• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for The Revenant (DiCaprio, Hardy, dir. Iñarritu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

udiie

Same here. Still seems to be pretty positive despite some negative feedback, so it'll probably be enjoyable for me personally regardless. This definitely seems like one of those it works for you or it doesn't type films though, much like the director's previous film.

yeah i mean im absolutely going to see it anyway, and tbh from what ive seen ill probably enjoy it... but i thought it would be critically acclaimed for some reason

andycapps

Most of those movie reviews sound so damn pretentious. This looks really good and based on what I was able to get out of those reviews, it sounds great but obviously not quite to the level of the reviewers expectations.

Fury451

Banned
What the hell... i thought this was 90 minutes.

I see, okay that explains things haha. 90 is the sweet spot for me lately, with a few exceptions. I don't mind movies that hit closer to two hours, but beyond that it's very rare that I can stay engaged for that long.

yeah i mean im absolutely going to see it anyway, and tbh from what ive seen ill probably enjoy it... but i thought it would be critically acclaimed for some reason

Same here. I know a lot of people that have been talking about the film because of that first trailere that premiered, so I think it'll do well regardless. I expected to be pretty much universal acclaim, but it's still sitting pretty high in reviews.

“Do you not see how hard I’m working for you people?”

I do, and I know. I have felt this way for a long time. I hope you do get rewarded at some point. You deserve it.

Nibel

I was worried at first when I read that this is 2.5 hours long but then I remembered that I just recently watched Lawrence of Arabia and that movie came and went rather quick for a 4 hour film.

Still going to watch it, but didn't expect some of these early reviews to be so damning.

NateDog

Hmm that's disappointing, I didn't expect to hear those negatives like that. I'm still hyped for it but it sucks if true, although a few people here who saw it said that DiCaprio was great as was the movie and the more positive reviews make me think I'll just disregard reviews until I see it myself.

Hmm this thread is weird.

This movie gets great reviews, people call it divisive.

This movie has a pretty standard run time of 2.5 hours for a film of this kind, people call it long.

What's wrong with a 2.5 hour movie? Don't know about you all but I'd much rather watch a movie that looks fucking amazing and has solid performances (as the reviews themselves suggest) than some comic book movie with childish humor (Avengers 2).

Now if the movie was 3+ hours I'd understand why that would raise some eyebrows (The Hateful Eight).

sappyday

Iñárritu is one of my favorite directors. Some of his films aren't for everyone. Birdman was one of his more consumer friendly films.

Hmm this thread is weird.

This movie gets great reviews, people call it divisive.

This movie has a pretty standard run time of 2.5 hours for a film of this kind, people call it long.

I think they were expecting Liquidsnake type of reviews.

"Majestic
Magical
A meditation on masterful filmaking"
Leonardo gave a performance we will be talking about for decades to come.
Tom Hardy gives the performance of a lifetime that is so gut wrenching yet daring.

Hyun Sai

Many movies could cut half an hour and be much better as a result. I fail to see why directors insist on stretching, especially with nothingness.

i dont know alot about oscars, but when an actor wins the oscar for leading role, does the movie have to generally be good as well?

Movies like this don't get that universal praise and RT score in the 90s, whatever. It looks pretty divisive.

I'm pretty excited to see it, it looks damn good at least. I kinda don't like the director though but lubezki in malick mode, leo in the wilderness vs. tom hardy and a bear. sounds great.

Lubeski will deliver I'm sure, and Hardy will do some job as well , he is a far more skilled actor than DiCaprio after all.

LOL at the people reactions from the reviews, almost made me double check I wasn't on the gaming side or something.

Wow, these are bad reviews to you guys?

Expectations like hot-air balloons with no controls and vents.

These are very, very positive reviews, most of which also point out that Innaritu is a very self-indulgent filmmaker.

Birdman wasn't across the board loved, either, with many of the same complaints. Still won Best Picture.

People were more or less buying tickets for Chivo, anyway.

Based on what I've seen of the cinematography, the film could be getting 0 stars and be 3 hours long and I'd still pay full price to see it.

Looks absolutely gorgeous. Super stoked.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Many movies could cut half an hour and be much better as a result. I fail to see why directors insist on stretching, especially with nothingness.

That was the one good thing about VHS. It forced a lot of movies to be shorter.

jtb

Banned
Unsurprising.

Inarritu is an incredibly heavy-handed filmmaker, who completely lacks self-awareness or restraint. I'll watch it regardless (dat Lubezki), should be a fun, vapid watch.

potam

Banned
I gives a fuck about the reviews. DiCaprio + Hardy + Lubezki? I'm in.

Not to mention it tells the story of one of the biggest badasses to ever walk the earth.

Nudull

Banned
Given what the plot seemed to be, I'm not surprised by the mixed reactions. Better luck next time, Leo.

WTF at this thread.

I read the responses on the first page, seeing how "mixed" this film is getting in reviews, and then I click on the actual links, and it's at 85% on RT at 40 reviews with a 7.9/10 actual score average thus far? Now I ain't no scientistian or anything but that seems pretty dang positive thus far.

Nudull

Banned
WTF at this thread.

I read the responses on the first page, seeing how "mixed" this film is getting in reviews, and then I click on the actual links, at it's at 85% on RT at 40 reviews with a 7.9/10 actual score average thus far. Now I ain't no scientistian or anything but that seems pretty dang positive thus far.

Positive, but still more mixed than a lot of people on GAF may have expected.

WTF at this thread.

I read the responses on the first page, seeing how "mixed" this film is getting in reviews, and then I click on the actual links, and it's at 85% on RT at 40 reviews with a 7.9/10 actual score average thus far? Now I ain't no scientistian or anything but that seems pretty dang positive thus far.

Unless it's the best thing ever, it's the worst thing ever.

A lot of people either seem to really like it or dislike it heavily. I guess it depends on how much you can handle the indulgence in violence and pacing.

As for me, a 2.5 hour runtime doesn't bother me as that is about the same length if not shorter than the average Hindi movie, so I'm used to it and usually expect it. The violence in this may be a bit much for me though. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom