• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisited X2 and it's clarified to me that Days of Future Past is the better movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Saw X-men Apocalypse on opening weekend and liked it, but certainly didn't love it. The best thing I can say is that Cyclops and Storm were a big improvement from the older films, and that it was better than The Last Stand. It did make me question if the oldest X-men movies, in particular X2, were ever truly great or if they're just a product of their time, seeing as how X2 was my fave CBM for quite a long time.

Rewatched X2 on the weekend and it's a relief to find it's still a fantastic film that feels fresh (even the CG has aged well, minus the Mystique in the toilet stall transformation). I've been torn since seeing Days of Future Past (and the Rogue Cut version of DOFP too) on which movie would be my favorite X-flick, I've had them locked in a "tie" for fave since 2014.

Curious what the consensus is between these two movies, as I think the general consensus online seems to be that X2 and DOFP are the two top films in the franchise.

X2:
+ Jean, Magneto, Xavier, Nightcrawler, Mystique and Wolverine were all perfectly cast and were clearly comfortable in their roles (after the slightly rough X1)
+ Great soundtrack
+ Special effects still look really good minus a few scenes where Mystique transforming is very "2003 CG". X2 gets props for being a massive improvement from X1 which looks almost budget cosplay in comparison
+ Feels like a movie anyone can enjoy, not just a superhero flick for "comic book fans" that some older CBMs fall into. X2 is the movie that kind of set the grounded tone for the series, improving on X1 in every way
+ "Have you tried not being a mutant?" Being able to equate the struggles of mutants with real life issues that LGBT people face makes the film resonate with people more than your average CBM

- The pacing of the movie is an issue. It never feels like the film is building up to a grand finale, it feels like each scene just kind of happens.
- The finale teasing Phoenix was such a huge cliffhanger to end on, and seeing how enormously Last Stand botched that (among many other things), it kind of lessens X2 for me a bit
- Killing all mutants was kind of a dumb, generic motive for Stryker. Then Magneto rearranging a few panels in Cerebro somehow changes it to kill all humans? A mess
- Storm is such a let down. She's my favorite Marvel character and the new girl in Apocalypse was a slight improvement, but the watered down Halle Berry version is my biggest pet peeve with this franchise
- Cyclops and Mystique were barely characters. Rebecca Romijn was fantasic as Mystique, but she is given almost nothing to do except hack into a computer, oh and flip the bird while sliding under a door I guess

DOFP:

+ Incredible job done with Bishop and Blink. Their actors, looks, powers, everything with these two was flawless
+ Ramping up the on screen powers was a good decision despite being earlier in the timeline for some parts, everybody felt too nerfed in X2
+ The JLaw haters are very vocal but I've always enjoyed her as Mystique. Whew, that scene where she leads the Vietnamese general on to get some intel and he tries getting her clothes off in the hotel after calling her "baby" and she transforms "what's the matter, baby? You don't think I look pretty like this?" before putting the smack down on him
L0KnlU3.gif

+ Michael Fassbender as Magneto. Right on par with Ian Mckellan imo and every scene with Fassy in DOFP is just gold
+ Quicksilver (I don't think he's overly broken either as Apocalypse somewhat addressed that issue)
+ Maybe unfair, but seeing both the old and new cast on screen was a huge bonus if you've watched these from the start, especially as the ending
when the camera finally reveals Jean being alive and well
is legit the only time I've ever teared up in an X-men film
+ The ending. It's a pretty definitive ending for the most part if you stop watching the movies here and can leave feeling satisfied. Doesn't feel like sequel bait the way X2 kind of did when it ended
+ The stakes in the film felt a lot higher but also a lot more personal than X2 or any of the other movies (including Apoc)

- A ton of focus on Wolverine again. Not as bad as X2, and I love Hugh as Wolvie but after so many "Wolverine and Friends" films PLUS two solo movies, it's gotten tired
- Magneto using train track metal strips to control the Sentinals REALLY requires a massive suspension of disbelief. Since the rest of the film is laid out so well, I don't know why they couldn't come up with a better solution for that
- Kitty suddenly having the power to send someone's consciousness back in time out of nowhere was a bit ridiculous, as was Logan suddenly having metal claws again with no on screen explanation. It highlights how little they care about continuity in the X-flicks *sigh*
- The 70s sentinels were a bit goofy looking, and way too small (the future ones felt like a legit threat though thankfully)

DOFP > X2 since DOFP feels like it'll age just as well, but it has better pacing, better action scenes with really cool use of powers, and it builds up to a great finale plus the "main threat" in the film is better realized.

Which of the two films do you think is the better X-flick? Can't go wrong either way honestly.

Bljvc3D.gif

Prefer X2 by a longshot tbh, it's a top 3 superhero comic movie for me. But I really like both.

Magneto was such a sassy shit in this one lol. How he constantly belittled wolverine and rogue was great. Such a wry performance from Gandalf.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I guess...Days of Future Past? Looking back on it now, I was probably all too kind to that movie when I first saw it in theatres, especially given the fundamental flaws it has (particularly Quicksilver), but X2...ohhh, I never found that to be good. In fact, the only movie from the X franchise that I could ever conceivably rank as good would be First Class. I mean, I get why people clung on to those first two X movies, because at the time, it was considered the best we could ever hope for in a comic movie, but in a post Sam Raimi Spiderman world, and especially in a post Iron Man world, the bar has only risen. And judging from the reactions toward Apocalypse, it seems as though the series has a hard time moving past that.

Takyon

I recently watched DOFP again, and it impressed me far more than the first time I had seen it.
The arc of Charles trying to make sense of his relationship with mystique was well set up and given the time it needed to pay off at the end.

I watched the Rogue cut of DOFP recently and enjoyed it even more. I originally went in with gated expectations when I saw it in theaters but left pleasantly surprised. I thought the trailers looked pretty crap, but I felt the same about First Class before seeing it as well.

I have never thought X2 was anything better than a fun popcorn flick. There are great scenes but I feel like the overall plot was boring and pacing was shit.

I still haven't seen the new movie. Not sure if I will just wait for the blu-ray release or not at this point.

yeah. i think the gap between these and the rest of the franchise is large (and I include deadpool in there too which i liked quite a bit)

Yeah. I think that's what disappointed me most about Apocalypse so much. It had many of the same people working on it but it felt so sloppy.

I'd rank Deadpool alongside (if not above) The Wolverine. Easily in the top five. Last Stand and Origins don't exist in my timeline.

I do think the first third of X-Men holds up fairly well (if a bit more grounded than what would follow in the franchise and genre as a whole) up to and including the train station sequence. Plus it had the perfect ending to lead in to X2.

Also the score by Michael Kamen is severely under-rated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLmaJea4ZoU

first one suffers from a sliced budget and really dated effects. but the way it introduced wolverine was so good (that cage fight scene...and then the bar where he reveals his claws). such a fresh take on these comic book heroes at the time. i think nolan even said that it was an influence on him for batman begins.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah I agree OP. First trilogy definitely has some age on them now with X2 being the best of the trio, but DOFP just hit so many notes for me that I loved it for the most part. X2 is still my 2nd favorite X-men movie.

karobit

Days of Future Past is where I gave up on X-Men films.

Apparently Mystique's the most important person in the world but the explanation they give for why her shape shifting abilities makes the Sentinels more adaptable makes no sense. She's a shape-changer, not Mimic.

The film first tries very hard to make sure she doesn't kill Trask because that would
damn her eternal soul
make the humans launch the Sentinel project, but they launch it anyways and then she shows up again, threatens everyone a bunch, then shoots the guy who's about to kill them and leaves and everyone's okay with it.

Xavier and Magneto fight over her like shitty boyfriends while a half-dozen other characters get completely ignored.
I'm very glad for Toad's gainful employment at the burger joint

The Rogue Cut makes things worse by being completely pointless -- a prison break intercut with Magneto retrieving his dumb helmet just makes the helmet rescue look stupid and the only material difference on the story is that every time you saw Kitty in the final act of the film you see Rogue instead.

I haven't rewatched X2 in a couple years and it honestly wasn't as good as I remember, but nothing in First Class or DoFP had any sort of real emotional resonance as Bobby's "coming out" to his parents. Without a real meaningful scene like that, the only thing left is explosions and at that point I might as well just watch X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

DOFP is one of my favorite comic book movies, but I wish Kitty Pryde should have been the main character who went back in time. Wolverine from the past could still be in the story, but he didn't need to be the time traveler.

Days of Future Past is where I gave up on X-Men films.

Apparently Mystique's the most important person in the world but the explanation they give for why her shape shifting abilities makes the Sentinels more adaptable makes no sense. She's a shape-changer, not Mimic.

The film first tries very hard to make sure she doesn't kill Trask because that would
damn her eternal soul
make the humans launch the Sentinel project, but they launch it anyways and then she shows up again, threatens everyone a bunch, then shoots the guy who's about to kill them and leaves and everyone's okay with it.

Xavier and Magneto fight over her like shitty boyfriends while a half-dozen other characters get completely ignored.
I'm very glad for Toad's gainful employment at the burger joint

The Rogue Cut makes things worse by being completely pointless -- a prison break intercut with Magneto retrieving his dumb helmet just makes the helmet rescue look stupid and the only material difference on the story is that every time you saw Kitty in the final act of the film you see Rogue instead.

I haven't rewatched X2 in a couple years and it honestly wasn't as good as I remember, but nothing in First Class or DoFP had any sort of real emotional resonance as Bobby's "coming out" to his parents. Without a real meaningful scene like that, the only thing left is explosions and at that point I might as well just watch X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Everyone's okay with it because she saved the President of the United States, who would probably influence the progress of human-mutant relations

DeathyBoy

Banned
X-Men 2 by a long stretch as well.

Nightcrawler at the start is still breathtaking. Every character gets a mini-arc (Pyro/Bobby get some deep shit), and Stryker is an exceptional villain. Like the series has tried to do that 'human villain' again and again and it's never worked the same because Brian Cox fucking commits to it so, friggin, hard. Like he's not acting in a blockbuster, he's just acting, period.

Even when the film gets into the absurd Jason stuff, Brian Cox is selling it as hard as I've ever seen anyone sell a villainous role in a blockbuster. Shame The Last Stand ignores the great bit at the end where Wolverine acknowledges Jean loved Cyclops more.

karobit

Everyone's okay with it because she saved the President of the United States, who would probably influence the progress of human-mutant relations

She saved him right before she aimed a gun at someone on live TV for a very long time. And then she, and Magneto, the guy who nearly just killed the President, just leave with no repercussions. But it's okay, because Xavier has hopes for them and there will be a time when they're all together.

It's the end to Spider-Man 3 without even the decency to give us a dance number.

Aurongel

X2 was more meaningful for its time because it was the biggest step forward in terms of maturity the genre has had to date in film. But come on y'all... X2 has some fucking CHEESE in it for sure.

X2 is the more important film, but DoFP is the better made one. It just shines less bright now that the the standard is higher.

Sheroking

DOFP is one of my favorite comic book movies, but I wish Kitty Pryde should have been the main character who went back in time. Wolverine from the past could still be in the story, but he didn't need to be the time traveler.

He needed to be the time traveler because Hugh Jackman is the biggest star playing the most popular character in the franchise. That has weight.

I understand why people fans have been tired of Wolverine-centered X-Men films, but don't kid yourself, that character is BY FAR the biggest reason X-Men is a film franchise.

I agree that DOFP > X2. Both are in the upper echelon of CBMs

Sadly both of their sequels are massively disappointing.

DOFP is the best CBM since TDK. So I guess I'll go with that one

I can get with this. Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2, or Winter Soldier would take #3 for me.

I'll be the only person that says it but I actually prefer the first movie in the franchise. People bag out the cgi, but I think it looks fine and I find it more of a thrill ride than X2, TLS and DOFP.

I'll be the only person that says it but I actually prefer the first movie in the franchise. People bag out the cgi, but I think it looks fine and I find it more of a thrill ride than X2, TLS and DOFP.

Somehow Magneto's forcefield homage in X1 looks better than the etch-a-sketch force field we get 6+ movies later.

X-Men 2 by a long stretch as well.

Nightcrawler at the start is still breathtaking. Every character gets a mini-arc (Pyro/Bobby get some deep shit), and Stryker is an exceptional villain. Like the series has tried to do that 'human villain' again and again and it's never worked the same because Brian Cox fucking commits to it so, friggin, hard. Like he's not acting in a blockbuster, he's just acting, period.

Even when the film gets into the absurd Jason stuff, Brian Cox is selling it as hard as I've ever seen anyone sell a villainous role in a blockbuster. Shame The Last Stand ignores the great bit at the end where Wolverine acknowledges Jean loved Cyclops more.

Brian Cox one of the best villains in the genre. He has a little 2 episode stint in Penny Dreadful and dude channels Stryker in it, shit was great.

OnPoint

I don't know that I consider X1 the best in the franchise -- I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, and for its time they did a bang up job -- but I wasn't particularly enamored with X2 myself. Like, it wasn't bad. But it didn't feel like the next best step.

I guess I'm saying I prefer DoFP to it.

DoFP is a good script first, and summer blockbuster second. That's why I love it so much.

Apocalypse was the opposite. An enjoyable experience, but far from as tight as DoFP when it comes to pure screenwriting.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
DoFP is a good script first, and summer blockbuster second. That's why I love it so much.

Apocalypse was the opposite. An enjoyable experience, but far from as tight as DoFP when it comes to pure screenwriting.

Yup, DOFP is just a great movie period, comic book related or not.

Apocalypse is a decent comic book movie, but a huge, mediocre mess otherwise. I'm still in shock as to how that happened since you have the same director as DOFP, plus the incredible Oscar Isaac playing one of Marvel's most iconic villains. If there was ever a movie I was sure was going to be great, it was Apocalypse.

Sephzilla

I'm not sure how anyone can really put J-Law as a plus in DOFP. She's a talented actress but she's basically sleep walking through that movie. McAvoy, Fassbender, Jackman, Stewart, and McKellen all out act her.

Who is this bald dude that loads of people on GAF have an avatar of?

Anyway, how is the Rogue cut of DOFP? Better or worse? DOFP is my favourite X-Men film too.

Sephzilla

Who is this bald dude that loads of people on GAF have an avatar of?

If you're referring to mine, WrassleGAF did an Avatar Royal Rumble a little while back. So anyone who submitted an entrant is stuck with this for a month. His name is Berlyn/Alex Wright

Blader

I still like DOFP, but after rewatching it recently, I was disappointed with:

-how boring Magneto becomes once he shifts back to full-on villain mode
-how terrible so much of the dialogue is
-how shitty the future sets look

And some other things I'm forgetting at the moment. The Rogue Cut additions were also worthless, and clearly deleted for a reason.

I haven't seen it in a couple years but I'm pretty sure X2 is the better movie.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
First Class is my favorite. But between the two, I prefer X2. I am a massive XMEN fangirl and while both movies are too Wolverine centric, I think making DoFP about Logan was especially detrimental.
Apocalypse can fucking eat me though. Did not like it. Not as bad as Origins or X3 but still.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
If you're referring to mine, WrassleGAF did an Avatar Royal Rumble a little while back. So anyone who submitted an entrant is stuck with this for a month. His name is Berlyn/Alex Wright
I doubt that Apocalypse underperforming is a hell of a wictory on Fox's part.

X2 was more meaningful for its time because it was the biggest step forward in terms of maturity the genre has had to date in film. But come on y'all... X2 has some fucking CHEESE in it for sure.

X2 is the more important film, but DoFP is the better made one. It just shines less bright now that the the standard is higher.

I agree with all of this. I prefer DoFP but you can't deny the significance of X2 to the entire genre. DoFP benefits a lot from the groundwork X2 and other early stabs at "serious" comic book movies laid before it.

X2 still has some of the best character work in the genre, though. Not everyone, but certain characters had some fantastic scenes that made them feel real in a way few comic book movies have achieved, before or since.

enigmatic_alex44

I'm not sure how anyone can really put J-Law as a plus in DOFP. She's a talented actress but she's basically sleep walking through that movie. McAvoy, Fassbender, Jackman, Stewart, and McKellen all out act her.

Yeah, all the actors you mentioned are great in their roles, but what's so bad about JLaw's Mystique though? Her detractors always claim "she sleep walked through the film" but I don't see it? Is it the "resting bitch face" she pulls through a lot of the movie? The previous Mystique was played well but was barely a character, more of a plot device really.

JLaw's Mystique is a lot younger and less mature than the original trilogy Mystique, so she's supposed to be inexperienced and somewhat abrasive, untrusting of anybody and JLaw pulls it off flawlessly imo.

DOFP is also where she was at her best (from the 3 movies where she played Mystique). The weak links acting wise in these movies are Cyclops (older version), Storm (older version), and Jean Grey (younger version).

No idea why DOFP gets so much praise. It was okay. This is the movie where Xavier takes magic walking pills that take away his telekinesis right?

RS4-

It's too bad we got that bullshit Apoc after how good DoFP was. Huge letdown.

I gotta go with X2 being better than DoFP though.

Kurdel

Banned
Great post!

I should revisit the first movies, I remember being dissapointed with all of them, except the first one.

cacildo

"too much focus on wolverine" - come to think of it its pretty cool that there is two main Xmen movies almost without wolverine in it

"Wolverine has metal claws in the future" - is there any reason in the movies universe why he shouldnt? (If it is something that happened in his solo movies then i really dont know)

"Kitty suddenly can send people back in time"
- the explanation was "her powers evolved". Its fine by me. There is worst stuff in the movies. Like the Magneto Sentinels

DOFP was basically written as a union between the old cast and the new cast - this is why Wolverine works since he actually has connections with Xavier and Magneto.

Plus, he doesn't actually go full Wolverine in the movie and didn't steal the show away from anyone.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Brian Cox one of the best villains in the genre. He has a little 2 episode stint in Penny Dreadful and dude channels Stryker in it, shit was great.

Dude is also the best Hannibal. Like five minutes of screentime, underplays it, and still comes across creepier than the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom