• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: The Marvels (2023)

Do you know who's fault is this?

Jimmy Fallon Pca GIF by E!

You all should go to the cinemas to watch this movie, place it on a pedestal, and make Disney richer... It is not Disney's fault but everyone else...

Eric Cartman Lol GIF by South Park

/S

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont watch most superhero movies, but I watch my share of Batman, Superman and a handful of Avengers movies.

Never mind how so many of the are getting mediocre reviews. I'm just surprised (in terms of budget, time and concurrent projects) that so many fucking super hero movies can come out seemingly every two months.

Are even hardcore comic book lovers of Marvel and DC characters able to keep track of all the movies and TV shows?

when critics praise something gaf: yeah this must be trash
when critics hate something gaf: yeah this must be great
when critics hate something woke/feminist gaf: yeah tthis must be trash

Make up your minds. Not defending this shit but just sayin. Make your own opinions about movies/games not what some hippie fat woman says so on the internet.

b-but... what if I like em thicc?

Fbh

I don’t get rotten tomatoes system. Reviews that seem mostly negative get a fresh review?

As far as I know while some reviewers get to decide on their own if their review is "fresh" or "rotten", for most of them it's someone from the RT staff who decides.

I think if a reviewer disagrees with the rating (fresh/rotten) given to their review they can request it to be changed.

Keep in mind that fresh only means the review is "more positive than negative", so a slightly positive "meh" would still be considered fresh

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wow, if this really does tank like it might Disney/Marvel/LucasArts/Pixar is really gonna have to rethink their overall film strategy because they have been whiffing at the plate A LOT. Wish looks like it may do well but it was like $200 mill to make, I don't think it is gonna do gangbusters.

Either Disney has been laundering money through their film budgets or they have just gone BANANAS and really need to cut costs. I have some ideas on how they could recapture that core faithful audience they took for granted, we'll see if they are interested.

AmuroChan

Sure, but I'd argue the reverse is just as true. With the discourse around Captain Marvel, this is a movie where certain people had their minds made up before scripts were written, scenes were shot, and it was nothing but a title.

Yes, but those people are likely not writing for entertainment outlets and magazines that are verified RT top critics. That industry leans overwhelmingly one way politically. The reverse opinions you're referencing will be more represented in the audience score.

Salz01

I wish Elon Musk would buy Disney. And then just fire everybody. Start over. Then sell it to Apple. Disney movies are in such a shit streak. I don’t think they’ll ,ever get out of it.

Nydius

I'd rather watch a 90 minute Marvel movie based solely on the Flerken than see either Captain Marvel or Ms Marvel again. Funny thing is, I didn't really mind the Ms Marvel show because it was a bit of a break from the typical MCU seriousness. It worked decently as an awkward coming-of-age (and powers) story but that character just does not translate well to feature-film worthy levels.

The MCU is falling into the same trap that made me lose interest in Marvel Comics back in my late teens: Having to consume a whole bunch of other, lesser quality, products just to understand the plot of another. I don't want to have to watch a bunch of poorly crafted TV shows (or read less popular comics) just to understand the plot of the movie (or comic) I actually want to see (read). I haven't watched Secret Invasion, nor do I care to. I barely made it through WandaViision and Ms Marvel, the former I only managed to get through because my wife was invested.

Expecting viewers to do a couple dozen hours of pre-viewing "homework" in order to understand a mediocre movie is ridiculous.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
She left the movie THE MOMENT they finished. Not even showing up to the premier.

They did this with Eternals as well. The director there only did like two documentaries and clearly wanted to make a Justice League movie.

She WAS at the premiere with Feige in Vegas

She was doing another project WHILE the movie was in post. She was there for like half of post-production.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Who in the hell hands the reigns for a multimillion dolla Marvel movie to someone with resume? I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous management decisions, that latest South Park episode is so bang on the money
She was clearly just a token director. Everyone and their mother know who made the decisions…The studio. That is also why she was hired. Unknown people are easier to control than know people.

As far as I know while some reviewers get to decide on their own if their review is "fresh" or "rotten", for most of them it's someone from the RT staff who decides.

I think if a reviewer disagrees with the rating (fresh/rotten) given to their review they can request it to be changed.

Keep in mind that fresh only means the review is "more positive than negative", so a slightly positive "meh" would still be considered fresh
It's so retarded I can only assume it started as a joke back in the day. Yet now it's considered THE metric for movies. I love our culture 🤡

Fbh

It's so retarded I can only assume it started as a joke back in the day. Yet now it's considered THE metric for movies. I love our culture 🤡

On its own I don't think it's that bad as long as you know what it is: A tool to know what percentage of reviewers gave a mid to positive review to a a movie.

But a ton of people I've talked to don't even seem to know how it works beyond "high percentage = good". Most don't seem to get that a movie that got a 6/10 by 100 reviewers would score higher than a movie that got a 10/10 by 90 reviewers and a 5/10 by 10 reviewers.

DKehoe

On its own I don't think it's that bad as long as you know what it is: A tool to know what percentage of reviewers gave a mid to positive review to a a movie.

But a ton of people I've talked to don't even seem to know how it works beyond "high percentage = good". Most don't seem to get that a movie that got a 6/10 by 100 reviewers would score higher than a movie that got a 10/10 by 90 reviewers and a 5/10 by 10 reviewers.
Yeh Rotten Tomatoes can be handy for getting a quick snapshot of how a film has been received. Like I might see something I hadn't heard of before get a great score so I look into it. But it's not a definitive be-all, end-all judgement of quality.

Reactions: Fbh

Pagusas

Elden Member
Best thing Disney could do is take a long hiatus on this stuff. They killed the MCU through lack of quality control and vision for the future (and losing all their key stars, and the pandemic, and Disney+, and just loads of bad choices). Hit the breaks. Get out of the car, turn it off, park it. Come back to it when you have a great vision thats worth making a film/series for. If no ideas come, keep it parked.

Toots

Gold Member
Has anyone watched the final trailer of this Disney trash? It's the most desperate thing I've seen a studio do in years

Makes me realize i'm extremely down for women taking over war and violence from us men.
Let women wage war against women, let them enlist and fight WWIII instead of us men.
We can all drink a cold beer enjoying the show, and maybe just design the uniforms like in lingerie football

MayauMiao

Best thing Disney could do is take a long hiatus on this stuff. They killed the MCU through lack of quality control and vision for the future (and losing all their key stars, and the pandemic, and Disney+, and just loads of bad choices). Hit the breaks. Get out of the car, turn it off, park it. Come back to it when you have a great vision thats worth making a film/series for. If no ideas come, keep it parked.
Won't make any difference if they still have DEI hired writers.

RAÏSanÏa

Has anyone watched the final trailer of this Disney trash? It's the most desperate thing I've seen a studio do in years

This trailer gives a sense of how an incursion looks and that goes with the Strange side of the MCU that interests me more.
It still didn't show much more of the world that communicates by singing 80/90s music. Bumblebee world sounded like it has potential, but probably pretty niche interest.
:messenger_musical:Turn it on, turn it up, turn me loose :messenger_musical:

Admittedly none of the main characters are particularly compelling. Kamala's story with djinn world is the most interesting to me.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Makes me realize i'm extremely down for women taking over war and violence from us men.
Let women wage war against women, let them enlist and fight WWIII instead of us men.
We can all drink a cold beer enjoying the show, and maybe just design the uniforms like in lingerie football
Somewhere out there is a tense, gripping, and fascinating alt-history story of a world where women do have control and it is loaded with cattiness, back stabbing, petty jealousy, inability to properly task manage, as they have to deal with aggressive situations with no pat easy "lets just get along" solution. If a bunch of savage women are coming over to steal your shit, you can't just talk it away, you gotta decisively resolve the situation, so how would women do it versus men? I think there are some fundamental differences for how women approach situations compared to men (who I think are better equipped to operate in a hierarchy) and it could be interesting to take it to the extreme. Most of this kind of stuff now is either women just acting like men (Joan of Arc, for example) or so contrived for a "good" outcome it isn't very realistic (the kind of "why can't the business just give all their profits to the workers and the poor?" type resolution that would lead to bankruptcy in reality).

Raven117

Somewhere out there is a tense, gripping, and fascinating alt-history story of a world where women do have control and it is loaded with cattiness, back stabbing, petty jealousy, inability to properly task manage, as they have to deal with aggressive situations with no pat easy "lets just get along" solution. If a bunch of savage women are coming over to steal your shit, you can't just talk it away, you gotta decisively resolve the situation, so how would women do it versus men? I think there are some fundamental differences for how women approach situations compared to men (who I think are better equipped to operate in a hierarchy) and it could be interesting to take it to the extreme. Most of this kind of stuff now is either women just acting like men (Joan of Arc, for example) or so contrived for a "good" outcome it isn't very realistic (the kind of "why can't the business just give all their profits to the workers and the poor?" type resolution that would lead to bankruptcy in reality).
Even more general than that...There is a tense, gripping, and fascinating exposition on what a "hero's arc" looks like for a women. (ie, Ripley, Sara Conner). To do that, however, one has to write women as women and not women as men. That takes recognizing the differences, which there are, and almost every human on the planet knows it. That's why, when we see a women following a man's "hero arc" (but without any of the vulnerabilities and weaknesses of men), it rings hollows and there is absolutely nothing compelling about that character.

The studio who can nail this in the more modern era (it was done in the past, but for many reasons, got away from), its going to make for something awesome.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bob iger working wonders. Stock up almost 10%. First time it’s broke $90 in a while.

Hes reining in all the stupid shows and wasteful costs.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So, I've never made it past Captain America and half of Iron Man.

I've tried three separate times, each time deterred by some combination of knowing that it gets so much worse and not particularly finding the merit in what's critically deemed "the good Marvel films,"

Like....I get the wide demographic net being cast, but for someone of my persuasion, it just feels like tonal whiplash. Comedic routines feel out of place amid super srs multiverse spanning danger, and serious scenes feel harshly contrasted at best, and unearned at worst.

Something isn't clicking for me. Advice?

DKehoe

I've tried three separate times, each time deterred by some combination of knowing that it gets so much worse and not particularly finding the merit in what's critically deemed "the good Marvel films,"

Like....I get the wide demographic net being cast, but for someone of my persuasion, it just feels like tonal whiplash. Comedic routines feel out of place amid super srs multiverse spanning danger, and serious scenes feel harshly contrasted at best, and unearned at worst.

If that stuff hasn't worked for you then it's probably just not for you. If you haven't enjoyed films that are in what most people would consider the better end of the MCU then it's probably not worth your time trying to force yourself through the rest. The tonal changes have been a feature of the MCU since the beginning and that whiplash has only gotten more severe with recent stuff like Thor Love & Thunder.

Last edited:

nush

Just watch the Avengers.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Watch better movies. Ever seen Goodfellas?

RAÏSanÏa

Tonally I first think of them in the same catagory as watching Gen X films like Heathers/Beetlejuice to start with and set expectations there.

If you really want to make the effort to power through a couple films and shows to catch up and maybe a glimpse of the zeitgeist -

Civil War catches up a lot from the start and blends the various movie styles and you meet characters that are carrying over. Infinity stone presence is there(Vision/Wanda) and thus Thanos in the background looming but the story is more building towards it. Thor Ragnarok, Infinity/Endgame. I liked Dr. Strange but that could have been a Spotlight(new Marvel banner).

Multiverse begins in the new phases.
As Evil Dead/Army of Darkness fan I enjoyed Dr Strange 2 directed by Raimi. For marvel it ties in multiverse with demonic worlds. The horror was well handled to keep it pg13. For shows in the new phase WandaVision and Hawkeye(as a Christmas show it might help it along for you).

Fbh

Iron Man 1 is still one of the better ones, if you can't even finish that one I think the MCU just isn't for you.
There's no big payoff either. They almost did something special with Infinity War, but then they completely missed the landing with End Game...and it only gets worse from there.

Billbofet

They could easily save $2B by not making that upcoming Star Wars trilogy with Rey as the lead. I genuinely feel it's vaporware, and they won't admit it is canceled for years similar to the doomed Rain Schwanson's trilogy.
Nobody wants it.

Neon Xenon

The initial trailer didn't make The Marvels look compelling or fun to me at all despite the silly tone, the body-swapping plot always sounded stupid, and I don't care about any of the characters. There's no way I'm spending money to watch The Marvels, but everything else around the film has been kind of fascinating to me.

The past few days have especially been entertaining, when seeing the marketing team behind this basically entering a Ohshitohfuck Panic Mode, with a desperate final trailer attempting to make the movie look dramatic, which is funnier following the Cat Poster (???) and Cat Stream (?????) days ago. And with the post-credits scene leaked (made funnier with another short trailer promoting what's next after this movie), there's very little going for it.

All of this is apparently on a budget of $270 Million. This is like a car pileup that's hard to look away from.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I know I'm in the minority again but I just got out of seeing it.

It was a really good movie. Sweet and funny with good action. It made me smile throughout!

I think some of y'all just want to hate anything from Marvel/Disney ... And others just hate Brie Larson and disparage her any chance you get. Yet some of y'all are gun shy about spending money at the theater for something you HEAR is bad.

Either way, I enjoyed it and nothing anyone says will change that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm just OVER capeshit for the sake of capeshit.

Not saying I'm never going to watch a comic book movie ever again, just that I'm not going to bother with anything that doesn't have a story or characters that appeal to me.

That final trailer for the Marvels had nothing like that to offer. It was just visual noise.

I know I'm in the minority again but I just got out of seeing it.

It was a really good movie. Sweet and funny with good action. It made me smile throughout!

I think some of y'all just want to hate anything from Marvel/Disney ... And others just hate Brie Larson and disparage her any chance you get. Yet some of y'all are gun shy about spending money at the theater for something you HEAR is bad.

Either way, I enjoyed it and nothing anyone says will change that.

Good for you man

As for me waiting for Streaming to watch it.

I haven't went to the theater at all and I'm actually enjoying it more that way

It's funny how just because a person likes a MCU film, certain people will just say that's all you watch and start to act all pretentious with their suggestions

Off topic but my Top 3 Scorsese films are

Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
Hugo

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Good for you man

As for me waiting for Streaming to watch it.

I haven't went to the theater at all and I'm actually enjoying it more that way

It's funny how just because a person likes a MCU film, certain people will just say that's all you watch and start to act all pretentious with their suggestions

Off topic but my Top 3 Scorsese films are

Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
Hugo

I finally got to watch Hugo ... You're right... Excellent film!

And I understand why many people nowadays wait for streaming... It's cheaper and you can pause and whatnot.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I’ll be sure to add this movie to the list of Disney+ movies I never end up watching. I’ve enjoyed every DC movie I’ve seen more than anything since Endgame not counting Guardians 3.

I finally got to watch Hugo ... You're right... Excellent film!

And I understand why many people nowadays wait for streaming... It's cheaper and you can pause and whatnot.

Yeah I just prefer streaming it nowadays

On the superhero side other than MCU. James Gunns DCU actually looks interesting. Hope it turns out good. Personally the only recent DC stuff I loved was The Batman, Swamp Thing and Krypton. The rest has been bad

I can't wait for The Batman 2

Last edited:
Top Bottom