• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

That would be stupid to include these skills but then totally deactivate them for co-op but not solo? It's just weird.

Like a tone for their voices. They either say their commands with a regular voice tone (when there are no enemies) or screaming (around enemies) but there's also like... something in between where they're kinda like just talking a bit louder or distressed but I don't know what activates it. I don't know how to explain it. You can hear the differences in campaign as well but I didn't think they would add that to Raid Mode.

Yeah, bizzaro!

Oh, that's really cool. Will have to thoroughly test out those gesticulations. :)

Beat the game the other day and played a bit of Raid mode, my impressions in no particular order:

-I don't like Claire's new voice. Why did they do this?

-My favorite RE since 4.

-I hope if they use Moira in the future she isn't a whiny angsty piece of shit. Hope she grew out of that here.

-Surprisingly, the kid was great.
Except for what they do to her in the end.

-Barry is awesome.

-Fuck those invisible things so hard. I know I'm late for that discussion, but whoever thought an invisible enemy with a one hit kill attack was a good idea in this or any game needs a brick to the head. I only died to them twice but it's hard to feel like it was my fault.

-I have zero interest in Raid mode. Loot-driven games in general irritate me. I don't want to fight through a hard stage and defeat a hard enemy for a CHANCE at a good reward, and the gameplay, while well suited for the campaign, isn't compelling or varied enough to get me past that. So y'all have fun.

FLAguy954

SXZM7Kr.png

My raid mode load out feels kind of hilarious.

level 95 muramasa with 28000 damage 0.86 fire rate and 12 rounds in the magazine, used as my go to 1-2 hit kill rifle.
two level 95 anti material rifles with 15 capacity and elite killer parts for quick murdering heavies
level 97 assault rifle with a ton of daze and extra pierce for crowd control

Rifle and AR mastery is great for never running out of ammo on my primary and secondary.
Catch me if you can to make evasion more snappy
Evade cancel for hilarity involving the muramasa, since you can cancel out the bolt animation completely with it as well as half the reload animation.
Shield and Health skills for easier time getting the no herb medals on code red.

2 AMR's is just funny to think about.

I suggest you replace the health skill with Armor up instead. It reduces damage to both the shield (and enhances the ability as a result) and your normal health.

FLAguy954

Thoughts/impressions on co-op

- Blue door for hosting/joining someone and accept/send invitations

- If you die you can choose to view your partner's point of view

- This update BROKE my skills. I have my evade extension at max but it's not working anymore. I have max Health Up as well but I was dying in only a few hits on recommended levels and couldn't take much damage anymore.

- If you join someone you can only do a mission at their max level even if the recommended level is higher so you can't really boost. My partner chose a level 90 stage but their Chris was at 85 only and I could only go up to level 85 with my level 100 Jill.

- Characters have an extra tone for their voices (it's something inbetween regular and screaming)

- Enemies seem to be at higher levels if you're two players. Not sure though, but we both were 85 at a rec 90 stage and enemies were level 105.

- Quick Match needs to be more balanced. It basically just matches you up with anyone random and doesn't adjust your level. I just played with my level 100 Jill with a level 45 Hunk. Hunk died in a few hits.

- There's no quick mute option. I played a Quick Match with someone that was on their mic blasing music.

You are playing on the PS4 version correct?

Also, when is the online update for the Steam version due?

No worries. I have a feeling it'll be later on today but I'm not sure of the time.

Also, do you guys think that RE.net will have some special events for this game?

Yep. There are two different modes added called:

Invasion of the Huge Creatures
Weekend Survivors

You can see these in the matchmaking menu (blue door) under "Find a Partner > Play Style" also there's a new menu added when you go to the Red Door called "Event Missions"

only did one quick match. It was a Level 20-something player and I was using my Level 40-something Hunk. I'll probably trying the player search tomorrow or Wednesday. And I finally hit Level 50 with Hunk. Just a bit further to go >.>

I think I am going to take the plunge on this soon, I have some of those coupons from that stupid gamerpoints thing that GS has so I can pick this up for pretty cheap.

So which version is best? I have all the platforms. I was thinking the PS4 version but if the PC version is vastly superior I'll pick it up.

zogged

Ok, can anyone tell me if the PC version has any co-op support for the campaign? I can't find an answer through all the offline shenanigans.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I suggest you replace the health skill with Armor up instead. It reduces damage to both the shield (and enhances the ability as a result) and your normal health.

Oh dude that's a genius idea. I'll probably get a lot more mileage out of that.

Time to level up Chris then!

Did the steam patch go live for online raid mode yet?

FLAguy954

Oh dude that's a genius idea. I'll probably get a lot more mileage out of that.

Time to level up Chris then!

Did the steam patch go live for online raid mode yet?

The Steam patch for online is live. Just restart your Steam client. Also, I suggest you wait until the evening so it will be easier to find a match.

Roussow

Going to buy this tomorrow digitally for PS4 (Normally I'd go physical -- but retailers have it absurdly highly priced at $90, but the Aus PSN store have it for $37 so it's a no-brainer)

Tell me guys, going in -- how high should my expectations be. I loved Resi 4, I even really, really enjoy 5 (looking back I understand what makes 4 truly amazing and what's disappointing in 5). I even really enjoyed 6 for what it was, I'm not super invested in the franchises roots, so I'm invested in this story and characters the same way I'm invested in the WWE; big over-the top-characters in over-the-top scenarios doing over-the-top fighting and action -- the game indulged in the ridiculousness in a enticing way.

Is Revelations 2 more of the big dumb action movie -- or is it similar to 4 or 5 in tone (and gameplay)

I didn't play the first Revelations, is that important? Should I know much going in from past games?

Overall -- I want a nice summarized OT (spoiler-free) just to reinforced my purchase and enlighten me on important stuff going in!

Ralemont

not me
Is Revelations 2 more of the big dumb action movie -- or is it similar to 4 or 5 in tone (and gameplay)

More similar to 4. Less enemies and ammo, more atmosphere. Ending sequence is still epic action, as per RE tradition.

Relevant games are 2/CV (to know who Claire is) 1/REmake (to know who Barry is) and most importantly RE5 (for various reasons, including timeline as the game takes place between 5 and 6). Revelations isn't that important except when a few characters talk about the city of Terragrigia which is from Rev 1.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The Steam patch for online is live. Just restart your Steam client. Also, I suggest you wait until the evening so it will be easier to find a match.

Awesome, I'm at work so I won't be back until way later anyways but I cant wait to clear code red with a friend. I specifically left code red for me and a friend to go through, should be fun!

So I tried playing this game with a mouse and keyboard...yeah no.

Really? I thought the keyboard controls for RER2 were excellent, I just swapped sprint to shift and throw weapons to alt for muscle memories sake. You might have to fiddle with the mouse settings in the menus a bit to get the aiming to a comfortable level though.

I find that the mouse drags unless you have the FPS locked at 60, also there are some other options to fiddle with, I think I have my mouse sensitivity at 3 or so.

I recently I changed my skills and changed my weapons I'm not sure what skill/weapon combination I had, but I was able to make enemies explode with last killing blow either knife/shoot, and now they no longer explode, tried looking through the skills but none seem to match what I'm looking for. Anyone know what I need to equip?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I recently I changed my skills and changed my weapons I'm not sure what skill/weapon combination I had, but I was able to make enemies explode with last killing blow either knife/shoot, and now they no longer explode, tried looking through the skills but none seem to match what I'm looking for. Anyone know what I need to equip?

That's not a skill. It's a situational result of killing enemies with certain status effects. And some enemies will always explode, like the bloaters, and even some (very few) raid stages have it set that all enemies explode. But it's not a skill unfortunately.

Astral Dog

Going to buy this tomorrow digitally for PS4 (Normally I'd go physical -- but retailers have it absurdly highly priced at $90, but the Aus PSN store have it for $37 so it's a no-brainer)

Tell me guys, going in -- how high should my expectations be. I loved Resi 4, I even really, really enjoy 5 (looking back I understand what makes 4 truly amazing and what's disappointing in 5). I even really enjoyed 6 for what it was, I'm not super invested in the franchises roots, so I'm invested in this story and characters the same way I'm invested in the WWE; big over-the top-characters in over-the-top scenarios doing over-the-top fighting and action -- the game indulged in the ridiculousness in a enticing way.

I didn't play the first Revelations, is that important? Should I know much going in from past games?

Overall -- I want a nice summarized OT (spoiler-free) just to reinforced my purchase and enlighten me on important stuff going in!
If you already played RE5, then you will be fine, it has some connections to Revelations, not too important but you may want to watch the story (ugh)

Revelations 2 is a well designed, focused campaign, and for what its worth it has many horror elements never seen since RE 4 or before, its also very ridiculous, but a bit more grounded than RE5 or 6, wich is appreciated.

Finally, yes RE4 is the game that REV 2 resembles most

.edit:Ok what did everyone thought of the soundtrack?

It was the worst thing about the game, not because its bad, but because its too low key, there are big parts of the game without any music at all except the same tune when enemies attack. there are very good remixes for the credits, menu theme, main theme, but they are still remixes from the previous game. there is a good boss battle theme in the middle , also the music on the Natalia episode but other than that it was very dissapointing.

I dont know if it was because of the budget, or design decisions, but after how they hyped the soundtrack i was expecting a bit more on this RE game.

Mr_Zombie

Revelations 2 is something between classic RE games and RE4. It's still more action-y than classic RE games, but not as much as RE4 and later games. Your resources are limited (no pinata enemies that leave you ammo after you kill them) and if you're not playing it smart, you can even easily end up with no ammo at all. There's also much fewer enemies but the taught ones they can be dangerous if you're not careful (e.g. invisible one-hit-kill bugs). There's also much more exploration than in RE5/6 - levels are linear, but there is some backtracking to do here and there and few semi-open areas.

The game's story also tries to be more serious than RE4. Sure, there's cheese and action sequences, but none of the characters throw jokes or laugh at enemies and pose as an action hero (
well, at least not until the very end
).

There are few references to Revelations, so if you don't want to feel lost you should at least read about "Terragrigia Panic". Other than that, as others said, games that would benefit you to know are: RE1/REmake (to know who Barry is), RE2/CV/Degeneration (to know who Claire is and what TerraSave is) and RE5 (some enemies and certain events are referenced).

Finally finished countdown mode last night, definitely felt easier the further I got into it. It seems like the game was way more generous with hourglasses in the later levels than the early ones. Ended up finishing Barry's last mission with over four minutes left on the clock.

I also finally finished The Struggle on survival difficulty, had a much easier time with most of my skill settings maxed out. I thought it was alright overall.

So I'm guessing that (plot spoilers)
Claire just swam to Barry's boat after jumping from the tower to get help? It's one of the few things that's not really explained.

Finally finished countdown mode last night, definitely felt easier the further I got into it. It seems like the game was way more generous with hourglasses in the later levels than the early ones. Ended up finishing Barry's last mission with over four minutes left on the clock.

I also finally finished The Struggle on survival difficulty, had a much easier time with most of my skill settings maxed out. I thought it was alright overall.

So I'm guessing that (plot spoilers)
Claire just swam to Barry's boat after jumping from the tower to get help? It's one of the few things that's not really explained.

Someone found and rescued her. Remember it had been 6 months before Barry came to the island.

Astral Dog

Ehhh I don't know about that, honestly REV2 feels a lot like a mix of REV1 and RE5 but more subdued and with better atmosphere.

RE4 was kind of a crazyyyy ride.

It reminds me of 4 in the way the encounters are played, level, design is used, enemies ,etc (stages too, like the village, cabin, etc.). but with emphasis on a more meaningful partner system and slower paced, wich is not a bad thing at all, could use REV 1 as example but he didnt played it,

Someone found and rescued her. Remember it had been 6 months before Barry came to the island.

Yeah, so Claire was rescued, then told Barry six months later? or she stayed on the island for six months without seeing Moira? it was very unclear.

ArjanN

Yeah, so Claire was rescued, then told Barry six months later? or she stayed on the island for six months without seeing Moira? it was very unclear.

I assumed she was rescued but wasn't sure about the exact location of the island, so Barry had to search for it.

Astral Dog

I assumed she was rescued but wasn't sure about the exact location of the island, so Barry had to search for it.

It would be a bit weird after Claire saw all those documents and research files, even the name of the island, wich was not that hidden at all and prospered for a time,, but that could be the most likely explanation.

L.O.R.D

started the extra chapters
really loved it
the struggle is very unique
can't pass the 3rd level , any hint ?

little miss is like the 3rd level from the struggle , but somehow its easier

started the extra chapters
really loved it
the struggle is very unique
can't pass the 3rd level , any hint ?

little miss is like the 3rd level from the struggle , but somehow its easier

Just
sneak up behind all the revenants in the village to stealth kill them all, I found it much easier to do that than avoid them. As long as your not spotted, the 30 second countdown trigger won't initiate.

edit: Make sure you pick up as much ammo as you can in that level. There's also a magnum in the bar that you will need.

L.O.R.D

Just
sneak up behind all the revenants in the village to stealth kill them all, I found it much easier to do that than avoid them. As long as your not spotted, the 30 second countdown trigger won't initiate.

edit: Make sure you pick up as much ammo as you can in that level. There's also a magnum in the bar that you will need.

oh, i thought she can't sneak kill and must avoid all them
thanks , that will help

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I finally got around to playing the game. I think I finished the first chapter (getting to the
radio tower
with Claire). Are all the chapters this long? I think it took me ~1 hour of playtime to beat the chapter.

The game is certainly different than RE5 and RE6. The inability to dive around and slide out of the way takes some getting used to, but it does add a little tension to the combat. The guns feel super weak though, which I guess is by design. Towards the end of the chapter I basically found myself out of ammo and out of healing items, which is a nice change of pace. Will probably chip away at this game in between playing other stuff, but so far I like it.

Raijinken

I don't understand the point of it. I already found Raid mode pretty easy, and as far as I can tell coop is just there to make the existing missions easier? It seems unnecessary.

Did you know regardless of how easy it may be solo some people would still like to play with friends because it would be much more fun that way?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Did you know regardless of how easy it may be solo some people would still like to play with friends because it would be much for fun that way?

Those people would be better served playing something that is actually built for coop. 2 player Raid mode is mind numbingly boring.

We could have at least got new missions with increased difficulty to encourage coop play.

That's not a skill. It's a situational result of killing enemies with certain status effects. And some enemies will always explode, like the bloaters, and even some (very few) raid stages have it set that all enemies explode. But it's not a skill unfortunately.

thank you for answering, it must be coincidence that I happened to hit those stages when I upgraded my skills, and then I happened to change them haha, I was going crazy, hope capcom decides to add more skills eventually

Mr_Zombie

It would be a bit weird after Claire saw all those documents and research files, even the name of the island, wich was not that hidden at all and prospered for a time,, but that could be the most likely explanation.

Well, the island's name is
"Zabytij" - "Forgotten" -
probably for a reason ;)
Not to mention, most files were written in Russian - we don't know if and how good Claire knows Russian language :p

Towards the end of the chapter I basically found myself out of ammo and out of healing items, which is a nice change of pace. Will probably chip away at this game in between playing other stuff, but so far I like it.

As usual, use melee attacks. Moira's crowbar can be really useful to stun enemies. Also, remember that after you do a melee attack with Claire you can switch to Moira and do a follow-up. It can save you a lot of ammo.

Same with Barry - Natalia episodes: Natalia can throw bricks at enemies; usually a brick automatically stuns most enemies.

I recommend you buying the Unholstered skill as fast as you can. That way when you switch to Moira/Natalia, AI-controlled Claire/Barry will still be able to use their weapons - shots will be less powerful, but they also won't consume any ammo. It's especially useful if you equip your gun-using character with a shotgun or magnum since even if they don't deal that much damage they can still stun or at least push back enemies for free.

I have one more episode to go and even if the game goes to total shit, think I could still safely say it's a title worth owning for $25/40. I like the side characters in this one a lot better than the ones featured in Rev1, thought Parker and Jessica were kinda lame.

Barry's also the best, hope they start using him more in future REs from now on.

LMFAO!

I had someone quit on me on a random quick match because I was using Gina and spamming her commands. He was on the microphone and said "Dude, you're so fucking annoying" and then he left.

This flawless character. Rachael for DLC pl0x. Can y'all fucking imagine?

AHA, THANKS! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

I wish they had given Gina the Disco Spin.

Top Bottom