• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTings burn in test shows QD-OLEDs are actually more prone to burn in than W-OLED

Thebonehead

Banned
Ashton Kutcher Burn GIF

dotnotbot

OP forgot to add the most important part: white seems to be more prone to burn-in. Shouldn't me prone to burn-in on varied content.

Pretty bad results so far for Sony OLEDs and Samsung QD-OLED panels in general:
- white burns-in faster on QD-OLED panels than on LG WOLED panels (both Sony and Samsung QD-OLED TVs seemed to suffer more or less equally bad from a CNN test)
- Sony OLED burned-in faster than LG OLED, both models using LG WOLED panel (they compared 48" LG C1 against 42" Sony A90K, both are using LG WOLED panels, video says A90K is QD-OLED but that's a mistake)

mq8wnto.png

Shame they didn't compare the exact same size though.

We knew from HDTVTest reviews that LG clears out temporary retention faster than Sony but now we kinda have proof that this may also lead to faster burn in. Still needs more testing though as panel variation might also be important here.

Last edited:

MikeM

Still rocking my plasma. Led and motion aren't anywhere near plasma. Hell oled isn't either.

Subfield on plasma was something like 600hz wasn't it.

I know moving from Plasma to Oled I thought Oled has smashed Plasma completely out of the park in all areas...

.. and then I sat down to watch a football match
Its why I still have my Panasonic ST50 as my main floor TV. Old but damn does it still slap. Keeping her until she dies.

I regret selling my VT50 I had prior. Should have kept that too.

dotnotbot

There was that one or two gaffers who said this was a myth and almost impossible to happen. Wonder where those idiots are.
But some OLED prophets for the past years were telling me that' I'm mistaken and lying that OLED is no longer susceptible to burn in!!! Who lied then, WHO?

It's not impossible but what you're seeing here are accelerated results. Unless you're watching CNN 24/7 you're safe. Also if those "idiots" meant LG only then they were pretty much right, here's C2 after 2 months/1200 hours, still no burn-in:
50-gray-02-small.jpg

Last edited:

Bojji

this is why i game on VA panel monitor.

Jimmy Fallon Flirt GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Enjoy black smearing:

I always thought WOLED would be better than QD-OLED thanks to not having to go as bright thanks to white sub pixel and I was partialy right (white color is the culprit when all sub pixels have to turn on on QD), LG also has much longer experience with OLED tech. I'm glad I went with WOLED but that was mostly thanks to limited budget than longevity worries (and I don't like Samsung) LOL.

Quasicat

I was looking at upgrading, but my IPS screen is really nice during the day with a lot of light and it turned me off when I was at a friend’s house and the car from F-Zero was burned into the lower part of his W-OLED screen. He told me that it had been there for a few weeks; It didn’t bother him, but it drove me crazy.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Im not rich enough to replace my TV every year. If the OLEDs premium price doesnt last me at least 4 years then it can fuck off.

2 months, 1200 hours, continuosly displaying CNN, still no burn-in on LG. You're not gonna need to change it every year LOL:

C1:
50-gray-02-small.jpg

C2:
50-gray-02-small.jpg

CX:

50-gray-02-small.jpg

G1:
50-gray-02-small.jpg

G2:
50-gray-02-small.jpg

Last edited:

Bojji

Samsung G7 and G8 sitting there wondering what you talking about.

The Samsung Odyssey G7 has an excellent response time at its max refresh rate of 240Hz. Motion looks very smooth, and there's almost no blur. However, it has a slow response time in dark scenes, as seen in the 0-20% total response time, which causes some artifacts, known as black smearing.

2 months, 1200 hours, continuosly displaying CNN, still no burn-in on LG. You're not gonna need to change it every year LOL:

C1:
50-gray-02-small.jpg

C2:
50-gray-02-small.jpg

CX:

50-gray-02-small.jpg

G1:
50-gray-02-small.jpg

G2:
50-gray-02-small.jpg

Not all models are born equally. Its a serious issue. Ill pass for now.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Samsung G7 and G8 sitting there wondering what you talking about.

Are those the monitors with the horrible banding issue, or ive forgotten what its called. I had to return a G7 because there was every other line was like messed up. It sucked so bad as I wanted to love the monitor.

I have a pic somewhere, as soon as I sent it Samsung were just like...we will give you a refund, every one of our panels does this.

Hugs my LG CX and C2. Ive had absolutely no issues with my 65 and 42 inch respectively. Beautiful TVs

Last edited:
Oled will end up hanging out with plasma in the retirement home in a few years when mini-led becomes standard and improves.
Even the best mini-leds cant control it's brighitness with each individual pixel, so blooming is a real problem. TV manufacturers would chave to invent something to control light output in each pixel on LCD panel, and the last atempt (crystal led) has failed.

The latest QN90C 55 with 504 local dimming zones still is far from good.

btp2etni7b6d6PF4ZU1r8uqTcWr55fBE8dv156szulIwHPvX2jall5QCgUXwYte6pJJ-AlYsJc7X=s640-c-fcrop64=1,20000000dfffffff-nd-v1

2'nd generation QD-OLEDs are build with HyperEfficient EL material. According to samsung new QD-OLEDS are twice as reliable, so OLEDs reliability is getting better and better. At some point, the burn-in of OLEDs will no longer be an issue, while LCD will probably never offer the ability to control light output on a per-pixel basis, so LCD image quality will probably never match that of OLED.

S8nJw4P.jpg

Last edited:

phant0m

Its why I still have my Panasonic ST50 as my main floor TV. Old but damn does it still slap. Keeping her until she dies.

I regret selling my VT50 I had prior. Should have kept that too.
I just replaced my UT50 last week with an LG OLED. Yeah, motion isn’t a nice but actual 4K + HDR is a nice upgrade. I think the blacks may actually be better too.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Even the best mini-leds cant control it's brighitness with each individual pixel. TV manufacturers would chave to invent something to control light output in each pixel.

QN90C 55

btp2etni7b6d6PF4ZU1r8uqTcWr55fBE8dv156szulIwHPvX2jall5QCgUXwYte6pJJ-AlYsJc7X=s640-c-fcrop64=1,20000000dfffffff-nd-v1

2'nd generation QD-OLEDs are build with HyperEfficient EL material. According to samsung new QD-OLEDS are twice as reliable.

S8nJw4P.jpg
It’s inevitable that burnin prone tech will fade away.. literally. 😱

Schmendrick

Oled will end up hanging out with plasma in the retirement home in a few years when mini-led becomes standard and improves.
lol, no.

Nothing beats per pixel control.
Micro LED or similar tech will retire OLED, nothing else. Mini LED is "crap" in direct comparison, and at the point where you have enough zones to make the results equal or at least indistinguishable for the naked eye you`ve arrived in MicroLED territory.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Im not rich enough to replace my TV every year. If the OLEDs premium price doesnt last me at least 4 years then it can fuck off.
If you go out and get LG C2, you will be fine. Unless you watch something with a static interface on in same place 24x7.

Heck, people have used LG OLED for a monitor for years and they are fine.

Just need to let it run it's cleanup utilities and turn on screen saver/dimming after inactivity when you step away.

I use a 42" C2 as my gaming monitor and it's amazing. Still need to get 65" or 77" as a main TV since C2 is pretty inexpensive right now and not much worse then C3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom