• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake - New Details and Pictures Revealed

Killer8

No QTEs is disappointing. In the original game they were basically used as an attention check. They kept you on edge because, at least on the first playthrough, you didn't know when to expect them. Kind of defuses some of the tension of the remake knowing it has none.

QTEs are not a bad thing and many games like God of War and RE4 benefited from them, but the internet is now dead set on "DUURRR QTE BAD! QTE LAZY DESIGN!" so now developers can't even use them in their design toolbox any more.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Haha, I am just saying...they had to go in and change things in the original trilogy of games that got the remake treatment, so why not do the same with RE4? I was excited to get a more "serious" version of RE4
I personally don’t want that so I’m glad they kept the merchant, I’m pretty I’m not alone on this since devs themselves decided to bring him back.

sainraja

I personally don’t want that so I’m glad they kept the merchant, I’m pretty I’m not alone on this since devs themselves decided to bring him back.
Well, I definitely would have preferred it. No merchant, no need to kill him each time. :D Maybe this is better...I get to kill him every time I see him.

Nickolaidas

Terrible rain aside, it looks alright to me. I'm more upset about the introduction of knife durability.

Why? Leon can't afford a decent knife now? RE4 was all about knife usage. Now we have to put up with knife breakage in RE4 just because they did it in RE2/3 Remakes. This is the real downgrade.

Guess I'm off to the Merchant to buy a set of cheapo steak knives.
That's because the knife can now be used to break grapple attacks as well as protect you from chainsaw insta-deaths. Its uses were expanded, and it gained durability in order to not be OP, like in RE2make.

Nickolaidas

Yeah, and I'm saying you're wrong :messenger_winking:

It just looks like a generic AAA title that nobody would look at twice if it wasn't piggybacking on the legacy of the original.
And what exactly about the original was visually unique. Were the cupboards made with unique, never before seen polygons? Or the cottages? Or the crows? Or the dull-brown color palette used in half of the PS2's library?

What was it about the assets of the original that immediately screamed originality, compared to the bland, plain, and boring graphics of the remake?

Teach me, senpai!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I dunno to me it looks absurdly fantastic and making the game ever bigger and deeper sounds phenomenal.

It's weird to me how little we've seen of the game with it coming out in a month and a half or so. For the most part, I like what I've seen, but I am a little nervous about this one. It sounds like they might be trying to do a bit too much with it, in terms of updating the general design, while also still being too similar (over the shoulder third person shooter for the original and the remake vs fixed camera angles to tps for Re2 and 3 remakes).

I'll still be getting no matter what, but I'm a bit less excited about this one. I still want a Code Veronica remake, damnit.

It's impossible to please everyone, but they all play it anyway. The people that complain the loudest are the very first ones to buy it. That's why they should use Lizzo for Ashley's new model. 💲💲💲

kyussman

This is the first game this gen that has got me thinking about getting a next gen console......sad but true.

shiru

Banned
The fact that you don't is literally :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lemme guess, you also think that the PSX version of RE1 was a lot more atmospheric than the Gamecube remake? Cause that's what you sound like.

Hey guys, check it out - apparently this
pXa78JW.png

is a LOT more atmospheric than this.
6mXiVz3.png

This
s6piWIF.png

is a lot more atmospheric than this
5tn0kea.png

Maybe you'd want them to go 'back to the roots' and do it like this?
gGW5ovM.png

You have no idea what you're talking about.

That's because the knife can now be used to break grapple attacks as well as protect you from chainsaw insta-deaths. Its uses were expanded, and it gained durability in order to not be OP, like in RE2make.
I will never understand the, "we didn't want it to be OP" argument in a single player game. Who gives a shit?

Games are entertainment, escapism, and power fantasies.

I'm fine with weapon degradation existing, just give us an option make it part of the "UBER" difficulty or some shit.

Raonak

Banned
This is gonna be great!

people shouldn't really compare in development screenshots to high quality ingame pics.

Last edited:

sachos

Didn't want to watch at the pics or video too closely to not spoil myself eventhough i already played the original but i agree with the rain complain, they have to change that. The water hitting Leon looks cool though. I'll reserve my judgment until we see the final product and good capture from it but so far other than the rain and some lights not casting shadows its looking pretty fucking good. Leon looks mean as fuck.

Last edited:
The rain effects are pretty bad. Not as impressed by the graphics as I thought I would be, but then again, it is not only about visuals.

Salz01

Anybody know if separate ways is part of this remake? I feel like they hint it, but is it confirmed?

Nickolaidas

I will never understand the, "we didn't want it to be OP" argument in a single player game. Who gives a shit?

Games are entertainment, escapism, and power fantasies.

I'm fine with weapon degradation existing, just give us an option make it part of the "UBER" difficulty or some shit.
I do! I give a shit! Because in a survival horror game, what I don't want is to have my character being able to ridiculously overpower my enemies, because I will immediately stop feeling tense when they approach me.

OCASM

Banned
And what exactly about the original was visually unique. Were the cupboards made with unique, never before seen polygons? Or the cottages? Or the crows? Or the dull-brown color palette used in half of the PS2's library?

What was it about the assets of the original that immediately screamed originality, compared to the bland, plain, and boring graphics of the remake?

Teach me, senpai!
Already did. Pay attention kid :messenger_winking:

DavidGzz

I like the rain. Seems to add to the intensity of the moment and gets in the way a little like it would if it were actually hitting your face IRL. Maybe it was done for the VR mode.

shiru

Banned

Teach me, senpai!
I don't know, play it I guess.

Nickolaidas

Oh, my God!! IT HAS GRAIN?!?! HOLY FUCK!! You're right!! Grain immediately screams RE4 because no other game had grain before!! It was the GRAIN that made RE4 aesthetically unique and recognizable!! And the soft lighting!! Immediate RE4 staple!!
I don't know, play it I guess.
So basically, you have no clue. Like the infant above you.

bender

What time is it?
The good news with RE4 being one of the most ported games ever is that going back to the original is hassle free.

nkarafo

That was your mistake. You played the downgraded PS2 port, not the original. Gamecube original looks a lot better and, at parts, more colorful.

Other than the rain, the colors in that scene look too saturated. And most of the screenshots in the OT look downright awful and that's not even an opinion. The blacks are obviously crushed in most and they look oversaturated. Some also have a color grading filter on top for some reason.

I don't think this is how the game really looks like though, it's either someone who messed up the video settings or some kind of post production took place for the trailer/screens. I suspect this was done because the screens/video would look better on a tiny mobile screen in the middle of the day? I'm saying this because i initially saw the footage/screens on my phone and i didn't think it looked that bad. But looking at them again on my PC, they look god awful.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Yes. Play that instead of this shoddy remake.

Purists were always going to be disappointed and that's not a knock, but unlike Demon Souls or Ico/SOTC, we can still easily boot the original. RE4:R was always going to be disappointing to one degree or another but that's what Capcom gets for remaking one of the greatest games of all time that has mechanics that still hold up really well.

Nickolaidas

That was your mistake. You played the downgraded PS2 port, not the original. Gamecube original looks a lot better and, at parts, more colorful.

Other than the rain, the colors in that scene look too saturated. And most of the screenshots in the OT look downright awful and that's not even an opinion. The blacks are obviously crushed in most and they look oversaturated. Some also have a color grading filter on top for some reason.

I don't think this is how the game really looks like though, it's either someone who messed up the video settings or some kind of post production took place for the trailer/screens. I suspect this was done because the screens/video would look better on a tiny mobile screen in the middle of the day? I'm saying this because i initially saw the footage/screens on my phone and i didn't think it looked that bad. But looking at them again on my PC, they look god awful.
I had the Gamecube version, then bought the PC version dvd (back then), then bought the PS4 version, then bought the Steam version. It's been 20 something years since I saw the Gamecube version, but I do not remember it being better than the pc version besides gamepad being the better way to play.

I'm experienced enough with gaming to fully agree with you that the (recent) screens do not do the game justice, but based on RE7,2,3 and 8, can easily imagine how great the actual game is going to look.

But for the life of me, I do not remember the Gamecube version not having a 'main' color dominating the screen.

There is nothing unique to the original's lighting, there is nothing 'classic' to the grain or the original's shadows. And the fact that some people here are trying to prove that a 25 year old game can pull off shadows, lighting and atmosphere better than it can today is simply laughable.

Last edited:
9SL6hIO.png
Can we discuss this shot from the initial reveal trailer?

Ignoring Leon’s butt chin, it looks gorgeous. CGI? It’s possible. RE games still use a tiny amount of it in each release. I’m guessing that’s footage from the opening.

For fun:
-RE7 used CGI for part of the opening, the end of the shipwreck segment, and the ending
-RE2 had it for the useless opening title sequence
-RE3 had it for the opening, the explosion at the end, and the post-credits sequence
-RE8 had it for its opening

Last edited:

nkarafo

I had the Gamecube version, then bought the PC version dvd (back then), then bought the PS4 version, then bought the Steam version. It's been 20 something years since I saw the Gamecube version, but I do not remember it being better than the pc version besides gamepad being the better way to play.

I'm experienced enough with gaming to fully agree with you that the (recent) screens do not do the game justice, but based on RE7,2,3 and 8, can easily imagine how great the actual game is going to look.

But for the life of me, I do not remember the Gamecube version not having a 'main' color dominating the screen.

There is nothing unique to the original's lighting, there is nothing 'classic' to the grain or the original's shadows. And the fact that some people here are trying to prove that a 25 year old game can pull off shadows, lighting and atmosphere better than it can today is simply laughable.

Personally, i only ever fully played the Gamecube version. I tried the PS2 one and i remember that i found the downgrade noticeable.

Grainy art direction isn't my favorite but if i had to choose between that and those screenshots, i would go with the original. But like i said, i'm sure they are not representative of the real game. I had issues with RE2 and RE3 remakes too because the default colors were too washed out. Thankfully you could fix that in the video options, by doing the opposite of what the games recommend you to do. Maybe something similar is happening here? We'll see.

I'm curious though. What do you think about the Gamecube REmake? It's considered one of the best remakes ever made and pretty much every RE fan loves it. And i'm one of them. Yet, compared to the colorful, bright original, it's dark, grainy and almost monochromatic. Do you think it looks worse because of that? Personally, i don't mind. As long as the overall picture is balanced right, everything goes. But i would be interested in seeing a similar remake of the first game, to see the more colorful PS1 version of the mansion, using modern tech.

Last edited:

nkarafo

The actual game is meant to have 'soul'. The UI is meant to impart information.

I disagree

dXpNHnN.jpg

r4OtjKK.jpg

First is Metroid Prime, second is Kingdom Come. I love it when games have memorable, stylized UIs/maps. I hate the "general information" style. That's good for web pages, road signs and metro/train stations but not games, IMO.

Nickolaidas

Personally, i only ever fully played the Gamecube version. I tried the PS2 one and i remember that i found the downgrade noticeable.

Grainy art direction isn't my favorite but if i had to choose between that and those screenshots, i would go with the original. But like i said, i'm sure they are not representative of the real game. I had issues with RE2 and RE3 remakes too because the default colors were too washed out. Thankfully you could fix that in the video options, by doing the opposite of what the games recommend you to do. Maybe something similar is happening here? We'll see.

I'm curious though. What do you think about the Gamecube REmake? It's considered one of the best remakes ever made and pretty much every RE fan loves it. And i'm one of them. Yet, compared to the colorful, bright original, it's dark, grainy and almost monochromatic. Do you think it looks worse because of that? Personally, i don't mind. As long as the overall picture is balanced right, everything goes. But i would be interested in seeing a similar remake of the first game, to see the more colorful PS1 version of the mansion, using modern tech.
I approve any change which amplifies feelings of isolation, dread and despair. Playing the gamecube remake felt like the original was a charming fairytale, while RE1make was like living the nightmare. It was glorious. It also proves that remaking a horror game years later is almost a definite improvement, due to hardware advancement.

RE4make seems to be taking the original and doing what RE1make did: darker, more claustophobic, more tense. In my eyes, it is fixing all the broken things RE4 had.

Because, for me, RE4 was a great action game, but a bad RE game, only to get handed RE5's beer, and then RE6's. One game worse after the other.

Then RE7 came, and said, 'no. We're doing this the right way from now on.'

So, yes, RE4make improves the original in every single way, and loses nothing in return, except for not having the novelty of making shoulder-view shooters a thing.

nkarafo

So, yes, RE4make improves the original in every single way, and loses nothing in return, except for not having the novelty of making shoulder-view shooters a thing.

How do you know that? We only see how it looks so far (or close to how it will look). Is there any info about the game being less action oriented and closer to the classic RE design?

RE4make seems to be taking the original and doing what RE1make did: darker, more claustophobic, more tense. In my eyes, it is fixing all the broken things RE4 had.

How is it darker? Yes, in this footage and screens the blacks are crushed but the highlights are strong and it's so oversaturated to the point of being funny. The contrast is too damn high. It looks like ass but it does make things easier to see (i could see everything on my phone, in daylight). If that was original RE4 footage i would not be able to see a thing.

Nickolaidas

How do you know that?
Because of what Capcom has been doing so far with new RE games and their remakes, and because of the high quality screenshots we've gotten so far. Not the recent ones.

You've experienced two RE games and two REmakes in the RE Engine so far. The course of the ship has been laid for all to see.

GymWolf

It's impossible to please everyone, but they all play it anyway. The people that complain the loudest are the very first ones to buy it. That's why they should use Lizzo for Ashley's new model. 💲💲💲
That would be smart, no enemy in the game is strong enough to lift and kidnapp that chick.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I disagree

dXpNHnN.jpg

r4OtjKK.jpg

First is Metroid Prime, second is Kingdom Come. I love it when games have memorable, stylized UIs/maps. I hate the "general information" style. That's good for web pages, road signs and metro/train stations but not games, IMO.
Yes those are really great. I'm just saying that if a UI is simply clean and functional then that shouldn't be taken as a negative just because it's not handdrawn or lavishly animated.

nkarafo

Yes those are really great. I'm just saying that if a UI is simply clean and functional then that shouldn't be taken as a negative just because it's not handdrawn or lavishly animated.

Sure. But if you take one that's already stylised and remake it to be simpler and cleaner, you are changing the original art direction. Which is a negative in most cases.

Spaceman292

Banned
Sure. But if you take one that's already stylised and remake it to be simpler and cleaner, you are changing the original art direction. Which is a negative in most cases.
The original UI in RE4 looks pretty dated and Gamecubey. It'd look out of place in the remake.

moniker

I DON'T KNOW!
NO WONDER I WAS GETTING LOST IN THE CASTLE AND PRISON, HOLY FUCK!!
I LITERALLY ONLY EVER OPENED THE INVENTORY AND THAT'S IT!!!

I am screaming internally at me right now.

How? You can even buy treasure maps from the merchant that marks the location of treasures on your map.

shiru

Banned
Not everyone subscribes to the idea that throwing more shit at the screen and spamming garish effects makes art or visuals inherently better. RE4 is an incredible looking game with masterfully crafted visuals that look great even today. Its art direction and visual mood was on point and dismissing it as a generic run of the mill brownfest just makes you sound clueless, on top of being butthurt that some people aren't praising the ugly shiny babby's first UE game aesthetic of this remake and gameplay changes thanks to whiny babies. But you're probably the type who gets impressed by those shitty 'x game remade in UE4' youtube videos so it's no wonder you're also impressed by this remake, you simply like the shiny shaders motion blur galore/visual spam, like most here, art direction be damned.

Or the dull-brown color palette used in half of the PS2's library?
You pulled this out of your ass. The PS2 era was a lot more varied in terms of visual styles than any subsequent generation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom