• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RoboCop: Rogue City |OT| Somebody Call A Goddamn Paramedic!

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Depends on what's your definition of 'perfect'. Both RoboCop: Rogue City and Terminator: Resistance are perfect adaptations of beloved IPs to video game form, more so than some of the recent AAA offerings. No agenda, no bullshit. You can feel the love and respect developers had for these franchises.
Looking forward to it thank you!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Gameplay gets more varied the more enemy type they introduce and the more abilities you upgrade, but yeah some of the heavy lifting is done by the situations you are in, like yesterday i did a
kill contest with the swat team\ed 209 inside a bank with a lot of destruction going on, it was linear but fucking glorious.

I've played the quarry section yesterday and it was awesome. First, the bikers and then when I thought I will be backtracking with nothing going on, they introduced snipers. Every 15 minutes there's something new.

Looking forward to it thank you!

Enjoy, man!

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Gameplay gets more varied the more enemy type they introduce and the more abilities you upgrade, but yeah some of the heavy lifting is done by the situations you are in, like yesterday i did a
kill contest with the swat team\ed 209 inside a bank with a lot of destruction going on, it was linear but fucking glorious.

I'm still at the
Steel Mill
and Ive been surprised at the amount of quiet moments there are just walking around, checking everywhere for evidence XP or OCP chests. I even found a little sidequest involving a small hostage situation. The .50 cal pistol is preem for breaching and rescues since every shot is a one hit kill.

Haven't died yet, but Ive definitely come close a few times. I dont think Ill ever get tired of doing point blank shotgun blasts to those guys riding their bikes. The Focus mode fuckin rocks.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm still at the
Steel Mill
and Ive been surprised at the amount of quiet moments there are just walking around, checking everywhere for evidence XP or OCP chests. I even found a little sidequest involving a small hostage situation. The .50 cal pistol is preem for breaching and rescues since every shot is a one hit kill.

Haven't died yet, but Ive definitely come close a few times. I dont think Ill ever get tired of doing point blank shotgun blasts to those guys riding their bikes. The Focus mode fuckin rocks.

YES! .50 cal absolutely slaps. I've used it for almost the entire duration of that mission but then I've unlocked motherboard that granted me unlimited magazine for RoboCop's main gun and yeah, that's just too awesome...

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
YES! .50 cal absolutely slaps. I've used it for almost the entire duration of that mission but then I've unlocked motherboard that granted me unlimited magazine for RoboCop's main gun and yeah, that's just too awesome...

I didnt get the unlimited mag, but I do now have the option to go either burst fire with the Auto 9 or full auto.

Of course Im rollin fully automatic for that bad boy 😏 Walk into a room, Focus, and then just sweep back and forth popping domes and nutsacks. Its glorious.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What a noob, there is a circuit that make the base pistol oneshot every basic enemy.
50 cal, pffff.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I didnt get the unlimited mag, but I do now have the option to go either burst fire with the Auto 9 or full auto.

Of course Im rollin fully automatic for that bad boy 😏 Walk into a room, Focus, and then just sweep back and forth popping domes and nutsacks. Its glorious.

Damn, I need to unlock focus. I've invested all my points into Deduction to get that sweet, sweet +30% XP boost.

What a noob, there is a circuit that make the base pistol oneshot every basic enemy.
50 cal, pffff.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm still at the
Steel Mill

The game should be played on max difficulty or at least hard if you want a good videogame experience other than just a robocop power fantasy.
Without challenge the whole exploration\upgrade system become meaningless.

I'm playing hard and only died 3 times so i kinda wanna switch to max difficulty.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Damn, I need to unlock focus. I've invested all my points into Deduction to get that sweet, sweet +30% XP boost.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
But to be fair, it's not as fun as the 3 burst mode or the automatic mode, the gun just doesn't sound right with one shot at the time.

Modding and improving the base weapon when the base weapon is iconic is something that i absolutely loves in videogames so this shit hit me right in the kisser.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The game should be played on max difficulty or at least hard if you want a good videogame experience other than just a robocop power fantasy.
Without challenge the whole exploration\upgrade system become meaningless.

I'm playing hard and only died 3 times so i kinda wanna switch to max difficulty.

Man, if any game deserves to be played as a power fantasy its this one. I dont want to die as fuckin Robocop lol

I totally get wanting challenge though, but thats not for me when it comes to an experience like this. Doesnt fit the character.

Now Terminator Resistance, I did play that one on Hard because I thought it'd make more sense since youre a solider in the apocalypse against all odds. Shits gonna be rough going.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Man, if any game deserves to be played as a power fantasy its this one. I dont want to die as fuckin Robocop lol

I totally get wanting challenge though, but thats not for me when it comes to an experience like this. Doesnt fit the character.

Now Terminator Resistance, I did play that one on Hard because I thought it'd make more sense since youre a solider in the apocalypse against all odds. Shits gonna be rough going.
I'm kinda shit with fps and i only died 3 times, hard is the right choice to still be a killer machine but having to look at your health once or twice.

Also...robocop in the movies gets fucking blasted and broken into pieces against heavy fire, even in the movies he is hardly invincible, he still has to avoid the lawrence gang shooting with those huge rifles at the end of the movie.

You are not dr manhattan level of OP.

robocop-were-only-human.gif

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'm kinda shit with fps and i only died 3 times, hard is the right choice to still be a killer machine but having to look at your help once or twice.

Also...robocop in the movies gets fucking blasted and broken into pieces against heavy fire, even in tje movie he is hardly invincible, he still has to avoid the lawrence gsng shooting with those huge rifles at the end of the movie.

You are not dr manhattan level of OP.

robocop-were-only-human.gif

Oh yeah he gets totally wrecked at the end of that first movie. That .50 cal rifle lol

He definitely gets on right on the brink of death. Just like I do :messenger_grinning_smiling:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh yeah he gets totally wrecked at the end of that first movie. That .50 cal rifle lol

He definitely gets on right on the brink of death. Just like I do :messenger_grinning_smiling:
No he gets wrecked by the police first, with kinda normal weapons, no explosives or anything, just pure straight numbers.

Almost time to go home and continue playing. I just left the station with the rookie, so Im not far in at all.
Have yet to see daylight in this game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Almost time to go home and continue playing. I just left the station with the rookie, so Im not far in at all.
Have yet to see daylight in this game.

When you were leaving the station, did you overhear the two cops talking about OCP employees infiltrating the force and working undercover?

I have a feeling
the rookie helping you is exactly that. I wouldnt be surprised if we have a Bioshock/Atlas situation and this dude is playing you the entire time just so Becker/OCP can eventually fuck you over

Ulysses 31

No he gets wrecked by the police first, with kinda normal weapons, no explosives or anything, just pure straight numbers.
I always assumed that police squad were using armor piercing bullets or something since no other guns(other than ED209's) leave big bullet marks in the movie.

The coke factory raid leaves Robo pretty much unscathed with all the thugs shooting at him.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I always assumed that police squad were using armor piercing bullets or something since no other guns(other than ED209's) leave big bullet marks in the movie.

The coke factory raid leaves Robo pretty much unscathed with all the thugs shooting at him.
I mean armour piercing bullet are still what i consider in the realm of "kinda" normal weapons, they were not throwing granades and explosive rounds at him.

I'm sure criminals in robocop lore have armour piercing bullet aswell.

Edit: there is actually a perk in the armour tree that make every normal bullet bounce so it kinda say without saying that some enemies have enhanced bullets\rifles.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Depends on what's your definition of 'perfect'. Both RoboCop: Rogue City and Terminator: Resistance are perfect adaptations of beloved IPs to video game form, more so than some of the recent AAA offerings. No agenda, no bullshit. You can feel the love and respect developers had for these franchises.
This game is pretty awesome. It makes me want to check out terminator, but the reviews are REALLY bad. How is it?

rofif

Banned
Holy fucking shit. This game is just next-level. Out of all games that you can say "it makes you feel like X", this is the best one yet. Such a love letter to the IP. It also looks very, very good!

S6RkFTK.jpg

yfYjhHf.jpg

ZgnljFZ.jpg

GNtZCl8.jpg

vzkUB1M.jpg

G2eJPNw.jpg
Must be something when playing because looking at these shoots, it looks like normal AA game

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes, sadly this is the main reason why Sony pushes for their Ips to score above 90+ by giving employees extra salaries
Sony should buy this team.

A bigger budget + sony big AAA bias and these dudes can easily aim to 90 overblown metascores, robocop is already better than the 3 resistance games combined.

But under sony they would probably start developing barbie or new snowhite tie in instead of cool stuff.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
How is the robot shooting?

At least on par with binary domain?

Well you arent going to hear a *ding* when you get a headshot :messenger_winking:

But the shooting feels good. It uses the dualsense haptics. Its got a similar sort of XP/skill system. Even the weapon upgrading is similar. Sound effects for the pulse rifles and stuff is on point too.

That title screen music though. Teyon knows title screen music. When that 80s guitar kicks in = chills

Last edited:
Looks great but doesn't anyone else think the ragdool needs to be toned down when enemies are taking bullets? There is way to much flying around when just taking a bullet. I feel like it would be a bit more realistic feeling if it was slightly toned down. Throwing them makes looks good but yeah, tone it down a lil.

rofif

Banned
If RoboCop looks like “normal AA” then Forspoken can be categorised as -AAA. C’mon man, it looks very good and is a showcase for what small team can pull off using UE5.
It looks good for a small team suer.
Forspoken is a different game entirely and I think it looks awesome. I often stopped to take screenshots not because "wow these shadows are accurate" but because the view was awesome.
This robocop game looks like UE5 showcase completed from store assets... I mean it's detroit from robocop so of course it's supposed to look drab I guess.

My point is - It might be impressive technically but I am not sure yet if it is impressive visually. I would need to play it

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Based on your impressions & reviews I'm definitely getting this for my Xmas vacation 😃

Also got me curious about Terminator Resistance.
I'll be honest, both games are as ropey as a badgers arsehole. Terminator is clunky as hell and Robo is pure cheese on toast with clunk, but..

With all the nods and winks to both I.p's you can't help but love em! They're just straight to the point. I hope these guys keep bringing us these renditions of 80's classics (I bet we don't get Aliens though..)

Well worth a punt 💰

GymWolf

Gold Member
Looks great but doesn't anyone else think the ragdool needs to be toned down when enemies are taking bullets? There is way to much flying around when just taking a bullet. I feel like it would be a bit more realistic feeling if it was slightly toned down. Throwing them makes looks good but yeah, tone it down a lil.
I mean they get hit by a 3 burst 50cal pistol, people in real life would probably fly aswell :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The only thing i don't like about their ragdoll is that sometimes enemies get stuck inside walls.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'll be honest, both games are as ropey as a badgers arsehole. Terminator is clunky as hell and Robo is pure cheese on toast with clunk, but..

With all the nods and winks to both I.p's you can't help but love em! They're just straight to the point. I hope these guys keep bringing us these renditions of 80's classics (I bet we don't get Aliens though..)

Well worth a punt 💰
I'm sorry what?

The game feels a joy to play, i played triple A with more clunkiness than this game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It looks good for a small team suer.
Forspoken is a different game entirely and I think it looks awesome. I often stopped to take screenshots not because "wow these shadows are accurate" but because the view was awesome.
This robocop game looks like UE5 showcase completed from store assets... I mean it's detroit from robocop so of course it's supposed to look drab I guess.

My point is - It might be impressive technically but I am not sure yet if it is impressive visually. I would need to play it

Your point is that you don't have a point. Character models are mostly miss rather than hit (RoboCop looks ace, that's most important) but environments are amazing, level of detail is amazing, destruction is amazing and gore system is amazing. It looks exactly how RoboCop game should look like. Bleak. Serious. Run-down. Hopeless. These guy understood the world of RoboCop. You walk into an apartment building and you can almost smell the piss and trash. No talking bracelets and other stupid nonsense here.

PuPR1wu.jpeg

9W6IQji.jpeg

WvK8Dbz.jpeg

MITqtQ1.jpeg

GymWolf

Gold Member
They nailed the irony of the universe aswell, the spots on the radio are exactly what would you expect.

And what about the criminals and hobos talking about complicated economic stuff like they are elon musk :lollipop_squinting:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Oh, and they also nailed the humor. It’s this nice mix of seriousness and silliness that’s so hard to get right.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
They nailed the irony of the universe aswell, the spots on the radio are exactly what would you expect.

And what about the criminals and hobos talking about complicated economic stuff like they are elon musk :lollipop_squinting:
I'm hoping they stick and new game+ in. I don't want it just to end.. :messenger_unamused:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
What would you (or anyone in here) say it feels/plays the most like (besides Terminator, being I never tried that one)?

It’s a mix of awesome shooting, exploration, looting, dialogue, investigation with light RPG mechanics (you level up and unlock skill points). I know that’s not what you want to hear but it plays mostly like Terminator.

Exactly. I think it's still mighty impressive what they were able to achieve with their budget and studio size.
Would be great if more studios took note of this and adapted this approach. Smaller teams with a reasonably decent budget very south of gargantuan USD $100+ million typically seem to be allowed to take more creative risks and pour passion into projects.

Sony should buy this team.

A bigger budget + sony big AAA bias and these dudes can easily aim to 90 overblown metascores, robocop is already better than the 3 resistance games combined.

But under sony they would probably start developing barbie or new snowhite tie in instead of cool stuff.
Only if Sony manages to get back to its senses otherwise I really don't want to see it happen. It would be a travesty if they were strong-armed into putting some nonsense into their games because corporate policy dictates it or something like that. I don't want developers like Teyon to get compromised like we have seen so many times already...

Last edited:
Top Bottom