• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTings burn in test shows QD-OLEDs are actually more prone to burn in than W-OLED

graywolf323

eh I’m still content with having gotten a 55” Samsung S95B for $900 last fall from a ridiculous open box deal at my local Best Buy

I don’t watch/play anything constantly enough that I feel I’m at risk for burn-in & I think I’m set until whatever the next great TV tech is affordable

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Didn't Linus from LTT get burn in on his LG TV? Thats with him using his OLED TV as a monitor. People have been using OLED TV's as monitors for years and unless you're careful and take precautionary measures there's still high chance of image retention. Gaming monitors are also now a thing and quite a few using Samsung panels.

That and there's several OLED monitors in the market. You can bet a lot of them will have the task bar static at the bottom and perhaps an internet browser/discord or whatever icons static on screen for hours. Which is why I haven't bought one for PC use, its way too much hassle to avoid eventual burn in.
Yeah its happening already with the Alienware monitors but maybe this guy left his running 24/7

W1zM5VK.jpg

Fbh

It's funny how OLED burn in threads and Digital Foundry threads always go the same way: Take the absolutely worst case scenario and pretend it's the norm.

Digital foundry: "The game runs at locked 60fps 99% of the time but there's one specific 4 minutes long sequence that's particularly heavy and can make it briefly drop the mid 40's"
Half the people posting: "OMG game is trash runs at 45fps"

Rtings: "We've observed that burn-in is largely no longer an issue with OLED under normal TV usage, however burn-in can still appear in our extreme test that consist of displaying nothing but CNN for 18 hours a day"
Half the people posting: "OMG you need to replace your OLED TV every year"

Do OLED monitors not come with the same preventative measures as TV's? I've been using a Philips OLED as primarily a monitor for the past 8 months without issue, but then it does have things like pixel shifting to combat retention.

It's funny how OLED burn in threads and Digital Foundry threads always go the same way: Take the absolutely worst case scenario and pretend it's the norm.

Digital foundry: "The game runs at locked 60fps 99% of the time but there's one specific 4 minutes long sequence that's particularly heavy and can make it briefly drop the mid 40's"

Rtings: "We've observed that burn-in is largely no longer an issue with OLED under normal TV usage, however burn-in can still appear in our extreme test that consist of displaying nothing but CNN for 18 hours a day"

It's just Tik-Tok level fear mongering by posters. Sure you can still get it with edge cases or if you want burn-in, but with everything manufacturers do to prevent it you'll likely not see it with general use like the old days.

emilegc

I had an LG OLED65C8PLA for over five year with daily heavy usage and had no burn in there. Just make sure you have all safety measures on and watch a variety of content.
I moved my 65C8 to the bedroom after getting a 77C1. My kids are the ones that use the C8 and literally abuse the heck out of it, and still no burn in on that one. I've had the C1 for almost 2 years now, so the C8 is still holding on without any problem, other than my kids destroying the remote a couple of times.

Puscifer

Here is a 2015 lg oled from before the even started using the letter naming system with no burn in

The majority of OLEDs are fine
The majority of LEDs are fine
Some OLEDs will fail
Some LEDS will fail

The reality is that if OLED burn in was that bad the word of mouth would've killed the tech a long time ago. And honestly I've seen more burn in on LEDS than OLEDS, sure the sample size is vastly smaller but if burn was nearly as prominent but let's say 20 per thousand LEDS burn and 5 per 100 for OLED, and even then it just doesn't seem that way.

That being said, I have LEDS and OLEDs in my house, after a while the differences really start to meld together and you don't care after the wow factor is done. It's just a screen and even now the 46 inch in my bedroom, a basic hisense just to watch cartoons and the news before bed, is where I end up watching TV the most lol.

Sleepwalker

All the screens in my house are OLED except for my double monitor setup, those are trash and only for productivity my PC is hooked up to a 48" OLED monitor for gaming.

I also have the Samsung in the video, very heavy usage since november last year, still as good as new, gaming and tv. If it burns I'll have it replaced by warranty. If it burns after the extended warranty I'll just replace it, its just a TV not a house or car.

Sleepwalker

Do OLED monitors not come with the same preventative measures as TV's? I've been using a Philips OLED as primarily a monitor for the past 8 months without issue, but then it does have things like pixel shifting to combat retention.

It's just Tik-Tok level fear mongering by posters. Sure you can still get it with edge cases or if you want burn-in, but with everything manufacturers do to prevent it you'll likely not see it with general use like the old days.
My OLED monitor has auto dimming, pixel refresher and all that just like the tvs.

Not sure about the alienware QD-OLED but those have a 3 year warranty that covers burn in so its also a non issue imo.

Puscifer

Didn't Linus from LTT get burn in on his LG TV? Thats with him using his OLED TV as a monitor. People have been using OLED TV's as monitors for years and unless you're careful and take precautionary measures there's still high chance of image retention. Gaming monitors are also now a thing and quite a few using Samsung panels.

That and there's several OLED monitors in the market. You can bet a lot of them will have the task bar static at the bottom and perhaps an internet browser/discord or whatever icons static on screen for hours. Which is why I haven't bought one for PC use, its way too much hassle to avoid eventual burn in.
There's laptops with OLED monitors, OLED tech of 2018 onward are a different beast. OLED gaming laptops have been around since 2020, Infact, google "Laptop OLED burn in" there's not a single photo for a Laptop OLED that displays it and it's largely people worrying about the potential of burn in than there is proof of it actually happening.

Bojji

I think he fixed it by just using pixel refresher video of something so it wasn't permanent burn in.

Someone mentioned it already in this thread but most people have OLED screens in their phones and i doubt they have burn in issues on them.

Sleepwalker

I think he fixed it by just using pixel refresher video of something so it wasn't permanent burn in.

Someone mentioned it already in this thread but most people have OLED screens in their phones and i doubt they have burn in issues on them.
My old samsung S8+ burned in last year but it was only noticeable on a pure white screen and it was the least of its problems (cracked screen and other issues). Even then I got that phone in 2017 so a good 5 years of static elements and very heavy usage before it burned in a little.

Luipadre

yep. My C9 is going to be 4 years old this year and 0 burn in. Not even had image retention. Id never buy anything for gaming and movies/shows other than OLED

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
How about making modern CRT without all this burn in, cheating and other BS of LED tech everyone have to deal with? They never going to fix any of the problems of LED and will continue making new ones for others to fix.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

My old samsung S8+ burned in last year but it was only noticeable on a pure white screen and it was the least of its problems (cracked screen and other issues). Even then I got that phone in 2017 so a good 5 years of static elements and very heavy usage before it burned in a little.
Phones for sure get burn in its just phones are usually replaced more often plus rarely display the same static content as say a taskbar on your desktop.

Plus when I was at ATT getting my last Iphone the manager there said they replace their display phones often because of burn in but those do run 24/7

HTK

Banned
I did I had the 42" C2 on my desk replacing 2 LG 27" panels and honestly loved the C2

I know this opens another can of worms but for my main set up during the day I have massive amounts of natural light that comes in and I wont put shades up blocking my view and that is the biggest killer of OLED for me

Currently playing with this 45" LG OLED monitor in a little different set up thats more light controlled and for gaming this display is gorgeous but only being 1440p at this size text does not look good

But circling back to the C2 regardless of what some say I do in fact leave static images up often and for PC desktop use I just would rather deal with drawbacks of other tech
My environment is a bit darker, and I've been mulling over getting the C2 to get that amazing picture quality paired with my PC that can deliver that 4k image and quality of the OLED. Figured it would also get me to game on my PC more hahahha. Additionally, having one screen would make my desk area much nicer in general. I don't know I'm torn on it and the C2 is on sale atm :/

reinking

Gold Member

I remember watching that video. True, he was able to correct his but I remember someone (can't remember who) from that video that did have burn in and it did not clear up.

OLED is a great tech but both people on the extreme ends of the argument are being silly. Burn in can and does happen. Burn in isn't going to happen to everyone. I do laugh when I see people say, "I have had my TV for X number of weeks/months and no burn in." LOL. Well sure.

I have considered OLED but I am waiting to see how mini-LED pans out. I can deal with a few things but I really don't want to have to baby a monitor or TV. I have a tendancy to leave things up for long periods of time.

I moved my 65C8 to the bedroom after getting a 77C1. My kids are the ones that use the C8 and literally abuse the heck out of it, and still no burn in on that one. I've had the C1 for almost 2 years now, so the C8 is still holding on without any problem, other than my kids destroying the remote a couple of times.
I got an LG OLED77G26LA in the January sales for 3.2k and its amazing. The extra twelve inches in screen size really make the difference.

3QGvavs.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My environment is a bit darker, and I've been mulling over getting the C2 to get that amazing picture quality paired with my PC that can deliver that 4k image and quality of the OLED. Figured it would also get me to game on my PC more hahahha. Additionally, having one screen would make my desk area much nicer in general. I don't know I'm torn on it and the C2 is on sale atm :/
Not sure how easy returns are for you and your area but the best way to know is get it in your house and test it for a couple of weeks

I abuse the 60 day returns I get via Best Buy Totaltech membership as I just can't tell anything unless its sitting in my house

kiphalfton

Nobody lied. LG TVs are much less susceptible to burn in than they used to be, and Samsung TVs are shit as usual.

The only Samsung TV I've bought recently that I've been impressed by has been the QN90A. But then again I only used it for <100 hours, so can't provide a whole lot of feedback on it.

Besides that though, their low-to-mid range stuff is pretty crappy and no better than the cheapo brands (i.e. TCL and Hisense).

Lone Wolf

The only Samsung TV I've bought recently that I've been impressed by has been the QN90A. But then again I only used it for <100 hours, so can't provide a whole lot of feedback on it.

Besides that though, their low-to-mid range stuff is pretty crappy and no better than the cheapo brands (i.e. TCL and Hisense).
The QN90A was the flagship in 2021. It wasn’t bad for a Mini LED. Samsung also put an extra layer on the panel to help with viewing angle. My issue with that TV was that it had no Dolby Vision (all Samsung TVs have this problem) and it was usually more expensive than the LG OLEDS. This was also the issue in 2022. The B2 and C2 are cheaper than the QN90B and are just overall better in nearly every category.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Still using my E9, no burn in so far though I've noticed some image retention that left after some time. I do have a bunch of dead pixels though. But I can't wait for qd Oled to fix its issues cuz' I'm done with banding and crushed blacks on my TV.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Of all the Mini LED the QN90A is still the best at local dimming and mitigating blooming. The QN90C for this year is terrible.

MaKTaiL

I got my first OLED last year, LG C1, and I couldn't be happier to be honest. I use it for gaming, tv shows, etc and still no signs of burn-in. I use all safety precautions as well.

YCoCg

That's why LG opted for MLA and kept with normal OLED, helping to bump OLED brightness up a bit more but retaining the safety of their OLED burn in techniques. QD-OLED is better picture quality wise but it's still in early years mainstream, but even then Samsung have opted to use heat sinks and improved tech on their second gen panels to further reduce burn in chances.

Denton

Overrated, 1080p, no hdr.
God tier back then but nothing now
Just a week ago I saw LG 65" OLED with HDRed TLOU2 and Jedi Fallen Order running on it and found those overrated, no reason to upgrade. 1080p on plasma when downsampled from 4K looks great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just a week ago I saw LG 65" OLED with HDRed TLOU2 and Jedi Fallen Order running on it and found those overrated, no reason to upgrade. 1080p on plasma when downsampled from 4K looks great.
nah. I am not saying it's fine but downsampling is not gonna help.

4k on 4k compared to 4k on 1080p. both 27" screens
oCQCLIR.jpg

And hdr is huge. When i play game in sdr now, it looks almost black and white lol

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

oCQCLIR.jpg

And hdr is huge. When i play game in sdr now, it looks almost black and white lol
What's bad about this shot for someone like myself with 55 year old eyes I wouldn't have seen a difference unless that sign way in the distance was zoomed in 400% and especially on a 27" monitor

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What's bad about this shot for someone like myself with 55 year old eyes I wouldn't have seen a difference unless that sign way in the distance was zoomed in 400% and especially on a 27" monitor
This means you sit too far away to appreciate 4k gaming honestly.
I have poor eyesight myself. Hence oled on my desk

UnNamed

Banned

Probably for some people it's absolutely normal to turn the tv on 24/7 on CNN for 2 months in a row.

Bojji

Stick with Mini LED

To see black smearing on VA tvs and bad contrast on IPS panels?

OLED is the best tv tech right now, especially for gaming where VRR works flawlessy compared to some stupid limitations on some LCD tvs like reduced local dimming quality or even better, not being able to turn it on at all. Not to mention on LG tvs VRR range is 40-120 so Xbox series consoles (and PC) can better "hide" some framerate fluctuations.

To see black smearing on VA tvs and bad contrast on IPS panels?

OLED is the best tv tech right now, especially for gaming where VRR works flawlessy compared to some stupid limitations on some LCD tvs like reduced local dimming quality or even better, not being able to turn it on at all. Not to mention on LG tvs VRR range is 40-120 so Xbox series consoles (and PC) can better "hide" some framerate fluctuations.

KErPesj.gif

Fbh

Probably for some people it's absolutely normal to turn the tv on 24/7 on CNN for 2 months in a row.

I don't know if you are kidding but there probably are people that leave CNN on 24/7.
But I also don't think they are the ones buying OLED Tv's

Or a task bar running all the time on the exploding OLED monitor market

That's true.
Personally I wouldn't buy an OLED monitor or a laptop with an OLED screen.
But the video in question is about TV's.

I had an LG OLED65C8PLA for over five year with daily heavy usage and had no burn in there. Just make sure you have all safety measures on and watch a variety of content.

Same. I game daily on the exact same OLED TV since 2018, and still no burn-ins or even image retentions. I've been waiting to purchase the G3, but now I think I'm going to pick up a 65C2 that regularly goes on sale for around $1,300, saving over $2,000 vs a 65" G3.

Puscifer

Going on 4 years with my Pixel 3A (Based LineageOS keeping it alive) and I haven't seen a single issue. I feel like some people need to understand there's an expected failure rate for all devices but that make the tech bad or unreliable.

oCQCLIR.jpg

HDR is meh, I honestly turned it off on Ragnarok and Forbidden West because they made the image look bad on my Bravia OLED (nothing's wrong with it, the games implementation itself wasn't that impressive and arguably looks worse than SDR)

Unlike movies games don't have a particular standard so implementation is all over the place. Honestly starting to prefer more games with it off than on, 4K movies though are seemingly always great.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Funny how this burn-in debate always overshadows OLED’s greatest weak point - motion.
OLED motion looks wrong even at 60fps. The tech’s fast refresh rate is at odds with the majority of video content that’s out there. Good for you if you don’t notice, but to me, nothing on OLED ever felt right. Going LED felt like getting my eyes fixed.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Funny how this burn-in debate always overshadows OLED’s greatest weak point - motion.
OLED motion looks wrong even at 60fps. The tech’s fast refresh rate is at odds with the majority of video content that’s out there. Good for you if you don’t notice, but to me, nothing on OLED ever felt right. Going LED felt like getting my eyes fixed.
dude. Oled's motion is it's best strength.
It's so good and instant, it requires good filmic like motion blur.
Otherwise you indeed need A LOT of fps for your eyes to make it clean motion. collection of static, frozen 60fps images is what it is.
You need to capture motion in each frame for oled... and/or you need at least 60fps.

Last edited:

Killer8

Personally, issues like OLED burn-in, bad OLED motion, and lots of other OLED things mentioned in this thread as 'terrible', are all things I have never ever experienced or noticed.

The only issue I have ever had with a screen is my Asus ROG PG279, which has the most horrific yogore/mura defect all around its IPS screen like this:

TERzmM2.jpg

The worst part about it is that if you drop a hew Hz below your target refresh, it starts to flicker. It makes games with beige color palettes, like the desert in Neir Automata, basically unplayable.

I would much rather go with decent OLED tech and live with some slight burn in over the years then put up with dogshit LCD monitor tech ever again.

My friend's son plays Minecraft constantly and their LG OLED TV has the UI for that game burned in permanently.

Which is why I find the morons and cultists in this thread trying to tell me burn-in isn't real to be hilarious. Not only is it real, I've seen it with my own eyes. 😂

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My friend's son plays Minecraft constantly and their LG OLED TV has the UI for that game burned in permanently.

Which is why I find the morons and cultists in this thread trying to tell me burn-in isn't real to be hilarious. Not only is it real, I've seen it with my own eyes. 😂
how many hours?
Does he play this sdr game, with needless HDR enabled all the time?
are safety features on?
do you by any chance turn off power strip after turning off the tv?
what lg oled do you have?

Nobody is denying burn-in is not real. It absolutely is. but it is better now than it supposedly used to be on LG

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Traditional OLEDs are dim and not great at rendering HDR content. Not enough Nits.

Noone is saying it isn't real tho :messenger_neutral: Honestly the discourse on GAF can be GameSpot system wars level at times

Puscifer

I don't think I haven't admitted that it doesn't exist as much as I'm saying it's overblown and honestly a moot point, buy one or don't it's your money.

Top Bottom