• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4060 and RTX 4060 Ti Announced - Coming May 24 for $299

Draugoth

Gold Member
  • RTX 4060 = $299
  • RTX 4060 TI (8 GB) = $399
  • RTX 4060 TI (16 GB) = $499

X56xx1d.jpg

Last edited:

Skifi28

An 8GB 4060 is the 3GB 1060 all over again. Just stay away if you don't want to regret it a little later. An 8GB ti is just puzzling, who is this card really for? It shouldn't exist as it makes no sense. I imagine it's just there to fill the price gap.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

8GB vram is not the problem. Most 8gb ram card are playing games at 4k ultra textures easy if the games are even barely optimized. And not all 8gb ram card are meant to played at 4K.

Skifi28

99% of games don't need more than 8 GB.

Not everyone is playing the latest games.
Not now, but I imagine one is upgrading their GPU wanting it to last for years down the line. 8GB is borderline now, they're in for a very bad time in the not so distant future. Much like how many 3GB 1060 owners saw their cards performing worse and worse due to memory while their 6GB brothers keep on trucking even until now. We've all been here before having had the exact same arguments about memory, history is only repeating itself.

Having said that, I can live with the "basic" 4060 having 8GB, but a 4060ti with that memory and bandwidth is just sad.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is barely better than a 3060 and you all think this is a great deal. It would be a good deal if it had the usual performance uplift from last gen, but it's what a 15% uplift. Are you freakin kidding me? You can talk about frame generation all you want, but that doesn't count when you still have the same lag (even more so actually).

Nvidia suckered you... and here I go back to gaming on my 4090!

Last edited:

Leonidas

I have a 3060 Ti 8GB, would the 4060 Ti 16GB be a worthy update?
If you're thinking about the 16 GB at $499, I'd suggest saving an extra $100 and getting a 4070 as you'd get an even bigger performance boost. 3060 Ti to 4060 Ti is only around 20% extra performance, while 3060 Ti to 4070 would be closer to 50% extra performance.
Not now, but I imagine one is upgrading their GPU wanting it to last for years down the line. 8GB is borderline now, they're in for a very bad time in the not so distant future. Much like how many 3GB 1060 owners that saw their cards performing worse and worse due to memory while their 6GB brothers keep on trucking even until now. We've all been here before having had the exact same arguments about memory, history is only repeating itself.

Having said that, I can live with the "basic" 4060 having 8GB, but a 4060ti with that memory and bandwidth is just sad.
It's good to have the choice. If you're okay with 8 GB on 4060, I don't see why you think it's an issue on the Ti.
They don't need the latest card either then.
Why not? Imagine someone gaming at 1080p on something like a 1060 or 1660, they'd finally get access to things like ray-tracing and a massive performance uplift along with more VRAM and have the option of frame generation. That's a much improved experience.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Looks not wroth it outside fake frame generator
Depends on what cards people are currently rocking and what their budget is

But no don't upgrade for the frame generation only

I know someone still rolling on a 1060 of all cards and he was waiting for the prices of these cards to build some sort of budget gaming PC, curious to find out his thoughts now with those prices.

Skifi28

It's good to have the choice. If you're okay with 8 GB on 4060, I don't see why you think it's an issue on the Ti.
It's not really a choice though, mostly just a trap for less informed people. Might as well release 6Gb versions of the 4070 and then blame those that bought it when they complain games are unplayable . "Hey, you made the choice to save money, it's your fault".

It's much worse for the 4060ti because it's a mid-range card, not entry level. People going for it will also likely target higher resolutions making those 8GB all the more painful.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Why not? Imagine someone gaming at 1080p on something like a 1060 or 1660, they'd finally get access to things like ray-tracing and a massive performance uplift along with more VRAM and have the option of frame generation. That's a much improved experience.
300/400 euros for 1080p gaming you say?

Ray Tracing you say? That demands extra VRAM doesn't it?

I have a 1060 and the only thing the 4060 makes me feel is an urge to switch to consoles.

I had the 6GB model for many years now. I'm not going to pay 300/400 euros+ for a measly 2GB upgrade in 2023.

12GB should be the minimum these days, for the cheapest cards.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
These cards aren't cheap for the performance they bring. In fact they're already more expensive per-FPS than some street prices of the previous generation.

Further notes:

1 - The RTX 4060 Ti is hardly better than the RTX 3060 Ti. From Nvidia's own cherry-picked tests it's only some 5-10% faster. The only time it gets better is when frame generation gets turned on. In which case FSR3 on a RTX3060 Ti may run very similar to DLSS3 on the 4060 Ti.

2 - The RTX 4060 non-Ti is quite a bit slower than the RTX 3060 Ti. Don't get the 4060 over the 3060 Ti if the price is similar, you're only losing value and longevity.

3 -These cards have 8GB RAM, they're doomed from the start. The only exception goes to the $500 model with 16GB, which performs much worse than the similarly priced RX 6800XT.

Whomever was hoping for RTX 3080 performance for <$500 is up for some disappointment. These cards don't even reach RTX3070 performance numbers.

flipsake

Neo Member
Really pleased to see them keep the same price accross the 2060 and 3060 generations, that money doesn't quite buy you what it used to so its nice to see.

Midn1ght

If you're thinking about the 16 GB at $499, I'd suggest saving an extra $100 and getting a 4070 as you'd get an even bigger performance boost. 3060 Ti to 4060 Ti is only around 20% extra performance, while 3060 Ti to 4070 would be closer to 50% extra performance.
Thanks for that!

The 4070 is tempting but I literally had someone offering me 280 for my 3060 Ti yesterday, getting a 20% increase + access to Frame Generation for an extra 220 is tempting but I'll probably pass.

Leonidas

300/400 euros for 1080p gaming you say?
Yes, 4060-series seems to be designed for 1080p.

Ray Tracing you say? That demands extra VRAM doesn't it?
I had an 8 GB 3070 for nearly two years and I tried out numerous games with RT and they all ran fine, and I was playing at 1440p (with DLSS Quality). 8 GB is probably fine for 98% of RT titles out today at 1080p.
Someone with a 1060 can run 0% of those games at acceptable frame-rates.

I have a 1060 and the only thing the 4060 makes me feel is an urge to switch to consoles.
1060 is a 7 year old card...

I had one at launch, great 1080p card for it's time. Whenever I'm not happy with a certain class of GPU I move up a tier. I went from 1060 to 2070 (in 2018). And since I care about performance I upgraded several more times since.

I'd never switch to a console. I do have a PS5 though, but it's a secondary gaming machine. I'll always be PC first since the PC is a better platform for me personally.

It's going to be funny seeing the 3060 12GB beat the brand new 4060 8GB.
It will be even more funny to see the 3060 12 GB beat the brand new RX 7600 :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Do any of you all think nvidia will ever release a 16gb vram 4070?
No, because of the 192-bit bus.

winjer

Gold Member
554 GB/s effective memory bandwidth? And people thought 4060ti will be BW limited.

That is a bullshit number for PR. Reality is more complicated.
The reality is that a 32MB cache like that should have a 50% hit rate, at 1080p. Which supposedly can reduce bandwidth traffic by a significant margin. By the slides NVidia provided, it should do it by around 40-50%.
But the problem is that at higher resolutions, cache hit rate is reduced. So at 1440p, the hit rate should be around 40%. And at 4K, is should be around 25%.

rCDmXIY.jpg

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Right on! We really needed to have some decent affordable cards this gen. Even if they're VRAM limited and not suitable for 4K. There's just a huge, hungry market for a $300 GPU with modern features right now.

I just built a new system with a 4070Ti, so this is not for me, but it keeps the dream of the $1000 gaming PC alive a little longer and I am all for it.

Bojji

I have a 3060 Ti 8GB, would the 4060 Ti 16GB be a worthy update?

You will get better performance in VRAM limited games and thanks to DLSS 3 in games that support it. Otherwise it's just slight upgrade.

vH5az6S.jpg

554 GB/s effective memory bandwidth? And people thought 4060ti will be BW limited.

It's bullshit/magic PR number. 4070 vs 3080 shows that with higher resolutions L2 cache can't help that much when memory BW is much lower. Same will happen with this GPUs vs 3060ti/3070/3070ti.

You will get better performance in VRAM limited games and thanks to DLSS 3 in games that support it. Otherwise it's just slight upgrade.

It's bullshit/magic PR number. 4070 vs 3080 shows that with higher resolutions L2 cache can't help that much when memory BW is much lower. Same will happen with this GPUs vs 3060ti/3070/3070ti.
To be fair I would expect MUCH BIGGER difference. The RTX 3080 (12GB version) has 384-bit bus and a whopping 914 GB/s of memory BW, however the RTX4070 is not that far off, with only a 192-bit bus and 504 GB/s

These prices are meaningless without 3rd party reviews and benchmarks that will quantify the exact performance.

I'm hoping to finally upgrade my 1660 ti which I bought 4 years ago. Currently the best option seems to be the discounted RX 6800. The 4060 ti 16gb Vs Rx 6800 will be an interesting one I feel at the 500usd mark. Not to mention the possible Rx 7700 xt which should be revealed in the next few months.

Last edited:

Bojji

To be fair I would expect MUCH BIGGER difference. The RTX 3080 (12GB version) has 384-bit bus and a whopping 914 GB/s of memory BW, however the RTX4070 is not that far off, with only a 192-bit bus and 504 GB/s

Yeah, L2 is doing good work without it card would be massacred. But what people are saying is that there will be settings that will make 3060ti faster than 4060ti, just by having higher memory bandwidth. Just like 4070 is about on par with 3080 in 1440 but loses by few % in 4k.

Andrenicks

Neo Member
I hate Nvidia's new course but finally a card within 120w with the performance I need, I really think the 4060 will fit in my case unless Amd churns out something better in the same power consumption range.

Top Bottom