• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: The Marvels (2023)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
E6P48aj.jpg

MVnhwbX.png

xmuQuog.png

Here’s something we don’t see often: opening projections plummeting for a Marvel Studios movie.

Its latest sequel to 2019’s Captain Marvel, The Marvels, which is also an extension of the Disney+ series WandaVision and Ms. Marvel, has seen its weekend forecast collapse from $75M-$80M three weeks ago to around $60M stateside. Some tracking services, such as Quorum, have lowered their estimates to $50M+. The Marvels opens this Friday.

idzGwFA.gif

Last edited:

Shouta

This is gonna be a trashfire but I wanna see how big and stinky of a trashfire it'll be. So I'm going to see it when I'm over being sick.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
when critics praise something gaf: yeah this must be trash
when critics hate something gaf: yeah this must be great
when critics hate something woke/feminist gaf: yeah tthis must be trash

Make up your minds. Not defending this shit but just sayin. Make your own opinions about movies/games not what some hippie fat woman says so on the internet.

peish

trailers looked so generic MCU, pewpewpew CGI armies, CGI space beam from above, witty quippy heroes, power levels all over the place, villian wasted, and now they add nostalgia hooks post credit scene.

wipeout364

t would be nice if this was the end of the MCU but they will keep flogging it. It's time for a reboot and a new creative team. The interconnected movies were novel but now its caused them to become hamstrung, its time to reset and bring back the pillars of the MCU. No one cares about Ms Marvel or captain marvel, not even comic fans and that's saying something.

this movie will bomb and lose money.

Disney doesn't take 100% of the box office figures. Usually half of that goes to theaters. Then there's marketing expenses which is not counted as part of production cost. So if Disney claims they spent 300m on this, it excludes stuff like marketing (which is usually another $100M). So roughly speaking, a movie would have to make $800M to break even.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The writer/director, Nia DaCosta's, previous projects:

czZ7xHq.png

Her two features have a 5.9 and 6.2 on imdb. So she was definitely ready for a $270 million blockbuster...
Who in the hell hands the reigns for a multimillion dolla Marvel movie to someone with resume? I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous management decisions, that latest South Park episode is so bang on the money

tkscz

czZ7xHq.png

Her two features have a 5.9 and 6.2 on imdb. So she was definitely ready for a $270 million blockbuster...
She left the movie THE MOMENT they finished. Not even showing up to the premier.

Who in the hell hands the reigns for a multimillion dolla Marvel movie to someone with resume? I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous management decisions, that latest South Park episode is so bang on the money

They did this with Eternals as well. The director there only did like two documentaries and clearly wanted to make a Justice League movie.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
this movie will bomb and lose money.

Disney doesn't take 100% of the box office figures. Usually half of that goes to theaters. Then there's marketing expenses which is not counted as part of production cost. So if Disney claims they spent 300m on this, it excludes stuff like marketing (which is usually another $100M). So roughly speaking, a movie would have to make $800M to break even.
Wish is going bomb to. It just not interesting.. no one can really say it is because of "woke" either .... these movies are just bad. Maybe wokeness behind the scenes like " An all girl movie HAS TO HAVE a woman director! " type on nonsense...

NickFire

when critics praise something gaf: yeah this must be trash
when critics hate something gaf: yeah this must be great
when critics hate something woke/feminist gaf: yeah tthis must be trash

Make up your minds. Not defending this shit but just sayin. Make your own opinions about movies/games not what some hippie fat woman says so on the internet.
You really don't see the consistency? It's kind of right there and obvious.

Hint: When even the woke critics don't like pandering, everyone agrees the pandering sucks.

Last edited:

czZ7xHq.png

I still can't believe Candyman got good critic reviews. It's like they were afraid to criticize the movie because it leaned so hard on racism. It was an awful movie. Good thing IMDb users are more honest when it comes to movie reviews (though it deserves lower than a 5.9 IMO).

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm going to go see it tomorrow. I'm curious to see what a 250 million dollar train wreck looks like. Also curious how it will compare to Eternals which I think is the worst Marvel movie up to this point.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So far I have skipped

Ant Man 2
Ant Man 3
Guardians 3
The Eternals
Shang Chi
Black Panther 2

not sure if I will skip this if the fight scenes are good; might buy a cheap matinee. But definitely not a must-see. I thought the first Captain Marvel was a perfectly acceptable kids movie, nothin particularly bad or good about it.

Dural

Wish is going bomb to. It just not interesting.. no one can really say it is because of "woke" either .... these movies are just bad. Maybe wokeness behind the scenes like " An all girl movie HAS TO HAVE a woman director! " type on nonsense...

Yeah, Wish is looking really bad. The animation is really off putting for me and the story sounds like shit, and this is their big 100 year anniversary release. I'm sure I'll see it as I'm a pretty huge Disney fan, but their output of late has just been horrible. Getting rid of Lasseter has cursed them, and rightfully so as his firing was complete BS. Hopefully Peltz will be able to get a couple seats at the board with the addition of Perlmutter's stock and help right the ship.

Toons

I've never used RT as a Guage to decide if I will like a movie or not.

But it seems that critics have ended their graceful period with the MCU where once they were quite forgiving, now they are a lot more scrutinizing. That's fine, and fair.

I'll see for myself to judge if I like it or not as always. Im hearing the action sequences are good which is fun.

A certain subset of the internet has been brigading this movies arrival for about 8 years now, attaching Carol to every single marvel controversy whether or not it actually had to do with her(shoving her into thumbnails and such) it would be interesting to see if they've actually managed to catch on with the mainstream with this one.

Toons

Or the movies used to be good and now they’re bad.

If you look at the actual movies, I wouldn't find that to be the case.

Thor the dark work and iron man 2 is rated higher than quantumania, and I wouldn't say either of those movies are better than the latter.

Guardians 3, which is one of their more prominent recent wins, recieved a significantly lower "score" than, say thir ragnarok, which i wouldn't say is a better movie. Critics also praised She Hulk on RT, which while I didnt hate, wouldn't but it super hugh above several things it rated better than like Iron man 3 or black widow.

RT is a concensus, and the consensus on the movies have shifted from the critics angle, not just individual opinions. But as I said, I don't use critics to guage whether I like a movie. I've disagresd with them heavily on a lot of things and I've seen the divide between their perspective and the audiences. Once of my favorite movies in 2021 the green knight got dismissed by audiences while critics loved it for example. Many here strongly disagree with the score on RT for the last jedi as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom