• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ronda Rousey wants to be cast as Captain Marvel, Kevin Smith and Thanos Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
People laughing at Ronda's acting ability in a lead as though Chris Hemsworth is out there winning Oscars.

Chris Hensworth is a good, if not great Thor to anyone that's familiar with the material.

I won't oversell Carol. She can be kind of a meathead in her own right, but it's gonna take a little more than that to play her on-screen. Forget her acting chops. Rousey's arrogance is already s pretty poor fit.

Nokterian

The only real choice is Emily Blunt. We all know this. Sorry Ronda.

CHn6z8T.gif

Ronda is awesome, but I don't think she's much of an actress. I think she would be out of place and I can't imagine her being able to hold her own in that type of environment given how strong the casts in superhero movies generally are. If they could find a minor role for her (like they did with Bautista) it could work, but she's not good enough to be cast as a major character.

This isn't a complete list by any means, but here's a list of Academy Award winners who have acted in superhero movies (either before or after winning their award):
Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholson, Christopher Walken, Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Jack Palance, Heath Ledger, Halle Berry, Gwenyth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges, Ben Kingsley, Jamie Foxx, Nicolas Cage, Kevin Spacy, John Travolta, Natalie Portman, Jennifer Connelly, Anne Hathaway, Anna Paquin, Marion Cotillard, Michael Douglas, Anthony Hopkins, JK Simmons

Here's a few more names that were nominated for Academy Awards:
Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, Ian McKellen, Mickey Rourke, Robert Downey Jr., Hugh Jackman, Don Cheadle, Ken Watanabe, James Franco, Michelle Pfeiffer, Terrance Howard, Jessie Eisenberg, Jeremy Renner, Will Smith, Ed Norton, Nick Nolte, Ellen Page, Eric Roberts, Emma Stone, Mark Ruffalo, Liam Neeson

That's over 50 names, and I'm sure I'm missing some. Superhero movies typically attract really amazing actors. The scripts and characters might seem silly at times, but the actors are generally pretty amazing. I think Ronda would be completely out of her element.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Chris Hensworth is a good, if not great Thor to anyone that's familiar with the material.

I won't oversell Carol. She can be kind of a meathead in her own right, but it's gonna take a little more than that to play her on-screen. Forget her acting chops. Rousey's arrogance is already s pretty poor fit.

Carol is like Starlord, her comics will have minimal bearing on how she is in the film. They'll cast someone who works for the script, not someone based on the comic-book characters personality. Because there isn't one.

Squire

Banned
Carol is like Starlord, her comics will have minimal bearing on how she is in the film. They'll cast someone who works for the script, not someone based on the comic-book characters personality. Because there isn't one.

The movie is 100% going to be deravitive of the Kelly Sue comics and onward. You're kidding yourself if you think they're doing anything else.

It'll probably resemble it's source comics more than any other Marvel movie thus far. That's what the fanbase wants, anyway. Why do you think they're under so much pressure to hire a female director?

DeathyBoy

Banned
The movie is 100% going to be deravitive of the Kelly Sue comics and onward. You're kidding yourself if you think they're doing anything else.

It'll probably resemble it's source comics more than any other Marvel movie thus far. That's what the fanbase wants, anyway. Why do you think they're under so much pressure to hire a female director?

What fanbase?

The comics barely sell. And it'll 'resemble' the same way GOTG resembled the 2008 run, loosely at best. I don't remember that version of Starlord having dance-off's and carrying around a mix-tape.

Squire

Banned
What fanbase?

The comics barely sell. And it'll 'resemble' the same way GOTG resembled the 2008 run, loosely at best. I don't remember that version of Starlord having dance-off's and carrying around a mix-tape.

They're selling enough to keep them going and make a movie based on the character though???

atr0cious

Even if you want to argue that Rock and Hemsworth are mediocre to bad actors, Rousey is even a level below that. She's not an actress at all. She has zero skill in that department.
I feel sorry for Hemsworth in all this. He gets type casted, but he acts the shit out of A Perfect Getaway. He's almost unrecognizable in it. He just needs good direction which is not what Disney/marvel are currently invested in.

Frog-fu

Banned
How about Marvel cast a younger and lesser known actress instead like they're doing with Spidey? Almost all of the big name actresses suggested thus far don't strike me as being likely to be interested in signing 6 movie deals with Marvel to play a superhero.

DeathyBoy

Banned
They're selling enough to keep them going and make a movie based on the character though???

It's small by comic-book figures, but they have an ulterior motive for publishing them. While they publish Captain Marvel comics, they keep the rights to that name and stop DC from using it for Billy Batson. Hence how many God-awful 'post-death' comics about Mar-vell were created.

At any rate, the current run only works with the characters established history. Which the MCU won't be using. Best we'll get is a loose adaptation like Iron Man 2 was of Demon In The Bottle.

I feel sorry for Hemsworth in all this. He gets type casted, but he acts the shit out of A Perfect Getaway. He's almost unrecognizable in it. He just needs good direction which is not what Disney/marvel are currently invested in.

I feel like you're overrating his importance in A Perfect Getaway. There are 4 characters that matter in that movie, his a fall guy early on.

atr0cious

I feel like you're overrating his importance in A Perfect Getaway. There are 4 characters that matter in that movie, his a fall guy early on.
No, he was imposing, and you believed he was the fall guy simply because of his presence, along with great direction. That's great acting, especially when you can make yourself know in so little time.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
People laughing at Ronda's acting ability in a lead as though Chris Hemsworth is out there winning Oscars.

He's Daniel Day Lewis compared to Ronda.

I wouldn't mind seeing this because Carol is a lame character and this would be entertaining in a trainwreck sort of way but no way should this actually happen.

I'll watch her fight..I enjoy it. I will not watch her "acting" anymore..there's no enjoying that. Enjoy that about as much as broken glass shoved in my ass. In case it isn't clear, I would not enjoy that..

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Are you saying Leonardo DiCaprio can't act?

Stop using Oscars as a measuring stick for acting chops, they're are a circlejerk award. Chris Hemsworth is amazing as Thor and he did a banging job in Rush. I haven't seen any of his other work, so I can judge him on that.
Rousey on the other hand had one scene in Furious 7, and she botched it. Michelle Rodriguez might've been playing that scene with Pinochio and it would've been an upgrade. Let's not get started on her acting in Expendables 3, because you know you're introuble when you get out-acted by Dolph Lundgren and Randy Couture, and all you have to do is basically play yourself. Hell, she literally played herself in Entourage and it was flat.

No, Rousey should not be Cpt Marvel. There's a whole line of actual actresses who CAN act and are willing to go through months of martial arts training to get up to the physical snuff needed for the role.

Nafai1123

Banned
ITT: People don't realize that there are different levels of acting and more importantly, different levels of poor acting.

Rousey is shit tier typically assigned to direct to YouTube crowd sourced schlock that people don't even bother watching in their free time because they would rather be watching cat videos.

And I say that as a Rousey fan.

BigDug13

One thing you can say about Rousey is that she's a hard worker. If she's serious about acting, she needs to devote some real work into being better at the craft because right now she's garbage. But I think if she chooses to work at it, she can be just fine.

she could play a similar supporting brute role as Bautista did as Drax.

Not carry a solo movie about one of the more integral characters of the MCU :D

DeathyBoy

Banned
Expendables 3 was garbage top to bottom. Antonio had to go full Banderas to get anything out of that film. Not really fair to judge Rousey on that piece of shit.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Why would they care what the comic fanbase wants? That hasnt mattered at all before, or else pym would be involved with ultron

Blunt or Theron are the best choices easy. Who knows if either of them wants to do it but they should be given offers at least.

it doesn't take much chops to become one of these heroes but ronda rousey lacks any amount of talent on screen tbh. it would be awful.

Monocle

His acting is nothing special, but it's never distractingly wooden either. He can play a solid part. His stiffness is actually an asset when he's Thor, because he still knows how to deliver a damn line. Rousey's acting is distracting as hell, consistently. Total amateur hour crap. There's no comparing the two.

It's hilarious that this is even a conversation. This will be Marvel Studio's first major film with a female superhero as the lead. There is simply NO WAY that they will do anything other than either headhunt A-list talent or scour Hollywood finding the perfect match for the script a la Chris Pratt. Or both, if they can pull it off. From a purely business perspective, it would be nuts to do anything else. If you want to spitball "what if" scenarios, that's a lot of fun, but nobody could really consider hiring Rousey for the role without ignoring the business side of the film industry entirely. Or the creative side, for that matter.

If it's just all fun and games though, carry on.

It's hilarious that this is even a conversation. This will be Marvel Studio's first major film with a female superhero as the lead. There is simply NO WAY that they will do anything other than either headhunt A-list talent or scour Hollywood finding the perfect match for the script a la Chris Pratt. Or both, if they can pull it off. From a purely business perspective, it would be nuts to do anything else. If you want to spitball "what if" scenarios, that's a lot of fun, but nobody could really consider hiring Rousey for the role without ignoring the business side of the film industry entirely. Or the creative side, for that matter.

If it's just all fun and games though, carry on.

Pretty much this.

No big name, no film.

DocSeuss

You just said you're fine with Rousey and then declared an actual actor a terrible actress?

Oooook.

Yeah, I hate Sackhoff's acting. Don't know why. It's not like Rousey's going to win any oscars any time soon, but I enjoy her on screen. I do not enjoy Sackhoff on screen.

Monocle

Expendables 3 was garbage top to bottom. Antonio had to go full Banderas to get anything out of that film. Not really fair to judge Rousey on that piece of shit.
A movie's overall quality doesn't necessarily interfere with an actor's skills. Sometimes it does, but not always. Rousey has had enough roles to show a clear pattern of terrible acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom