• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

DonJorginho

Banned
Oh fucking Jeremy, what a legend. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
Top geezer, also managed to get Judgement on PS5 for like £15 instead of £35 due to the Japanese PS Store selling it super cheap.

So I am the new Jordan Belfort basically.

leonardo dicaprio film GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Top geezer, also managed to get Judgement on PS5 for like £15 instead of £35 due to the Japanese PS Store selling it super cheap.

So I am the new Jordan Belfort basically.

leonardo dicaprio film GIF

Damn, you're one of those, lol. I know some of my friends follow PSN in Korea, Japan etc for games that aren't released/offered for free on PS+. Won't go that far. But I think the new PSN cards are region-neutral, right? Never tried using the ones on Amazon on non-US accounts.

SLB1904

Banned
And this is kind of why listening to reviews from people who didn't finish the game isn't a good idea sometimes. We can't always tell if that's the case, but ultimately now, I look at gameplay videos and say to myself whether or not this is something I find myself playing.
That's pretty much what I do. And guess what no "ragrets" since.

DonJorginho

Banned
Damn, you're one of those, lol. I know some of my friends follow PSN in Korea, Japan etc for games that aren't released/offered for free on PS+. Won't go that far. But I think the new PSN cards are region-neutral, right? Never tried using the ones on Amazon on non-US accounts.
Usually I just get a cheap UK card from ShopTo but have been looking into the way people find these amazing deals and there's something rewarding about getting a sweet ass deal for me. I'm using the site Offgamers which is actually doing a great job and has all the regions so as soon as I hear of a deal on reddit or twitter I will be on that shit!

And I don't know tbh, have never tried using cards for that use, but the main reason is the price saved, I would have paid £62 for a cheap card for Returnal before, now I paid £49 which is cheaper than it would have been if it was a PS4 title on launch.

tommib

The release is scheduled for the 30th of April yet the countdown says 4d22h40min.

Do i miss something?
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I think i remember that with Cyberpunk. Eventually it reached 00
:00:00 but you couldn’t play it until midnight of launch day. Probably the same here. Still praying it unlocks before that. 🙏

FrankWza

Its not gonna be as hard as Sekiro lol, Sony wouldn't let them ship it if it was that fucking hard.

I suspect it will be a similar difficulty to Bloodborne, which most agree is easier than Sekiro.
I saw you say this would be like this gens bloodborne. I agree. But also, it can do for this style of games what DeS(PS3) did for From games and that style. Maybe we’ll see this genre start to get the AAA treatment on some more games. Either way, it’s Sony going out and supporting a risky move that they’re getting criticized for not doing enough.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I saw you say this would be like this gens bloodborne. I agree. But also, it can do for this style of games what DeS(PS3) did for From games and that style. Maybe we’ll see this genre start to get the AAA treatment on some more games. Either way, it’s Sony going out and supporting a risky move that they’re getting criticized for not doing enough.

Yup. I don't play games like Hades because to me that kinda angle and overall feel is pretty regressive, unless you wanna make it available on mobiles as well. Returnal is the new, mature next step for this genre, and honestly can't see as good game as Returnal without Sony providing it with care and budget.

Sony is on another level, incomparable to others according to all devs. The more money Sony gets, the better gaming will get.

Last edited:

SCB3

The price is keeping my from day 1, but it is a game that looks a lot of fun and very much on my radar, my issue right now is it comes out within 2 weeks of RE Village, Pokemon Snap and Mass Effect Legendary Collection, 3 games (5) that I'm more interested in. Add to that the next Destiny season and my time is limited.

June however is looking emptier though and I wanna see more of this game before I commit,

who knows though, I may buy it day 1 yet as its literally on my Payday.....

Jaysen

Banned
Same here. Took Friday off as well. Last time I took holidays off for a game was for RDR2.

Debating if I should get the Pulse 3D headphones for this. I use my QC 35 II plugged in but wondering if the Pulse are better for 3D sound?
Your best headphones will sound the best. The Pulse is a mediocre sounding pair of cheap headphones, and the audio processing is being done inside the PS5, so the Pulse has no advantage.

SkylineRKR

Must say the latest previews made me interested, but I still ain't gonna bite at 80 euros. Also got RE8 on pre order. For 39, I would've gotten it. Can't wait for actual user impressions and some LP's though.

drotahorror

PowerPyx the platinum trophy slayer is having problems with Returnal - https://www.powerpyx.com/returnal-trophy-list/

I think people are expecting a totally different game than what this really is. They probably should have put up a demo for this, because the majority of the people spending €80 on their pre-order won’t even finish the 2nd Act.
Demon’s Souls / Dark Souls is easy in comparison because you can overlevel and thereby reduce the difficulty and you keep your progress between deaths.
In Returnal you lose everything on death or when you leave the game. You can’t “cheat” it by backing up your save game either, because you get wiped out when you exit the game and will respawn at the start of the act. There are checkpoints between acts though, which helps.

Housemarque / PlayStation Studios didn’t do a great job at promoting the game for what it really is – in trailers and gameplays it looked like a semi-story driven arcade-style 3rd person shooter with maybe a bit of horror/survival elements. When in fact it’s a Rogue genre. I wouldn’t even say Roguelike, because in Roguelikes (e.g. Hades) you have a hub area where you can upgrade some stuff between deaths and you retain some useful leveling that gives you an advantage on the next try. It’s going to be at least 8/10 difficulty platinum and quite an annoying grind for the gold trophies to complete the databases in each world (because the game is randomized it can take a while).

Returnal is closer to Wolfenstein 2 Mein Leben difficulty, but with a randomized map each time. There are no difficulty options so it will be same hardcore experience for everyone.

Sounds like he was given the game and didn't know what he was getting into. It also sounds like he has no idea what a rogue-like and rogue-lite is.

In true Housemarque fashion, the game can be hard. Some people ain't gonna like that.

Last edited:

engstra

Not sure if I'll have the time to play this when it drops, so might wait for a few weeks. But I'm very excited and looking forward to see how it's received

DonJorginho

Banned
'So when I jumped into Returnal for the first time, I expected a similar offering once again – an action-adventure, with a heap of story alongside, even if developer Housemarque's past work prepared me for more of a focus on shooting things. Instead, I was taken aback by how difficult and dynamic Returnal actually is, and I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised that Sony took the risk of publishing it. The game feels like a breath of fresh air.'

Bartski

Gold Member
I wouldn’t even say Roguelike, because in Roguelikes (e.g. Hades) you have a hub area where you can upgrade some stuff between deaths and you retain some useful leveling that gives you an advantage on the next try. It’s going to be at least 8/10 difficulty platinum (...) Returnal is closer to Wolfenstein 2 Mein Leben difficulty, but with a randomized map each time. There are no difficulty options so it will be same hardcore experience for everyone.

s reactions genius GIF

EDIT: ok this is where they see a problem:

Powerpyx:
Different collectibles spawn after each death, so you will need to replay the biomes a lot to find everything and need to get a bit lucky that the stuff you have left spawns. It can spawn the same xenoglyphs again, if you find the same one again it won’t add to your progress.

I'm ok with that, at least in theory, and I'm guessing the game lets you keep good track of your progress?

Last edited:
Top Bottom