• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTings burn in test shows QD-OLEDs are actually more prone to burn in than W-OLED

Chiggs

Crapsung is well known for their shitty quality.

Just check the hi fi Forums how many people have issues with deformed televisions.🤣😂

This is a tough one. On sentiment alone, I agree with you...but my experience with Samsung has largely been negative because of their LED or MINI-LED technology. At one point, I went through 6 of their sets before calling it quits with that model. Dirty screen, dead pixels, creaks from the casing. You name it.

On the other hand, my Samsung S95B has some of the best panel uniformity I've ever seen. The question becomes...how long will this unit last me?

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Imagine not gaming on an LCD in 2023. Some people just love burned in panels.
Imagine you unpack your LCD (or common LED) TV and immediately have wonderful clouding or blooming, which visually spoils games like Dead Space or Resident Evil, especially during nightly gaming sessions.

Face it: No TV is perfect, every technology has its strengths and weaknesses. I had LCDs and LEDs for years until I couldn't stand the horrible blooming (and Samsung's outrageously crappy customer service) anymore. I then switched to LG's OLED and couldn't be happier. And if you have enough variety in your gaming choices and don't crank all the settings to excessive levels, burn-in is a minimal risk these days.

Imtjnotu

This is a tough one. On sentiment alone, I agree with you...but my experience with Samsung has largely been negative because of their LED or MINI-LED technology. At one point, I went through 6 of their sets before calling it quits with that model. Dirty screen, dead pixels, creaks from the casing. You name it.

On the other hand, my Samsung S95B has some of the best panel uniformity I've ever seen. The question becomes...how long will this unit last me?
With no heatsink and some of the worst ABL. You'll get a new one one next year lol

Soosa

Banned
Still rocking my plasma. Led and motion aren't anywhere near plasma. Hell oled isn't either.
I hated plasma, the picture just looks "buzzing" like pixels are shaking/waving etc. Not everyone sees it, but to me plasma screens looked too restless.

Oled looks great, still no burn in in my sony 2020 oled with 7000h of gaming and cable with no limits of what I watch for how long.

I dont care about sports so maybe oled isnt perfect for that

Banned
I hated plasma, the picture just looks "buzzing" like pixels are shaking/waving etc. Not everyone sees it, but to me plasma screens looked too restless.

Oled looks great, still no burn in in my sony 2020 oled with 7000h of gaming and cable with no limits of what I watch for how long.

I dont care about sports so maybe oled isnt perfect for that

all the plasmas I've seen in person also always had a super obvious pixel grid, which lead to an equally obvious screendoor effect across the screen.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well I don't get the Samsung hate myself, yes I am disappointed it doesn't support Dolby Vision, but I don't really mind I guess. At the time I was in the market RTINGS reviewed the Samsung Q90T as having the best HDR on the market which is mainly what tipped me to go with it. I was upgrading from a Pioneer Kuro Elite? Plasma, and it was/is a huge upgrade for me still. Everything about the Samsung is so much better, the clarity, the blacks, the HDR, I don't miss the old TV one bit, and I'm actually really happy with the one I have now. They revisited their review a few times, but it's still rated very well, and does 120Hz VRR and is rated extremely high as a PC monitor as well with 4:4:4 and great response times, so it'll be fairly future proof for me. I don't really see the PS6 or the PS7 breaking past 120fps 4k to be honest, and from my viewing distance 4k is minimal gains anyway, so 8k is just silly for me, unless I went to super large screen of ~85".

I don't expect I'll ever see burn in based on my usage (it's seldomly used for TV and I don't game for 10 hours in a row or anything, at worst it's displaying a Google photos type Shield TV Pro screen saver when it'd idling), and it'll likely last me until I feel like replacing it, which I can't really image would be anytime soon.

Banned
Well I don't get the Samsung hate myself, yes I am disappointed it doesn't support Dolby Vision, but I don't really mind I guess. At the time I was in the market RTINGS reviewed the Samsung Q90T as having the best HDR on the market which is mainly what tipped me to go with it. I was upgrading from a Pioneer Kuro Elite? Plasma, and it was/is a huge upgrade for me still. Everything about the Samsung is so much better, the clarity, the blacks, the HDR, I don't miss the old TV one bit, and I'm actually really happy with the one I have now. They revisited their review a few times, but it's still rated very well, and does 120Hz VRR and is rated extremely high as a PC monitor as well with 4:4:4 and great response times, so it'll be fairly future proof for me. I don't really see the PS6 or the PS7 breaking past 120fps 4k to be honest, and from my viewing distance 4k is minimal gains anyway, so 8k is just silly for me, unless I went to super large screen of ~85".

I don't expect I'll ever see burn in based on my usage (it's seldomly used for TV and I don't game for 10 hours in a row or anything, at worst it's displaying a Google photos type Shield TV Pro screen saver when it'd idling), and it'll likely last me until I feel like replacing it, which I can't really image would be anytime soon.

see I'm a simple man, I get Samsungs because they always have the lowest latency and latest gaming features lol.
to me everything else is just a bonus.

4.9ms/9ms latency at 120hz/60hz 🤤

and the Samsung I have before my new one had Freesnyc ultimate support and HDMI VRR support, even tho it was only an HDMI 2.0 TV.
for me that stuff is more important than anything else

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Better uniformity and lack of white subpixel overshoot is something that still makes QD-OLED much better choice than WOLED for me personally, but I'm quite autistic when it comes to those things, most people don't care that much.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
see I'm a simple man, I get Samsungs because they always have the lowest latency and latest gaming features lol.
to me everything else is just a bonus.

4.9ms/9ms latency at 120hz/60hz 🤤

and the Samsung I have before my new one had Freesnyc ultimate support and HDMI VRR support, even tho it was only an HDMI 2.0 TV.
for me that stuff is more important than anything else

Samsung's Game Motion Plus adds a lot to the TVs value especially if you play Switch games on it.

JeloSWE

I use my TV as my main work monitor and then entertainment with a lot of browsing for around 8~16h a day. There is a taskbar present 90% of the time on my screen. No OLED could avoid burning in eventually. My Sony 85" X95K miniLED is killing it. It reaches 2000 nit in HDR on a 10% window and can do BFI at 100hz and 120hz with a minimal brightness loss of only 50 nit, it's ridiculous, turning it on and off, there is almost no perceptual difference, no OLED can match this. It can also do 800 nit full screen, LOL, that is more than most OLEDs can max out on a 3~10% window. Yes there can be some minor blooming in extremely difficult HDR content, eg black screen with a super bright UI or highlight but otherwise there is almost no visible blooming in 99% of gaming and movies. I too would like to go self emissive pixels but the time has not come.

Last edited:
I shouldn't be this happy to see the OLED worshippers get their comeuppance, but I can't help it. Every tool screaming "NO BURN IN BRO THEY SOLVED IT NOT A PROBLEM ANYMORE DUDE" can sit the hell down now.

Typical Samsung to be honest. The distrust in Samsung is justified. They design for the show room. They look great compared to other TVs but then you take it home and slowly peel away the visard. I use my late gen Panasonic plasma as a measuring stick and the C1 that I have looks very similar. I bought the QD recently because I bought into the hype. I remember thinking how amazing it looked and how vibrant the colours were compared to the C1 but then I realized what was yellow on the Plasma and yellow on the C1 was orange on the QD. It looked good but it was wrong. Samsung manipulate the image to stand out so the burn in situation being the same doesn't surprise me.

Banned
I shouldn't be this happy to see the OLED worshippers get their comeuppance, but I can't help it. Every tool screaming "NO BURN IN BRO THEY SOLVED IT NOT A PROBLEM ANYMORE DUDE" can sit the hell down now.

you are aware that this is an extreme test right?
they are simulating literally the worst case scenario which is highly unrealistic.

watching CNN and only CNN for almost the entire day is not something anyone will ever do.

Minsc

Gold Member
Typical Samsung to be honest. The distrust in Samsung is justified. They design for the show room. They look great compared to other TVs but then you take it home and slowly peel away the visard. I use my late gen Panasonic plasma as a measuring stick and the C1 that I have looks very similar. I bought the QD recently because I bought into the hype. I remember thinking how amazing it looked and how vibrant the colours were compared to the C1 but then I realized what was yellow on the Plasma and yellow on the C1 was orange on the QD. It looked good but it was wrong. Samsung manipulate the image to stand out so the burn in situation being the same doesn't surprise me.
Speak for yourself, but RTings' review and based on my own eyes of my Q90T both agree it has phenomenal color accuracy. It has a 9.5/10 on RTings after calibration, and I spent hours tweaking the profiles for UHD and HD/SD content, and both look incredible to me. Nothing is off in the least. Maybe it was calibrated unfairly in the showroom, I have no clue, I used RTings and bought it based off their review, not a showroom. They actually make great displays, the smartphone I have has incredible color accuracy and looks amazing as well.

Last edited:

... or you could read the actual article and see that traditional W-OLED has held up remarkably well, to the extent that burn-in is indeed a non-issue.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

they are simulating literally the worst case scenario which is highly unrealistic.

watching CNN and only CNN for almost the entire day is not something anyone will ever do.
You are not wrong for the majority of people. But the fact remains, OLEDs are not completely burn in proof. It's important to remember that if your usage has extreme amount of static elements on screen. Also, in order to minimize the risk of burn in, OLEDs have to suffer the whole ABL/ASBL/TPC/GSR brightness limiting circus. And while people say that their OLED is plenty bright, you they don't get the same impact on high peak nit HDR content that a high end 2000~4000 nit+ LCD TVs can do. Unfortunately, most shows/movies HDR mastered today is for the masses and rarely breaks 1000 nit and mostly hovers around 200~400 nit, but when you game or watch movies such as BvS, the 4000 nit scenes are just insane on this type of LCD.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself, but RTings' review and based on my own eyes of my Q90T both agree it has phenomenal color accuracy. It has a 9.5/10 on RTings after calibration, and I spent hours tweaking the profiles for UHD and HD/SD content, and both look incredible to me. Nothing is off in the least. Maybe it was calibrated unfairly in the showroom, I have no clue, I used RTings and bought it based off their review, not a showroom. They actually make great displays, the smartphone I have has incredible color accuracy and looks amazing as well.
It's not about colour accuracy, it more about whether it is faithful to the original intent. The QD might produce a more accurate orange than my CI but its meant to be yelloe. I can even take out old my CRT and it will be yellow. If you use filmmaker mode which is supposed to be an accurate portrayal of the creator's intent then Samsung TVs look different. Some reviewers did mention this. This won't get picked up on colour accuracy readings because that's not what is being measured.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's not about colour accuracy, it more about whether it is faithful to the original intent. The QD might produce a more accurate orange than my CI but its meant to be yelloe. I can even take out old my CRT and it will be yellow. If you use filmmaker mode which is supposed to be an accurate portrayal of the creator's intent then Samsung TVs look different. Some reviewers did mention this. This won't get picked up on colour accuracy readings because that's not what is being measured.
I guess what I mean is I went through dozens of shows/movies to check skin tones/red/blues/greens etc, and tweaked it until it all looked how it should, at least according to my tastes, which well, is my goal so that's what matters. But I did use content I'm very familiar with and also tested against how it looked on an iPad Pro and my smartphone so I wasn't doing it blindly - and either way, if RTings says it scores 9.5 / 10 post calibration, "After calibration, color accuracy is exceptional" I'm pretty sure that means it's making the colors appear the colors they are supposed to, I'm not sure how something could have scored so high if it turned yellow in to orange - I'd think that would make it less accurate.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
How so? Normally you'd think it would've improved... :messenger_winking_tongue:

They've gone all in on OLED so they don't care as much about the quality of their LEDs. When the QN90A released Samsung didn't have an OLED on the market and it truly was their flagship TV for 4K. It has the most aggressive local dimming to maintain it's black levels and the produces the least bloom of all the Neo QLEDs so far. Now the QN95C this year might surpass it but the QN90C is a failure. An expensive failure.

Last edited:
When you measure colour accuracy on TVs you use a test that just flashes colours on the screen. It's not measured from a film, which is why I don't like a lot of these tests. Doesn't mean the content is necessarily accurate. The Filmaker mode is definitely not accurate. There are a couple of videos out there on it. Anyway, I use my QD for gaming as I think games look better with vibrant colours.

[Sigma]

Still rocking my plasma. Led and motion aren't anywhere near plasma. Hell oled isn't either.
Wish I had my old one. I use my Qled most of the time these days, it's not the best but ive pretty much given up on my LG C2. The motion is a let down at 60fps and gets really bad at lower framerates. I've gotten 50 hours on the tv since I bought it last November. Never buying the C series again.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

Same here, maybe the best. And the colors are really something.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Did you dabble with the C2 42" as a monitor/s replacement? That's something I'm exploring now, I know you and I have similar LG Monitor setups. I have two LG 27" on a mount on my desk but I've been thinking about getting the C2 42 as a replacement. Mainly because of the picture quality of an OLED but also for something bigger in general and ultimately to get rid of the clutter of wires with two monitors and also save some desk space.

Curious if you've tried this route already.
This is what I have on my desk and it's amazing for gaming/entertainment.

For productivity I would take an IPS personally. I have an LG UW as my second monitor because of that.

Last edited:

There are plenty of people who leave TV on all day on one channel. Or play games all day with static HUD elements.

Banned
There are plenty of people who leave TV on all day on one channel. Or play games all day with static HUD elements.

that is indeed true, but how often are these elements solid white boxes?
because bright white boxes is the issue not so much static image elements.

images in OLED do not "burn in", that is a bit of a misnomer, they wear out the subpixels unevenly. bright white elements are the issue here as they wear out all 3 subpixels at once.

and I kinda doubt that anyone plays a game 18 hours a day non-stop with a bright white static HUD element on the screen

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm rocking a vt30 in my living room and. Ut50 in my bedroom.

Let's not go too far, I had a panasonic plasma too and i loved it but my sony oled destroys it in so many ways its rediculous. Far superior blacks, contrast, punch, brightness, resolution.

OZ9000

Banned
Nah mate. MiniLEDs aren't replacing OLED. Save the thread if you want.

MicroLED will replace OLEDs.

Yeah they will but like anything there will be new technology. I love my OLED TVs but i know something will come around to replace them at some point. And right now that seems like MicroLED.

OLEDs will still be a good choice until MicroLED drops in price.
We are a decade away from microled becoming mainstream.

not upgrading my CX until they put in hardware Gsync.

Or i get bored one day and decide i need to have more debt.
Unless it breaks, I won't replace my 77CX either. Couldn't ay that for the Samsung 70"LCD I had before, it got replaced for the CX within a year, it was just a shitty TV, bad response time, horrible blacks.

Let's not go too far, I had a panasonic plasma too and i loved it but my sony oled destroys it in so many ways its rediculous. Far superior blacks, contrast, punch, brightness, resolution.
The motion isn't as good. Great for games. But 24 frame movies still feel slightly off.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Alienware QD OLED:

vC4MBXo.jpeg

G7 is top of the line VA panel and it's destroyed by OLED (and that's 175Hz compared to 240!) I quoted what they said about black smarting in G7, there is no VA panel in existence that doesn't show this "feature", that's how this technology rolls.
0 - 20 is not a metric we really need to worry about.
And please dont get me wrong, I know for gaming an OLED and/or QDOLED does the work.
But that 0 - 20% that people post makes no real sense.
You wont actually notice that shit.

And if you are on a samsung panel that does 240Hz, im gonna guess you atleast have a 3080......it will be in range of NOT seeing that black smear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom