• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for The Revenant (DiCaprio, Hardy, dir. Iñarritu)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iñárritu is one of my favorite directors. Some of his films aren't for everyone. Birdman was one of his more consumer friendly films.
Really? I'd say the opposite. I couldn't finish Birdman, but this is so right up my alley. Survival, the frontier, gorgeous cinematography, a brutal and bleak tone, a classic revenge story

I'm so hyped for this

iamblades

150 min runtime is now long.

Heh.

^^

Do people have no attention spans these days?

Some of my favorite movies ever have running times that long or longer with plots just as simple. Lawrence of Arabia, Once Upon a Time in the West, etc.

Sometimes it's nice to take some time to experience the journey instead of it just being about getting to the destination and the important beats along the way.

munchie64

This ain't the video game side guys, 8 isn't a meh score lol

Anyway I should see this whenever it comes out here. Loved Birdaman, loved the trailers, love the setting, love the actors... it's all good.

J2 Cool

Rotten tomatoes just says recommend it or don't. Which a lot of them are saying see it regardless, but with some reservations.

When it comes to long movies, as long as they're great like Once Upon A Time In America, Lonesome Dove, Once Upon A Time In The West, Lawrence of Arabia, Seven Samurai, Shawshank Redemption, Che.etc then...

giphy.gif

Decado

Still very interested, but I always worry when pacing issues are mentioned. I tend to be less forgiving of that flaw these days.

This ain't the video game side guys, 8 isn't a meh score lol

Anyway I should see this whenever it comes out here. Loved Birdaman, loved the trailers, love the setting, love the actors... it's all good.

I don't think it has anything to do with video games. I've been graded on a 7-10 scale my entire life when it comes to education. It's more or less ingrained in people, but that's for a different thread.

I'm still excited to see the movie, but I don't get the 2.5 hour complaints. There are 90min to 2hr movies that felt like they lasted an eternity to me and stuff that was 2.5hr+ that felt like it flew by.

hirokazu

Wasn't expecting some of those mixed reviews. I had a really good time with the film. Some of them sound kinda jaded like "yeah stop showing us how difficult the shoot was."

Uh, okay... I wasn't thinking that when I was watched the it. I'd only heard a bit about the shoot before watching it. I thought the film depicted the struggle well, and I think it's more impressive for how wacky they were to put themselves through it in hindsight.

I don't think the runtime was an issue. It never felt overly long. Some of the flashbacks do seem a bit disjointed, but the film kept me engaged with its amazing photography for the most of it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I saw it a lot a PGA screening a while back and *loved* it.

My wife and step-Dad saw the screener we got and thought it was intense and involving but maybe a little too grisly.

Jarmel

Banned
It's a very slow and understated movie. Things happen and won't be played up but seem rather matter-of-factly. It gives the feel a level of realism in that this is how it is, despite the surreal events.

It's a really tense film but I can already tell some people are not going to care despite the fantastic sound direction and visual cinematography. The opening has some really long one takes.

I'm not a fan of Iñárritu's work usually. Some of it I've liked but I couldn't even finish Birdman I was so bored with it.

This movie is amazing though. I LOVED it. If you're a fan of "westerns" or the like I don't see how you couldn't love this film. It's definitely a slow burn and could still work with about half an hour cut from it but I was never once bored. It's a beautiful, brutal film and I was enthralled the entire time.

Jarmel

Banned
The most divisive element of the film will be the pacing. Either you're engrossed with what's happening or think "nothing is happening, shit is boring".

The runtime isn't long but it feels like a long movie due to things like there being minutes of nothing but Leo crawling.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Man, is there really no OT for this movie? This film was fucking amazing! My favorite movie of 2015. I was just totally blown away. The cinematography, acting and situations in this movie had me in awe. This might be Tom Hardy's best performance, and I'm betting Leo finally gets an Oscar for this, and if he doesn't, then fuck the oscars. I haven't seen a better performance all year. This is also one of the most beautifully shot movies I have EVER seen.

I seriously think this movie is a Masterpiece. Anyone thinking this movie was slow/boring is out of their fucking mind.

lazygecko

This might be Tom Hardy's best performance, and I'm betting Leo finally gets an Oscar for this, and if he doesn't, then fuck the oscars. I haven't seen a better performance all year. This is also one of the most beautifully shot movies I have EVER seen.

I seriously think this movie is a Masterpiece. Anyone thinking this movie was slow/boring is out of their fucking mind.

There better be some good Leo Oscar .gif material from this movie, if anything.

The Chef

Slant Magazine: That The Revenant is egregiously overlong is almost beside the point; audiences will manage their expectations in that regard. What pushes the film, at long last, into the icy river, is its very design, as a monument to slick, mercenary grandeur.

giphy.gif

Slant Magazine: That The Revenant is egregiously overlong is almost beside the point; audiences will manage their expectations in that regard. What pushes the film, at long last, into the icy river, is its very design, as a monument to slick, mercenary grandeur.
Seriously. Did this person literally just crap out any words they could think of into a long, rambling sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom