• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake |OT| Party like it's 1998

GrayChild

True fans are fans who prefer RE1-3, CV and Zero. The real RE games before they went mainstream.

True RE fans play only leaked betas and limited demo disks, as they have not been dumbed down for mainstream audiences.

Also, RE 1.5 is the best game in the series.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I'm down for remakes of the first three games. We already got REmake and the ReREmake on current consoles. Nemesis is rumored to be in development right?

New visions for the first three and then do an actual Resident Evil 8 going back to the first person style of 7. That's what I'd prefer.

One more sleep, brehs.

JimmyJones

Banned
True RE fans play only leaked betas and limited demo disks, as they have not been dumbed down for mainstream audiences.

Poor attempt. The betas and 1.5 were still tank controls and fixed cameras so are still classic RE.

I hope you don't get offended by this remark, but have you been smoking legal highs or something? How can that be the best game in the whole franchise, when it's not even an officially released game? I'm not trying to be nasty or anything, but I really don't think some of the users here know what they are talking about when it comes to the legacy of this franchise.

Nickolaidas

RE7 is a rip-off of the Leatherface movies, and other films. Apart from the DLC, it was mainly its own self-contained story. It's a 'B' plus...
So basically you ignore every single gameplay element and focus solely on the film that inspired one third of the game's story? Unless texas chainsaw massacre also had deserted ships, goo monsters and bio terrors?

I don't really understand where you stand as a “true fan”of resident evil. You say re7 was shit and that the last true resident evil title we got was re6 but in your rant video re4 was the worst one in the series, you are all over the place

Also You seem so focussed on the series progressing its story but by updating an older title they are allowing people to get a peice of a story they would be missing. I never played the original and i dont want to go out of my way to play such an old game.

Mate, it's simple mathematics. Resident Evil 4 was nothing but a non scary and repetitive rip-off of Call of Duty. That trend continued with 5 and 6, and to an extent, most of the spin off titles were the same. They tried to make 6 like 2 with zombies being back in the series, and they failed. 7 was made to get on the P.T. bandwagon, and like I said, it is an okay horror game in its own right. It's just not a good Resident Evil game.

Because Konami had all these issues and had to cancel Silent Hills, Capcom decided just to pick up where they left off. They won't admit to that. Why would a Triple A development company own up to that?

Now they are only doing remakes because that's apparently what the lore wants. And some users here who don't like the story or stopped caring about the plot years ago clearly just like these games as games, so I don't get how they can say they are real fans.

The amount of people in this thread shouting "No True Scotsman" is hilarious. I've been with the series literally since it released on the PS1 and the series as a whole has a bunch of peaks and valleys and has changed focus and direction multiple different times over the last 25+ years, sometimes changing drastically in even the same generation of releases. Shit changes, sometimes you like it, sometimes you don't. No single person's opinion is better or worse on the matter. Someone didn't like RE7/RE2make? Get over it, mix your green+blue herb and trot on to another game and hope for the best the next go round.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Mate, it's simple mathematics. Resident Evil 4 was nothing but a non scary and repetitive rip-off of Call of Duty. That trend continued with 5 and 6, and to an extent, most of the spin off titles were the same. They tried to make 6 like 2 with zombies being back in the series, and they failed. 7 was made to get on the P.T. bandwagon, and like I said, it is an okay horror game in its own right. It's just not a good Resident Evil game.

Because Konami had all these issues and had to cancel Silent Hills, Capcom decided just to pick up where they left off. They won't admit to that. Why would a Triple A development company own up to that?

Now they are only doing remakes because that's apparently what the lore wants. And some users here who don't like the story or stopped caring about the plot years ago clearly just like these games as games, so I don't get how they can say they are real fans.
Everytime someone says outloud he is a true fan I want to throw up.

And comparing the still-slow gameplay of re4 to cod is flat out wrong.

Story is important to me too. Story and lore made me prefer mk to street fighter. But this opinion is unpopular and wrong on many levels. Games are games, first and foremost. Gameplay is the alpha and omega. Everything else is just cherry on top.

If you've actually completed Resident Evil 4, or watched the start of it on YouTube, you would know that the game done away with the key factors to the whole franchise immediately. There was no big war with the Umbrella Corporation to be seen. The game ended all that unceremoniously in the opening scene, and then the rest of the game was just an action shooter with a bizarre plot about parasites controlling villagers, with the name of the series associated with it. That's something you would get in a cheesy 70's science fiction flick. NOT with Resident Evil.

The entire series is a joke now because Capcom have sold out time and time again, because they didn't want to just keep it as a horror series like the original ones are. Even Wikipedia calls 1996 to 2004 the golden era of survival horror. All the other major horror franchises died a slow death because of the change from atmospheric horror to guns and cheap jump scares. Do you think that's just a fancy moniker then?

It's actually rather annoying how people don't see that the games they put out now are nothing compared to the classics, and they go constantly buying into what Capcom says and does.

LUXURY

Resident Evil 6 and 7 don’t really exist to me... certainly not as installments in the Resident Evil franchise. If 7 didn’t have “Resident Evil” attached to it, it could be another indie P.T “knock off”. 6 is just a giant mess with little redeeming qualities. At least parts of 7 were fun to play.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

If you've actually completed Resident Evil 4, or watched the start of it on YouTube, you would know that the game done away with the key factors to the whole franchise immediately. There was no big war with the Umbrella Corporation to be seen. The game ended all that unceremoniously in the opening scene, and then the rest of the game was just an action shooter with a bizarre plot about parasites controlling villagers, with the name of the series associated with it. That's something you would get in a cheesy 70's science fiction flick. NOT with Resident Evil.

The entire series is a joke now because Capcom have sold out time and time again, because they didn't want to just keep it as a horror series like the original ones are. Even Wikipedia calls 1996 to 2004 the golden era of survival horror. All the other major horror franchises died a slow death because of the change from atmospheric horror to guns and cheap jump scares. Do you think that's just a fancy moniker then?

It's actually rather annoying how people don't see that the games they put out now are nothing compared to the classics, and they go constantly buying into what Capcom says and does.
You complain that re4 removed horror and becoming cod, and you complain about re7 because it fixed those things?

Last edited:
Even Wikipedia calls 1996 to 2004 the golden era of survival horror. All the other major horror franchises died a slow death because of the change from atmospheric horror to guns and cheap jump scares. Do you think that's just a fancy moniker then?

Survival horror is slowing down on releases, but it is by NO means dead, there are tons of releases every year(especially on PC). Even then, some of those old mechanics are very antiquated and mostly pretty boring with today's advancements. And luckily, those games are still available to play so you can play them all you want.

As to your second point, It's almost as if most reasonable people don't look at RE(or most things in general) as a zero sum game and can enjoy things even if others don't. Strange concept for some people to grasp. I could probably make a well reasoned argument as to why Metal Gear Solid V is a bad Metal Gear but still a really awesome game, was I a bit disappointed with MGSV? Sure, but I found other things in that game that trump many aspects of my favorites in the series.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
The amount of people in this thread shouting "No True Scotsman" is hilarious. I've been with the series literally since it released on the PS1 and the series as a whole has a bunch of peaks and valleys and has changed focus and direction multiple different times over the last 25+ years, sometimes changing drastically in even the same generation of releases. Shit changes, sometimes you like it, sometimes you don't. No single person's opinion is better or worse on the matter. Someone didn't like RE7/RE2make? Get over it, mix your green+blue herb and trot on to another game and hope for the best the next go round.

When OTs devolve into this kind of petty schoolyard shit that's when you know the people are at their wits fucking end to get their hands on it :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Shifty

Mate, it's simple mathematics.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

What's the polynomial function for the quality of a Resident Evil title given its position in the series timeline and gameplay type? I want to see some LaTeX symbols here.

The best part is when your post condemning the idea gets a like from the very people shouting "No True Scotsman!", because they don't actually understand what it means :messenger_winking:

I wasn't referring to you, K.

I should probably keep quoting all my posts.
Do yourself a favour, familiarize yourself with the meaning of No True Scotsman in the context of your "only true fans" rhetoric

Last edited:
Well, I only have until tomorrow until my copy arrives from Amazon. I'm going to enjoy it and then move on, hoping that when Capcom puts out the next one, it will be better than the last several sequels. But my time with forums is coming to an end soon. I'm not sure what the point is anymore.

Imagine if Capcom ended up like Konami did, just out of the blue one day, and you were no longer crying about my posts, but seeing that I said things here with merit and pride. Do you know that history could indeed repeat itself if Capcom runs down to their last million dollars like they did before? You have to be prepared for that, because a financial disaster of that calibre can be so sudden - and hard.

Shifty

Imagine if Capcom ended up like Konami did, just out of the blue one day, and you were no longer crying about my posts, but seeing that I said things here with merit and pride. Do you know that history could indeed repeat itself if Capcom runs down to their last million dollars like they did before? You have to be prepared for that, because a financial disaster of that calibre can be so sudden - and hard.
C7I.gif

dolabla

Digital Foundry just posted part 1 of their 3 part series. First part is tech analysis:

EDIT: was beaten above, lol

Last edited:

Mega Man

Anyone know if it unlocks at midnight (based on timezone) on steam, XBL, and PSN? Or is there a different SET TIME?

ruvikx

Banned
Sperg Analysis

This video is loaded with spoilers, just in case someone gets caught by Digital Foundry's clumsiness.

Anyone know if it unlocks at midnight (based on timezone) on steam, XBL, and PSN? Or is there a different SET TIME?

On the product page on steam it says the game will unlock in approximately 8 hours (I'm central European time zone, so it'll either be midnight or 1 hour later).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Thread took turn.

This page is full of pure shit.

Things should be good now, assuming the mod message I got was any indication. Either way, I AM SO FREAKING HYPED. Sadly I won't get my copy until next week, but damn I cannot wait to blow up some zombs. Got all of next week off too for KH3 and RE2R.

GrayChild

The bad news: The delivery of my copy will be delayed with approximately 10 hours, so I'll be able to play the game tomorrow evening.
The good one: My local retailer just announced they are adding a free blu-ray copy of Resident Evil: Damnation with every preorder.

dan76

Shopto delivered a day early here in the U.K. so I've been playing for a couple of hours. No spoilers here.

So far this is everything I'd hoped this game would be. Great atmosphere, tight controls, deliberate pacing and that sense of progression you got from the old games (&7) where you are gradually working your way through a map, unlocking doors, finding puzzles and items that right now I gave no idea what they're for. This is pure RE, bring on remakes of 1,3, & CV if they're going to be anything like this.

Before playing I was thinking that I would shoot every zombie, the whole running away and dodging doesn't appeal to me, but I've been doing just that to concerve ammo. It's that risk reward thing that older RE's did so well and it's back. Though, it would be great to run around with a magnum headshotting everything, maybe this can be done at some point or on NG+.

Zombies do eat up ammo, and whilst the head pop is great it really makes you weigh up the whole situation. You could land a crit straight away or end up wasting 7 or 8 bullets. It sounds a bit crap, but in the game it adds to the tension. I'm playing on normal and so far haven't died, so perhaps it's a bit easy? Not sure, it's fun though and I've had a few close calls.

I want this to last, so I'm rationing myself, maybe an hour later after midnight. I've been waiting years for this and don't want it to be over by the weekend.

Ellis

Things should be good now, assuming the mod message I got was any indication. Either way, I AM SO FREAKING HYPED. Sadly I won't get my copy until next week, but damn I cannot wait to blow up some zombs. Got all of next week off too for KH3 and RE2R.

I took today and tomorrow off to play this.

Fiancée went fucking ape shit and told me to grow up.

Was worth it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I took today and tomorrow off to play this.

Fiancée went fucking ape shit and told me to grow up.

Was worth it.

Lol. Just tell her to grow up when she gets excited about a movie or pair of shoes. Hopefully you are exaggeratin' though. Nothing is good when your Fiance is angry that you are excited for something you enjoy.

Top Bottom