• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake - New Details and Pictures Revealed

Gambit2483

By the way, for comparison...just in case the Nostalgia goggles are on

dK1HBb9.jpg

Not even really close, huh?
We got the Capcom C-Team on the most beloved entry in the series for some reason.
It's not the C-Team at all though. They literally have the RE2 Remake team working on this which is the best team.

Rain does look bad but the game doesn't. You are comparing very short games with a game that has a 14+ hour campaign most likely with way more enemies, bosses, and gameplay mechanics. In other words you can polish the shit out of a 6 hour game with cut content. It still looks great I just wish they put this much respect into the previous remakes and didn't cut content.

GymWolf

I don't get the hype. Seems like the same game but with modified stuff which could arguably make the game worse.
They changed the lighting, changed the atmosphere, made a new and soulless UI, put in gameplay changes just because... nah, not for me, although I might get it later at a discount to check it out since I guess the game will still be fun to play.

Imo, RE2 and RE3 remakes made sense, but this one doesn't.
Re3 remake with a lot of cutted content and arguably a worse iteration of nemesis made sense over re4 remake?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I never said it's better or worse, just different, which for a remake is a miss imo.

Kind of like what happened with the Demon's Souls remake: they focused on adding as much stuff to the environments as possible and as many lighting effects as possible to make it look technically better, losing the original atmosphere of the game in the process.
To each their own. Unless the devs do a HUGE miss, I do not consider it feasible to remake a game 10-20 years later and not be able to surpass it in any way.

I guess there can be some people who will claim that the PS3 version of Dead Space is more atmospheric than the remake's. But I simply cannot take that opinion seriously. I can't.

Nickolaidas

Atmosphere isn't easily defined for the undiscerning FunkoPop Crunchyroll crowd.
They're going to love everything no matter what anyway.

I'd say atmosphere is a product of high level artistry applied in a way designed to immerse and elicit feeling.

It's easier to put your finger on elements that are atmosphere-breaking like that rain.
I'm willing to bet that I've been gaming when you were still inside your father's balls.

Rain's shit, I'm not disputing that, but hopefully that isn't the final version of those effects. Let's not forget that RE8 ran like shit in the reveal trailer and it was perfectly optimized by the time it was released.

Rain aside, did you see Leon walking around the creepy cottages in the shadows, and thought that the Gamecube version (which has almost no shadow effects at all to that effect) looked more atmospheric?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Re3 remake with a lot of cutted content and arguably a worse iteration of nemesis made sense over re4 remake?
nah that one sucked ass, specially coming from RE2 Remake, which was amazing.

Thing is, yes, it made more sense to remake 3 than to remake 4, just not the way they did.

To each their own. Unless the devs do a HUGE miss, I do not consider it feasible to remake a game 10-20 years later and not be able to surpass it in any way.
I can't agree with that. Why would it be better? Just because of the better graphics? Because they changed some gameplay mechanics? Because the later could be for the worse instead of the better.

I guess there can be some people who will claim that the PS3 version of Dead Space is more atmospheric than the remake's. But I simply cannot take that opinion seriously. I can't.
I'm one of those. Guess you can stop quoting me at all. :goog_relieved:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Looking forward to the game but I really wish they would've ditched the last-gen versions. It really doesn't look any better than RE2/3/Village.

We're nearly 3 years into the generation at this point. Let's start actually fucking building games to take advantage of this new hardware, ffs.

GymWolf

nah that one sucked ass, specially coming from RE2 Remake, which was amazing.

Thing is, yes, it made more sense to remake 3 than to remake 4, just not the way they did.

I can't agree with that. Why would it be better? Just because of the better graphics? Because they changed some gameplay mechanics? Because the later could be for the worse instead of the better.

I'm one of those. Guess you can stop quoting me at all. :goog_relieved:
Because vanilla re4 plays better than vanilla 3?

I see no other reasons tbh.

Re5 is where i draw a line when it comes to unnecessary remakes, but tbh i prefer remakes of old titles over the new ones with first person camera.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Because vanilla re4 plays better than vanilla 3?

I see no other reasons tbh.
Not better or worse, but different. I'm just saying that the remakes of 2 and 3 are played in a total different way than the vanilla games, which justifies the remake.
Meanwhile 4 vanilla and 4 remake look like the same game, just with the later having better graphics and some gameplay changes that we'll have to see if are there for the better or worse.

Re5 is where i draw a line when it comes to unnecessary remakes, but tbh i prefer remakes of old titles over the new ones with first person camera.
Yeah me too. In general I love remakes of old games, it's just that I don't like this current trend of remaking games that play the same or almost the same as the vanilla ones.

In fact I'm almost sure this one will play nicely, it's a Capcom game after all. It's just that I don't see myself getting hyped over it and spending my money unless it's on a sale. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Yeah. RE2 had lots of cut content as well, and other issues that prevented it from being amazing. Yet it's funny how RE2 is very rarely spoken of in the same light, as if hardly anyone considers it a bad remake.

GymWolf

Yeah. RE2 had lots of cut content as well, and other issues that prevented it from being amazing. Yet it's funny how RE2 is very rarely spoken of in the same light, as if hardly anyone considers it a bad remake.
Don't worry, i usually never lose the chance to troll greedycom for locking the original ost behind a paywall or the fact that i still VASTLY prefer the vanilla game over the remake.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just don't like how every UI nowadays looks the same. White and sterile icons and lines, no context, no personality.

7EB63am.jpg

Without any context, if you'd look at the image of the left, you'll immediately recognize it as the RE4 map screen. Do the same with the one on the right and I'll bet it'd took you some time to realize, since it looks just about the same as any other modern game.

It's the smallest of my concerns with this remake, but I don't like it.
It's the netflixifiction of UI. Not as bad here but tragic in xbox ui and forza

EDMIX

We apparently have "low standard" for liking it. We have to be obsessing over graphics just like everyone else in GAF, if you dont you are not true gamer.

This.

Folks who obsess over IP like this and act as if THEY ALONE can tell what a franchise can or can't do can never really be believed. They exaggerate any and everything and its the easiest ignore in your life, trust me lol

I love RE4 and I saw nothing wrong with those screens. It looks amazing and is a clear day 1 for any Resident Evil fan.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
I don't quite get it.. people say RE4 Remake is only graphics advanced then the original... yet when i tried playing the original isn't the controls dated? i may remembering wrong since it's been couple of years since i tried RE4 but aren't you control like the old games? like you can't move Leon while shooting? for that alone it's worth a modern version for me.

Nickolaidas

I don't quite get it.. people say RE4 Remake is only graphics advanced then the original... yet when i tried playing the original isn't the controls dated? i may remembering wrong since it's been couple of years since i tried RE4 but aren't you control like the old games? like you can't move Leon while shooting? for that alone it's worth a modern version for me.
It'S pArT oF tHe AtMoSpHeRe!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yep. The og is cumbersome to control. I tried playing it again not long ago and gave up pretty quickly because of it. It's still an all-time great but that part as aged poorly.

cool - i hope you can turn off that glowing red icon when ashley is being carried. breaks the immersion.

shes already wearing an orange jacket, that should be enough of an identifier that shes over the shoulder

cow head guy looks cool, his hammer less so

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
The fact that you don't is literally :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lemme guess, you also think that the PSX version of RE1 was a lot more atmospheric than the Gamecube remake? Cause that's what you sound like.

Hey guys, check it out - apparently this
pXa78JW.png

is a LOT more atmospheric than this.
6mXiVz3.png

This
s6piWIF.png

is a lot more atmospheric than this
5tn0kea.png

Maybe you'd want them to go 'back to the roots' and do it like this?
gGW5ovM.png

Soft lighting vs hard lighting.
Matte vs shiny materials.
Dark, high contrast night vs fully lit, low contrast night
Grain vs clinically clean IQ.

Yep, totally the same thing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ristifer

Yeah, and I'm saying you're wrong :messenger_winking:

It just looks like a generic AAA title that nobody would look at twice if it wasn't piggybacking on the legacy of the original.
These comments are lame. Obviously its popularity is based on the fact that it's remaking a legendary game. I'm pretty sure that, disastrous looking rain effects aside, people would be looking at the game regardless.

consoul

Terrible rain aside, it looks alright to me. I'm more upset about the introduction of knife durability.

Why? Leon can't afford a decent knife now? RE4 was all about knife usage. Now we have to put up with knife breakage in RE4 just because they did it in RE2/3 Remakes. This is the real downgrade.

Guess I'm off to the Merchant to buy a set of cheapo steak knives.

TintoConCasera

So if a game doesn't control like every other game in the market, that means that it's controls are dated, right?

I dunno bros, but maybe the combat and encounters were designed with that in mind.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

People just want to rage and hate on everything no matter the case these days, lmao.

I think it looks outstanding. The only thing that looks odd to me is the rain, at least in videos. In images it looks great. I'm sure that rain is gonna change. Even if it didn't, everything else makes up for it ten fold, and there's still so much to see.

Original RE4 still can be played in all modern systems, so if they are not happy with this Remake they can just play that.
Exactly. Best thing about remakes. Don't like it? Ignore it, and continue to love the original.

sainraja

Haha, I am just saying...they had to go in and change things in the original trilogy of games that got the remake treatment, so why not do the same with RE4? I was excited to get a more "serious" version of RE4 without the "cheesy" merchant trying to sell you things. The only thing I remember him being good for, was when me and my friend decided to shoot him and to our surprise, you actually could...then we both got worried if he would show up again but unfortunately he did. 😂

Last edited:

CuNi

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?!?!

I DON'T KNOW!
NO WONDER I WAS GETTING LOST IN THE CASTLE AND PRISON, HOLY FUCK!!
I LITERALLY ONLY EVER OPENED THE INVENTORY AND THAT'S IT!!!

I am screaming internally at me right now.

Last edited:
I really hope they don't fuck this up. I own every version of RE4 that has been released but I'm worried based off what I'm seeing here and the things I've read about new mechanics. (breakable knives)

Personally the thing that would put me off the game entirely is if they add a Mr. X/ Nemesis enemy to be in constant pursuit the entire game. I like murdering all the things and being able to go treasure hunting.

This is why I haven't played the other 2 remakes. I want to play how I want to play not be rushed through an area because "reasons"

Top Bottom