• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: The Marvels (2023)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I saw it yesterday to see how bad she was, plus I had a day off....
It's not as bad as Eternals but it is a bad movie, and in fact I didn't understand it at all, I fell asleep for about 20 minutes or more while her were talking.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I saw it yesterday to see how bad she was, plus I had a day off....
It's not as bad as Eternals but it is a bad movie, and in fact I didn't understand it at all, I fell asleep for about 20 minutes or more while they were talking.
Boy do I have e a film recommendation for you!! :p
x2q9XAV.jpg

peish

The sad thing is the Marvels are least offensive in virtue signalling, it is more like a fun powerpuff girls movie, just poorly written, directed and edited for the budget

the Marvels > Ghostbuster 2016.

And the sadder thing is the woke group are blaming normal human beings for the Marvels failure, just like GB2016, you are not allowed to speak bad about these crap movies

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The sad thing is the Marvels are least offensive in virtue signalling, it is more like a fun powerpuff girls movie, just poorly written, directed and edited for the budget

And the sadder thing is the woke group are blaming normal human beings for the Marvels failure, just like GB2016, you are not allowed to speak bad about these crap movies
According to wiki, the first Captain Marvel movie made about $1.1B in box receipts.

This movie has a total production/marketing budget of $300M (give otr take). So to break even on theatre tix, they'd need about $600M.

So in terms of math at a high level, as long as The Marvels did about 50% of what Captain Marvel did, it'd breakeven. Without anyone knowing about the movie at all, I'd guess just about anyone would assume if a sequel was made that achieving 50% of the predecessor to just break even should be a slam dunk.

Crazy. The movie is on track for maybe $200M-ish theatre sales. It's at $161M globally according to Numbers.com and falling fast. So their take is $100M. Movie will lose at least $200M unless it can regain a ton back in DVD sales, streaming fees, cable tv showing fees etc....

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Honestly.... Both are terrible movies.

Billbofet

According to wiki, the first Captain Marvel movie made about $1.1B in box receipts.

This movie has a total production/marketing budget of $300M (give otr take). So to break even on theatre tix, they'd need about $600M.

So in terms of math at a high level, as long as The Marvels did about 50% of what Captain Marvel did, it'd breakeven. Without anyone knowing about the movie at all, I'd guess just about anyone would assume if a sequel was made that achieving 50% of the predecessor to just break even should be a slam dunk.

Crazy. The movie is on track for maybe $200M-ish theatre sales. It's at $161M globally according to Numbers.com and falling fast. So their take is $100M. Movie will lose at least $200M unless it can regain a ton back in DVD sales, streaming fees, cable tv showing fees etc....
I read somewhere a while back that domestic take is around 50%, international is 40%, and China is 25%. That's just a broad calc, as I'm sure it's different with each studio/release, but imagine losing this much money for your company! And several times in one year.......

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I know a lot of people blame Iger for the state of Marvel today (and he bears SOME responsibility) but Chapek really screwed up by taking oversight away from the same creatives that brought them billions ... COVID was a problem too but Chapek still is not off the hook.

John Campea explains it better than I can right now.

I know a lot of people blame Iger for the state of Marvel today (and he bears SOME responsibility) but Chapek really screwed up by taking oversight away from the same creatives that brought them billions ... COVID was a problem too but Chapek still is not off the hook.

John Campea explains it better than I can right now.

It’s not all Chapek. He was at Disney for less than 3 years. Bob Iger is at fault too as Phase 4 started under his supervision, as did the Marvel TV shows.

Jinzo Prime

Is there any truth to the silver surfer rumor? If so, I’m done with them forever. He is literally my favorite marvel character so it will piss me off.
I hadn't heard of the rumor so I looked it up: According to Jeff Sneider, Silver Surfer will be gender swapped to a woman. Source

Unfortunately, Jeff Sneider has a good rep as a Hollywood leaker, so it's probable.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I hadn't heard of the rumor so I looked it up: According to Jeff Sneider, Silver Surfer will be gender swapped to a woman. Source

Unfortunately, Jeff Sneider has a good rep as a Hollywood leaker, so it's probable.

I think this is who is actually the one they're doing... Not a gender swapped Silver Surfer:

I think this is who is actually the one they're doing... Not a gender swapped Silver Surfer:

It would be interesting if she was actually cast as Sue Storm. She would be a good choice. Looks the part

Not gonna be happy if she's Silver Surfer

Disney like 99% of these companies like WB haven't learned a thing I bet. They are just gonna to double down

As South Park says make the character a female and make her gay

Last edited:

Billbofet

I love Silver Surfer but feel it is a 2nd tier character in that most normies are not passionate about. If they gender swap that will be a terrible idea and it would likely fail. Marvel lately seems to cast who is popular vs. who is right for the role. This is bummer news if true. Hopefully losing hundreds of millions this phase will make them rethink and not triple down on making movies for an audience that doesn't want them vs. the fans that do.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Jeff Sneider didn't know Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch were Magneto's kids. He doesn't know anything about comics or the characters. He heard she was playing a villain and immediately claimed it was Silver Surfer. She fits Frankie Raye much better, and it's the sort of thing they'll do in a movie. Johnny starts dating her, then in the 2nd act she's revealed to be the Herald of Galactus.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It tanked

GodDAMN, this year has been BRUTAL for Disney, just catastrophic. There just MUST be something funny going on with their listed budgets, all of their films I've seen have 200+ mill budgets but don't look it at all. How the hell did Indy end up at 300 million? My wife took my daughter to see Wish and.....they haven't mentioned it AT ALL since. It must be totally mediocre. Her sisters saw the Hunger Games and can't stop yapping about it. I just can't see Disney movies keeping more than a fraction of the execs that green lit this stuff and no doubt production is gonna grind to a halt since they made no money to pay for future films. Even the ESG score for cheap loans from Blackrock has got to be coming up short.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was a hit. Not sure if it was the ONLY hit for Disney this year but it was the only financial hit for Marvel at the box office.

Billbofet

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was a hit. Not sure if it was the ONLY hit for Disney this year but it was the only financial hit for Marvel at the box office.
Yeah, it's their one hit this year, and it is a pretty good movie. Sucks that the guy responsible is now over at DC though.
Plus, GotG 3 was not a massive hit, and they had several nuclear bombs this year (Indy, Marvels, Haunted Mansion, Wish). Little Mermaid probably lost money, and they keep holding Elemental up as a hit, but it probably broke even after all is said and done.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've never watched any GoG movies. But they seem to be well reviewed by critics and people and make tons of money.

To me on the surface, they just look like crazy action superhero movies complete with tree dude and a raccoon.

Anyone care to give me the gist why these movies seem so much better? Plot? Chris Pratt? No woke? People love the machinegun raccoon.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I've never watched any GoG movies. But they seem to be well reviewed by critics and people and make tons of money.

To me on the surface, they just look like crazy action superhero movies complete with tree dude and a raccoon.

Anyone care to give me the gist why these movies seem so much better? Plot? Chris Pratt? No woke? People love the machinegun raccoon.

They just have fun, and all the characters are fun. But what GoG did was give Marvel the blueprint for all future movies. And they have worn that out. But the idea of Humor, action and not taking yourself too seriously started with GoG.

Before that the marvel films are very self serious and everything is important and dire. The next movies that went into production after GoG they all added a lot of levity.

GoG has good characters, all developed well and all given good stories that highlight each of the characters. It was the perfect example of how to take unknown characters and introduce them to an established franchise.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

It's the characters and the writing. James Gunn is a writer first but equally a director. That's why his movies seem coherent in plot and characterization. I don't know if they're "woke" but they're hecka entertaining!

Remember, this is ME saying I don't know if they're "woke" because that word has lost all meaning to me. Everything is "woke" now and everyone hates everything and calls it "woke".

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
They're not, gotg butchered a lot of great characters, but they do the "funny quippy" thing and were the first venture into marvel cosmic, which has pretty much all of marvel's better stories, so it allowed them to do things that are more out there and fantastical, and on bigger scales/higher stakes; this draws in a whole extra subset of viewers, because on the surface it's completely detached from terrestrial marvel and you can kinda enjoy them as standalone sci-fi/starwars-y movies.

The GotG videogame is closer to how the characters should be since they lean more towards their comic counterparts with only some influences from the movies. But even there a bunch of characters get butchered.

GymWolf

thor-is-it-though-is-it-though.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member

They are proper ensemble films with nuanced characters what work well off each other. The emotional beats of each film works pretty well (I'd say Starlord's paternal issues in GOTG2 is the low point). They are FUN. The space setting allows for more wackiness whilst keeping it easy to suspend disbelief. They are also largely disconnected from the MCU meta-plot, Gamora's issues aside, so they make for a nice trilogy you don't need 30 other films for "context". GOTG3 suffers the most for this, naturally, but the Rocket stuff makes up for it in spades.

Ownage

Rumor has it Brie Larson was fired recently from MCU.

Believe it or not, but CDAN is way more correct than wrong.

jason10mm

Gold Member

All they gotta do is hire Katie Sackoff, like they shoulda, and Captain Marvel is back on track.

Saber

Gold Member

Hope is true. Find her really bad as both a character and actress. Theres also the rumors that the other actors/actress find her unbearable.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Are they really going to cast LIzzo as Silver Surfer?
I can't imagine that would be a good idea. Even fat people don't like her anymore.

No. That's nowhere near true

And those fat people were mad at her for trying to get healthy and lose some weight. There was a whole thing about it last year

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
No. That's nowhere near true

And those fat people were mad at her for trying to get healthy and lose some weight. There was a whole thing about it last year
I think it was more than that. Didn't she sexually harass her backup dancers as well? Something about taking them to a sex club?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think it was more than that. Didn't she sexually harass her backup dancers as well? Something about taking them to a sex club?

That was earlier this year. Quieted down after a month. Something about one of them being too fat or too skinny. I can't remember. And something about putting one of their hands on a dancer's naked titty.

Top Bottom