• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yes, their relationship is that of coworkers. As in, they're not officially together; they're not boyfriend and girlfriend. Which Claire herself says in the English version: "He's not my boyfriend." Neil doesn't think of Claire as a girlfriend, and Claire doesn't think of Neil as a boyfriend.

But he also says Claire is attracted to Neil. She would -like- to be his girlfriend. It's tonally consistent that she would react the way she did, desiring Neil's respect and affection as she does.

He did not say that at all.

News Bot

Banned
It's also not unthinkable to desire a deeper relationship with a coworker, even if one is not present yet.

News Bot, I'm not sure why you're so upset that Claire felt attraction to someone, lol.

It's tonally inconsistent and it's plain as day. The translators very clearly wanted Claire to have more affection for Neil than she does in the Japanese version, where it's a mere crush that does not affect her judgement. She doesn't lash out at her friend for suggesting there's something off about him. She doesn't continue moan about "where they went wrong" while fighting him, etc.

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out an obvious fact and you're throwing your hands up in denial. When one script says one thing and the other says something that's completely different or the exact opposite of the other... then they don't make the same point.

In what cases? What's the virus adapting to, specifically?

In this series, the viruses are actually not instant monster-death. The reason people become monsters is because the viruses, being exceptionally powerful, pulverize the comparatively weak genes of modern humans (ancient humans adapted to the Progenitor Virus and gained superhuman strength, increased intelligence, immortality, etc). However, if a modern human is able to allow the virus to reside in their body for a long time, they will adapt to the virus.

Neiteio

He did not say that at all.
Let me reword: He said she's attracted to him. Claire clearly displays this attraction in the English version. He also said they're not boyfriend and girlfriend. Claire says they're not boyfriend and girlfriend in the English version.

On this front, the interview is consistent with the English version.

Neiteio

It's tonally inconsistent and it's plain as day. The translators very clearly wanted Claire to have more affection for Neil than she does in the Japanese version, where it's a mere crush that does not affect her judgement. She doesn't lash out at her friend for suggesting there's something off about him. She doesn't continue moan about "where they went wrong" while fighting him, etc.

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out an obvious fact and you're throwing your hands up in denial. When one script says one thing and the other says something that's completely different or the exact opposite of the other... then they don't make the same point.
I understand. I'm not denying that the -degree- is different from the English version to the Japanese version. I'm just saying that the way this interview depicts things, the English version works on this front with the core concept of 1) Claire is attracted to Neil and 2) they're not formally together.

News Bot

Banned
I understand. I'm not denying that the -degree- is different from the English version to the Japanese version. I'm just saying that the way this interview depicts things, the English version works on this front with the core concept of 1) Claire is attracted to Neil and 2) they're not formally together.

...Exactly why it's inconsistent with the English version. You're diluting the director's words to make it fit. The degree of attraction he mentions is inconsistent with the English version, where Claire almost goes completely bananas over Neil. That is more than simple "hey you're hot" attraction.

Neiteio

...Exactly why it's inconsistent with the English version. You're diluting the director's words to make it fit. The degree of attraction he mentions is inconsistent with the English version, where Claire almost goes completely bananas over Neil. That is more than simple "hey you're hot" attraction.
I'm not diluting anything. He says she's attracted to him. People go to great lengths for people when they feel something for them. Sometimes unreasonably so.

Evolved1

As someone who honestly doesn't give a shit either way... the game isn't even tonally consistent. Claire is like bipolar about it in the english version. Her disposition changes abruptly from one chapter to the next. It's honestly weird how the thing plays out in the english version. Wasn't realized very well, whatever their intention. So when Newsbot points out the differences in the two versions, it stands out even more.

News Bot

Banned
I'm not diluting anything. He says she's attracted to him. People go to great lengths for people when they feel something for them. Sometimes unreasonably so.

Why would she go to great lengths to do anything if there was nothing to it? And then why on earth in Japanese does she not even go to those lengths at all?

...because it's inconsistent. The director and the Japanese version (which the director bases his statement on) contradict it. Often outright.

strafer

It was at the beginning of episode 3 where Claire said something along the lines of "I need to find Neil, he needs me"

Oh yeah yeah, now I remember.

But then there was that moment were Moira tells Claire she needs to tell her something about Neil, at that point I was like; yeah, Moira and Neil are totally dating.

Guess it's about something else.

Astral Dog

It was at the beginning of episode 3 where Claire said something along the lines of "I need to find Neil, he needs me"
no, watched that part again, it was exactly like the line i wrote.
its there somewhere..

New interview with the game's director Yasuhiro Anpo.

Confirms a few things I thought of. Namely t-Phobos adaptation and Claire's crush on Neil in the English version being ridiculously exaggerated.
Not that it matters but didnt the files mention that 6 months need to happen before the transfer is complete?, so Alex being surprised that Natalia changed, is more because she saw herself not because Natalia was unable to change.

It's tonally inconsistent and it's plain as day. The translators very clearly wanted Claire to have more affection for Neil than she does in the Japanese version, where iit's a mere crush that does not affect her judgement. She doesn't lash out at her friend for suggesting there's something off about him. She doesn't continue moan about "where they went wrong" while fighting him, etc.

It's really not a big deal and I like it more this way since it makes this turn of events more dramatic and painful for Claire because her feelings for him weren't just superficial.
Who gives a damn if that's not how it was in japanese?

News Bot

Banned
It's really not a big deal and I like it more this way since it makes this turn of events more dramatic and painful for Claire because her feelings for him weren't just superficial.
Who gives a damn if that's not how it was in japanese?

People who like consistency?

That trailer really didn't sell me on that mode. I am sure it will be spectacular the first time through, but if it is nothing more then unloading all your weapons into this massive Ironhead as it slowly moves towards you then I can't see myself playing it move then once or twice.

I think it just stands in one place looking like it's walking towards you and RE.net just counts the life bar of it and depending on how much all players damage it together in total. Maybe it will kill players who are doing the mission right before it ends and the total ammount of players don't kill it in time.

Really curious about the Weekend Survivor event though. Hopefully it's a horde mode and you'll have to survive as long as possible.

News Bot

Banned
That went out the window as soon as they changed Claires VA

I like how this is the only VA change anybody cares about in this series, even though almost every single character has had at least three VA's. I don't see how this affects characterization via the dialogue?

You have pale rider and murasma?

You don't need to hold them all at once either, btw.

I had like two weapons in storage when it finally popped for me. And it was when I got a pale raider.

Yup,

Handgun:
Samurai Edge
P10
Tripleshot
basic(forget the name)

Sub:
MP-AB
MP-ABG
MP-AF
Chicago Typewriter

Assault:
NSR-47
AK
High Roller

Sniper:
M(forget name)
SVD
Anti-Material
Muramasa

Magnum:
2005M
Python
Anaconda
Pale Rider

Shotgun:
Tap194
M147S
Hydra
Drake

I like how this is the only VA change anybody cares about in this series, even though almost every single character has had at least three VA's. I don't see how this affects characterization via the dialogue?

I guess because she's only had one VA during the entire series and people hate changes. But I don't get it either to be honest. The original VA was complete and utter shit imo and the new one really fits Claire and she's a good voice actress. It's not the VA fault that Claire is so out of character this game, it's the script/translation. The only thing I don't like about Claire is her look. The CGI and render models are completely different from the in game model, which is the one I don't like... because of Spiderman.

As of RE5 and onwards, I think all the Resident Evil games have had great voice actors. It's not their fault that the script is cheesy. The current VAs do an outstanding job and I really enjoy using their voice commands in the games. Except for Jill. Her new voice actress, Michelle Ruff, is a complete downgrade from Patricia Ja Lee. She's so bad. And Jill's new look is a downgrade from her previous. Went from looking like an original character to a generic one. Chris looks somewhat weird in Revelations 1 but then again all characters do look a bit off in that game.

I just noticed a cool little tidbit,
the assault rifle Barry starts with is a variation of the M16/M4 family designed for the Navy Seals to accept Russian made magazines and ammo.

Now that online is out, was wondering if anyone out there who's high level like me wants to help me work on some medals? I could probably do em by myself, but I'd like to play with another person for a change. I tried linking up with randoms online, but everyone is way below me.

I am up to Code Red V, and working on getting all medals starting from the first stage in CRV. Send me a PM if you wanna exchange PSN names ^_^

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So at the end of the day, who do you guys think is the best character for Raid mode, other than Wesker? My Wesker is at Lvl33 but I'm starting to get bored of using just him and want an alternative. Who's the best besides him and why?

So at the end of the day, who do you guys think is the best character for Raid mode, other than Wesker? My Wesker is at Lvl33 but I'm starting to get bored of using just him and want an alternative. Who's the best besides him and why?

Moira, because you get to stare at her backside the whole time.

lol Ok, I know that sounded bad, but I couldn't resist XD

Evolved1

Character doesn't matter at all since you can inherit all the skills.

It's completely superficial.

Quick question guys,is Raid Mode online available for Xbox One yet or am I the only one still who hasn't received the update? Currently a Lvl.71 Jill and Lvl.52 Claire,but its getting boring going in alone and I save the code red levels for online. Anyways thanks in advance and sorry If this question has been asked,don't feel like going back reading pages lol.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What is this large creature invasion thing all about? Is it a mission where everyone can log in to unload their bullets to try and defeat this monster together?

RhyDin

Is it just me or is there no way to do raid mode online on Steam version with friends? The only option I get is quick match with randoms.

There were also two modes to choose from that were greyed out - is this because they're locked events?

Seems like my Raid mode one player crashes were resolved, I think - I only tried one match, but it worked.

This hurts.

People care because she has been doing it for so long we associate the character with her voice. Characters like Leon or Jill who have changed with nearly each entry don't have that lasting attachment or feel. I bet if Chris got a new voice that people would be upset with it. Roger Craig Smith is pretty much Chris at this point.

Astral Dog

This hurts.

People care because she has been doing it for so long we associate the character with her voice. Characters like Leon or Jill who have changed with nearly each entry don't have that lasting attachment or feel. I bet if Chris got a new voice that people would be upset with it. Roger Craig Smith is pretty much Chris at this point.
I miss old Leon and Wesker voices, Ada was changed too, on RE6 i think.
many changes over the years, oh well, new Claire decent, the problem is not her voice.

Top Bottom