• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: The Marvels (2023)

FunkMiller

Added to OP. Projections collapsing, currently set to make $50-$60 million.

A few of the more reliable guys on Box Office Theory are projecting under The Flash's 55 million - and possibly lower than 50.

shocking robin hood men in tights GIF
the matrix GIF

Last edited:

Fbh

I wonder how this will do at the box office now that they can't "force" audience to watch it by tying it to End Game.

when critics praise something gaf: yeah this must be trash
when critics hate something gaf: yeah this must be great
when critics hate something woke/feminist gaf: yeah tthis must be trash

But that sort of makes sense though.
It's a modern marvel movie so we already know it's trash. But if not even the people they so desperately try to pander to like it then it must be extraordinarily bad

Klosshufvud

Or the movies used to be good and now they’re bad.
If you go back, you'll see most of the MCU movies are shockingly bad. It was the promise of the big Thanos finale that carried them. But they really have no rewatch value today. The cinematography, action and writing in most of the movies are quite bad. Avengers 1 and 2 look like straight up home made fan films in 2023.

FunkMiller

If you go back, you'll see most of the MCU movies are shockingly bad. It was the promise of the big Thanos finale that carried them. But they really have no rewatch value today. The cinematography, action and writing in most of the movies are quite bad. Avengers 1 and 2 look like straight up home made fan films in 2023.

Sorry, but no. I did a rewatch over covid of the whole damn thing, and most of them stand up really well as movies. A couple of clunkers, and a few absolute classics, but most hit a really good standard across the board. Good characterisation, decent story telling. Who cares if some of the FX look a little dated now. Phases 1,2,3 will always be regarded as a massively successful run of movies by just about any metric.

Still all far below The Dark Knight though, obviously.

nush

Winter Solider is epic and rewatchable. Most of them are good, people didn't watch them for the universe so much in the early days.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Who in the hell hands the reigns for a multimillion dolla Marvel movie to someone with resume? I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous management decisions, that latest South Park episode is so bang on the money
They do it because 90% of the film is pre-done, all the stunts, the action, the CG is planned out and worked on YEARS in advance. The Director for these MCU films (with rare exception like Gunn and the Russos) is largely just there to check a PR box, say "action" in the talky parts, and maybe throw in a little 'twist' of their own. Real heavyweight creatives can't/won't work under MCU rules and up till fairly recently it seemed to work alright. It's just now with the overall MCU train derailing and interest waning (for various reasons) the mediocre nature of most of their output is coming through. Bree Larson is NOT a movie star. Neither is Samuel L. Jackson. They can't anchor a film themselves, much less those other actresses. Captain Marvel was a fluke riding in the Avenger's wake, I just can't believe anyone greenlit this one.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sorry, but no. I did a rewatch over covid of the whole damn thing, and most of them stand up really well as movies. A couple of clunkers, and a few absolute classics, but most hit a really good standard across the board. Good characterisation, decent story telling. Who cares if some of the FX look a little dated now. Phases 1,2,3 will always be regarded as a massively successful run of movies by just about any metric.

I disagree. Really only Iron Man 1, the Avengers, GOTG1, and Captain America films really hold up. The Thor films are kinda bad, IM2 and 3 aren't great, the Spidey films are dull, BP, CM, DS are not great. Sure, they can have fun moments and its nice to see the charismatic actors be charismatic, but the overall MCU is propped up by forward momentum without a lot of stand out performances. They retread a lot of the same themes, villains are notoriously underbaked, and the action set pieces get progressively worse outside of just seeing "wow, look at all those guys on screen!".

Its a momentous accomplishment, don't get me wrong, but even phases 1-3 are loaded with dead weight. Phase 4 has no good film to carry anything.

Trilobit

I liked the first Captain Marvel movie. It was entertaining and seeing a younger Sam Jackson was pretty cool. I have zero interest in this, I would have preferred a solo Cap Marvel movie instead. Having multiple heroes like this isn't fun unless it was originally an ensemble like GotG, or if it's an Avengers movie.

Sonik

Winter Solider is epic and rewatchable. Most of them are good, people didn't watch them for the universe so much in the early days.

Winter Soldier is the most overrated movie of the whole MCU bullshit, it was marketed as some amazing spy thriller and in reality is was usual MCU action spam with an exposition scene tucked in there. Disney marketing did miracles with that movie and Marvel fans ate it up

Most of the phase 1,2 and 3 MCU movies are average movies. Very formulaic and predictable.

I wonder how this will do at the box office now that they can't "force" audience to watch it by tying it to End Game.

But that sort of makes sense though.
It's a modern marvel movie so we already know it's trash. But if not even the people they so desperately try to pander to like it then it must be extraordinarily bad

I mean I know its shit but there were exceptions.

when critics praise something gaf: yeah this must be trash
when critics hate something gaf: yeah this must be great
when critics hate something woke/feminist gaf: yeah tthis must be trash

Make up your minds. Not defending this shit but just sayin. Make your own opinions about movies/games not what some hippie fat woman says so on the internet.
You see it now too. The shifting sand. It never stops.

305ed20089bf9c51ba1630ea71c2c74072caedb0.gif

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
That Candyman from a couple years ago was racist trash. Anti cop, anti white people, etc. Such a piece of shit.

It was incredibly disappointing. The first film was a wonderful realistic look into project life with all the nasty bits that it entails. It helped open my eyes to the suffering that was ongoing that I was unaware of at the time.

The "rebootquel" was an insulting mess that just wanted to hamfistedly deliver a racist tirade and lacked any nuance or respect.

Laieon

Yeah, phases 1-3 are incredibly fun.

Hell, so are 4-5. They're just not as competent in their storytelling.

...Batman Begins > TDK though.

Holy shit.

That’s an utter fucking disaster. Like, career ending bad for some people!

Killers at only 5 million sure is sad. Masterpiece of a film.

Last edited:

Laieon

The writer/director, Nia DaCosta's, previous projects:

czZ7xHq.png

Her two features have a 5.9 and 6.2 on imdb. So she was definitely ready for a $270 million blockbuster...

Who in the hell hands the reigns for a multimillion dolla Marvel movie to someone with resume? I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous management decisions, that latest South Park episode is so bang on the money

They once let a director who won the Academy Award for best picture and best director inject their own creative flair into a movie, it resulted in the the worst scoring MCU movie ever.

Clearly, hiring renowned directors isn't a guaranteed recipe for success either. Plenty of people had middling, average (at best) filmographies before, well, they didn't.

Craig Mazin went from Scary Movie 3 & 4 to Chernobyl and The Last of Us.
James Cameron went from Piranha II to The Terminator and Aliens.
George Miller went from Babe and Happy Feet to Fury Road (although, to be fair, he also started with Mad Max).
Adam McKay went from Anchorman to The Big Short.
Katheryn Bigelow went from b movies to The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty.

Studios look at filmographies like Nia Costa's and see a director that's competent enough to finish a movie, probably on time, and not go over budget. For something like Marvel, that's all they could really ask for when they have X amount of other movies in the pipeline. They're not looking for Christopher Colombus or Alfonso Cuaron, they want the competent studio yes man that is David Yates.

Last edited:
They once let a director who won the Academy Award for best picture and best director inject their own creative flair into a movie, it resulted in the the worst scoring MCU movie ever.

Clearly, hiring competent directors isn't a guaranteed recipe for success either. Plenty of people had middling, average (at best) filmographies before, well, they didn't.

Craig Mazin went from Scary Movie 3 & 4 to Chernobyl and The Last of Us.
James Cameron went from Piranha II to The Terminator and Aliens.
George Miller went from Babe and Happy Feet to Fury Road (although, to be fair, he also started with Mad Max).
Adam McKay went from Anchorman to The Big Short.
Katheryn Bigelow went from b movies to The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty.

Studios look at filmographies like Nia Costa's and see a director that's competent enough to finish a movie, probably on time, and not go over budget. For something like Marvel, that's all they could really ask for when they have X amount of other movies in the pipeline. They're not looking for Christopher Colombus or Alfonso Cuaron, they want the competent studio yes man that is David Yates.
Regarding the last paragraph, didn't the marvels go over budget and require a bunch of reshoots? Or am I thinking about another movie?

bitbydeath

The only interesting thing that could happen in this movie is Rogue showing up and taking her powers thus putting her into a coma. Sadly we know that isn't happening.
I would love to see a movie where most if not all of the new phase 4 characters get killed off.

Put some real stakes in the MCU and clean house!

Edit: Could even get rid of some of the old ones too.

Last edited:

Laieon

It's only as high as it is because some of the activist reviewers were going to give this movie a positive review no matter what.

Sure, but I'd argue the reverse is just as true. With the discourse around Captain Marvel, this is a movie where certain people had their minds made up before scripts were written, scenes were shot, and it was nothing but a title.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sure, but I'd argue the reverse is just as true. With the discourse around Captain Marvel, this is a movie where certain people had their minds made up before scripts were written, scenes were shot, and it was nothing but a title.
I don't think that's true at all. The negativity surrounding captain marvel pre release was due to its star being who she is.

Top Bottom