• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 (game) and Resident Evil 2 (movie) may not get that much cross-promo.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
BuddyChrist83 said:

do we really want them cross promoting?
Well, the new Dawn of the Dead and Outbreak sort of did(Trailer for Outbreak at the Dawn of the Dead movie), and getting released about a week or two from each other,

ACE

why would Sony cross-promote the movie with a gamecube game?

Doesn't take much to figure that out

TheDiave

Banned
No... No cross-promotion, because if the movie bombs, they'll blame RE4.

Remember the Tomb Raider: AoD and Cradle of Life incident?

Alcibiades

Sony Pictures does their own thing, separate from computer entertainment division, I don't think they care about system wars, although certainly higher ups like Kutagari may (though I doubt they'd be outraged or anything)...

it's beneficial for each that they be released close to each other IMO, but I may be wrong...

Kon Tiki

Banned
TheDiave said:
No... No cross-promotion, because if the movie bombs, they'll blame RE4.

Remember the Tomb Raider: AoD and Cradle of Life incident?

Have you seen still of the movie? It will have a hard time not bombing.

ACE said:
why would Sony cross-promote the movie with a gamecube game?

Doesn't take much to figure that out

Too much padawan training.

Alcibiades

well, I didn't mean cross-promote I guess, what I meant is indirectly...

I never expected RE4 ads in the movie or anything, what I meant is general word-of-mouth and people associating the name "Resident Evil" when they hear about the game/movie...

DrGAKMAN

Banned
efralope said:
Sony Pictures does their own thing, separate from computer entertainment division, I don't think they care about system wars, although certainly higher ups like Kutagari may (though I doubt they'd be outraged or anything)...

it's beneficial for each that they be released close to each other IMO, but I may be wrong...

Hey, I work for Blockbuster, and rumor is that after Viacom ditched us (Blockbuster says otherwise, but the truth is, they ditched us) that Columbia is looking to buy us. Gee, if that happens I wonder who won't be carrying the next X-BOX and who'll be carrying more PS3 stuff. Believe me, as a whole, it is Sony's goal to unify and hurt their competition. But it was funny when in the Godzilla DVD collection (Sony Pictures Classics) that they had big promo's for the GAMECUBE version of DAMM on each movie. Anyways, on a related note I think the ONLY reason the Resident Evil franchise isn't exclussive (despite Mr. Mikami wanting it as such) is 'cos of the movies done by Columbia/TriStar...and on a seperate note, Sony's done this before with other video game/Japanese anime/movie licenced properties, it's how they keep other companies their beotches.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
DrGAKMAN said:
Hey, I work for Blockbuster, and rumor is that after Viacom ditched us (Blockbuster says otherwise, but the truth is, they ditched us) that Columbia is looking to buy us. Gee, if that happens I wonder who won't be carrying the next X-BOX and who'll be carrying more PS3 stuff. Believe me, as a whole, it is Sony's goal to unify and hurt their competition. But it was funny when in the Godzilla DVD collection (Sony Pictures Classics) that they had big promo's for the GAMECUBE version of DAMM on each movie. Anyways, on a related note I think the ONLY reason the Resident Evil franchise isn't exclussive (despite Mr. Mikami wanting it as such) is 'cos of the movies done by Columbia/TriStar...and on a seperate note, Sony's done this before with other video game/Japanese anime/movie licenced properties, it's how they keep other companies their beotches.

Ummm...that is not entirely accurate. Columbia pictures is totally seperate from SCEI, so why would they cut their profits by not supporting X-Box Next? Haven't you seen Sony Music giving away X-Boxes? Things do not work like you are saying at Sony. Several other posters have already pointed this out. You even contradicted yourself with the Godzilla DVD collection story.

Alcibiades

DrGAKMAN said:

yeah, I saw in one of the Godzilla DVD's in Wal-Mart there was a sticker for God: DAMM and thought that was cool (didn't know it was a Sony release)

while I agree they may be trying to unify more (like how they showed off a Columbia movie and a Sony Music band with PSP) to take advantage of the film and music properties they have, in this case I would think Columbia is just trying to maximize the strength of the picture in the theatres to maximize the impact of their studios and for the future DVD strength and stuff...

they are apparantly spending $100 million on Spiderman 2 marketing BTW, so Columbia and Sony Pictures are focused on marketshare at the theatres, I bet Sony Pictures execs aren't that worried about the GCN vs. PS2 battle all that much if it means more dough for RE2 at the movies this fall...

border

If Sony were trying to "unify" to hurt the competition, then why is Spider Man 2 on multiple platforms? Why was the property licensed out to Activision, instead of being made by SCEA? Columbia has rights to all the designs and scenarios in the film (though obviously not the characters themselves)...

Resident Evil Apocalypse won't do very well anyhow. The first one had a paltry box office take, and sequels can rarely outpace the original. I don't think there is much to be gained or lost by releasing it very close to the videogame.

Alcibiades

thing is, I think DVD sales were reportedly good, so the movie did gain some sort of the following...

the first one made $40 million, and I imagine this new can will probably make at least $35 million...

Laurent

Why would Sony Pictures want to cross-promote its movie with a game that won't be publish on its platform? Can you have a more absurd idea?!

Although, Sony DID manage to include a special contest in Resident Evil: Outbreak to win special tickets to the premiere of Resident Evil: Apocalypse...

cvxfreak

Laurent said:
Why would Sony Pictures want to cross-promote its movie with a game that won't be publish on its platform? Can you have a more absurd idea?!

Although, Sony DID manage to include a special contest in Resident Evil: Outbreak to win special tickets to the premiere of Resident Evil: Apocalypse...

Sony Pictures isn't really affiliated with SCE. See SpiderMan 2 example.

Laurent

CVXFREAK said:
Sony Pictures isn't really affiliated with SCE. See SpiderMan 2 example.
I don't think that they (Sony) thought a SpiderMan videogame would be as successful. Is the game was as successful as the Resident Evil franchise?

Alcibiades

Laurent said:
I don't think that they (Sony) thought a SpiderMan videogame would be as successful. Is the game was as successful as the Resident Evil franchise?

actually, one of the Spiderman games on the PS-X (not affiliated with the movie) sold VERY well for Activision, so I don't see how it wouldn't be successful...

yes Spiderman from Activision has outsold REmake + RE:0 combined (of course it's 3 systems vs. 1, but still)...

cvxfreak

efralope said:
actually, one of the Spiderman games on the PS-X (not affiliated with the movie) sold VERY well for Activision, so I don't see how it wouldn't be successful...

yes Spiderman from Activision has outsold REmake + RE:0 combined (of course it's 3 systems vs. 1, but still)...

Spiderman on GC alone outsold REmake and Zero (not combined).

Culex

Banned
RE 4 should do just fine, epcially since it's coming out much closer to Christmas than any other high-profile game this year.

Laurent

efralope said:

Alot of people are waiting for Resident Evil: Apocalypse. It should be one of the biggest blockbuster of the year. In my opinion, only Nintendo would win in a partnership beetween the movie and the game since the popularity of GameCube isn't comparable to the success of PlayStation2.

The SpiderMan videogame is driven by the movie itself. Resident Evil: Apocalypse is driven by it's prequel that was driven by Capcom's videogame franchise. Resident Evil 4 has nothing to do with the movie. Therefore, they should be no association between them.

cvxfreak

I think Outbreak 2 would be more appropriate for cross-promotion. Outbreak 2 IS in Raccoon City like Apolcalypse is.

Laurent

CVXFREAK said:
I think Outbreak 2 would be more appropriate for cross-promotion. Outbreak 2 IS in Raccoon City like Apolcalypse is.
I agree. Even the Resident Evil logo on the US cover looks the same...

Alcibiades

well, the movie and the game may have "nothing" to do with each other, but having an success on either side can only help the other...

weren't they passing out movie-related stuff somewhere close to RE4 stuff at E3?

even if it more than breaks even with it's budget and does really well for a fall release, RE2 (the movie) is very unlikely to be "one of the year's biggest blockbusters"...

The first movie made $40 million, part 2 (Apocolypse) would have to make like 4-5 times that...

cvxfreak

I'd have to give the nod to efralope. I doubt Apocalypse will do too well in theatres, but RE4 CAN be helped regardless.

Alcibiades

that said, although it's coming from Sony, it's about the only movie from them that I wouldn't mind being an uber-success...

if it's a really huge hit then a positive side-effect is sure to be more talking about the upcoming game...

DrGAKMAN

Banned
border said:
If Sony were trying to "unify" to hurt the competition, then why is Spider Man 2 on multiple platforms? Why was the property licensed out to Activision, instead of being made by SCEA? Columbia has rights to all the designs and scenarios in the film (though obviously not the characters themselves)...

Spider-Man would be on all platforms 'cos Activision got the rights to do the games based off of it (and other Marvel properties) WAY before Sony got the movie rights. I would say Activision AND Marvel would have a say before Sony would. In fact there's alot of talk on how the 2ND Spider-Man almost didn't get made 'cos Sony tried to de-Marvelize it and the first one...in fact if Sony tries to pull anything there's been talk of Fox getting the rights for the third movie and the possibility of X-MEN and Daredevil movie cross-overs would be killer!

Deg

Banned
Resident Evil 4 is presenting something quite different from the movies. So i think cross promotion has a negative side to it. Capcom got get out there and say this is RE like you have never expereinced before.

Top Bottom