• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for The Revenant (DiCaprio, Hardy, dir. Iñarritu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

What are some other examples of slick mercenary grandeur? Whatever they are they sure sound good for at least one watch.

thenexus6

Has anyone downloaded the soundtrack yet? It's not available in the UK for another three weeks and its killing me. If anyone is interested in uploading the album to google drive and letting me download i'd paypal you some money. PM me if you're interested.

Has anyone downloaded the soundtrack yet? It's not available in the UK for another three weeks and its killing me. If anyone is interested in uploading the album to google drive and letting me download i'd paypal you some money. PM me if you're interested.
It's on Spotify, not sure if its on Spotify UK though.

But you know, there are other methods....

just came back from this movie. maybe it's just me but I feel this is a great movie and Leo gave a very convincing performance, the shots in it were spectacular also. but I do agree that the movie kinda fall short in some ways, especially the whole flashback/spiritvision thing they got going from time to time. over all it's still a great film and the 2.5+ hours went by real fast.

pa22word

I enjoyed the book overall. The author did a great job of using his intricate knowledge of the times to craft an amazingly detailed world, but I ultimately couldn't help but left desiring that the author did more with the material at hand than he did. Other than the ending I came away thinking the book was mostly shallow fanwank from someone who loved the time period and decided to write a fictionalized account of it based on the limited information available, using what he preferred as the idealized truth to fill in the blanks.

I'll see the movie once it hits wide release, but I expect that'll probably be the end result of the movie too.

Myriadis

I already reserved the seats for this movie, so going to watch it with my father and brother. Just from the trailer it feels like a completely raw movie and I really love the look.

Theorry

Loved the movie. Had some question afterwards tho.

At the end they dont kill him. Probably because he saved that girl from the French or the natives already think he is gonna die there? Also about the first point.If its because of the girl then its abit weird to me. Because i believe at first they sold that girl to the French because of extra horses. Seems to be abit double standard to me. First they dont care about here really and then they do. But maybe i am missing something.

ogbg

Loved the movie. Had some question afterwards tho.

At the end they dont kill him. Probably because he saved that girl from the French or the natives already think he is gonna die there? Also about the first point.If its because of the girl then its abit weird to me. Because i believe at first they sold that girl to the French because of extra horses. Seems to be abit double standard to me. First they dont care about here really and then they do. But maybe i am missing something.

Yeah, presumably they spared him because he saved the chief's daughter. You can see her riding on the second horse that passes. They didn't sell her to the French. She was taken at some point before the start of the movie. The search for her was the reason that they attacked the fur camp at the start of the movie because they thought maybe the Americans had taken her. When they go to trade with the French afterwards he asks for horses because he thinks it will help him to find her. Only when he tells the French captain that his daughter is missing does the captain agree on the horses, presumably because he doesn't want them looking too hard for her in their camp. I assume that the French had her all along.

pa22word

People who have seen it: did they maintain the multicultural reality of the native Americans or did they just slim it all down to one generic tribe like most movies of this type of era do? Because it would be a shame if this movie did considering the density of research that went into making the book into what it was.

People who have seen it: did they maintain the multicultural reality of the native Americans or did they just slim it all down to one generic tribe like most movies of this type of era do? Because it would be a shame if this movie did considering the density of research that went into making the book into what it was.

IIRC, there's a native character who references not being part of the tribe that is looking for the stolen native girl. I think Leo's son is also of another tribe.

Theorry

Yeah, presumably they spared him because he saved the chief's daughter. You can see her riding on the second horse that passes. They didn't sell her to the French. She was taken at some point before the start of the movie. The search for her was the reason that they attacked the fur camp at the start of the movie because they thought maybe the Americans had taken her. When they go to trade with the French afterwards he asks for horses because he thinks it will help him to find her. Only when he tells the French captain that his daughter is missing does the captain agree on the horses, presumably because he doesn't want them looking too hard for her in their camp. I assume that the French had her all along.

Ah that makes sense.

IIRC, there's a native character who references not being part of the tribe that is looking for the stolen native girl. I think Leo's son is also of another tribe.

I think Pawnee is the other tribe.

I went into this not being interested in anything Iñárritu has done and cynical about the look of this whole thing. Film basically blew me away, the look and sound was exceptional and Leo put in such heavy duty work. Loved Hardy's character and between this and TFA I'm looking forward to seeing Gleeson's career really taking off.

Jimothy

Tom Hardy made this movie for me and I don't even really like him as an actor. Hopefully he nabs best supporting. Gleeson is just okay.

Had a chance to see this. It has good "spirit" about it. Cinematography is beautiful.

My only real complaint is Tom Hardy's dialogue. It was so damn hard understanding what he was saying.

UberTag

Couldn't believe Gleeson is the same actor as the guy in Ex Machina. Phenomenal actor.
Between Ex Machina, The Revenant, Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Brooklyn, Gleeson had one hell of a year. In the unlikely event of all four films being nominated for a Best Picture Oscar next week, I suspect having one actor integral in 4 of the Best Picture nominees would easily be a record that would stand for a long time.

number11

Couldn't believe Gleeson is the same actor as the guy in Ex Machina. Phenomenal actor.

Yep it seems like he's one of those character actors that disappears into the role. I've seen Ex Machina and Black Mirror.. yet I still didn't even recognise him when watching Star Wars and The Revenant.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Between Ex Machina, The Revenant, Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Brooklyn, Gleeson had one hell of a year. In the unlikely event of all four films being nominated for a Best Picture Oscar next week, I suspect having one actor integral in 4 of the Best Picture nominees would easily be a record that would stand for a long time.

Gleeson was also part of my favorite Black Mirror episode "Be Right Back".
Go check it out.

zethren

Banned
Loved it. I thought Leo was fantastic as always, but particularly so in this as it was a primarily physical role for him.

Almost worth it for the
horrifying bear mauling
scene alone.

LionPride

Banned
Loved the movie, Tom Hardy is an evil motherfucker I'll say that. Also Gleeson steadily gettin work, I liked Leo in the movie but I couldn't see him as Glass really up until towards the end. This may be his Oscar though just because the movie is so good. Eddie may end up taking it though. We will see

Violet_0

Banned
the cinematography was about the only noteworthy thing about this movie. Think Valhalla Rising, but with a slightly faster pace and a few more things happening. I feel like "trying to hard" is honestly a valid criticism. Leo's
dream sequences
(I don't know why I spoiler tag that) are quite cheesy. Oh, Gleeson was pretty good too

The best thing about this movie was the music imo. The movie wasn't that great but the constant nature shots, the dark tone and the epic music just kept elevating the proceedings for me. Even though the music was very restrained it carried so much weight and I think a lot of that had to do with the brilliant timing and just the way the music is arranged so sparsely.

Although I didn't think that much of Tom Hardy's acting some of his lines just had me in stiches the way he delivered them which is an awesome job.

Myriadis

Now that was an amazing movie. I agree that they could've cut or shortened some scenes (the dream ones are not that great compared to the rest) but the cinematography is amazing, Leo and Hardy did amazing jobs and that movie just feels so incredibly authentic while still having some style. One of the better movies for me, a good reason to go to the cinema and a wonderful experience.

Oh, and the trailer makes it look like some actiony movie, but it's a much more "slow" movie.

nin1000

Banned
Just came home from the cinema and boy o boy was that one hell of a movie !
Did someone already mention the epic camerawork and the insane cinematography?
Leo did one hell of a job and tom hardy sure was one evil motherfucker. This movie just became one of my favourites. Alejandro González Iñárritu you did it again ! Seriously there are a lot of memorable scenes in this movie and the soundtrack alone was worth watching it. What a Haunting experience that was.
Go watch it in the Cinema it deserves to be seen on the big screen.

foxtrot3d

Banned
the cinematography was about the only noteworthy thing about this movie. Think Valhalla Rising, but with a slightly faster pace and a few more things happening. I feel like "trying to hard" is honestly a valid criticism. Leo's
dream sequences
(I don't know why I spoiler tag that) are quite cheesy. Oh, Gleeson was pretty good too

I agree with this assessment, the movie also dragged on too long IMO. It has beautiful cinematography but it's lacking in the other departments, mainly the writing. The plot and characters aren't interesting enough to justify the running time of the film, Leo basically wants revenge on Hardy
and at the end of the film gets his revenge
and then it ends. There isn't much exploration of any larger themes, no larger character study, just a really simple plot told way too long. Also, I was more amazed at Hardy's performance than Leo's. I don't see this as Leo's Oscar performance, he's done better, if he does win it would be more of an apology Oscar as opposed to one earned for the specific movie nominated.

number11

Leo definitely deserves the Oscar this year.. Mainly because there's not really much competition this year.

Leo has always been unlucky in that there was always someone else who put in a stand out performance in the years he was nominated.

Blader

How gruesome is the movie? My girlfriend really wants to see it, but some of the things I've read, I feel like she doesn't know what she's getting into. :lol

ogbg

Tom Hardy said he was to some extent imitating Tom Berenger's Sergeant Barnes from Platoon.

Anyone notice the connection with Inception?

ogbg

How gruesome is the movie? My girlfriend really wants to see it, but some of the things I've read, I feel like she doesn't know what she's getting into. :lol

How squeamish is she? It's nothing compared to a gory horror film but there are one or two gruesome moments. The camera never really lingers on any of the gore though (apart from the bear scene which isn't that gory but is very violent)

EDIT: Actually, now I think about it there are more than one or two gruesome moments. Maybe I just have a high tolerance for that kind of thing. But still it's not like a gorefest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom