• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V Already Runs At 60FPS On PC, “Max Payne 3 Team Handling The PC Version

Well, considering I think it's still impossible for vanilla GTA4 to run 60fps except for rare occasions, this is a good thing. Looking forward to ENB and other mods on GTA5. :D

I still expect a top of the line CPU to reach 60fps with maximum LOD, if that's even possible. Unity is impossible to get running at 60fps consistently.

Open world games for the majority are very punitive on the CPU and until DX12 comes out we will have to tolerate drops here and here when the LOD is set to a high value.

CPU's on PC doesn't seem to be the problem with Watch Dogs and Unity. Well, if I remember Watch Dogs requires a beefy CPU, but even that was quite possible.

For those who can, the game will be insane maxed out. And maybe with some mods.
As long as you play it. It's insane to me that people are able to create such a great game with soo much content, so much detail and such great characters.
Good that it's coming to pc.

Kezen

Banned
Is it really impossible? Before any driver updates for the game, gamegpu measured a 98 minimum framerate for the game on their highest-end configuration:
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Assassins_Creed_Unity-test-ac_proz.jpg

Now, it's unclear what parts of it they used for their tests, but 98 FPS gives you a pretty huge buffer before dropping below 60.

And that's for Unity, not a last-gen port. I don't think you'll need all that much to run GTAV at 60 FPS.

The problem is that this is the sequence they used :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtmnXYVZOeA

This is nowhere near the most crowed area of the game and I very much doubt (but I do not have actual data to back this up) a monster CPU could handle a 60fps locked in those circumstances.

GTA 5 on PS4/XBO also features a very dynamic city with a lot of traffic and pedestrians, it's shaping up to be a very CPU hungry game, but using console-level LOD it might be much easier to reach 60fps. I assume there will be a higher LOD for PC and I wonder if it will ever be possible to have a 60fps experience.

CPU's on PC doesn't seem to be the problem with Watch Dogs and Unity. Well, if I remember Watch Dogs requires a beefy CPU, but even that was quite possible.
That was a genuine surprise : Watch Dogs wasn't nearly as CPU punitive as I thought it would be but the CPU takes center-stage still in many scenarios, Watch Dogs drops sometimes below 60 on my PC (970/4770K stock) and my CPU is always the culprit (GPU usage dropping to 80%).

Nzyme32

This is nowhere near to be the most crowed area of the game and I very much doubt (but I do not have actual data to back this up) a monster CPU could handle a 60fps locked in those circumstances.

GTA 5 on PS4/XBO also features a very dynamic city with a lot of traffic and pedestrians, it's shaping up to be a very CPU hungry game, but using console-level LOD it might be much easier to reach 60fps. I assume there will be a higher LOD for PC.

Are there any videos of traffic density as large as in the reveal trailer? Honestly not really seen anything like it from what bits I have seen

rothbart

Did people expect anything else?

I'm pretty sure anyone that played GTA IV on PC might have had doubts... it ran like frozen poop unless you either cranked the quality way down or had a God-level machine. If you expected it to look great AND run at 60fps based on GTA IV's performance, you were crazy. I'm glad to see they are doing a better job. That said, I'm not triple dipping
until it's under $20.

Vuze

"Already Runs at 60fp"... pretty meaningless without further details lol

But if it's true that the MP3 port studio handles it, that's good news.

Good to see after all the years of shoddy PC ports Rockstar finally seem to have organized an internal team responsible for handling them properly. Though I did still enjoy GTA4 on PC despite it being a terrible port as I luckily didn't have too many issues running it.

So in other words

E8uS18d.gif

Kezen

Banned
Are there any videos of traffic density as large as in the reveal trailer? Honestly not really seen anything like it from what bits I have seen

I don't know how it stacks up against previous trailers but it's certainly a very "busy" game so to speak. There are less pedestrians than in Unity methinks but traffic is definitely impressive.

Branson

Something will be fucked up. Something is always fucked up for launches. Best idea would be to wait and see if the port actually is well optimized.

mclem

I'm sure it won't run at 60FPS on my PC. Therefore Rockstar are EVIL LYING LIARS.

(I mean, it's a good sentiment, but without telling us what PC it's 60Hz on, it's not particularly useful information!)

Edit: In fact, as a developer myself, I can't help but be very suspicious. A developer would be specific, dammit! It might be, of course, that they were specific and the news site changed the description to make it more understandable to their readers.

This "news" means absolutely nothing since they didn't disclose the specs of the rig, nor did they disclose what graphics settings they were using. This "news", as it is now, is merely a PR stunt. Yawn.

shandy706

It could be 1TB for all I care so long as it runs as good as MP3 did on PC.

LOL, no kidding.

100GB install size wouldn't even make me blink. Give me those 4k level textures and every technical effect/option in the book.

This game looks incredible on current-gen consoles and I'll pick it up down the road on PC. I'm sending out my EVGA GTX 780 for a GTX 980 this weekend, so I look forward to a discounted GTA V and possibly some early mods in late 2015.

This is nowhere near the most crowed area of the game and I very much doubt (but I do not have actual data to back this up) a monster CPU could handle a 60fps locked in those circumstances.

GTA 5 on PS4/XBO also features a very dynamic city with a lot of traffic and pedestrians, it's shaping up to be a very CPU hungry game, but using console-level LOD it might be much easier to reach 60fps. I assume there will be a higher LOD for PC and I wonder if it will ever be possible to have a 60fps experience.

That was a genuine surprise : Watch Dogs wasn't nearly as CPU punitive as I thought it would be but the CPU takes center-stage still in many scenarios, Watch Dogs drops sometimes below 60 on my PC (970/4770K stock) and my CPU is always the culprit (GPU usage dropping to 80%).

Who cares about Watch_dogs and Unity performance. Ubisoft did a shit job on them, and usually does on PC. If the PS4 can run it at 1080p/30fps than a decent PC with a decent development team shouldn't need a very high spec computer to get 60.

MP3 did a good job at using the hardware it was running on, so I assume the team behind this port will do a decent job. There isn't anywhere near the amount of traffic/people in a given scene in GTAV as there is in some of the spots in Unity.

alf717

I'm sure it won't run at 60FPS on my PC. Therefore Rockstar are EVIL LYING LIARS.

(I mean, it's a good sentiment, but without telling us what PC it's 60Hz on, it's not particularly useful information!)

The specs are the next step but for them to come out and say you can get 60FPS is really good to hear. Recent PC ports have locked games to 30FPS.

Kezen

Banned
The specs are the next step but for them to come out and say you can get 60FPS is really good to hear. Recent PC ports have locked games to 30FPS.
I don't remember many recent PC versions with a 30fps lock.

Who cares about Watch_dogs and Unity performance. Ubisoft did a shit job on them, and usually does on PC. If the PS4 can run it at 1080p/30fps than a decent PC with a decent development team shouldn't need a very high spec computer to get 60.

MP3 did a good job at using the hardware it was running on, so I assume the team behind this port will do a decent job. There isn't anywhere near the amount of traffic/people in a given scene in GTAV as there is in some of the spots in Unity.

Ubisoft is not the best at doing PC ports, that's clear but Unity does not run as it does without reason. It's genuinely a very impressive game with a lot going on, I wasn't surprised nor dismayed by the performance I got. If GTA 5 runs better on PC it's not solely because they handled it with more care but also because the game is less ambitious technically. I expect it to be demanding but less so than Unity.

Leb

Given that the next-gen versions can't even hold 30fps during normal gameplay, I have certain concerns as to whether we'll be able to hold 60fps...

I'm going to try to not get my hopes up- I'm expecting shoddy performance, no graphics options, 1080 lock, "console limited" effects, and other nastiness.

This way, if it turns out amazing, then I'll be completely happy and won't have my expectations shot down lol.

mtodavk

YEEEESSSSSSS!!

Max Payne 3 was easily one of the smoothest pc experiences I've had in recent memory. This gives me some hope for GTA5....haven't played it since the ps3 release, but I'll be getting this on day one for sure.

Kezen

Banned
Given that the next-gen versions can't even hold 30fps during normal gameplay, I have certain concerns as to whether we'll be able to hold 60fps...

The LOD used on consoles isn't great at all, 60fps should not be much of a problem with this setting. What I'm worried about is when we start to push it further on PC, what will happen to our glorious 60fps ? :(

Saying a PC game runs at 60 FPS is a meaningless statement unless accompanied with the specifications and settings this is accomplished with.

Max Payne 3 was good, hopefully this will be as well then.

Gestault

I understand the gap between a well-optimized version and not, but I wish there was some clarification of what it means to run at 60 fps "on PC." Does that mean at minimum specs? At recommended? I see this outside of rumored performance status claims like this, and I always scratch my head in response.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I wonder how big the game will be. I get the feeling people with crappy internet (like myself) may as well not bother but I'd love to be proven wrong.

BPoole

That's great news considering I can max out (minus MSAA) Max Payne 3 in 3200 x 1800 with a single 290.

GTAV will probably be a lot more CPU intensive though

Top Bottom