• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next MAD MAX film to start filming later this year in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo

Miller, Hardy and Theron to return. Rumor originates from Page 13 in the Herald Sun times. The "Exclusive" article is behind a subscription pay wall but madmaxmovies.com have the write up:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ma...3/news-story/f429aee32458125286de781ea6f40a31
Mad Max prequel coming to Australia

Alice Coster, Herald Sun
September 16, 2016 12:00am

FUEL up! The next Mad Max is returning to Australia for the latest instalment of the dystopian juggernaut.

The prequel to Mad Max: Fury Road starring TOM HARDY will be filmed in and around Broken Hill. Director GEORGE MILLER is known for keeping any developments with his projects closely guarded secrets, but Page 13 has the inside scoop from a highly placed onset source.

Pre-production is gearing up on the multi-million-dollar action-packed Warner Bros franchise, with NSW’s Broken Hill Studios Miller’s first choice for shooting, which could start as soon as later this year. Mad Max 4 was plagued by delays when extended rain turned the desert green and the uber director had to move location to Namibia.

But now Broken Hill is back on the barren horizon for the next post-apocalyptic instalment, with the working title Mad Max: The Wasteland. The studio all but confirmed the exciting news, before citing a well-rehearsed line: “We would certainly welcome Mad Max coming back to its spiritual home.”

The script is said to focus on the backstory of Furiosa, played by Oscar winner CHARLIZE THERON.

Hardy and Theron were famously at loggerheads during Fury Road. Method actor Hardy was said to be difficult, but nothing compared with high-maintenance Theron. But after the runaway success of Mad Max 4, the Monster actor is said to be chomping at the bit to be part of the blockbuster, opening her schedule and losing some of the ’tude.

No word yet if original road warrior MEL GIBSON will make an appearance but there would be no need to fear a Mad Mel tirade given the franchise’s scripts are famously word wastelands.

It's no secret Miller has 2 more Mad Max scripts with one being a Furiosa prequel, which is finished and likely this one being made. The other is focused on Max and is said to much more "bleaker".

I thought the Herald Sun was a good source but I've heard Page 13 is a bit more of a gossip column than anything so I don't know how accurate this news obviously is which is why I labeled it as a rumor and we'll never know until the studio announces otherwise? Still we just did get that B&W and new boxset announcement this week...

giphy.gif

How the fuck are they topping Fury Road

How are they getting another 250-400 million

And for fuck's sake stay away from Broken Hill

br3wnor

Awesome, be interesting how they're weaving in Hardy and Theron's character as a prequel though, they didn't know each other before meeting in Fury Road, right?

Either way, don't really care what the deal w/ the story is, just want another 2 hours of the eye candy.

munchie64

Would be pretty amazing, but don't really want Theron to return. But that's just me. Would eat more Mad Max up, especially if it was filmed here.

Simo

Awesome, be interesting how they're weaving in Hardy and Theron's character as a prequel though, they didn't know each other before meeting in Fury Road, right?

Either way, don't really care what the deal w/ the story is, just want another 2 hours of the eye candy.

The Furiosa script is said to span many years so it could act as a prequel for her origins and also a future tale where she meets Max again?

I can't fathom how they'd top Fury Road. An extended chase was the perfect backdrop for a car showcase/action spectacle. I don't know how they can maintain the same "high-octane" nonstop action with any other background, but that's why I'm not a Hollywood screenwriter, so I hope to be impressed.

GhaleonEB

Pretty much. Though I'd really prefer a sequel, rather than a prequel. I didn't realize the scripts went back to before Fury Road, rather than after. That's just kinda weird.

What? How? Where is the money coming from? Major budget slash or is WB willing to sink money in simply due to the critical acclaim and numerous awards of Fury Road?

Regardless, I'm down. Let's do this.

What? How? Where is the money coming from? Major budget slash or is WB willing to sink money in simply due to the critical acclaim and numerous awards of Fury Road?

Regardless, I'm down. Let's do this.

Could see it being 100-140 now, a large portion of the budget bloat was because of location shit

And never doubt the power of however many Oscars Fury Road got

Simo

Pretty much. Though I'd really prefer a sequel, rather than a prequel. I didn't realize the scripts went back to before Fury Road, rather than after. That's just kinda weird.

Originally Miller wanted to do a "Matrix Anthology" kind of deal for Mad Max with various stories across different mediums to help flesh out the Wasteland and the characters of Fury Road. Furiosa was going to be an anime prequel story and Miller was going to work directly on the game to be a prequel for Max prior to Fury Road.

Obviously all those set backs that happened to the film meant Miller could only focus on that and scrapped the other plans but after the success of Fury Road they've gone back and seemingly tweaked the anime script to be a bigger, live action fare. They also wrote 2 other scripts before they went to Namibia to shoot Fury Road in 2012 with one being the supposed "Wasteland" script.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm super skeptical. There are only 3 and half months left in the year. No way they would be able to keep this so under wraps considering how much of this would be practical effects based and filmed on location. And aren't Hardy AND Theron filming stuff around this time?

Calling bullshit.

Cerium

I don't understand how they do a Furiosa prequel that somehow still has Max in it and make it any good unless this also has a story set after Fury Road.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm super skeptical. There are only 3 and half months left in the year. No way they would be able to keep this so under wraps considering how much of this would be practical effects based and filmed on location. And aren't Hardy AND Theron filming stuff around this time?

Calling bullshit.
I could buy filming maybe next year but Hardy and Theron's schedule are probably made years in advance now. There's no way they could keep this a secret.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have to admit I'm not terribly interested in the prospect of a prequel, but more Mad Max is good no matter what.

SJRB

Gold Member
How the fuck do you do a prequel with both Max and Furiosa?

Hardy and Theron were famously at loggerheads during Fury Road. Method actor Hardy was said to be difficult, but nothing compared with high-maintenance Theron.

This disqualifies the entire article because this turned out to be a huge pile of bullshit.

Random unknown website comes with miraculous Mad Max news, just a day after the Black & Chrome edition of Fury Road is announced. Sounds legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom