• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Matrix trilogy - "Mr. Anderson, welcome back" (unmarked spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a fan of The Matrix trilogy. I mean, a big fan. I'm the kind of guy who decided to skip his last day of elementary school to see the worldwide release of Matrix Revolutions. The kind of guy who was always wearing a Matrix Reloaded shirt and could recite pretty much any line from the first movie by heart. The kind of guy who liked and enjoyed Enter the Matrix, and tolerated Path of Neo enough to reach the final boss (that game was terrible though). It's no surprise then that when I found a new copy of the Ultimate Collection in blu-ray for a reasonable price the other day, I proceeded to buy it immediately. Having all three movies, plus Animatrix (which I've never seen) and a whole lot of extra content in a single package? How could I resist?

01.jpg

Seriously, how could I?

So last Friday I got together with a couple of friends and we spent the whole night watching the trilogy. It's been a long time since I last saw them, and by that I mean years. No, I'm actually lying a bit: I did see the original movie the day after I bought the collection, but that's it. Reloaded and Revolutions had been staying out of my life for over two years, I think. The time was right to go back to them, to a disappointing yet fun sequel and to what I once considered my favorite movie of all time, respectively. Yes, I never cared that much for Reloaded, despite agreeing that it had some cool action sequences, and I loved the hell out of Revolutions, even to the point where I would call it better than the first one. Guess I'm that kind of guy.

All four of us had seen the trilogy before, so we weren't new to it. We were coming back to a series we liked, and the first movie suffered the consequences of that. As it's the one we'd seen the most, we spent most of the time talking over it, sometimes criticizing a particular scene or whatever. It's not without shame that I'll admit to also doing it myself, particularly during the climax of the movie, where Trinity confesses his love to a recently deceased Neo. That scene always felt out of place to me, what with the sentinels about to kill the Nebuchadnezzar crew and all. I'm also not a fan of the part where our heroes, after successfully rescuing Morpheus and extracting him from the Matrix, stay in the subway station talking casually instead of picking up the phone and getting out of there alive, especially when they knew the agents were looking for them. But those two are probably the only complaints I have about that masterpiece. That, and having to suffer through an almost unbearable number of needles in several scenes (for me, one single needle is a needle too much). I cringe every time I see Neo pulling out the needle when he wakes up in the ship for the first time, or Morpheus having some truth serum injected into his neck. Still, this one's a true classic, and I consider it one of the best movies ever made. Everything here makes sense, every single line of dialog has a purpose and actual meaning (even if it didn't seem so during the first time watching it). The action scenes are incredible; the lobby shootout is as impressive as it was the first time, and the kung fu training is still really fun to watch. The subway scene and subsequent chase near the end are also highlights. Everything looks so good, it's hard to believe this came out in 1999. The soundtrack kicks ass too and suits it perfectly.

This is such an amazing film that words can't begin to describe it. If you have seen it, you probably know what I mean. If you haven't, then I don't know what you've been doing all these years, but you need to fix that as soon as possible. You owe it to yourself.

02.jpg

Which one will you choose?

A couple of hours later we got to The Matrix Reloaded. I was looking forward to this one, because I always felt it was the worst and the most annoying one, so I was hoping to change my opinion of it now. I always remembered it as a movie with a few nice action scenes and a whole lot of boring dialogue with no real meaning, or at least none I could understand. Not to mention the party/sex scene, which I always hated. It ruins the mood of the movie, it has absolutely nothing to do with what I consider Matrix material, and it goes on for way too long. Well, turns out I was right about this scene: it was bad this time too. It was boring, it was annoying, and I wanted it to end so the movie could continue.

All through this movie we were trying to understand every single detail, every unique line of dialogue and every particular action the characters did. Take, as an example, the scene where Neo receives the spoon from the first movie as a gift. Why does that happen? What does it mean in the context of the events going on? That whenever something weird happens, it's just Neo who's changing or bending himself? I have no idea. Likewise, how could Neo free agent Smith by simply entering his body and making him explode in the previous movie? How does that give him the ability to not abide by the Matrix's rules anymore, and clone himself as he pleases? Isn't he still a program inside a computer world? Turns out I was left with more doubts and questions than ever before, even though I had read about these movies on the internet and here on GAF before. I had seen discussions and explanations of different things, and I thought I understood. I thought it all made sense. And I believed I would understand everything when I saw the movies myself, but I felt more confused than the previous times.

This is what bothers me. I don't know if the Merovingian speaks in an obfuscated way or what, but nothing he said made sense to me. He spoke of causality and consequence, he gave a woman an orgasm by making her eat a piece of cake, he even cursed a little in French. But what did he say that made the plot advance, or explained anything? Either I'm missing something big here, or this scene is complete filler with nothing (either important or not) happening. Same deal with the Oracle and her complicated explanations, which confuse more than they explain. But the main prize goes to... Morpheus. He changed completely in regards to the first movie, turning from a cool and smart mysterious character into a crazy religious dude who goes against what logic dictates. Zion is about to be destroyed, and yet he wants to take a ship for some weird prophecy he believes in, which may or may not be real. It's also funny how most people seem to play along with him. In the next movie, after several ships have been destroyed due to Morpheus' beliefs, Neo is given yet another one to travel to the heart of the machines' city -the same machines that they need the ships to protect Zion from.

03.jpg

You used to be cool, Morpheus. What did the Oracle do to you?

That's not to say the movie is lacking in the action department. Oh no, it doesn't. On the contrary! From the freeway chase to the fight between Neo and Seraph, along with the fight at the Merovingian's place (which I never paid much attention to, but it's actually pretty fun), these 2 hours are packed with breathtaking events. The freeway chase in particular stands out for me thanks to the amount of stuff going on, with crashing cars, fistfights on top of trucks, impossible jumps between cars and tons of bullets. And, of course, Reloaded also has the burly brawl. I always loved it and considered it the best part of the movie, and I still think it is. Neo fighting dozens, if not hundreds, of Smiths? Nothing could ever be cooler than that, CGI or not. And to the movie's credit, I found out that the Architect scene, which I always thought was blatant nonsense, was in fact the most informative moment of all. Talking about the different Matrix iterations (like Smith did in the previous movie, when trying to break into Morpheus' mind), about Neo's existence being due to a glitch in the Matrix ("The sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation", in his own words), about those who reject the system (which must be dealt with at some point) and about the cyclical nature of the whole thing. It was pretty clear, and made me wonder how could I fail to understand it before. It felt refreshing to find the method to that madness at last. The Architect stands redeemed in my book.

04.jpg

He may be a little hard to get, but he speaks wise words.

Just like our heroes moved closer to the end of their journey, so we reached the next and final movie. The Matrix Revolutions blew my mind back when it came out. The whole world was watching it for the first time, and I was there too. We were seeing Neo's finest hour together, which was an impressive way to end the trilogy. This is a direct sequel of Reloaded, starting right where the previous one ended. It doesn't have a "Previously on The Matrix" intro, so if you don't remember what happened before you'll feel completely lost (we did a marathon in a single night, so we had no trouble with this). The beginning is pretty complicated, as you'll struggle trying to find out what happened to Neo, where is he and how on earth did he manage to launch an EMP from the tip of his fingers in the final minutes of Reloaded. As should have been expected, the following conversation involved topics such as love, obsolescence and karma, and not much of it made sense to me. I wanted answers, and instead all I got was more questions and the feeling that I was becoming more stupid by the minute, because here was even more stuff I couldn't comprehend. The scene with the Merovingian was entertaining, with a nice shootout leading to it. The talks with the Oracle are complicated, once again, and prophecy beats logic when Neo is given a ship so he can do what he thinks he must: a suicide flight to the machines' city.

The fight between humans and machines in Zion is impressive as usual, though I can't help feeling it drags on a bit too long. But it's amazing to watch, so I can't honestly complain when it provides so much eye candy and adrenaline. We get to hear captain Mifune's last words as he is killed by the machines, which is a bit corny in my opinion, but other than that the whole sequence is pretty solid. Going back to the Logos, what's still strange to me is how Neo can see Bane after getting his eyes burned in the real world. Did he get the power to sense digital/electronic/technological stuff or what? Anyway, I like how flaming Bane looks and I enjoy watching him losing his head and shattering into fiery pieces, so I'm glad they did that. Another thing I never got is that when they reach the machines' domain, a sentinel seems to fly through Neo with everything looking digital or something (kinda like Matrix code, but outside the Matrix). What's that supposed to mean? And when Trinity and him finally reach their destination and she gets impaled, there's another one of those dying scenes where the good guy (or gal, in this case) has enough time to tell the other person their final words, like how much they loved him and how they regret their previous actions. Seriously, these scenes never made much sense to me. If I were dying from such a horrible thing, you can bet that I'd be less concerned about letting my friends/family/lover know how much I enjoyed their company and way more about shouting at the top of my lungs in agony and desperation. Reminds me of that part of the original Matrix I complained about before, but this time with Trinity being the one about to die.

05.jpg

It may not make much sense, but you can't deny it looks fantastic.

Said final words give way to what's perhaps the most impressive scene in the whole trilogy. I'm talking of none other than the fight under the rain, Neo vs Smith. There's no lack of special effects here, with the characters flying and some awesome water explosions. My favorite part is probably Neo punching Smith in the face, in ultra slow motion. It's so slow that the former's fist can be seen destroying individual rain drops, and it also shows the subsequent mark of his fingers on Smith's cheek after a powerful punch. There are also a couple of great speeches delivered by the former agent, which eventually lead to the following exchange that I love:

Smith: "Why, Mr. Anderson? Why, why? Why do you do it? Why, why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting... for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although... only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?"
Neo: "Because I choose to."

06.jpg

That's gotta hurt!

All in all, this is a great movie, even though some scenes could have been a bit shorter. It spends too much time outside the Matrix, either in Zion or in a ship flying through the remains of the civilized world. In fact, each sequel had less and less time in the Matrix and more in the real world, which for me is a more uninteresting setting (not saying I don't like it though). A couple of conversations are needlessly hard to understand, but as I already said, this was also true of Reloaded.

Everything that has a beginning has an end. And just like that, we've reached the end of this RTTP thread. My impressions after watching the trilogy again, for the first time in years, are extremely positive when it comes to action sequences, but not so much regarding dialogues and explanations (or lack thereof) in the sequels. I didn't remember them being so confusing, to be honest. I used to think the Architect part was the only one I had trouble with, but turns out that was one of the few I could understand this time. The only one that didn't involve abstract concepts or reaching out for metaphysical explanations, or weird arguments about choice and consequence. And I felt silly because of this, because of my lack of understanding. I had seen these movies many times; how come I failed to comprehend these concepts after that, even though I had read my fair share of online articles and forum discussions about them?

At least one thing is pretty clear to me now. As I always thought, the sequels are definitely good, maybe even great. They are very different from the first one and, despite what my 12 years old self used to believe, not as good, but they serve their purpose well. They entertain a lot, and if anything, they provide a lot of material to think and talk about. I get it now: Revolutions is not the masterpiece I once thought, much less the best movie ever, but damn it's good. And Reloaded earned a lot of points with me, as a result of all those fights I overlooked before and the Architect conversation finally making sense. After this marathon I can honestly say I'm still a fan of the Wachowskis' work.

But enough about my opinions! I want to hear what you guys think. I know there have been a lot of threads about these movies on GAF, but it won't hurt to have another one, right? What do you think of them? Did you like the sequels? Were you satisfied with the explanations that were given? Could you understand everything? What's your favorite moment? Should Neo have taken the blue pill?

Chichikov

It was originally supposed to be two movies.

It should have been two movies.
It should've been one, it ended with Keanu becoming computer super jesus, the savior of humanity, there is nowhere to go from there and there is really no reason.
The world of the Matrix is not that well thought of, it creates a neat backdrop for some wire-fu and for Carrie-Anne Moss to wear latex, but honestly, the more you dwell on it, the more it would come undone.

I wish Neo having telekinesis and super-cool vision in the real world was explained by it being a higher level of the Matrix, and him dying caused him to wake up again.

But him having those abilities in the real world ended up with him just being magic.

Altazor

Go watch The Second Renaissance immediately.

this. So much this.

Sorry I can't offer much criticism or debate regarding the rest of your post, RionaaM - but you have to watch The Second Renaissance. Best Matrix-related thingie after the original movie.

And then watch Detective Story. And Beyond, too.

EDIT: Seriously, watch The Second Renaissance. It's disturbing and amazing and beautiful at the same time. Some of the images are still harrowing after all these years...

Syncytia

Damn, now I want to buy the blu-rays. Is the Ultimate collection worth $40 to get the Animatrix? I've never seen it. I'm having a hard time deciding if it's worth it for something I've never seen and double the price of the trilogy.... I do like The Matrix quite a lot if that helps.

matrix reloaded had some dope action sequences. the first one had such a good fell tho, a shame the last film just got dumb af.

It was originally supposed to be two movies.

It should have been two movies.

The rumor, as I remember it from late 1999:

There were to be two sequels: One that explained how the machines took over, one that showed how Neo saved the world.

And then the first sequel/prequel became the 20-minute "The Second Renaissance" in The Animatrix, and the one sequel became two whole movies, padded out by interminable philosophical musings.

batbeg

The longest lasting effect of this stupid series is everyone calling me Mr. Anderson in the Agent Smith tone. OH WOW NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE, ESPECIALLY WITH SUCH A COMMON NAME.

Haven't watched 2 or 3 since they came out, not sure I'd want to. Animatrix kicks ass though.

I feel there's a lot of interesting ideas in the 3rd movie but still maybe only one movie spread across the last two. Part of the original movie's power is in its brevity - it explains gently, and leaves something to the viewer. The narrative leaps in the final two films get a bit too wordy and construct heavy to push through.

The Architect scene is amazing, though.

RionaaM talking Matrix Reloaded said:
Likewise, how could Neo free agent Smith by simply entering his body and making him explode in the previous movie? How does that give him the ability to not abide by the Matrix's rules anymore, and clone himself as he pleases? Isn't he still a program inside a computer world?

As I recall, the act of Neo entering Smith's program basically gives Smith (a program) some code - a slice of Neo - effectively making him a Virus. He's still a program, but operating under Neo's expanded rules and not under the safeguards of the system.

I don't know if the Merovingian speaks in an obfuscated way or what, but nothing he said made sense to me. He spoke of causality and consequence, he gave a woman an orgasm by making her eat a piece of cake, he even cursed a little in French. But what did he say that made the plot advance, or explained anything?

He's meant to be the other side of the coin to the Oracle (his nemesis). His ruthless pragmatism has given him the conviction that everything is cause-and-effect, and that free will is an illusion. This is meant to offset the very message the heroes had been running off of. Simultaneously he is showing how software (AI) runs virtually everything in the Matrix, and, properly configured, can be used to bend the rules (making Smith seem a little less impossible).

He changed completely in regards to the first movie, turning from a cool and smart mysterious character into a crazy religious dude who goes against what logic dictates. Zion is about to be destroyed, and yet he wants to take a ship for some weird prophecy he believes in, which may or may not be real. It's also funny how most people seem to play along with him. In the next movie, after several ships have been destroyed due to Morpheus' beliefs, Neo is given yet another one to travel to the heart of the machines' city -the same machines that they need the ships to protect Zion from.

I don't entirely disagree, but the Oracle explains Morpheus' religious fervor in the first movie. The prophecy is the tentpole of his existence. It gave him the conviction to live and then when Neo turned out, the conviction that everything he believed was true.

The people of Zion clearly would call his bullshit, but he basically just recruited Michael Jordan. They went from running for their lives from any single agent to actually having a countermeasure. And the situation vs. the machines was near dire; even if the grand poobah's said not to encourage him, the populace clearly wanted something to believe in (see Neo's popularity in the real world).

Neo's newfound powers are never truly explained, but I get the impression he was more or less imprinted onto the Matrix itself, existing in both worlds so capable of seeing in both. But that doesn't explain his great WiFi range, so there's that...

maladroid

I wish Neo having telekinesis and super-cool vision in the real world was explained by it being a higher level of the Matrix, and him dying caused him to wake up again.

But him having those abilities in the real world ended up with him just being magic.
I haven't watched the movies in a while, so I'll probably be corrected, but I feel like the sequels would have been seen in a different light if perhaps The Second Renaissance was shown in front of them.

My interpretation from those shorts was that the machines initially wanted to co-exist with humans. Even though in the vast majority of the films depict machines trying to destroy humanity, I feel like that initial piece of information tinges the way aspects in the films are seen.

Why do the machines use humans instead of more efficient means to produce energy? For me, this isn't a matter of what's optimal, but a way to preserve humans.

Why do Neo's powers transfer into the real world? For me, the constructs of 'The One' and 'Zion' are still parts of the machines' system.

In the first movie, Agent Smith talks about how the initial versions of the Matrix were rejected by humans because they were 'too' perfect. We also see how in the imperfect version of the Matrix how people still reject it.

In the second movie, the Architect talks about how Neo isn't the first One. The creation of the One, the construction and subsequent destruction of Zion, in my mind, is a cycle constructed by the machines for two purposes: 1. To appease those who reject the Matrix, even in its imperfect form 2. To construct a scenario that leads to an acceptance of co-existence that was not possible (centuries ago?) as depicted in The Second Renaissance.

I can't recall if Neo was flying like Superman outside of the Matrix, but I do recall him being able to take down machines. If the One is a concept made by machines, it doesn't seem so farfetched that Neo's powers like that are present in the real world.

That's my take on it. It may not make complete sense, but it's help me find some merit in the existence of the sequels, even with their problems.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I was big into the Matrix back when the sequels were still coming out, hell I even loved the comics. I still love the first one, enjoy the Animatrix, and some of the action scenes from Reloaded.

Not too long ago, I picked up the ultimate Bluray set and rewatched the first one. It was as entertaining as I remebered it being, and reminded me why I've always considered it one of my favorite movies. I only wish I had gotten to see it in theaters during its original run.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Animatrix for the win. Sorry to diverge from OT.

As for the trilogy, they should just go back and make the second two movies having taken place inside a matrix and that explains the fucking real world superpowers. Bobby Ewing that shit.

Bobby-Ewing.png

I was big into the Matrix back when the sequels were still coming out, hell I even loved the comics. I still love the first one, enjoy the Animatrix, and some of the action scenes from Reloaded.

Not too long ago, I picked up the ultimate Bluray set and rewatched the first one. It was as entertaining as I remebered it being, and reminded me why I've always considered it one of my favorite movies. I only wish I had gotten to see it in theaters during it's original run.

Saw it opening weekend back in 99 with a friend. We were like "hopefully it'll be a decent bit of mindless action."

I remember turning to him as the shells from the helicopter mounted minigun were bouncing off the plexiglass in front of the camera during Morpheus' escape and going "WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE WATCHING RIGHT NOW."

I remember him saying "Dude - I don't know if Star Wars is even going to live up to that."

I was like "Man, c'mon. That's silly."

So much crow.

I love love love the first film.

I'm holding out for a day where I can get a Blu-Ray quality version of the theatrical release of the first film. They went back and did some color correction so that anytime they were in the Matrix there was a green hue to correspond with the later movies. I personally think that the lack of green tint made it harder to discern what was indeed reality.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Fucking hell snowblind I had no idea. I have the original widescreen DVD cardboard box release, pretty sure it's clear of the tint, but, you know, SD.

Daft_Cat

I'm glad to see some positive reflections on the sequels, OP. Maybe I'm just a Wachowski apologist, or maybe I was so young when I saw the sequels that my perspective is skewed. I don't really care either way.

I think the Wachowski's definitely knew what they were trying to say. When I was a teenager, the sequels were always the films I constantly went back to to try and "figure out". To others, maybe it was bad storytelling... but to me it was fascinating. I feel like I've got a pretty good grip on them now, and that's pretty gratifying.

The Wachowski's said something similar around the release of Cloud Atlas, but I think the following adequately sums up the sequels thematically: the idea of reality ought to be defined subjectively, rather than objectively. It doesn't matter which reality is "objectively true". Your reality is defined by the things that mean something to you. Neo begins with the search for objective truth... in what lies "beyond"... but he ends up anchoring his idea of reality in humanity, and more specifically in Trinity.

The architect's speech is so intentionally disorienting (meta, even), but the point is clear. The rabbit hole goes deeper, and the system of control doesn't end with the matrix. There's something more going on beyond Zion, the machines, and the agents. This is made clearer at the end of the second film when Neo is able to use his powers in "the real world". How deep is Neo willing to follow the rabbit hole? I think at one point Neo simply says "Fuck this. This isn't the shit that matters to me." He chooses love over the system, and in so doing he defines his own reality. He makes that choice the second he chooses to walk out on the architect. It's basically just existentialism 101.

In some ways, that idea is in direct contrast to the first film... but in other ways, the original basically begged the question. What if our world isn't real? Turns out it isn't... but can't you ask the same thing about the next layer of "real" you find yourself in? I think that's an important factor in tracking Neo's growth as a character. The whole trilogy is basically a search for meaning. Neo begins by searching for a reality beyond the one pulled in front of our eyes. He searches for it in computers, and in the beyond. He's convinced there's something more out there. In the first film, he finds it. In the sequels, doubt grows. How "real" is the real world? The architect gives us a scenario resembling an infinite regress. A system of multiple layers of reality, and repeating cycles...all designed to assert control. That entire sequence is basically a continuation of Neo's discussion with Morpheus.. only colder, more complex, and less human. He's literally talking to a computer, and what's his reaction? He flips the bird, says fuck you, and goes off to save his girlfriend.

Neo chooses to reject the architect's machinations, and thus breaks the system. I think it's intentional that we never really have a clear idea of what exactly this "system" entailed. We're never sure why Neo could use his powers in the real world (outside of the notion that the real world was just another layer for those that rejected the Matrix), and why Zion was caught up in this meta-cycle of destruction and resurrection. Neo never fully knew either, because he no longer cared. He see's that he's just one of the system's many tools, and he chooses to walk away. In so doing, he chooses to define his own reality through the people that mean the most to him, rather than through increasingly obscured, objective notions of "the real". He's fighting for something he believes in now; something human. He's lost the existential edge he had in the first film, and his arc is complete. The Matrix Revolutions represents the consequences of Neo's choice played out in real time. I don't know. I think it's pretty powerful stuff. Maybe a little bit obscure, but that's what made the entire trilogy live on in my head. All three films are fairly obscure, at least at first glance.

I think they're vastly underrated sequels.. and they make up a great trilogy overall. I felt the same way about Reloaded and Revolutions as you do now when I was younger... but my opinion has swapped in recent years. Revolutions has better pacing but I find Reloaded is the more intriguing of the two. That said, I'd concede that the first film works the best as a single tale. The sequels aren't as successful neither in terms of storytelling, nor in the communication of their ideas... Still, I think there's so much to dig into and all three are very important to me.

Anyway... tl:dr: Cool movies. I might be over-reading them, but I'm totally fine with that.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Incoming multi-page discussion about how Zion is or is not in the Matrix.

Incoming theory about how the machines are only keeping humans alive because of some sort of programming deep down that prevents them from eliminating them.

Also second renaissance is scary.

Incoming multi-page discussion about how Zion is or is not in the Matrix.

Incoming theory about how the machines are only keeping humans alive because of some sort of programming deep down that prevents them from eliminating them.

Also second renaissance is scary.

Ooooh that's a neat theory.

BobbyRoberts said:
I know. That's why I'm praising it.

Oh :/

Jigorath

Banned
He didn't. He was a mite-tad-bit vocabulistic, but his infodump was an infodump to put all other exposition shits to shame.

The guy talked like a human thesaurus.

Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden assiduously avoided, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you, inexorably, here.

This was supposed to be a big plot twist but 90% of the audience didn't even understand what the guy was saying.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
that shaky-cam scene where the group of men destroy the female robot? Seriously fucked me up the first time I saw it. The vocoder breaking up as she screams for her life was a particularly distressing detail.

Those downfall parts are just sad since you know to what kind of shitty world it leads to but I think the human machine war scenes later are actually frightening. The complete darkness and violence and drug use and etc. footage. It's pretty good at capturing the worst parts of a war, despite it being fictional. It's like the horrors of WW1 but with machines and worse.

No doubt. in fact, the flip to that street assault scene I'm talking about is the scene where the guy in his mech is pried open like a sardine can and efficiently dismantled all while screaming at the top of his lungs to stop.

The Second Renaissance is some pretty potent nightmare fuel.

Which makes the decision to shitcan it to a 20 minute anime instead of a 2 hour prequel to The Matrix all the more disappointing, especially when you consider how bloated Reloaded/Revelations was in response to that shunting of the story to a short film.

No doubt. in fact, the flip to that street assault scene I'm talking about is the scene where the guy in his mech is pried open like a sardine can and efficiently dismantled all while screaming at the top of his lungs to stop.

The Second Renaissance is some pretty potent nightmare fuel.

Which makes the decision to shitcan it to a 20 minute anime instead of a 2 hour prequel to The Matrix all the more disappointing, especially when you consider how bloated Reloaded/Revelations was in response to that shunting of the story to a short film.

It would be a spectacle for sure... but I don't think a movie is needed. We know the in between. Having it in our imaginations is much more frightening.

Not to mention that it puts us in the shoes of our protagonists. All they have is this information to go off with none of the inbetween.

Not to mention that it puts us in the shoes of our protagonists. All they have is this information to go off with none of the inbetween.

I dunno. I'd suggest it adds a little nuance to the fight to free Zion at the end - humanity considers itself really, really righteous in its endeavor. And maybe it isn't.

The shading I think helps, thematically, more than it hurts. And subtracting fully HALF of Reloaded/Revolution to substitute for a thoughtful dissection of how humanity went wrong in treating its creations is a better tradeoff than what we got. Or at least it could have been.

AC!D

The longest lasting effect of this stupid series is everyone calling me Mr. Anderson in the Agent Smith tone. OH WOW NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE, ESPECIALLY WITH SUCH A COMMON NAME.

Haven't watched 2 or 3 since they came out, not sure I'd want to. Animatrix kicks ass though.

I get this all the time too...but I love it. :D

The first movie was awesome. And the third was pretty bad but I didn't realise people hated the second one so much. :/ The party/sex scene at the start is cringing but once you're past that it's a pretty damn fine action film.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Matrix Sequels/Animatrix came out when I was 19, and as a pseudo-philosophical, pseudo-Buddhist, tech-geek, I ate that shit up - even though that period was also a realization of the inherent flaws in the creators' vision. There was no naive celebration of it (Animatrix aside), but everything in that series resonated HARD at that age, even as the films weren't perfect.

The Matrix Reloaded was one of the most bold visions set to film, interspersed with some truly awkward pseudo-philosophy. I just wanted it to be a bit smarter and less obtuse in the way it delivered its (albeit brilliant) concepts. But I have no faults with the vision of the action sequences. I don't care about "Final Fantasy Neo" CGI, or the fact that Neo post-Matrix 1 suffered from Superman complex hard (we know he can't fail). It was 2/3rds of the best movie ever made just for its set-pieces alone. And it was 1/3rd like a pseduo-intelligent philosophy major who thought he was more smart than he was.

The Animatrix (and its soundtrack) was the most perfect experience of 2003 for me. In retrospect I'd almost consider it the coda to the Japan/Anime obsessed late-90s/early 2000s... a handshake between east and west.. Loved the soundtrack and it was the piece that most resonated with the pseudo-Buddhist in me. The constant theme of "waking up" to the illusory nature of reality was my favorite theme of the whole franchise.

Revolutions was the kind of movie you say to your friends "well, that sucked" when the credits rolled, because you didn't even need to ask that they feel the same way. It was a handful of that pseudo-philosophy, but not interspersed with technophilic video game-style imagery... Just gross real world Zion stuff. I was most turned off by the fact that they spent hardly any time in The Matrix, and for me The Matrix was the point. As I said above, I saw it through that Buddhist lens where The Matrix was a metaphor for our world, and how transformation of ourselves was possible when we realized existence was a veil. I wasn't that interested in Zion except to give context for the fact that The Matrix/"real world" was an illusion. So to spend time on the Zion conflict was a diversion to me.

I also wasn't a fan of making Neo a Christ figure... I held out for a secret hope that Neo's power was a self-power potential in all of us (and the "prophecy" was not that he was special, but was a teacher that could show others), though to be fair, the Wachowskis took a sampling of all religions.... so the Buddhistic elements hooked me, but it's just as fair that Judeo-Christian elements hooked others.

In retrospect though, free of my assumptions, I think it is interesting that they explored their universe from all angles... It's a high concept techno-kung fu philosophy movie... and a post-apocalypse struggle against killer robots. I'll have to re-visit that movie someday... I honestly haven't watched it since 2003.

Vestax

Banned
Best trilogy ever.

I am a huge Matrix fan, but I gotta say that The Godfather is the best trilogy ever.

The Matrix is the second best movie in my book. I've watched it countless times.
Carrie-Ann Moss is super sexy as well.

ElTopo

Banned
1st film is pretty decently made. Feels very dated. By the time the sequels came and everyone is running around in leather and sunglasses it just looked ridiculous. So, everyone's inner ID is basically the leather coat and sunglasses look?

The Animatrix is still great and holds up.

Supposedly the next Mr. Plinkett review(s) will be the Matrix trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom