• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 biohazard - "Lantern" Gameplay Trailer

Gaz_RB

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";214008870]Levels in this game look beautiful. Inside of the dilapidated house looks awesome with the broken support beams.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with this. The RE environments/atmosphere is definitely there.

Astral Dog

This isn't entirely true, though. There was never, at least not that I remember/am aware of, a stealth based section in any RE game like this trailer.

is that so bad in an horror game?
these are new characters, probably without the combat experience of BSAA, and hell, they could just be innocent civilians and thats what this trailer is showing
i think the RE movies messed the heads of RE fans.

Amirnol

On the IGN stream they just said the game will have all the staples of the RE franchise, they are just revealing things one at a time, with a focus on the new elements of the game. You all should chill and give props to a studio trying something different with a long, established franchise. Encourage growth and change, not stagnation. RE6 proved to me that they had pushed to the limits of the RE4 formula.

At gamescon, combat and inventory management was reassured just now at the IGN stream.

Oh that's interesting.

On the IGN stream they just said the game will have all the staples of the RE franchise, they are just revealing things one at a one, with a focus on the new elements of the game. You all should chill and give props to a studio trying something different with a long, established franchise. Encourage growth and change, not stagnation. RE6 proved to me that they had pushed to the limits of the RE4 formula.

LIIIEEESSSSS

Jobbs

Banned
On the IGN stream they just said the game will have all the staples of the RE franchise, they are just revealing things one at a time, with a focus on the new elements of the game. You all should chill and give props to a studio trying something different with a long, established franchise. Encourage growth and change, not stagnation. RE6 proved to me that they had pushed to the limits of the RE4 formula.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think RE6's problem was the formula. RE6's problem was that it just wasn't very good... and too much soldier shooter cover shooter bullshit

RER2 was fantastic, if low budget. A full budget game sort of in that style would be something I'd buy right away.

cripterion

I'm not the person you asked but it has combat and inventory management. Even green herbs for healing.

That's all it takes for it to be Resident Evil for you? I guess the Witcher 3 is Resident Evil too.

Resident Evil is cheesy, it's Racoon City, it's the different viruses, zombies, mutations, S.T.A.R.S, puzzles in the mansion, third person, etc...
Not some camera footage crap with ring girl jump scares.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hmn, I have some points to make but I'm curious of how I should approach this.

As someone who actually plays all the "random Steam Indie Horror Games", I disagree with a lot of sentiments this looks like one of them. I could go into a rather detailed breakdown on why actually, but I do see why people think that on face value, but that comparison literally doesn't go beyond seeing it's a first-person horror game with hiding as an option, but that's what most people will see and will have pessimism for without really understanding what makes those games different to each other in the first place, or the various bits we already know. Many would just rise against my breakdown and talking about game design since they want to justify their worries, and I'm not sure me talking about it would add any to discussion rather than people being, "No, you're wrong!", due to disagreements and I doubt there's many here who have actually played as many of the indie horror games on Steam, AND as many of the classic PSX/PS2/SEGA/etc. horror games of yesteryear, and spend a lot of times breaking down their gameplay elements to understand what makes them work and not work.

Part of me wants to make an info dump topic on RE7, though they don't want to show too much yet, there's a lot that's been said and shown that forms a better picture of the game than what many seem to be assuming it is. But many won't believe it until they see it, and will argue on why "you can't believe words', though this also comes in part from the demo and trailers, but people will be amendment to how they're piecing things together from what's been shown.

Part of me wants to make a topic on first-person horror in general, this is a more general topic than the first point. I actually prefer third-person horror as well to first-person, but years ago I was a person who loathed first-person horror games due to cliches and stereotypes of them that I formed in my head. Now that I have actually played maybe over a hundred of these, I can say there's some radical differences between them which I think many write off these type of games due to stereotypes of how they play in their head. Some here even think they're all same-y and dull since it's just rinse and repeat the same gameplay cycle over and over again, but that's not actually true of any of the good ones, and part of me wants to make a topic talking about that since it seems to be a common misconception.

This is inspiring me to talk about it, but I'm not sure how I should approach this. I understand I don't need to sway people, and very much probably won't no matter what I do since I'm just a horror enthusiast who is just sharing what he knows, his thoughts, etc., and people are justified to feel whatever they feel. But I do want to make arguments and clear some common misconceptions it seems as an enthusiast, I am passionate for the genre and I think RE7 holds incredible promise most just aren't seeing yet since they're taking it as a "me too!" game, but I see a lot more than that and want to make a case for it. What to do, what to do...

brau

For a little while i thought the demo was just a different take on the genre, and the actual game would not be anything like it.

No idea where i got that idea from.

As far as the trailer goes, i thought it looked creepy. I definitely would like to get a VR set just to play this tho. It looks like it would be fun, but i do hope there is branching to it, or it will kill any replayability. Still looking forward to it. I wish they can do something really horror like that Agony game tho. That game looks insane.

Trying something different doesn't deserve props, only benefit of the doubt. Especially when it comes to Capcom how badly they fucked up with RE6. A game that didn't know what it wanted to be and still failed. I'm not saying this looks bad but I won't say it looks good either. It just looks whatever and that's not how I want to feel about this series.

If they pull it off, then yeah, I'll give them props. For now though, I can do cautious optimism.

Well, I'm not about to judge the game based on what we've got now but I hope it turns to be something else than an Amnesia/Outlast/Alien Isolation type of game, those games are great but they surely aren't what I personally expect from Resident Evil.

It is true that RE has reinvented itself over the years but even RE4 was built on the foundation of the original games in the series, as of now this seems like a complete departure which is something I am not linking much. I mean, you can still make an atmospheric and scary game without completely discarding action, like the original Dead Space.

sublimit

Banned

Growth and change is one thing ,turning something into something completely different (and keeping its name) is another.

Anyway we'll see,there's not much we can talk about until they finally show the "Resident Evil" parts.Even then i'd be suspicious on how well they keep a balance with the Amnesia/Outlast/PT parts.

RocknRola

Is this confirmed gameplay? Or is it another tease, like the demo?

If its confirmed gameplay, it kinda felt like a sequel to Outlast, mixed with a bit of Amnesia. Not in itself bad (if you're a fan of that style of horror which I am), but not exactly what I (or most of us I feel) have come to expect of the RE series.

Definitely interested though, it's a bold new approach for them. Hopefully they'll deliver a great game.

Kyolux

Part of me wants to make a topic on first-person horror in general, this is a more general topic than the first point. I actually prefer third-person horror as well to first-person, but years ago I was a person who loathed first-person horror games due to cliches and stereotypes of them that I formed in my head. Now that I have actually played maybe over a hundred of these, I can say there's some radical differences between them which I think many write off these type of games due to stereotypes of how they play in their head. Some here even think they're all same-y and dull since it's just rinse and repeat the same gameplay cycle over and over again, but that's not actually true of any of the good ones, and part of me wants to make a topic talking about that since it seems to be a common misconception.

Please do.

I'm really curious about good suggestions in the genre too.

Please don't be difficult and next suggest that every game with a gun in it is a shooter. Really, don't do that. :p

I will do that, because a 'shooter' is a needlessly broad description of something

It's still a third-person shooter, though. The field of view offered by the camera doesn't define a genre.

It does, actually. Specifics beats broadness each and every time

I'm not saying RE4 was a clone of something else on the market, but it was a clear appeal to fans of action games and shooters, many of whom couldn't get into the classic RE games. But that said, whether it created a new genre or not, it's really irrelevant to the point I was making when you quoted me initially. Resident Evil 4 is not the same genre as its predecessors. They are completely different types of games, much in the same way RE7 looks to be a different genre from RE4-RE6. That's all I was really saying. When the final version of RE4 first got unveiled, it couldn't have looked any more different from what RE was known as at the time. It's funny seeing history repeating itself.

You were responding to a post that was talking about people's reaction to a potential genre shift inspired by chasing popular genres by saying you saw the same thing with RE4 in the initial post I quoted. My point was that was disingenuous, because RE4 was not chasing a genre. Arguably, the genre RE4 was part of didn't exist in that state before RE4. It's not the same thing now as RE7, since clearly RE7 is taking a lot of cues from recent game horror trends. You can maybe say RE4 was chasing a trend of being more action focused in the gaming industry, but even that is arguable, since RE4 can be seen as one of the games that started that overall trend, too.

is that so bad in an horror game?
these are new characters, probably without the combat experience of BSAA, and hell, they could just be innocent civilians and thats what this trailer is showing
i think the RE movies messed the heads of RE fans.

I never said it was a bad thing. You ignore the context of that response.

DedValve

Banned
Trying something different doesn't deserve props, only benefit of the doubt. Especially when it comes to Capcom how badly they fucked up with RE6. A game that didn't know what it wanted to be and still failed. I'm not saying this looks bad but I won't say it looks good either. It just looks whatever and that's not how I want to feel about this series.

If they pull it off, then yeah, I'll give them props. For now though, I can do cautious optimism.

RE6 knew exactly what it wanted to be just like RE5 and 4 before it. It just didn't do it well and was bogged down by "this is what modern western games do" bullshit like forced walking sections with a lot of uncharted esque setpieces.

Ryuuga

Banned

The reaction is based on what they've decided to show. Of course the game will have xyz, but we're commenting on what we current see and that it doesn't sit well with some. Also I can't consider a franchise growing by standing in the shadow of titles in it's respective genre. I'm all for change, but more for the genre itself.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";214010928]I mean, RE4 is one of the best games of all time and people reacted to that the same way you guys are in here.[/QUOTE]

I don't really care what anyone says, I will always see this as revisionist history.

This thread has taught me that you aren't allowed to form opinions on actual footage of a game.

People are judging what has been shown so far because... that's what has been shown. Once they reveal combat (as long as it doesn't look total trash) and other more traditional RE elements then more people will probably come around to it.

Exodust

Banned

While there might be those who are against purely on change and not what the change is, I doubt I and other RE fans are here are only bitching about that.

The problem is not that it changes completely, the problem is what the change is in and of itself. I don't have the problem with it being less like RE6, while I enjoyed parts of the Leon campaign it was a complete mess of a game. It's not dialing back on action, more so the lack of action elements that if we're being honest was always in the series. RE2 is probably everybody's favorite of the classic RE formula and that was Horror-Action all the way, tank controls or not.

It's not that it's a big new change, as it's an adherence to what has been the popular horror game type for years now. Which signifies less breaking the shackles for creativity's sake, and more of going with the more cost effective route.

Lots of RE fans, from classic RE tanks to RE4 fans to Mercenaries junkies to all of the above just don't like the Amnesia or PT type of game. That's where the disappointment comes from. And how it really doesn't look like it has a lot of elements from the past is bothering RE fans even more.

As for what they said on the stream, who cares? I've heard the same shit over more and less disappointing games. You never really know till you play the game. Till then footage is all we got, and the footage so far doesn't inspire much confidence that it isn't the case.

Jawmuncher

Hmn, I have some points to make but I'm curious of how I should approach this.

As someone who actually plays all the "random Steam Indie Horror Games", I disagree with a lot of sentiments this looks like one of them. I could go into a rather detailed breakdown on why actually, but I do see why people think that on face value, but that comparison literally doesn't go beyond seeing it's a first-person horror game with hiding as an option, but that's what most people will see and will have pessimism for without really understanding what makes those games different to each other in the first place, or the various bits we already know. Many would just rise against my breakdown and talking about game design since they want to justify their worries, and I'm not sure me talking about it would add any to discussion rather than people being, "No, you're wrong!", due to disagreements and I doubt there's many here who have actually played as many of the indie horror games on Steam, AND as many of the classic PSX/PS2/SEGA/etc. horror games of yesteryear, and spend a lot of times breaking down their gameplay elements to understand what makes them work and not work.

Part of me wants to make an info dump topic on RE7, though they don't want to show too much yet, there's a lot that's been said and shown that forms a better picture of the game than what many seem to be assuming it is. But many won't believe it until they see it, and will argue on why "you can't believe words', though this also comes in part from the demo and trailers, but people will be amendment to how they're piecing things together from what's been shown.

This is inspiring me to talk about it, but I'm not sure how I should approach this. I understand I don't need to sway people, and very much probably won't no matter what I do since I'm just a horror enthusiast who is just sharing what he knows, his thoughts, etc., and people are justified to feel whatever they feel. But I do want to make arguments and clear some common misconceptions it seems as an enthusiast, I am passionate for the genre and I think RE7 holds incredible promise most just aren't seeing yet since they're taking it as a "me too!" game, but I see a lot more than that and want to make a case for it. What to do, what to do...

Well i'm glad someone is seeing it, because atm I havent seen enough to even decide how I really feel.

Beginning hour was good and all, and i really liked this trailer. I'm worried that it'll turn into another Outlast though. We don't need more slow clunky amnesia copies.

Trying something different doesn't deserve props

Yes it absolutely does. If this game were another RE4 attempt it would be labeled as another try hard. The majority of the fan base have cried for the series to go back to being survival horror. They're taking this and trying new things with this concept with this series. People consistently whine when everything is the same or too safe.

It's not that taking Resident Evil to first person is some unique idea in general but it is new for the mainline series, and just because game x or y has did their thing in first person doesn't mean there's nothing else new or different that can be done in said perspective; it's like saying Call of Duty is a ripoff of Doom.

Szadek

The game comes out in a few months and the really need to show the combat ,survival elements maybe even puzzles, because currently they are making it look like in-name-only sequel.

Jawmuncher

Yes it absolutely does. If this game were another RE4 attempt it would be labeled as another try hard. The majority of the fan base have cried for the series to go back to being survival horror. They're taking this and trying new things with this concept with this series. People consistently whine when everything is the same or too safe.

It's not that taking Resident Evil to first person is some unique idea in general but it is new for the mainline series, and just because game x or y has did their thing in first person doesn't mean there's nothing else new or different that can be done in said perspective; it's like saying Call of Duty is a ripoff of Doom.

You can't tell me Dino Crisis 3 deserves props.

cripterion

This thread has taught me that you aren't allowed to form opinions on actual footage of a game.

People are judging what has been shown so far because... that's what has been shown. Once they reveal combat (as long as it doesn't look total trash) and other more traditional RE elements then more people will probably come around to it.

I won't, I'm not down with it being first person.

The game comes out in a few months and the really need to show the combat ,survival elements maybe even puzzles, because currently they are making it look like in-name-only sequel.

They have Tokyo Game Show next month. Paris Game Week in October. PSX and The Video Game Awards in December.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
who thinks wesker is in this?

You can see someone who looks like Ozwell E. Spencer in the original RE7 trailer and there were weird Wesker hints in Umbrella Corps, which takes place between RE6 and RE7, so actually maybe. I'll continue writing some stuff here.

Ryuuga

Banned

You should also note that if you do decide to be critical that in reality you're angry or need to calm down. Optimism has now become a prerequisite for civil discourse.

Jawmuncher

You can see someone who looks like Ozwell E. Spencer in the original RE7 trailer and there were weird Wesker hints in Umbrella Corps, which takes place between RE6 and RE7, so actually maybe. I'll continue writing some stuff here.

I think that's a girl in the wheelchair, if you look at it again.
That's what I see anyway with a bit more on brightness.
Cn_ftvqWYAAClBt.jpg

sublimit

Banned
Lots of RE fans, from classic RE tanks to RE4 fans to Mercenaries junkies to all of the above just don't like the Amnesia or PT type of game.

If they keep the Amnesia/Oulast parts to a bare minimum then i think i will not have a problem.

But if the whole game is built upon these concepts instead of the classic RE elements then this game will be the final nail in the RE coffin for me.

Exodust

Banned

Bitching about something being too safe or too different will always happen with everything no matter what. That's not the main issue, nor is it a reason to stay the same or change dramatically. Every long standing series has reasons people were hooked on it in the first place, the best examples of new entries is something that changes while still respecting where it came from. Bringing in new fans while pleasing older fans, RE4 falls in that category.

Very few RE fans actually hate 4 compared to the rest who either loved it or thought they'd still prefer the classic style. It's been detailed here by others, but RE4 had gameplay changes but still had all the RE elements there, including horror.

RE7 looks like it sacrificed a lot more than RE4 did, and not by going in a direction that's unheard of either.

Valid point though I'd argue it only does to an extent. There's a number of games that tried something different that I doubt any would give props to (as mentioned above, Dino Crisis 3). Just because they're trying something new to this series doesn't mean anything if it isn't doing it for me at the moment and especially if it doesn't work in the end. Capcom has let me down too many times for me to be fully positive about this and I hate saying that but it's true. I want this to be good and for me to go from on the fence to fucking excited.

Right now, this isn't inspiring confidence so I don't see why I'd give them any more than the benefit of the doubt.

That's all it takes for it to be Resident Evil for you? I guess the Witcher 3 is Resident Evil too.

Resident Evil is cheesy, it's Racoon City, it's the different viruses, zombies, mutations, S.T.A.R.S, puzzles in the mansion, third person, etc...
Not some camera footage crap with ring girl jump scares.

Yeah, the tonal shift bothers me just as much if not more than the lack of tradition RE mechanics. This looks way too fucking serious. It looks more like Saw than a campy action-horror flick.

Neiteio

REmake is very different from, say, Revelations or RE6... but they still feel like they're in the same universe.

Unfortunately, RE7 here doesn't feel like it's in the same universe at all.

This game looks fine for what it is, but it doesn't feel like Resident Evil.

Venom Fox

Banned
This is the future of Resident Evil whether you like it or not. It's got all core staples of the original series in as well as modern, updated mechanics. Stop whining and learn to embrace the future!

Bet most of you guys and girls who are saying they don't like it are just scared and couldn't even make it through Outlast ;P

Ryuuga

Banned
REmake is very different from, say, Revelations or RE6... but they still feel like they're in the same universe.

Unfortunately, RE7 here doesn't feel like it's in the same universe at all.

They haven't shown footage of the wormhole yet.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Some RE fans mad as fuck in here, damn.

Personally, I'm glad they're mixing up the formula of RE like 4 did. The atmosphere and feeling of everything being more horror again is refreshing after 5/6.

Top Bottom