• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 3060 8GB - NVidia screws consumers, again

winjer

Gold Member

Impressive that Nvidia managed to release such a terrible card, before the end of 2022.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would buy this in a heartbeat just because I liked to be fucked.

oh-my-george-takei.gif

Xdrive05

As a 3050 owner, this obviously should have been their 3050ti and priced a good 20% lower at least. Just like the 3050 should be priced at actual MSRP and not the +$50 to +$100 that it's actually been selling for.

Seriously it's like the last couple years of shitty availability have conditioned the market to fuck us even when the cards are easily available now.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Oh no Nvidia review on Hardware Unboxed.

I don't know why is it so emotional, it's not like Nvidia dropped the old cards, so meh.

Should be 3055.
The chip is the same as 3060 12GB, so making it part of the 3060 family makes sense. But why have 4 digits when not using the last one? This new variant should be the base 3060 and the 3060 should have been 3061/ 3063 or whatever.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
NVidia should have just called it a 3050Ti, and price it accordingly. If they were honest.
Totally.
And it would actually kinda make sense as a 3050Ti.
Oh no Nvidia review on Hardware Unboxed.

I don't know why is it so emotional, it's not like Nvidia dropped the old cards, so meh.
Ive always wondered what Hardware Unboxed beef with Nvidia is.....for a while they didnt even bother using Raytracing or DLSS.
Which I always found weird, it is tech that exists that alot of games have and gamers actually use.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
As someone who has only ever used Nvidia cards.....I really hope they get their asses curb stomped by AMD. They need a fuckin wake up call. As of right now, my next card will be AMD.
The problem is that AMD's featureset isn't keeping up. Their ray tracing performance sucks and FSR is decent but incomparable to DLSS

And the fact that they will STILL have such an uncontrolled mindshare is beyond me. I applaud Jacket Man from that standpoint, but with that said...

Fuck you, Jensen!
AMD will also sell a 7900XTX and a worse but barely cheaper 7900XT which is not better at all. XT and XTX are imho also sort of hiding what performance difference it will give you just as much as 4060 12GB and 4060 8GB does.
I suppose A750 to A770 makes at least a bit more sense.
Naming rules are rather nonsensical and intentionally intransparent. Customers should not have to research stuff to understand what they are getting. Same number should be the exact same performance. Adding some letters means also nothing to many customers. So eg Ti as a differentiator is imho also quite empty.

winjer

Gold Member
Ive always wondered what Hardware Unboxed beef with Nvidia is.....for a while they didnt even bother using Raytracing or DLSS.
Which I always found weird, it is tech that exists that alot of games have and gamers actually use.

That's not exactly correct. They did a few specials covering DLSS and/or RTX.
We also have to consider that for over a year, DLSS was crap. So it wasn't a selling feature.
It was only with DLSS 2.0 that things started to improve. But even the first versions of DLSS 2.0 had issues, like ghosting and blurriness in movement.
And for a while, there where only a handful of games that even used DLSS 2.0.
Eventually with DLSSS 2.2, things improved further, both in image quality and with the amount of games that use it.

RTX was also very bad at the start. Remember BFV with RTX required a 2080Ti, at the time it cost 1200$ or more, just to run at 1080p60fps.
Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had a 2070S. And I barely ever used RTX because the performance hit was so big, it made most games unplayable.
Ampere did a lot to improve performance, including ray-tracing. But it's Ada Lovelace that made it more feasible.
And then there is the issues where in several games, there is almost no graphical difference in using RTX. Although in some, it can be a significant improvement.

So for several years, RTX and DLSS were not game changing features. So a lot of sites didn't gave it much attention.
In fact, most did what HU did, which is to benchmark all games using rasterization and then a few games with RT and/or DLSS on.

But the thing to consider is that HU doesn't care about criticizing tech companies, and neither Gamers Nexus. When something is bad, they will point the flaws in the product, and they have done so with GPUs from several manufacturers, CPUs, motherboards, monitors, etc.
For example, they gave a very positive review for the RTX 4090. A top end product, expensive, but with performance to match. But they criticized the 4080 because it's price was not adjusted to the performance.
But when criticizing an nvidia product, they always get flagged by nvidia fanboys, who think the company can do no wrong.

You can be sure there will be people that will try to defend this 3060 8GB, just because they are nvidia fanboys.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Tech Nvidia not to fuck around.
Just dont buy these things.

The RTX4080 is absolutely suffering Nvidia will almost certainly do a price cut at CES or GTC.

Even scalpers are getting what they fucking derserve.

RTX4080-SCALPER-hero2.jpg

And its even better.
Newegg no longer accepts returns of GPU because these fucking scalpers abused the system.....yes they fucked all of us over....but they fucked themselves over even more.

RTX4080-REFUND.png

LordCBH

I hate Nvidias practice of releasing two completely different SKU‘s and giving them the same name. It’s scummy and pathetic.

Mr Moose

Website has it at 20 pounds cheaper than the Gainward 3060 12 GB they are selling.
I got mine (Asus 3060 12GB) for £324 on Amazon a month or so ago. I am checking Amazon again now and even 3050s are more expensive, wtf lmao how are prices still this bad :messenger_weary:

You can be sure there will be people that will try to defend this 3060 8GB, just because they are nvidia fanboys.

I'll tell ya what's going on. Rather than cut the 3060's price below the MSRP like AMD is doing, they are making a worse SKU that's probably intended to be 20-30 bucks cheaper.

smbu2000

AMD will also sell a 7900XTX and a worse but barely cheaper 7900XT which is not better at all. XT and XTX are imho also sort of hiding what performance difference it will give you just as much as 4060 12GB and 4060 8GB does.
I suppose A750 to A770 makes at least a bit more sense.
Naming rules are rather nonsensical and intentionally intransparent. Customers should not have to research stuff to understand what they are getting. Same number should be the exact same performance. Adding some letters means also nothing to many customers. So eg Ti as a differentiator is imho also quite empty.
AMD is basically selling the faulty dies of the XTX as lower end/lower cost XT parts. If the chip isn’t able to be used on the XTX then it is pushed down to the XT.
It’s the same as what other manufacturers do. The RTX 3090 was the same chip as the RTX 3080, but the 3080 had some parts disabled as they weren’t able to be used on the 3090.
The cards still have different names though so it is easy to tell them apart and understand the differences in performance.

In this case Nvidia is naming the card exactly the same which causes confusion. A non-tech person sees it is a 3060, checks reviews for 3060 cards and buys this gimped card based on those reviews.
It’s exactly like what nvidia said they were doing when they “unlaunched” the 4080 12GB card as it would cause confusion with the 16GB 4080 but with a huge performance difference.
Now here they are doing that same thing two weeks later.

It’s exactly like what nvidia said they were doing when they “unlaunched” the 4080 12GB card as it would cause confusion with the 16GB 4080 but with a huge performance difference.

That was the excuse nv gave... but the unlaunch was obviously because AMD went cheaper with the 7900 XT than nv thought they would.

jaysius

Banned
How is this worse than the AMD cards with 8GB???

Meanwhile in Canada we're dealing with 12GB 3060's going for $520 and that's not a good price, even with our weak dollar.

Video card retailers except for a few random sales still think they're in the days of heavy GPU demand mining days.

Skifi28

How is this worse than the AMD cards with 8GB???

Meanwhile in Canada we're dealing with 12GB 3060's going for $520 and that's not a good price, even with our weak dollar.

Video card retailers except for a few random sales still think they're in the days of heavy GPU demand mining days.

Like I've said many times, Canada should realocate to Yurop. We have far too much in common.

DaGwaphics

Looks like a lousy card for the money. When I first heard about the 3060 8gb I assumed that it would be a 256bit card made from chips that weren't quite good enough for the 3060ti. I expected the GPU compute to at least match or even maybe slightly surpass the existing 3060. Yikes.

That's cuz retailers don't want to lose money since it's probably selling somewhat. And nv's not going to help until they are ready to sell a 40 series card at anywhere near that price point... which might be awhile...

Looks like a lousy card for the money. When I first heard about the 3060 8gb I assumed that it would be a 256bit card made from chips that weren't quite good enough for the 3060ti. I expected the GPU compute to at least match or even maybe slightly surpass the existing 3060. Yikes.

Physically GA106 is192 bit. So to get to 8 GB cutting it to 128 bit is the only option.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That's cuz retailers don't want to lose money since it's probably selling somewhat. And nv's not going to help until they are ready to sell a 40 series card at anywhere near that price point... which might be awhile...

Physically GA106 is 192 bit so to get to 8 GB cutting it to 128 bit is the only option.
I thought it would be the chip used in the 3070/3060ti, just an even lower binned version. Nvidia has done it before, some of the 2060s were broken 2080s. It would have made more sense that way, at least they could have held the performance level while maybe offering their partners a card that was more profitable to produce thanks to the reduced memory. This is just a poor product all around. Should have had a 3050ti badge and price as has already been suggested.

Let's hope they aren't trying to lower the perceived performance level of the 3060 to better position the 4060, yikes if that were the case.

Last edited:

proandrad

This won't end until AMD makes a better product than Nvidia. No one that spends near or over $1000 for a GPU is interested in game benchmarks from CS:GO or Valorant or Far Cry X that came out 3 years ago, They are looking for performance in performance heavy titles with ray tracing, and Nvidia is the performance king in these games. FSR can't be 6-12 months behind in feature set compared to DLSS, it needs match or be better at any given time.

I thought it would be the chip used in the 3070/3060ti, just an even lower binned version. Nvidia has done it before, some of the 2060s were broken 2080s. It would have made more sense that way, at least they could have held the performance level while maybe offering their partners a card that was more profitable to produce thanks to the reduced memory. This is just a poor product all around. Should have had a 3050ti badge and price as has already been suggested.

They are doing that actually... the 3060 can be GA104 based. But it's probably no more of a dumping ground for chips that can't handle being a 3060 Ti... and the memory controllers are one thing they are cutting further.

My guess is that the MSRP is $299. Like I said, this is most likely the alternative to actually cutting the 3060 12 GB's MSRP.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They are doing that actually... the 3060 can be GA104 based. But it's probably no more of a dumping ground for chips that can't handle being a 3060 Ti... and the memory controllers are one thing they are cutting further.

My guess is that the MSRP is $299. Like I said, this is most likely the alternative to actually cutting the 3060 12 GB's MSRP.

All with less performance than a rx6600 that can be had for $200.

DaGwaphics

6600 MSRP is $329. That it's been cut to $200 is what nv is trying to avoid.

Old products should get price cuts. Nvidia could have just chosen to keep the original MSRP, this move is worse than that. Now they hold the original MSRP but you get less performance. LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom