• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake/RE Village, Assassin's Creed Mirage and Death Stranding coming to iPhone 15 Pro

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Where do you see this?
I3CqJpn.png

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Why can't this come to high end android phones
Because the Android platform is open source and caters to an insane amount of hardware with most of that hardware being older (on avg).

You may get this on super high end android hardware but I would expect it to be locked to a manufactures “store front” (like the Samsung Store or ASUS marketplace).

Kurotri

The Switch has Nintendo exclusives and doesn't play "AAA" games. Not a lot anyway. Most people that buy a Switch do not get it to play the newest Assassin's Creed on it. You are comparing the Switch and the iPhone just because they fall under the "handheld" category but I believe there's a bit more nuance there.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

PS portal? Sure, 8" ps5 graphics around my home... but this? no. Not for real games

No problem. Just get a pair of AR glasses and you can be playing as if you're in front of a 55' oled.... on your work lunch break.

Look man this is some of the best news ever seen for mobile gaming.

Solidus_T

I don’t know how they can make this work without controllers but good for those who want to play it on a phone.

I know phones can use controller but not every phone user has a phone compatible controller.
The iPhone supports DualSense controllers natively, so it should be pretty easy to use a controller in these games without buying a backbone. You can always get one of those phone attachments for a controller or a backbone controller too.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The Switch has Nintendo exclusives and doesn't play "AAA" games. Not a lot anyway.
A lot of the major marketing of the device was that it promised that it could play AAA quality games though, even if not actually (very) true. One of the first commercials showed off Skyrim being docked to a TV and also being played in portable mode.

Keep in mind this was a dedicated device everyone had to pay 300 dollars for. This is coming to the most popular phone in the US (and Japan if i recall correctly, which will especially be insane considering how much portable gaming is valued over there). Everyone's got an Iphone, many gamers do too.

Last edited:
Even if it would run at higher FPS and quality (it absolutely won't, btw) it will just thermal throttle after like 15-20 min of use and start dropping frames like crazy.

Video is time-stamped. The thermal throttling destroys the perf on that iPhone 14 Pro. This is will never happen in a home console which is designed to deliver a consistent experience no matter what.

It remains to be seen if Apple ever starts caring about sustained performance but if they want to keep hyping gaming like this they will have to. We'll see. You are right that iPhones are the most notorious for throttling while gaming, high end Androids hold a good frame rate in gaming much better than iPhones do.

Kurotri

A lot of the major marketing of the device was that it promised that it could play AAA quality games though, even if not actually (very) true. One of the first commercials showed off Skyrim being docked to a TV and also being played in portable mode.

Keep in mind this was a dedicated device everyone had to pay 300 dollars for. This is coming to the most popular phone in the US (and Japan if i recall correctly, which will especially be insane considering how much portable gaming is valued over there). Everyone's got an Iphone, many gamers do too.
I suppose you're right about that, I forgot about those early commercials. It will be interesting to see how the situation will look like a few years from now for sure.

Imtjnotu

Because Qualcomm are hopelessly behind Apple in their SoC's and also only a few Androids will have the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 that supports RT whereas Apple will have 100+ million iPhone 15 Pro install base by the end of next year ready for RT supporting games

People don't understand Apple will have an RT supporting install base as large as PS5 and Xbox Series COMBINED in less than a year

And then they complain on GAF about gaming on phones being literally 10x larger market than console gaming, maybe if Gaffers bought a new phone more often than once every decade they would actually have phones and know people game on phones

The reality is Apple moving to RT support will galvanize RT support on consoles, because phones are actually what lead the way in gaming these days
Qualcomm is ahead of apple in Gpu performance by a good amount and has been for a few years now. Apple is alot better in single and multicore performance.

Qualcomm is ahead of apple in Gpu performance by a good amount and has been for a few years now. Apple is alot better in single and multicore performance.
Qualcomm only pulled ahead of Apple's old GPU with the SD8G2 and the GPU in the A17 is all new. They're back to chasing now as usual

MacReady13

I’m just here for the meltdowns. This is gonna be fun. With this and AC Mirage coming to mobile… we’ll see how the narrative starts to change that mobile gaming isn’t real gaming.
Well clearly it wasn't real gaming until REAL games like this started to appear on mobile. Let's see how it goes with touch controls though, as I've tried "gaming" on my phone with touch controls (Sonic the hedgehog) and it was AWFUL!

Shakka43

Hopefully this takes off and more console like games make their way to Mobiles. The hardware is certainly capable enough these days. Need them on Android though, not going back to iPhone any time soon.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I know phones can use controller but not every phone user has a phone compatible controller.

Also, chances are you are going to get a lot of input lag with a bluetooth controller on a phone. My experience with this matter so far has been abysmal.

People play more on their phones than consoles. Been that way for years now.

Not these kind of games. They play stuff specifically made for a touch screen and also mostly of the casual flair.

Last edited:
Since RE4 Remake didn't come out on X1, I think many forget that it came out on PS4...

Running 1600x900 at 35-50 fps. So on iPhone you're going to get very low res and probably 30 or less fps. This isn't what people think it is. It's just Apple getting a start at trying to get these games to populate their storefront.

Hudo

It could be, but will it? It's for phones the prices of 2-3 PS5s or a mid range PC, there's no way the battery would also go to shit. If they launched with this an iPad or their Macs then I'd be curious but there's nothing about gaming in the Apple ecosystem I want to invest in
This + do you really want to play "AAA" games (or any games, really) on a touch-screen-only device?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Since RE4 Remake didn't come out on X1, I think many forget that it came out on PS4...

Running 1600x900 at 35-50 fps. So on iPhone you're going to get very low res and probably 30 or less fps. This isn't what people think it is. It's just Apple getting a start at trying to get these games to populate their storefront.
The A17 is much more powerful than a PS4.

Puscifer

This + do you really want to play "AAA" games (or any games, really) on a touch-screen-only device?
I mean you can get a controller attachment but I'm always feeling like when it comes to phones their longevity is in question. 32 Bit apps were basically non existent after they arbitrarily decided it wasn't worth it, apps become broken because of changes to the OS from updates to push features. Obviously technology changes and there's no denying it but I do have to wonder with all the volatility of the mobile market that it's an okay use of your money? Literally today is Steams 20th birthday and that's 20 years of purchases that are still good when you can't even guarantee my apps will work a year from now

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hardware ray tracing and the launch of assassins creed mirage, resident evil 4 and village
If apple have managed to get day one releases of AAA console/pc games. This could be massive
To play on a phone? I think most will know where the better experience will be and it won't be on tablets and phones.

Good on them for the HW, whatever that's worth.

spons

Gold Member
I for one am happy Apple finally entered the high-end gaming market. Can't wait to see how they fuck it up like Amazon, Google, Sega, Soulja Boy, etc.

Red5

Looks cool, but anecdotally speaking, I've yet to meet someone in real life who bought an actual game on their Iphone that was a AAA release, only kids games or battlepasses for PUBG or Fortnite. I've only bought Streets of Rage 4 on my Ipad.

Seems to me that no matter how powerful smartphones become, they will still remain GACHA and F2P gaming machines.

Looks my iphone 13 pro max is worth 580 bucks, Thats almost half the price of a new resident evil paying handheld. Just have to add 16 bucks a month to the price of my cell phone bill to fund the other half, and this game will be mine!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This just shows that the switch 2 ps5 graphics is possible

How? These games aren't actually going to have PS5 level graphics on this phone. Besides, RE4 and Village are cross-gen, and Mirage doesn't exactly scream next-gen either.

Plus, Nintendo isn't gonna make a $1500 Switch, lol.

Last edited:
Who wants to play on their phone sure.
But if you can plug into the tv or airplay then it’s fairly handy. Grip controller while mobile, plug into tv when at home

Bernoulli

M2 slut
How? These games aren't actually going to have PS5 level graphics on this phone. Besides, RE4 and Village are cross-gen, and Mirage doesn't exactly scream next-gen either.

Plus, Nintendo isn't gonna make a $1500 Switch, lol.
you are underestimating nvidia's power

Tegra X1 was released in 2015 and is on 20nm

the jump is going to be insane

Dr.Morris79

we’ll see how the narrative starts to change that mobile gaming isn’t real gaming.
Narrative? Mobiles have been out for what? 20+ years with a million iterations..

Chucking a few nice looking games on them isnt going to change any narrative.

Top Bottom