• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster in development as well as Multiplayer Project based on Horizon

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just saw that the MP Horizon game is for PS5 and PC. So here we go. Day 1 PS5 exclusives on PC. Something I was told would never happen.

Not that I am complaining. I just called that this was the end game when they first announced HZD for PC and Herman said the usual 'This doesnt mean every game will come to PC' bs.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just saw that the MP Horizon game is for PS5 and PC. So here we go. Day 1 PS5 exclusives on PC. Something I was told would never happen.

Not that I am complaining. I just called that this was the end game when they first announced HZD for PC and Herman said the usual 'This doesnt mean every game will come to PC' bs.
Do we know if it's like factions or included with the remaster?

EDMIX

It’s not that they are remastering games.

It’s the rate at which they are remastering games.

I don't see any evidence its any more or any less....

So what rate? lol

We got tons of remasters on PSP, PS3, PS4 etc why would they not have remasters on PS5? That has been a big part of their business for literally decades. So unless you got some crystal ball, you wouldn't even know until the ending of this gen if its more or less etc. Even with how we got collections during the PS3 gen, its not like during the PS4 gen everything was the same regarding that.

As in, we didn't get a Killzone Collection, but got Uncharted. We didn't get a God Of War collection during PS4, but did during PS3 and only got God Of War 3 remastered.

Shit, we didn't even get Infamous 1 and 2 remastered, yet during PS3 we got the Sly games remastered.

What rate are you talking about and prove your point, enough with the fake shit of claiming something when you objectively can literally prove it by examples. None of this is new to Sony and even the "rate" you are talking about is generally how we got remasters.

1 generation later? Sure. 1 year after? Sure we got that too...none of that is new to Sony sir.

Last Of Us remaster 1 year after release on PS3. Ghost Of Tsushima remaster 1 year after release, oh but the 5 year game being remastered has you concerned?

StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige The 25 games is unlikely remastered or VR stuff as that would put it deep above 25.

That isn't what they are talking about and internally they likely see remasters as completely different things, as in not part of normal game development to mention.

For example, there is over 20 PSVR2 games that we know of in development, so....I doubt Sony is including any of that shit in that.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So, laughing aside, we need to get used to this.

Sony’s commitment to AAA single player games is to be lauded, but sadly there approach is so risk averse as to be suffocating.

Their entire output for the next ten years or so will be incremental improvements to three titles; HZD, GoW and TloU.
Jason's article last year that revealed TLOU remake's existence was about this actually. As always, people trashed him but time has proven him right.

I don't know what's worse. Sony's shitty decisions, or the people that defend their shitty decisions.
Sonys shitty decisions can be excused by business reasons. Profits over innovation seems to be the mantra over there.

People on hardcore forums defending this have no excuse. We are not casuals. We dont play fortnite or even CoD. We play the best of the best which used to be Sonys first party. Now they are making remakes and last gen games, and people are ok with that? THAT is the problem. If Sony got pushback for these remakes and last gen games, they would not be doing them.

SlimySnake

Do we know if it's like factions or included with the remaster?
Its a separate project.
Publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developer Guerrilla Games are currently working on a remastered version of Horizon Zero Dawn for PlayStation 5, as well as a Horizon online multiplayer project for PlayStation 5 and PC, according to a report by MP1st.

The remastered release will reportedly feature an improved lighting system, overhauled textures, and better animations, as well as new character models to match those found in the sequel Horizon Forbidden West. The accessibility options, quality of life improvements, and graphics modes of the sequel are also said to be part of the new release.

The online multiplayer project is said to feature customization around the various tribes of the Horizon franchise, however those details were not verified by MP1st.
I find it hilarious that they are remaking the character models to MATCH those found in the sequel. Umm, maybe try to exceed PS4 quality visuals for a remake in 2023? I cant believe I posted HFW screenshots in TLOU remake threads. I deserve this.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nah. Just add the magic-increas-price words “from the ground up” and they can easily ask 70$.
It's funny we recently got a remaster of a remaster that got a 70 euro /100 euro edition, and still seeing people believe the price will only be 40 euro because any higher price is a mad man.

I mean, look at how TLOU part 1 sold, Jimbo would be a mad man not to release this game the same price.

Especially given how consistent they have been with price hikes when it comes to games, upgrades and the console. All during inflation.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member

So what rate? lol

We got tons of remasters on PSP, PS3, PS4 etc why would they not have remasters on PS5? That has been a big part of their business for literally decades. So unless you got some crystal ball, you wouldn't even know until the ending of this gen if its more or less etc. Even with how we got collections during the PS3 gen, its not like during the PS4 gen everything was the same regarding that.

As in, we didn't get a Killzone Collection, but got Uncharted. We didn't get a God Of War collection during PS4, but did during PS3 and only got God Of War 3 remastered.

Shit, we didn't even get Infamous 1 and 2 remastered, yet during PS3 we got the Sly games remastered.

What rate are you talking about and prove your point, enough with the fake shit of claiming something when you objectively can literally prove it by examples. None of this is new to Sony and even the "rate" you are talking about is generally how we got remasters.

1 generation later? Sure. 1 year after? Sure we got that too...none of that is new to Sony sir.

Last Of Us remaster 1 year after release on PS3. Ghost Of Tsushima remaster 1 year after release, oh but the 5 year game being remastered has you concerned?

StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige The 25 games is unlikely remastered or VR stuff as that would put it deep above 25.

That isn't what they are talking about and internally they likely see remasters as completely different things, as in not part of normal game development to mention.

For example, there is over 20 PSVR2 games that we know of in development, so....I doubt Sony is including any of that shit in that.
Honestly EDMIX, at this rate you should ask Sony for money. You are doing amazing damage control for free.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its a separate project.

I find it hilarious that they are remaking the character models to MATCH those found in the sequel. Umm, maybe try to exceed PS4 quality visuals for a remake in 2023? I cant believe I posted HFW screenshots in TLOU remake threads. I deserve this.
Nah dude, let's not waste too much money on this thing.

The less people and money are involved in this project, the better.

I don't want them distracted too much from horizon 3.

SlimySnake

Nah dude, let's not waste too much money on this thing.

The less people and money are involved in this project, the better.

I don't want them distracted too much from horizon 3.
they are already working on Horizon DLC according to Lance Reddick (Sylens voice actor). That means they are working on last gen DLC, a last gen remaster, and a MP project all the while helping with the VR title. Wasting time is their motto.

Horizon 3 is likely 2027 at best.

Topher

Gold Member
I said this in the other thread with the poll, but let me restate it here.

I want to send out an enormous "Fuck You" to everyone that bought The Last of Us remake. This is your fault.

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF

SSfox

Jason's article last year that revealed TLOU remake's existence was about this actually. As always, people trashed him but time has proven him right.

Sonys shitty decisions can be excused by business reasons. Profits over innovation seems to be the mantra over there.

People on hardcore forums defending this have no excuse. We are not casuals. We dont play fortnite or even CoD. We play the best of the best which used to be Sonys first party. Now they are making remakes and last gen games, and people are ok with that? THAT is the problem. If Sony got pushback for these remakes and last gen games, they would not be doing them.
The ironie on this, is that you would think the more they sell and money they earn, the better games they will make. But this is the total opposite happening right now, Sony is slighly going the EA/Acti route. Sony has never sold as much games as in PS4 era, and sold less in PS3 era, yet it seems the more they sell and earn money, the less innovative and more new games they will make.

At this point i just don't care anymore about Sony studios post Ragnarok, the PS5 is an awesome console hardware and also the best, but when it comes to games i'm more looking forward and excited about 3rd party devs, as it seems for Sony studios it's just gonna be a bunch of remakes of PS4 games, Gaas or other lame shit that fits Hermen and Jim gaming tastes.

I mean even if we talk about remake and they really wanted to do remake, there are so many games that could have been better for this. Jim and Hermen are even worse than i though at this point. Heck just releasing a remaster of Greek Saga of GOW (ps123 vita games) on PS5 would already be 9999999 more excting than this bulshit they're doing right there.

Gudji

Gold Member
they are already working on Horizon DLC according to Lance Reddick (Sylens voice actor). That means they are working on last gen DLC, a last gen remaster, and a MP project all the while helping with the VR title. Wasting time is their motto.

Wasting time lmao

Jonah Hill GIF

Last edited:

EDMIX

Honestly EDMIX, at this rate you should ask Sony for money. You are doing amazing damage control for free.

lol nahhh

I've had this same point for all publishers regarding remasters. Square, Capcom, MS, Ubisoft etc.

People tend to do this weird thing where they make it sound like a "trend" or the company is "now" doing this and don't provide points, ignore logic etc. I've said the same thing when someone brought up Capcom remaking games, I pointed out that they have always had a stable of remasters, ports, remakes every gen though.

They brought up remakes "instead of" and I brought up we still got RE7 and RE8. It has nothing to do with Sony, it has to do with this weird myth that gamers argue about remasters or remakes that I've never seen any evidence of that many see to say, more then prove.

Its not new, its not a "trend", its not "instead of" normal game development, isn't the same budget as normal game development etc. I said the same thing when cried about the 2 Yakuza remakes, you literally got 2 Judgement titles, 3 new Yakuza titles and that Fist Of The North Star game........cries over remake and says "instead of" lol Its always funny and never really makes a whole lot of sense when you actually start looking at team size, cost etc

A multiplayer mode/ game version of Horizon sounds completely awful. And it's totally the result of a board that is making decisions based off of numbers, and not caring about making something their audiences actually want to play.

Gudji

Gold Member
A multiplayer mode/ game version of Horizon sounds completely awful. And it's totally the result of a board that is making decisions based off of numbers, and not caring about making something their audiences actually want to play.
Why wouldn't people want to play monster hunter with giant robots? 🤔

Why wouldn't people want to play monster hunter with giant robots? 🤔
because it's tacked-on. Like adding a multiplayer mode for Uncharted, or Tomb Raider. Make an amazing third entry in Horizon and improve on the issues in 1 and 2. Don't waste time and resources turning your single player RPG into a multiplayer online service game. Monster Hunter has always been exactly what it is, multiplayer wasn't added later, it's a natural way for the game to be, because there's no story and you literally just pick your loadout and kill giant monsters with other people. Apples and oranges.

They could make it good, but on the off-chance it's not all that great, it waters down the Horizon brand and you've spent 2-3 years making this game your core audience doesn't want. It's a risky gamble.

Last edited:

Gudji

Gold Member
because it's tacked-on. Like adding a multiplayer mode for Uncharted, or Tomb Raider. Make an amazing third entry in Horizon and improve on the issues in 1 and 2. Don't waste time and resources turning your single player RPG into a multiplayer online service game. Monster Hunter has always been exactly what it is, multiplayer wasn't added later, it's a natural way for the game to be, because there's no story and you literally just pick your loadout and kill giant monsters with other people. Apples and oranges.
The team working on the MP is not the same team working on the single player. 🤷‍♂️

And btw monster hunter while the concept its cool the game plays like shit. Yes I've tried getting into it multiple times.

PS: I'm assuming its going to be something akin to MH maybe its more than that.

EDIT2: Everyone that I know that is a fan of horizon gets excited everytime we talk about a possible multiplayer game, so don't say "the core audience doesn't want that".

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Given the trend off big first party games at Sony, MS and Nintendo lately, most franchises get 1 mainline game now. Maybe 2 tops(?). The 360/PS3 days where you'd 3-4 franchise games all crammed in 7 years is long gone.

Last edited:
The team working on the MP is not the same team working on the single player. 🤷‍♂️

And btw monster hunter while the concept its cool the game plays like shit. Yes I've tried getting into it multiple times.

PS: I'm assuming its going to be something akin to MH maybe its more than that.
unless their dev team has magically doubled in the last 12 months, they're taking resources and time away from Horizon 3. And MH is a very technical game, sort of like a multiplayer-focused Fromsoft game. It's all down to taste, but MH has become one of the biggest game brands since MH World brought it into the mainstream.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The ironie on this, is that you would think the more they sell and money they earn, the better games they will make. But this is the total opposite happening right now, Sony is slighly going the EA/Acti route. Sony has never sold as much games as in PS4 era, and sold less in PS3 era, yet it seems the more they sell and earn money, the less innovative and more new games they will make.

At this point i just don't care anymore about Sony studios post Ragnarok, the PS5 is an awesome console hardware and also the best, but when it comes to games i'm more looking forward and excited about 3rd party devs, as it seems for Sony studios it's just gonna be a bunch of remakes of PS4 games, Gaas or other lame shit that fits Hermen and Jim gaming tastes.

I mean even if we talk about remake and they really wanted to do remake, there are so many games that could have been better for this. Jim and Hermen are even worse than i though at this point. Heck just releasing a remaster of Greek Saga of GOW (ps123 vita games) on PS5 would already be 9999999 more excting than this bulshit they're doing right there.
Yeah. Its not just that they went from selling 5 million units to 20 million units in a span of a gen. Their profits across the board has gone up to literally billions every year. I remember reading articles that they lost ALL the profits they had earned from the PS1 and PS2 gens after the losses from the first two years of the PS3 gen totaled almost $3 billion. That means they made $3 billion in profit from 1994-2006. They made $3 billion in profits in 2020 alone. Yes, AAA game costs have gone up but they are selling better than ever and almost 70% of the sales are on their own store so they dont have to worry about shipping costs or the 20% retailer cut. Thats 30% they get back on each game sale they wouldve otherwise had to pay in the PS1-PS3 years.

It all boils down to management. We wonder why a straight sequel takes 5 years to make over at GG. Then we find out they have a multiplayer project, a PC Port of HZD, and a last gen remaster in the works. Its poor management.

Both Herman and Jim Ryan have proven themselves to be just as inept as Matt Booty and Phil Spencer when it comes to first party management. Especially when it comes to next gen game development.

Gudji

Gold Member
unless their dev team has magically doubled in the last 12 months, they're taking resources and time away from Horizon 3. And MH is a very technical game, sort of like a multiplayer-focused Fromsoft game. It's all down to taste, but MH has become of the biggest game brands since World brought it mainstream.
Guerrila is 400+ people atm and keeps growing. They've been working on the MP game for years now and we've known about multiple teams inside the studios for the same time.

sainraja

People are free to complain. It is a forum. No one here has to defend it or should feel obligated. If people are complaining about it, then just ignore it.
If you really must complain then no one is stopping you lol. I am glad you've realized that this is a forum, on which you are responding to someone else's opinion that is different than your own, you know people are free to do that too, right? :D
I just think it's a bit silly to complain given there are so many other games and if you happen to have both consoles, there is plenty to play. So, if complaining helps you....sure go for it. Personally, I don't want this remake or need it but I don't see any reason to complain when I can simply not buy it.

EDIT
If this, somehow, affects the release of games that I am very interested in, I might feel otherwise but.....so far, I don't see a reason to think that it will; still, it is not something I have any control over. I do have control over what I decide to get or not.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Don't waste time and resources turning your single player RPG into a multiplayer online service game.

? They are making it as a option, I doubt its "turning" to that, its merely some other game in that universe. Did you also forget GG literally made Killzone series? You know...the IP with MP things going on? So their team knows networking and if they feel they have a good idea, why shoot this down even with zero knowledge about what it is?

So their team is big enough to have many projects going on and for all we know this is their half of GG that doesn't even fucking work on Horizon in the first place to then pretend they wasted a "resource".

The team that made HFW, is likely working on Horizon 3.

The remaster is likely being done by a smaller team, the MP is being done by that networking half. I'd rather they try and fail, then play it safe and do nothing new. Isn't that the thing many on here have been crying over btw? Nothing new, playing it safe etc, but get mad at a new MP concept? smh.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

They could make it good, but on the off-chance it's not all that great, it waters down the Horizon brand and you've spent 2-3 years making this game your core audience doesn't want. It's a risky gamble.

Tacked on means little effort has gone into the multiplayer. Since you haven't played the Horizon mutliplayer title, you have no room to say that it's tacked-on.

People actually enjoyed the Uncharted multiplayer title throughout the series. Even though some fans of the multiplayer feel that the latest one is a step back, it's still being played and easy to find matches.

That cannot be said about many multiplayer games that died over the years.

People even called TLOU MP tacked-on and they're making entire Fractions standalone multiplayer game.

Capcom has made many multiplayer games off the Resident Evil franchise and somehow people there's a high chance that it will kill the franchise to make a multiplayer game off of the Horizon series.

EDMIX

Tacked on means little effort has gone into the multiplayer. Since you haven't played the Horizon mutliplayer title, you have no room to say that it's tacked-on.

People actually enjoyed the Uncharted multiplayer title throughout the series. Even though some fans of the multiplayer feel that the latest one is a step back, it's still being played and easy to find matches.

That cannot be said about many multiplayer games that died over the years.

People even called TLOU MP tacked-on and they're making entire Fractions standalone multiplayer game.

Capcom has made many multiplayer games off the Resident Evil franchise and somehow people there's a high chance that it will kill the franchise to make a multiplayer game off of the Horizon series.

Agreed.

I'd say that term could never make sense with a team like GG that legit made those types of games before.

Its not like all they did was Horizon, so I don't know where this doubt is coming from or this whole "tacked on" claim.

tmlDan

What if its live service, monster hunter type co-op game? I'd say we have all called that starting with factions.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They should just make it DLC for Forbidden West. They were literally giving ZD away before, so just pulling a Druckman and using the original performances and updating the game to it's sequels standards (or closer, at least) and charge the same you'd charge for one of Assassin's Creed's bigger story DLC's.

I doubt I'll fuck with it otherwise.

A.Romero

It doesn't really bother me when they release games I don't care about because they are not getting money for me but it is disappointing that development time is being put into stuff like this. I mean, there is probably people who never got to play the original one but still.

Also it really makes look Sony bad given that they were the ones saying that they believe in generations given that 90% of their output has been xplatform and remakes/remasters.

As many have said before, there are other games that could use a remake like Killzone 2.

Killer8

I can see this being akin to something like the GTAV 'remaster' when it moved from PS3 to PS4. I don't really have a problem with this practice in principle. We have seen over the years movies go from VHS to DVD to Blu-ray to 4K. Why not games too? Everyone should welcome upgraded versions of media, if only to make it more accessible to future generations of people.

What matters is the price being right - which I have much less faith in here. There was nothing wrong with The Last of Us Part 1 existing, and by all accounts it's a very solid update. The issue was that it was $70. If Sony were to do this Horizon 'remaster' for $10-20, people would probably be okay with it.

That said, Horizon is fucking trash anyway.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It doesn't really bother me when they release games I don't care about because they are not getting money for me but it is disappointing that development time is being put into stuff like this. I mean, there is probably people who never got to play the original one but still.

Also it really makes look Sony bad given that they were the ones saying that they believe in generations given that 90% of their output has been xplatform and remakes/remasters.

As many have said before, there are other games that could use a remake like Killzone 2.

Yeah, I'm with you on the dev time. You always get told in retort "It's silly to think that they don't have separate teams working on this stuff, there's no overlap, project A isn't getting delayed because of project B," but like

It DOES affect things. Studios aren't going to put out multiple big releases close together, so even if something is 90% finished it isn't going to be released until a time when the forecasted profit is maximized.

And the fact that "some people missed the original," is making lemonade out of lemons, I think, given that ZD was free for a month, and can be actively played on the PS5. It's an even flimsier rationale to use here than it was for TLOU.

A.Romero

Yeah, I'm with you on the dev time. You always get told in retort "It's silly to think that they don't have separate teams working on this stuff, there's no overlap, project A isn't getting delayed because of project B," but like

It DOES affect things. Studios aren't going to put out multiple big releases close together, so even if something is 90% finished it isn't going to be released until a time when the forecasted profit is maximized.

And the fact that "some people missed the original," is making lemonade out of lemons, I think, given that ZD was free for a month, and can be actively played on the PS5. It's an even flimsier rationale to use here than it was for TLOU.

Yes, they do have limited capacity. Even if it's not the core team working on the remakes, it could be time used for a different remake too.

We just have to deal with the fact that these games are not for us. It's almost as if they were working on mobile ports of stuff: there is market for that but it's simply not for most of us.

skit_data

I’m starting to think these recent two (TLOUP1 and Horizon ZD) are a way to retain talent within the studios while still keeping hands busy inbetween ”main games”. Low risk - ok-ish reward instead of seeing the developers leave while the main games are in pre-production or not all developers in the studio are needed. Would make kinda sense, given how devs seem to change workplace pretty often in this industry.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Here is the document that supposedly leaked the game's existence.

1664819446744899.png

New Kojima game, new survival horror game and a new vehicle combat game from Destruction All Stars dev confirmed.

splattered

I'm not trying to be negative, but i would be really surprised if remaster/MP games are PS5 only... both Sony and MS still seem to be really stuck on cross-gen

SlimySnake

I'm not trying to be negative, but i would be really surprised if remaster/MP games are PS5 only... both Sony and MS still seem to be really stuck on cross-gen
They will be cross gen. Just wont be releasing on last gen. Same as TLOU and Gotham Knights.

TBH, since this list is about soon to come titles, I wouldnt be surprised if all these games are last gen. DS2 being fake next gen might be the nail in the coffin for me.

Roxkis_ii

Gold Member
I'm not going to buy a Ps5 remake of a Ps4 game. I don't care what features they add.

Easy.

What I don't userstand is why people are upset about this, like they are being forced to buy it.

xHunter

Here is the document that supposedly leaked the game's existence.

1664819446744899.png

New Kojima game, new survival horror game and a new vehicle combat game from Destruction All Stars dev confirmed.
Love that a "remaster" from a game was the only thing leaked. There are 2 survival horror games that no one somehow mentioned lmao.

Ogbert

So what rate? lol

I’m not entirely sure why you’re shilling so hard for this.

I don’t really like the practise of remastering in general. You’re using examples of how Sony does it, to demonstrate that….Sony does it.

A HZD remaster adds absolutely nothing. It’s pointless. We already have the 60fps patch.

If that excites you then you have a lot to look forward to. With any luck, Forbidden West should get a remaster in three years time, just after God of War gets remade with Ragnarok assets.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t really like the practise of remastering in general.
I don’t mind remaster/remake as long as it’s with games that cannot be played on modern systems like ICO or Muramasa.

Games on PS4 need nothing more than PS5 update, more than that it just waste.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
how about we completely fucking obliterate the gaming industry and then remake that? how does that sound? because we have lost our fucking way.
Considering how most remakes tend to be worse than the original, you might wanna be careful for what you wish for

Tripolygon

Banned
A HZD remaster adds absolutely nothing. It’s pointless. We already have the 60fps patch.
It gives the developers something to do. People always forget that part.

Guerilla is a massive studio and not everyone is working on the Horizon FW DLC, not everyone is working on the other unannounced title. Also, the 60fps patch is still the PS4 game and does not take advantage of PS5 features like DualSense neither does it include all the accessibility features FW had.

Ogbert

I don’t mind remaster/remake as long as it’s with games that cannot be played on modern systems like ICO or Muramasa.

Games on PS4 need nothing more than PS5 update, more than that it just waste.
Completely agree. The patch was great.

Top Bottom