• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RoboCop: Rogue City |OT| Somebody Call A Goddamn Paramedic!

Eiknarf

I don't really like japanese gunplay feeling that much, so for me re4 doesn't even register, but i know i'm an outlier here, for my personal taste robocop crush re4 shooting that also rely too much on headshot+kick for 90% of the game.

It has better gunplay than starfield by a mile.

I didn't played aw2 but shooting looks clunkier and frankly worse than control, and some people who played both said the same.

Immortals didn't looked as punchy and no gore or blood.

Dead island 2 is probably the closest one but you barely use fire weapons in that game, i still think that robocop has the edge except for the gore system (and no game is gonna beat the gore in that game for a long time)
Ahh wait
Are you saying you’re not a fan of the gunplay in RE4 Remske? Cuz I am always on the fence about the gunplay in RE games (haven’t yet tried RE4 Remake)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The models vary from shit to decent (mostly the faces, the models are aight), but they nailed the afro hair texture on the captain, very convincing (although the hairline end a bit abruptly and it look like he has a wig)

They have this strange cartoony\stylized style but robocop is hyper-realistic, they clash a bit.

Robo has some of the juiciest lips I've seen rendered in a game. NGL.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Must be something with your specific configuration. 7 hours, 0 crashes. Just one soft lock (don’t shoot all the targets when game is asking you to score at least 15 points to calibrate someone’s weapon… it’s not prepared for that, lol).

Game don’t like windows 11 apparently . The last thing I tried that worked instantly is putting the executable in windows 8 compatibility mode

adamsapple

Some impressions from the Xbox version after a couple of hours of play.

- Like AW2, another game where I am surprised the Performance mode is as stable as it is. Maybe the VRR Is helping some but it feels pretty smooth.
- However, in the open city areas, there is traversal stutter here and there.
- Swapping between Quality and Performance, at a glance it just looks like resolution difference, if there are any other cuts, they're not big enough to be immediately obvious to me.
- In general, the game feels like a slower paced Homefront 2

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

So I finally finished it. Between yesterday and today I've played it about 20 hours. For the most part minus the cutscene camera change bug and the texture pop in here and there it ran damn smoothly minus the one time I had to restart tthe game so I could pick prompts on a computer.

The gunplay never got old for me. I felt like RoboCop every bit of the way. I can see though how some people who are more into modern FPS games could get bored with it. I think I used a weapon beside the Auto 9 once. This will not be everyone's cup of tea though as the game is very much for fans. If you want something that plays like a modern FPS this isn't for you. It's very much a love letter to RoboCop fans.

Story wise I was actually gripped by it. I wish the story had been a bit deeper more so into motivations etc but still what was there was good. The one thing really I'd have loved to see was the part of Old Detroit you visit regularly be different areas. That part did get a bit old. Still if they ever make a sequel which I hope they do that can be fixed. At the same time I will 100 percent agree with any review that says the enemy AI is lacking. That's another area that could use some work in the future.

BTW New game plus is a must. I really wonder how fun the earlier stuff would be with an suped up Robo. lol

My final score as a huge RoboCop fan is a solid 7 outta 10.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Some impressions from the Xbox version after a couple of hours of play.

- Like AW2, another game where I am surprised the Performance mode is as stable as it is. Maybe the VRR Is helping some but it feels pretty smooth.
- However, in the open city areas, there is traversal stutter here and there.
- Swapping between Quality and Performance, at a glance it just looks like resolution difference, if there are any other cuts, they're not big enough to be immediately obvious to me.
- In general, the game feels like a slower paced Homefront 2.

Just when I thought you might just be kind of a cool dude you go and fuck it all up with some asinine shit like this

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Terminator & Robo

hSE3Xee.jpg

uqo2rqp.jpg

3u9wveL.gif

Teyon is becoming one of my fav devs full stop

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Found a copy, finally. Idk if places just didn’t get the game or it’s selling well but no one had any for either console. Snagged the last Xbox copy from a GameStop where a kid with chipped black fingernail paint rudely reminded me that the second the game is opened it is not returnable and can’t be exchanged. Like, damn, aren’t you about to be the next KMart/TRU? Be glad anyone is coming in to buy physical 😆

Installing now, can’t wait
christoph waltz television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

Ivan

I really love the game. I guess that technical advancement made it look more polished and attractive than Terminator. This is better IMO. I love everything about it and it makes me angry and sad at the same time when I think about today's single player FPS games...

Just imagine these guys having AAA budget...

Last edited:

Kuwitzzer

Can anyone tell me how to turn off upscaling? I can switch between options but that’s about it, can not find the ”off” option. Is upscaling mandatory?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ahh wait
Are you saying you’re not a fan of the gunplay in RE4 Remske? Cuz I am always on the fence about the gunplay in RE games (haven’t yet tried RE4 Remake)
Re4 remake gunplay is fine, a lot of people love it.

It feels better than the previous 2 in first person, but i still like non-japanese gunplay better.

im a couple hours in and loving it. what skills should I spend my level up points on first?
Im playing on extreme and starting from the steel mill/quarry you'll need the dash (engineering lv2), bullet time (focus lv2) and armor lv2 at least to survive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Damn, I need to unlock focus. I've invested all my points into Deduction to get that sweet, sweet +30% XP boost.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
I just started the game... it seems like most of the good stuff is right at the first unlock in each category. I'm eyeing that +30% as well but it almost feels like a trap. I guess I don't have a concept of whether you will unlock everything over the course of a playthrough, and if being on the hardest difficulty nerfs your XP gains or anything.

I split the difference and grabbed the first unlock for Deduction and then the one at the bottom that gives you double Public Trust? Which makes me think that all the "Upholding the Law" I've been doing is essentially punishing me... which would be too bad because I mean it's Robocop, and being a total dick and a stickler for the rules is the way I want to Robocop.

Im playing on extreme and starting from the steel mill/quarry you'll need the dash (engineering lv2), bullet time (focus lv2) and armor lv2 at least to survive.
I just finished Ghost House on Extreme and it's been a total cakewalk so far. Is there a big difficulty spike?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
So I finally finished it. Between yesterday and today I've played it about 20 hours. For the most part minus the cutscene camera change bug and the texture pop in here and there it ran damn smoothly minus the one time I had to restart tthe game so I could pick prompts on a computer.

The gunplay never got old for me. I felt like RoboCop every bit of the way. I can see though how some people who are more into modern FPS games could get bored with it. I think I used a weapon beside the Auto 9 once. This will not be everyone's cup of tea though as the game is very much for fans. If you want something that plays like a modern FPS this isn't for you. It's very much a love letter to RoboCop fans.

Story wise I was actually gripped by it. I wish the story had been a bit deeper more so into motivations etc but still what was there was good. The one thing really I'd have loved to see was the part of Old Detroit you visit regularly be different areas. That part did get a bit old. Still if they ever make a sequel which I hope they do that can be fixed. At the same time I will 100 percent agree with any review that says the enemy AI is lacking. That's another area that could use some work in the future.

BTW New game plus is a must. I really wonder how fun the earlier stuff would be with an suped up Robo. lol

My final score as a huge RoboCop fan is a solid 7 outta 10.
I have to disagree.

I'm not the biggest robocop fan, i like it like everyone else, but i'm not obsessed with the brand in the slightest and i still think the game is good enough to stand on its feet.

Being a superfan make everything better but the game has a lot of good things going on for people who like more slower fps with some sandbox areas to explore, stuff to upgrade, sidequest to do and shit.

Only people that definitely are not gonna like this game are people in search for a fast paced fps where you shoot people all the time and people who actively hate the robocop brand or the police.

For the price of 30 euros on pc, the game is unmissable for everyone that like slow paced fps and sandbox exploration, robocop fans or not.

Completed it mate. 12.5 hours per Steam and I think I did everything but I want to go again even over playing SM2 which I'm near the start of so they've done a great job here. Wasn't sure how well a Robocop game would work but the answer is really fucking well.

The environmental destruction isn't super complex, we had stuff like this in games years ago, but then it just stopped for some reason - it adds a lot to the game and makes you feel like a complete menace to both criminal scum and interior decorators everywhere. Seeing the beautiful courthouse turned into rubble thanks to Robocop administering justice is so good man.

Nothing crazy going on just pure fun and a decently compelling story.

I just finished Ghost House on Extreme and it's been a total cakewalk so far. Is there a big difficulty spike?
there is a difficulty spike but nothing unmanageable. They also give you plenty of healing items, but the enemies become more numerous and have deadlier weapons.
they can shred your lifebar in a few of seconds if you dont pay attention.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
The missions seem pretty great. I’m still walking around the opening night area, trying to clean up all the side missions before I leave. I’m at 4/6 citations and can’t find shit else to cite anyone for 🤷‍♂️

I also like how leveling up various skills will actually add different ways to complete missions and interact with scumbags. But can you come back to areas later? I’ve passed up like four safes that require engineering 6 to unlock and I’m like, damn, I just started playing, how can I be engineer 6?

Well I finally got a few hours in and the gunplan is SO much fun!!

At first I was tossing monitors and gas canisters... Now I'm throwing bikes at bikers. :D

The possibilities with focus and throwing are infinite. I found myself throwing a bike towards a sniper, going into focus and blast it as soon as it was close to him.

The explosion was pure carnage with bodyparts flying everywhere. :D
If you really want to have fun, pick up a heavy pistol .50 and go apeshit crazy!

Last edited:

adamsapple

The missions seem pretty great. I’m still walking around the opening night area, trying to clean up all the side missions before I leave. I’m at 4/6 citations and can’t find shit else to cite anyone for 🤷‍♂️

I also like how leveling up various skills will actually add different ways to complete missions and interact with scumbags. But can you come back to areas later? I’ve passed up like four safes that require engineering 6 to unlock and I’m like, damn, I just started playing, how can I be engineer 6?

If you put 8 points in deduction, (i-e get to the second perk), it should start marking all citation points on the map.

Also, that is the first branch I maxed cause the last perk give you a permanent 30% exp boost.

And you *do* visit the downtown again later, but I am not sure if the same citations from before are still there, I'm at the place the second time at a different time of day now and there's a whole another set of citations.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Man that
ED 209
Steel Mill boss fight was intense. Relatively tight quarters, you can’t exactly sprint as fast as you need to, and it’s just pure chaos trying to find decent cover. Focus is a godsend for that battle.

What a fucking game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Fuck me, those are some shots. I am in the middle of AW2 and do not want to start another game before I wrap it, but the temptation is high.

Btw, do you also get the slow texture loading or not, with 4090?

No, it's fine on my end. The biggest issue is that image is quite unstable when you move. Especially around reflections on concrete etc. But yeah, game looks very, very good.

Mobilemofo

Some minors issues..when robo stands up out of the chair, he's up very quickly. Had to reboot two or three times as some actions didn't work..some texture glitches too. The first ed-209 right is easy, and can be beaten by standing in one spot. Apart from these things, i'm having a fabulous time.

Gp1

The only thing that really bothers me about this game is the Robocop animations. Robo looks like a tubeman. Completely different than the Robocop's "body language" on the first and second movie.
They should have hired Pete Weller to at least take a look on what they were doing.

Besides that, it's great to see a game that don't over promises and under deliver like a certain game from Bethesda

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The only thing that really bothers me about this game is the Robocop animations. Robo looks like a tubeman. Completely different than the Robocop's "body language" on the first and second movie.
They should have hired Pete Weller to at least take a look on what they were doing.

Besides that, it's great to see a game that don't over promises and under deliver like a certain game from Bethesda

I’m sure Weller knew what they were doing considering he’s the actual voice of the character

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
My right nut to see an interview with Weller about the making of this

Watch RoboDoc. His passion for the role is so true.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
How do you take pictures with no hud on at all? I always have a number 1 in the corner

You have 1 skill point to spend, my man. Use it and it's gone.

Edit: now I realized that my FPS counter is there in the bottom left corner... oops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom