• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil; 4 Remake is releasing on 3. 24. 2023

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I will play this at some point, but does anyone else worry that the environments are going to be too samey to RE VILLAGE? I'm worried about burnout with this one.

Well of course, Capcom are masters at reusing assets. It's one of the reasons they have such an efficient pipeline.

But it won't be like Village, for starters they're not restrained by last gen consoles, so they can push things to a logically higher level than before.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I would love a Code Veronica with the story reworked to make it more serious with better acting.
Since they already have a new model for Claire I somewhat think that this is going to be the next project for the Remake team. That or another complete Remake of the original with the new Jill model.

Anyway, if CV is their next project I'd be curious to know if they again keep the number out or instead call if RE5: Code Veronica.

Elysion

Banned
I just had a thought, if they ever intend to do a(nother) remake of Resident Evil 1, they might as well combine it with Resident Evil Zero. RE1 on its own is a bit too short for a proper AAA game, but if they combine it with 0 they can tell the origin story of the franchise in a single game. Maybe have two scenarios with different starting points: one with Chris and Jill, and another with Rebecca and Billy, and eventually the two groups meet in the mansion.

Anyway, if CV is their next project I'd be curious to know if they again keep the number out or instead call if RE5: Code Veronica.
That would be interesting, but that would mean there are two RE5s lol. But it’s possible, if they change the timeline a bit and have the events of CV occur parallel to RE4. And if Capcom ever decides to remake the original RE5, then they should put some of the story beats from RE6 into it, and call it RE6. Because let’s be honest, the plot of RE6 was a mess and way over the top, and didn’t really have any big revelations for the rest of the series, so the game might as well be expunged from the new timeline.

So the new RE series would then look something like this:

-Resident Evil 1 (modern remake that combines RE1+RE0)
-Resident Evil 2 (the remake we got)
-Resident Evil 3 (the remake we got)
-Resident Evil 4 (modern remake of RE4, has some elements from the earlier beta version of RE4)
-Resident Evil 5 (modern remake of Code Veronica; takes place roughly at the same time as the RE4 remake)
-Resident Evil 6 (modern remake of the original RE5; also contains some plot elements and characters from the
original RE6)

And then the timeline continues with RE7, followed by RE8 etc.

Nickolaidas

Couldn't resist.

dRv7vr9.png

Doom85

Couldn't resist.

dRv7vr9.png

And Neil reads that and is (rightfully) all:

GIF by Giphy QA

Seriously, dude was just expressing hype like most of us. Learn some chill. If I saw a writer I didn’t care for post a tweet about being hyped for RE 4 Remake, like say the Eragon books author, I wouldn’t be all, “well thank god you’re not handling the script!” Like, oh no, he wrote something I didn’t care for, I see no reason to go after him on something that has jack and shit to do with what he wrote himself.

But hey, good for you. I’m sure you singlehandedly altered the future of Naughty Dog.

James Corden Applause GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I just had a thought, if they ever intend to do a(nother) remake of Resident Evil 1, they might as well combine it with Resident Evil Zero. RE1 on its own is a bit too short for a proper AAA game, but if they combine it with 0 they can tell the origin story of the franchise in a single game. Maybe have two scenarios with different starting points: one with Chris and Jill, and another with Rebecca and Billy, and eventually the two groups meet in the mansion.

That would be interesting, but that would mean there are two RE5s lol. But it’s possible, if they change the timeline a bit and have the events of CV occur parallel to RE4. And if Capcom ever decides to remake the original RE5, then they should put some of the story beats from RE6 into it, and call it RE6. Because let’s be honest, the plot of RE6 was a mess and way over the top, and didn’t really have any big revelations for the rest of the series, so the game might as well be expunged from the new timeline.

So the new RE series would then look something like this:

-Resident Evil 1 (modern remake that combines RE1+RE0)
-Resident Evil 2 (the remake we got)
-Resident Evil 3 (the remake we got)
-Resident Evil 4 (modern remake of RE4, has some elements from the earlier beta version of RE4)
-Resident Evil 5 (modern remake of Code Veronica; takes place roughly at the same time as the RE4 remake)
-Resident Evil 6 (modern remake of the original RE5; also contains some plot elements and characters from the
original RE6)

And then the timeline continues with RE7, followed by RE8 etc.
I was thinking about soemthing along the same line. It would be a perfect way to get the story back on an acceptable track. I do think that Capcom realized down the line that they went way of the charts with RE6 and going forward they would need to get the games and their stories even bigger in scale, which no one actually wanted. So by taking CV and turning it into 5 and then vastly rewriting the original 5 (away with all that Wesker selling the virus worldwide) they could build a new and solid foundation for the future where the games do no have to as big in scale any more.

I think that RE4 and what role they give Wesker in it should give us a good clue on what Capcom intends to do with the series.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

And Neil reads that and is (rightfully) all:

GIF by Giphy QA

Seriously, dude was just expressing hype like most of us. Learn some chill. If I saw a writer I didn’t care for post a tweet about being hyped for RE 4 Remake, like say the Eragon books author, I wouldn’t be all, “well thank god you’re not handling the script!” Like, oh no, he wrote something I didn’t care for, I see no reason to go after him on something that has jack and shit to do with what he wrote himself.

But hey, good for you. I’m sure you singlehandedly altered the future of Naughty Dog.

James Corden Applause GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
Oh, the irony.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Doom85

And it seems to annoy you. Hence your reply.

Hence the IRONY.

My sweet summer child, the point, if you learned to read, was you went out of your way to criticize this guy when he was simply expressing excitement the way most of us were when RE 4 Remake got announced. You opened fire first, so SHOCKER, someone might fire back at you, and I’m SO SORRY that you naively thought that posting your little tweet would result in nothing but praise and that someone might DARE to call you out for it on how obnoxious it came across.

But hey, if that’s your goal in life, to be annoying, congratulations. You’re an annoying little bi-oh, can’t say that, err, you’re just annoying. So mission accomplished on your part.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Clap GIF

Of course, the ACTUAL irony is you trying to annoy people…..by obviously projecting how much a video game from two years ago continues to annoy you.

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

Nickolaidas

My sweet summer child, the point, if you learned to read, was you went out of your way to criticize this guy when he was simply expressing excitement the way most of us were when RE 4 Remake got announced. You opened fire first, so SHOCKER, someone might fire back at you, and I’m SO SORRY that you naively thought that posting your little tweet would result in nothing but praise and that someone might DARE to call you out for it on how obnoxious it came across.

But hey, if that’s your goal in life, to be annoying, congratulations. You’re an annoying little bi-oh, can’t say that, err, you’re just annoying. So mission accomplished on your part.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Clap GIF

Of course, the ACTUAL irony is you trying to annoy people…..by obviously projecting how much a video game from two years ago continues to annoy you.

Danger 5 Laughing GIF
You're right. I'm sorry.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Do you guys think this is the last one?
I mean as enjoyable as they are, everything after RE4 should be took back to drawing board

• Thoughtful

Nickolaidas

I mean as enjoyable as they are, everything after RE4 should be took back to drawing board
I think RE1 is coming at 2026, because that year's RE's 30th anniversary, so I can see them doing RE1make (again). Capcom said they'd love to remake it once more.

Until then? Veronica, I think.

Doom85

Nah, they could still remake Code Veronica, hell even 0 if they want.

And they could remake 5, it does after all conclude the fight against Wesker (well, Albert at least) so it’s obviously important to the lore. Just give it more of a horror edge, and obviously Sheva’s AI will be far better now, yeah it could still work. Africa (though for fucks’ sake, name a specific country, Capcom, you wouldn’t say a game is set in ‘Asia’ now would you? Same shit with 4, just say Spain…and use the right dialects next time!) does make for a unique setting and it would be cool to see it with modern graphics.

6, I dunno, it was so bloated. Maybe make it focus on just Leon/Helena and Jake/Sherry. Rewrite Chris’ and Ada’s whole section so they still appear but just as supporting characters. Also, write better villains, I can barely remember them in 6. There was like some corrupt politician, and he’s the only one I vaguely remember. But I say this is the one entry they could just choose to ignore out of all of them as it didn’t really resolve any past plot threads or set up many future ones. I like Jake for example but I feel despite how important he could have been that he won’t be showing up in the future timeline anytime soon. I imagine Wesker-wise we’re far more likely to get a follow up on Alex at some point.

Really, if/when they remake 5, they then should add new entries set before 7 (via the Revelations brand or another side game title, obviously 9 would be set after 8). Capcom never needed to keep the games’ timeline roughly parallel to our current years, it’s not like gamers would have been confused if each entry had only advanced the timeline a few months as long as the beginning of each game clarified the year. Hell, Street Fighter 6 has Chun-Li looking like she’s only just reached her late 30’s despite being an adult since SF2 which came out 30 years ago. But with RE, we got Chris already in his late 40’s for fucks’ sake.

So yeah, they need to find a way to have more games with the established characters. For all the praise 7 and 8 get, I never hear anyone say that Ethan was a better protagonist than pretty much all of the OG RE leads.

Nickolaidas

Surely they'll go back and remake the original over the shoulder or in first person. Right? They'd be insane not to.
Yeah. There's no way they're going for tank controls in this day and age. First person would be interesting. The Spencer mansion would be scary as fuck in first person, if the Baker estate is anything to go by. Extremely claustrophobic environments work wonders with first person for tension and stress.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Couldn't resist.

dRv7vr9.png
I’d honestly bet he’s probably a lot more aware of the medium than people give him credit for. I’ve seen posts of his, showing off games he’s played over the years. He isn’t sitting there name blasting and giving us lectures on how the game has so many flaws. I bet you Naughty Dog could easily make a third person horror game beyond The Last of Us. Speaking of which, have you ever been behind a shelf in a store while hearing a clicker on the other side? It’s terrifying.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Couldn't resist.

dRv7vr9.png

giphy.gif

I would say that even Capcom Development Division 1 is on thin ice with the making of RE4Remake. The OG game was perfect, it didn't warrant a remake. All bets are off now that the dice has been cast.

On the other hand, this is how Shinji Mikami, director of the OG RE4, reacted to the unveiling of the remake

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I would say that even Capcom Development Division 1 is on thin ice with the making of RE4Remake. The OG game was perfect, it didn't warrant a remake. All bets are off now that the dice has been cast.

On the other hand, this is how Shinji Mikami, director of the OG RE4, reacted to the unveiling of the remake

He thinks they are a bunch of noodles?

• LOL

Doom85

He thinks they are a bunch of noodles?

Mikami is just trying to divert our attention to anything random he can think of in the hopes we’ll all forget his promise to cut off his own head if Resident Evil 4 ever got ported outside of the GameCube.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
hat's true. But I won't be getting the original game with better graphics and improved gameplay. Instead I'll be getting a reimagining of sorts of that game, and that doesn't make me happy.
Well, most people here agree that RE4 aged very well and is a good game 15 years later. We really don't need a remake to hold it up to modern standards because it's stood the test of time. A reimagining that shows it in a different light and appeals to a different demographic (one who loved the originals on PS1) would be more suitable than just a graphical overhaul.

sainraja

That's true. But I won't be getting the original game with better graphics and improved gameplay. Instead I'll be getting a reimagining of sorts of that game, and that doesn't make me happy.

I guess some people will like the changes, some don't and, probably, most people won't care at all. Whatever, I hope the game sells well and we keep getting more RE titles at the stady pace we are getting used to.
For me, when the game came out, I didn't buy it to play it myself for a while....due to the silly merchant and other cheesiness they added (saw my friend play where I saw all that and said no way I am done with the series), I did eventually come around to it and just had to ignore the cheesiness; wasn't my favorite part of the game. So if they are taking it away from this one, I am going to be happy, however, if they are able to find a way to have an arcade mode with those aspects intact, I won't complain. But yeah, my preference is towards getting the remake without all that.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

People saying that RE1 needs another remake and that tank controls suck even on the original remake, are weak and will not survive the winter.
In capable hands, and with today's technology, RE1 remake 2023 could blow the 2002 remake out of the water.

People who can't see this are either grossly ignorant, or can't see clearly due to nostalgia goggles.

Could they fuck it up? Sure they could. But they could make it far more amazing than the gamecube version. They got the tech, all they need is talent.

In capable hands, and with today's technology, RE1 remake 2023 could blow the 2002 remake out of the water.

People who can't see this are either grossly ignorant, or can't see clearly due to nostalgia goggles.

Could they fuck it up? Sure they could. But they could make it far more amazing than the gamecube version. They got the tech, all they need is talent.

Yeah, no. If a game has a remake already than its done, no need to re-imagine the same game every 15-20 years.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

I remember playing through the original on Gamecube, PS2, and Wii. The chainsaw guys and the regenerators were, by far, the scariest fuckers in the game.

I can't wait to shit myself all over again in 4K60 with ray-tracing.

dDoc

While I am looking forward to the RE4remake....here's an idea Capcom. How about you create a new game based in the same universe, use new characters and supersede all previous titles in the RE universe?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
While I am looking forward to the RE4remake....here's an idea Capcom. How about you create a new game based in the same universe, use new characters and supersede all previous titles in the RE universe?
They are? As for the past few years they‘ve been bouncing back and forth between Remakes and new RE titles, which is just fine.

Top Bottom