• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil; 4 Remake is releasing on 3. 24. 2023

deeptech

That last shot of Leon walking towards the village seems kinda janky to me, idk why. Also grass doesn't move when he touches it, seems cheap, i hope Capcom isn't just doing it for quick nostalgia bucks. It's also not on old consoles so i'd expect something at least resembling next gen visuals but it doesn't seem so

I'm optimistic but...

The best part of RE 4 is the goofy, cheesy charm. I'm afraid they're going to cut all that stuff and try to make it moody and scary and serious, and ruin it. I don't know how a character like RE 4's original Miguel, or Ashley, or even Leon would fit into the tone of that trailer. Let alone Salazar.

Reactions: Isa

Fools idol

Banned
I played the original game after taking a small dose of mushrooms and it traumatised me for life. Fucking worst trip of my life that weekend and the game scared me near to death, I was halucinating and throwing up for days with this messed up game stuck in my head.

So, say day 1 ye of little faith

The Fartist

Gold Member
I played the original game after taking a small dose of mushrooms and it traumatised me for life. Fucking worst trip of my life that weekend and the game scared me near to death, I was halucinating and throwing up for days with this messed up game stuck in my head.

So, say day 1 ye of little faith

ted 2 friends GIF

I'm optimistic but...

The best part of RE 4 is the goofy, cheesy charm. I'm afraid they're going to cut all that stuff and try to make it moody and scary and serious, and ruin it. I don't know how a character like RE 4's original Miguel, or Ashley, or even Leon would fit into the tone of that trailer. Let alone Salazar.
Salazar didn't even fit in the original game.

knguyen

Hopefully they'll add the option to have modern controls. I did not like the stop to aim mechanic. Leon is a badass, he should be able to move and shoot at the same time.

SuperGooey

I think this remake is going to be a lot more loyal to the original than people are expecting, and that includes the campy tone. Like, the moody, creepy and atmospheric parts of RE4 will be amplified in the remake, but the one-liners, campy moments, and over-the-top action will all be there. Like the original RE4, the remake will likely mostly advertise the moody village segments.

It's possible that RE4R will be closer to REmake in its remaking approach than the RE2/RE3 remake approach. In other words, RE4R will mostly play like the original with some streamlining-that means all the melee kicks and suplexes will be back. Moreover, the environments and bosses will all return, but completely remixed and expanded upon like REmake did. We aren't going to see massive areas and features cut this time.

At Capcom's showcase next week, I expect the RE4R team to address the worries fans may have after RE3R. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities for them to confirm that both Mercenaries and Separate Ways will return, and that all the content you loved from the original will return, but won't be exactly how you remember to keep you surprised.

Nickolaidas

I think this remake is going to be a lot more loyal to the original than people are expecting, and that includes the campy tone. Like, the moody, creepy and atmospheric parts of RE4 will be amplified in the remake, but the one-liners, campy moments, and over-the-top action will all be there. Like the original RE4, the remake will likely mostly advertise the moody village segments.

It's possible that RE4R will be closer to REmake in its remaking approach than the RE2/RE3 remake approach. In other words, RE4R will mostly play like the original with some streamlining-that means all the melee kicks and suplexes will be back. Moreover, the environments and bosses will all return, but completely remixed and expanded upon like REmake did. We aren't going to see massive areas and features cut this time.

At Capcom's showcase next week, I expect the RE4R team to address the worries fans may have after RE3R. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities for them to confirm that both Mercenaries and Separate Ways will return, and that all the content you loved from the original will return, but won't be exactly how you remember to keep you surprised.
Basically it'll all come down to the 'bingo' line. If it's in, they'll keep the cheese. If it's not, they're toning the silly down.

kunonabi

Should we take bets on whether or not the Bingo line is in the remake?
It might but I doubt it will land the same. Seeing REmake Leon turning into RE4's kung fu asshole is going to be an even bigger leap than when it happened to classic Leon.

SuperGooey

I'm on the side that he will say some variation of "Where's everyone going? Bingo?" Maybe something like "Yeah, I'll see ya at bingo later."

It might but I doubt it will land the same. Seeing REmake Leon turning into RE4's kung fu asshole is going to be an even bigger leap than when it happened to classic Leon.
It'll be different, but RE2R Leon has his own charming way of pulling out one-liners:
"Hope I don't have to write a report on this."
"I think I can fit it in my schedule."
"Cable car... interesting."
"He was friendly."

I mean, it's nothing as memorable as the RE4 lines, but I'm sure Nick Apostolides will have his own delivery of lines that'll match his style in RE4 remake. I also don't think we'll question the roundhouse kicks once we play the game.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I'm on the side that he will say some variation of "Where's everyone going? Bingo?" Maybe something like "Yeah, I'll see ya at bingo later."

It'll be different, but RE2R Leon has his own charming way of pulling out one-liners:
"Hope I don't have to write a report on this."
"I think I can fit it in my schedule."
"Cable car... interesting."
"He was friendly."

I mean, it's nothing as memorable as the RE4 lines, but I'm sure Nick Apostolides will have his own delivery of lines that'll match his style in RE4 remake. I also don't think we'll question the roundhouse kicks once we play the game.
Nick Apostolides? Mah boy is Greek?

Nickolaidas

How's this for a bet?

The bet is whether or not Leon will mention the word 'bingo' when the villagers retreat to the church.

Losers have to buy a copy of the game to the winners.

SuperGooey

How's this for a bet?

The bet is whether or not Leon will mention the word 'bingo' when the villagers retreat to the church.

Losers have to buy a copy of the game to the winners.
Or it could be an avatar bet. I'm broke as a joke right now.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They'll have familiar lines in there but reshuffled, like how the "you want STARS" line is used, but in a different location in RE3make.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Missed this while I was away, got a few texts about it while at a show.

Very exciting although it feels like we've known about it for a long time now. After REmake 2 this has the potential to be not only one of the best RE games but one of the best games of next year.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
It can't be any worse than the original RE4

or can it?
Honestly, I struggled with it for years, really couldn't understand the hype, but having finally beat it recently (and I failed more times than I can remember), I have to eat crow - it's pretty damned good and I never thought I'd say that. It takes a lot of adjustment to anyone more comfortable with modern TPS controls, but once you do adjust, it does work really well.

Honestly, I struggled with it for years, really couldn't understand the hype, but having finally beat it recently (and I failed more times than I can remember), I have to eat crow - it's pretty damned good and I never thought I'd say that. It takes a lot of adjustment to anyone more comfortable with modern TPS controls, but once you do adjust, it does work really well.
I played it close to release, RE was one of my favorite series (still is), I hate it, hate, it. Then what really gets on my nerve is how the same people that like RE4 shit on RE5 and RE6 that are just the continuation of what was introduced on RE4. Also, people shit on the controls of early RE games but RE4 still has tank controls and it's a third person game, pretty much inexcusable.

I wish I could say that I get why people like it but I honestly don't.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
I played it close to release, RE was one of my favorite series (still is), I hate it, hate, it. Then what really gets on my nerve is how the same people that like RE4 shit on RE5 and RE6 that are just the continuation of what was introduced on RE4. Also, people shit on the controls of early RE games but RE4 still has tank controls and it's a third person game, pretty much inexcusable.

I absolutely understand - I've said the same thing, and I do maintain that RE4 did lead to a downward spiral for the series that was only redressed with a return to the traditional design of original games in RE7 (albeit in first person). That said, I have found plenty to like about RE4 since finally 'getting it'. I'm looking forward to the remake, but totally sympathise with your position.

I really dont know how you can say RE6 was a continuation to anything. They literally threw all shit they had at the wall to see what would stick. Re6 is a terrible RE game.

I really dont know how you can say RE6 was a continuation to anything. They literally threw all shit they had at the wall to see what would stick. Re6 is a terrible RE game.
Yea, RE4, RE5 and RE6 are all terrible, I don't disagree with you.

Maybe the remake will be good, I can only hope so.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

How can it get on your nerve? RE5 got blasted when it released mostly due to forced Coop, which made is vastly different than 4. How this was "just a continuation" of what RE4 introduced you really have to explain mate.

SSfox

Yea, RE4, RE5 and RE6 are all terrible, I don't disagree with you.

Maybe the remake will be good, I can only hope so.
Story wise RE4 RE5 and RE6 are all bad. But the games are sill super great, specially RE4 which is legendary.

RE5 is hella fun on Coop, much less Solo.

RE6 is even less fun than RE5 but still good enough, Leon's campaign was good and the best, Jake/Sherry was between good and OK also, Chris's is a little rough, except at the very end, Ada's is very very bad and easily the worst.

Personally speaking mercenaries of those games are awesome and maybe the best part of those games, spend a bunch of time on RE5 and RE6 merc, it's hella specially Duo.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am wondering if I should play original RE4 before the remake comes out. On one hand I will play it in VR (and have heard that its pretty good) and will remember the game and can compare when the remake comes out (I played it once before in 2008 and don't remember anything).

On the other hand playing the remake directly would be like playing a new game from scratch. Decisions......

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Salazar didn't even fit in the original game.
I’m going to have to disagree. Salazar had his own castle. Not only that, but his family ruled the village area. On top of that it wasn’t uncommon to find young rulers in history, especially if they’re infected. He was the perfect “out of nowhere” villain. I’d love to see more surprises like Salazar in horror games. You weren’t expecting it, which is another reason this and CV are such great games.

EDMIX

lol I love em as just action games, but as the RE concept, they are horrid.

They should have just subtitled them and made them side things or something and kept the numbered games as the classic concept, as the action shit is not the norm of RE.

The fact that they are no longer even doing that concept should show it wasn't the norm in the first place. RE4,5 and 6 are the action ones and everything else is mostly the old concept of puzzles, back tracking to locked rooms etc.

So I agree, I don't think they are terrible btw, I think they stray too far from the RE concept.

lol I love em as just action games, but as the RE concept, they are horrid.

They should have just subtitled them and made them side things or something and kept the numbered games as the classic concept, as the action shit is not the norm of RE.

The fact that they are no longer even doing that concept should show it wasn't the norm in the first place. RE4,5 and 6 are the action ones and everything else is mostly the old concept of puzzles, back tracking to locked rooms etc.

So I agree, I don't think they are terrible btw, I think they stray too far from the RE concept.

To be honest I would agree kind of with RE5 but very much agree with RE6.

Played RE5 about a year or two ago with a friend in coop over steam. Was kinda okay. Storywise pure trash though.

I really do not like trying out RE6 again. I remember testing it out for like 10 or 20 minutes. Had to stop playing this garbage game because i was getting a stroke.
I couldn't wrap my head around this piece of shit game. It was like fast9 meeting Resident Evil. Shivers run down my spine remembering those up to 20 minutes.

skneogaf

Resident evil 6 is that bad I can't play it or even watch someone else play it to see the story.

I have no idea what happens in it yet I'm a fan of resident evil.

I guess I'd have to look for a small summary somewhere as I imagine it's pretty important as only Chris Redfield is in the later games, did they all turn into zombies or something? No idea.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Hopefully they'll add the option to have modern controls. I did not like the stop to aim mechanic. Leon is a badass, he should be able to move and shoot at the same time.
I don't think they can do that without completely changing the game, it may feel clunky but it is one of the ways that tension is raised.

For me, the controls are part of RE4s identity.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Resident evil 6 is that bad I can't play it or even watch someone else play it to see the story.

I have no idea what happens in it yet I'm a fan of resident evil.

I guess I'd have to look for a small summary somewhere as I imagine it's pretty important as only Chris Redfield is in the later games, did they all turn into zombies or something? No idea.
The basic story isn't that terrible but the motivations/backstory of the villains is garbage of the highest order and sinks the rest of it. It does do a better job of character work for the protagonists than RE4 and RE5 though. Well, aside from Chris who is saddled with the self-doubting leader shit again.

Filben

I never get over this weird and nonsensical date format.

Anyways, looking forward to! Really liked RE2 and 3 (prefered 2 over 3, though).

Top Bottom