• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Shinobi says Sony currently has multiple big games from first party teams scheduled for 2025

midnightAI

My perception warped when i added a gaming pc to my arsenal, right now first parties are even more important than before for me because they are almost exclusively why i still keep a console at home.
I don't really have a gaming PC, well, kinda, but it's mostly used either for ESO or the kids playing The Sims or Roblox, it's not really powerful enough for much else so consoles are the main use for me, mostly PlayStation due to their exclusives being the types of games I want to play (GoT 2 being my most anticipated so far but really looking forward to what ND and SSM new IP's are all about)

.... Oh and looking forward to Astro Bot of course.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't really have a gaming PC, well, kinda, but it's mostly used either for ESO or the kids playing The Sims or Roblox, it's not really powerful enough for much else so consoles are the main use for me, mostly PlayStation due to their exclusives being the types of games I want to play (GoT 2 being my most anticipated so far but really looking forward to what ND and SSM new IP's are all about)

.... Oh and looking forward to Astro Bot of course.
I unfortunately don't care about astrobot so i'm pretty thirsty to see their other games.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Realistically you're looking at Death Stranding, Ghost 2, Venom and maaaaybe Bend's new IP as far as 1st parties that people actually want go.

Fairgames if that hasn't released by year's end and maybe whatever Firewalk's working on? But honestly, any single player stuff beyond that can wait till 2026.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's why i said last 2 years.

So nobody explained to you why sony first parties are important in a sony console? (Sorry if i sound too snarky)

You never know what timed exclusives or collaborations like sb and hd2 you are gonna get when you buy a ps5, the only thing sure are the first parties, that is the main reason why i buy a ps5, not sure how first party games are not important anymore just because sony didn't had almost nothing to show for the past 2 years.

They are still the main reason why i still have a ps5 at home.
Most of these studios have all released games on PS5 though. Insomniac has released three of them. My point is that these companies are releasing games. The games are just really expensive and take a long time to meet the standards that people want. You realistically cannot expect Sony Santa Monica to release a new game every 18 months. FFS we even got a full fledged Gran Turismo relatively early in the gen, for the first time since PS2.

The ones who have not have been Naughty Dog, who released a game like five months before the PS5 came out, and then wasted tons of resources on Factions 2. Sucker Punch who also released a game like five months before the PS5 came out. And Bend who has been jerked around for years. In all likelihood Sucker Punch will be rolling out their next game soon.

Outside of Sony and the devs having perfect project management skills, I don't see what else can realistically be done here. If you need 4-5 years to make a game AND you don't have 600 different internal studios, you need to manage these studios while also filling in the gaps with external games you publish.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yah, and Nintendo is making multiple games, at least one is Mario.

But seriously no need for him to damage control for Sony here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
time for some wild moderation

the office no GIF

You're usually the first one who gets got, ass.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Most of these studios have all released games on PS5 though. Insomniac has released three of them. My point is that these companies are releasing games. The games are just really expensive and take a long time to meet the standards that people want. You realistically cannot expect Sony Santa Monica to release a new game every 18 months. FFS we even got a full fledged Gran Turismo relatively early in the gen, for the first time since PS2.

The ones who have not have been Naughty Dog, who released a game like five months before the PS5 came out, and then wasted tons of resources on Factions 2. Sucker Punch who also released a game like five months before the PS5 came out. And Bend who has been jerked around for years. In all likelihood Sucker Punch will be rolling out their next game soon.

Outside of Sony and the devs having perfect project management skills, I don't see what else can realistically be done here. If you need 4-5 years to make a game AND you don't have 600 different internal studios, you need to manage these studios while also filling in the gaps with external games you publish.
It's not an easy situation, i give you that.

I would have loved if sony was still a single player publisher so the teams were not divided into more projects like gaas or other stuff that suck time and money from the games i actually care.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's not an easy situation, i give you that.

I would have loved if sony was still a single player publisher so the teams were not divided into more projects like gaas or other stuff that suck time and money from the games i actually care.

The problem is that it is really, really, really hard to build a sustainable business on only $250+ million singleplayer games. The fact that Sony has done it for so long is a testament to their competence and management skills but everyone can see the risk. Look at movie companies, they release those massive blockbusters but they have lots of other stuff too. No studio can survive on just releasing summer blockbusters, one dud puts your entire company at risk.

What Sony has done so far at least is probably the best that can be expected, they're not letting gaashit take over the company the way EA did. And they're not bungling massive singleplayer games like MS has.

platina

why does he come across like some insider, he doesn’t know shit. Everything he’s ever said is pure common sense. Big games in 2025? No shit?

GymWolf

Gold Member
The problem is that it is really, really, really hard to build a sustainable business on only $250+ million singleplayer games. The fact that Sony has done it for so long is a testament to their competence and management skills but everyone can see the risk. Look at movie companies, they release those massive blockbusters but they have lots of other stuff too. No studio can survive on just releasing summer blockbusters, one dud puts your entire company at risk.

What Sony has done so far at least is probably the best that can be expected, they're not letting gaashit take over the company the way EA did. And they're not bungling massive singleplayer games like MS has.
I would not call "the best" when they wasted 2 years of nd for factions and who knows how many other missteps to even greenlight gaas stuff.

Hd2 case is pretty rare, not every gaas released has that huge success (probably the opposite if you consider all the gass released on the market), the gaas stuff is still a huge bet on their part that could not pay off in the longterm...

If concord and the next bungie games are not successful they wasted 2 teams and a lot of money on that stuff, but i can't remember the last big single player sony game that didn't sell gangbusters, even days gone that was a failure sold pretty well and i don't consider returnal as a big sony first party.

So we don't know if switching priorities is gonna pay off for them.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would not call "the best" when they wasted 2 years of nd for factions and who knows how many other missteps to even greenlight gaas stuff.

Hd2 case is pretty rare, not every gaas released has that huge success (probably the opposite if you consider all the gass released on the market), the gaas stuff is still a huge bet on their part that could not pay off in the longterm...

If concord and the next bungie games are not successful they wasted 2 teams and a lot of money on that stuff, but i can't remember the last big single player sony game that didn't sell gangbusters, even days gone that was a failure sold pretty well and i don't consider returnal as a big sony first party.

The massive singleplayer games have risk too. The fact that you seem to think that they are basically automatic is, as I said, a testament to Sony's management and development skills but it absolutely is not automatic. Look at the mess that was Shartfield, after 8 years, or even Dead Space was bomba despite being an excellent game.

The point is that Sony is trying to diversify which is probably the right move. The fact that they already have one huge hit and seem to be managing these games closely (canceling pr/ojects, etc.) shows that they do seem to be applying their skills to this too, but we will see. Marathon looks like dog shit but it's not like it was either make a shitty Tarkov clone or make a singleplayer game, there's a decent chance Bungie doesn't want to make a singleplayer game, doesn't have the competency to make a singleplayer game anymore, and Sony doesn't want them to make one either.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The massive singleplayer games have risk too. The fact that you seem to think that they are basically automatic is, as I said, a testament to Sony's management and development skills but it absolutely is not automatic. Look at the mess that was Shartfield, after 8 years, or even Dead Space was bomba despite being an excellent game.

The point is that Sony is trying to diversify which is probably the right move. The fact that they already have one huge hit and seem to be managing these games closely (canceling pr/ojects, etc.) shows that they do seem to be applying their skills to this too, but we will see. Marathon looks like dog shit but it's not like it was either make a shitty Tarkov clone or make a singleplayer game, there's a decent chance Bungie doesn't want to make a singleplayer game, doesn't have the competency to make a singleplayer game anymore, and Sony doesn't want them to make one either.
I know they are not automatic, i'm just saying that they very rarely fail the sales target, you can't say the same for the majority of gaas games (talking about sony first parties, not stuff from other devs like your example of ds remake).

Who knows if going the gaas way instead of doubling down on single player games is the right way to go...nobody can tell really.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know they are not automatic, i'm just saying that they very rarely fail the sales target, you can't say the same for the majority of gaas games (talking about sony first parties, not stuff from other devs like your example of ds remake).

Who knows if going the gaas way instead of doubling down on single player games is the right way to go...nobody can tell really.
Well, like I said, they are doing both. I highly doubt Sucker Punch is making a live service game (even though the live service component of GOT was excellent) and ND had to go lick their wounds after Factions 2 flamed out.

It's just impossible to have all these teams working on singleplayer games that take 5 years to make and have everything spaced out perfectly to satisfy everyone. So much can go wrong, so much does go wrong. The whole reason MS went on a buying spree was to set up something like this to keep people subbed to GamePass and we saw what a tire fire it ended up being. Sony is much better at this than MS, we all know this, but all it takes is one or two failures and you have a donut hole in your schedule like this year.

GHG

iHaunter

Last 8 months exclusive content:
- Spiderman 2
- Helldivers 2
- Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
- Rise of the Ronin
- Stellar Blade
- TLOU2 Remastered

I swear if Sony hadn't packed all the content in the first few months of the year this narrative of a slow 2024 wouldn't be getting so much steam.
People will always hate. Regardless the platform. Remind me the last time Nintendo released multiple games like TOTK within a year. Yet no one talks about it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well, like I said, they are doing both. I highly doubt Sucker Punch is making a live service game (even though the live service component of GOT was excellent) and ND had to go lick their wounds after Factions 2 flamed out.

It's just impossible to have all these teams working on singleplayer games that take 5 years to make and have everything spaced out perfectly to satisfy everyone. So much can go wrong, so much does go wrong. The whole reason MS went on a buying spree was to set up something like this to keep people subbed to GamePass and we saw what a tire fire it ended up being. Sony is much better at this than MS, we all know this, but all it takes is one or two failures and you have a donut hole in your schedule like this year.
One solution was to enlarge the studios and let them make multiple single player games, you could have sucker punch working on sushi2 and a new infamous, nd working on tlou3 and their new ip, santa monica could have worked on god of war and the new corey ip, etc.

They decided to divide them to make them do a gaas and a single player game, i'm just offering a possible alternative.

Sony and ps5 would not go out of business if the only gaas games available were third parties, like they didn't failed during the ps4 era.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
One solution was to enlarge the studios and let them make multiple single player games, you could have sucker punch working on sushi2 and a new infamous, nd working on tlou3 and their new ip, santa monica could have worked on god of war and the new corey ip, etc.

They decided to divide them to make them do a gaas and a single player game, i'm just offering a possible alternative.

Sony and ps5 would not gonna fail if the only gaas games are third parties, like they didn't failed during the ps4 era.
It's true that is a solution, but the question is, (A) can you staff up these studios to the level and competence you need to actually make the games worthy of the names, and (B) how much in resources does it take to do this and is the juice worth the squeeze. Just because you staff up and call the team Sucker Punch B or whatever doesn't mean that they are going to automatically generate Sucker Punch quality.

IMO Sony freaked out when MS bought A-B and realized that one of their biggest revenue sources was going to be owned by another hardware maker and realized they needed more control. Which might have been an overreaction but it isn't entirely irrational.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Calling Shinobi a shill is ridiculous.

Out of all of the insiders, he has the most reliable track record for Playstation and Xbox.
Doesn’t he actually work for one of Sony’s studios? Or maybe 3rd party one that did an exclusive game for them?

But yeah, he has been fairly reliable.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's true that is a solution, but the question is, (A) can you staff up these studios to the level and competence you need to actually make the games worthy of the names, and (B) how much in resources does it take to do this and is the juice worth the squeeze. Just because you staff up and call the team Sucker Punch B or whatever doesn't mean that they are going to automatically generate Sucker Punch quality.

IMO they freaked out when MS bought A-B and realized that one of their biggest revenue sources was going to be owned by another hardware maker and realized they needed more control. Which might have been an overreaction but it isn't entirely irrational.
I mean, they still need to hire people to make gaas and you still need talented people to make those so...

It's not like they can skimp on quality hiring because they are making gaas, these are sony gaas, they need a certain level of base quality because people expect that from sony titles.

In the end you still have to hire talented people for every type of game.

GHG

Doesn’t he actually work for one of Sony’s studios? Or maybe 3rd party one that did an exclusive game for them?

But yeah, he has been fairly reliable.

No, he just has a lot of industry contacts, the bulk of which originate from Bioware.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Preach.

StereoVsn

No, he just has a lot of industry contacts, the bulk of which originate from Bioware.
I am pretty sure that he was working for the studio which produced the exclusive racing combat game that kind of tanked. Can’t remember the name off the top of my head.

GHG

I am pretty sure that he was working for the studio which produced the exclusive racing combat game that kind of tanked. Can’t remember the name off the top of my head.

Destruction allstars? That would be news to me.

His twitter bio shows what he's been involved in and in what capacity:

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yay. More mystery games, mystery showcases, and rumours to go off of for the next year.

Show them or stfu

Duh...of course they are working on big releases soon.

People really think Sony is sitting on their butts all day coasting and relying on multiplats and remasters/remakes?

They definitely have some shit in the works, and they'll probably reveal it at a showcase later this year to coincide with their PS5 Pro reveal (at least that's what I would do if I was launching new hardware).

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I actually want more non-big AAA games announced and released within a very short time frame; Astro Bot and LEGO Horizon showed that this is the perfect approach.
Another collaboration with Alfa System will 100% excite me more than something like Wolverine.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Is that really a rumour lol? Sony has been MIA for a while now, they better have something for 2025 or next gen isn't going to be kind to them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I actually want more non-big AAA games announced and released within a very short time frame; Astro Bot and LEGO Horizon showed that this is the perfect approach.
Another collaboration with Alfa System will 100% excite me more than something like Venom.
I think Astro Bot is a big AAA game. They've clearly been working on it since 2020.

nial

Gold Member
I think Astro Bot is a big AAA game. They've clearly been working on it since 2020.
No problem in considering it 'AAA', it's just that I wouldn't put it at the same budget level as God of War Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West. It's not even close.

Last edited:

ZoolNL

“Insider” says platform holder will also release games in 2025!!1 And they are important!!1

Wow!! What an insight….

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No problem in considering it 'AAA', it's just that I wouldn't put it at the same budget level as God of War Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West. It's not even close.

We all should. But even Sony doesn't and I hate that. AAA games shouldn't be only for God of War or Horizon type games. Nintendo would never look at their next Mario game as a mid-level game.

Audiophile

Rough estimate, last 2yrs have been dog poop but this'd kill given they're already coming up close to PS4 sales at much higher cost while phoning it in:

PS5 Pro in Q4 2024 for $499 + $50 price drop for both base PS5 SKUs + Astro Bot + Third Parties + First Party Upgrades

Venom in Q1 2025, DS2 in Q2 2025, GOT2 in Q3 2025, GTAVI in Q4 2025

Wolverine + Bend Project/s in 2026 + Handheld announcement/release in H2

GT8 + Naughty Dog in 2027

Horizon 3 + Spidey 3 in 2028 + PS6 announcement/release in H2

nial

Gold Member
We all should. But even Sony doesn't and I hate that. AAA games shouldn't be only for God of War or Horizon type games. Nintendo would never look at their next Mario game as a mid-level game.
I've seen Sony pushing Astro Bot more than Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade, and those had great marketing all around. Let's not even get into Concord (which has been largely forgotten by now, and it's even releasing earlier).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rough estimate, last 2yrs have been dog poop but this'd kill given they're already coming up close to PS4 sales at much higher cost while phoning it in:

PS5 Pro in Q4 2024 for $499 + $50 price drop for both base PS5 SKUs + Astro Bot + Third Parties + First Party Upgrades

Venom in Q1 2025, DS2 in Q2 2025, GOT2 in Q3 2025, GTAVI in Q4 2025

Wolverine + Bend Project/s in 2026 + Handheld announcement/release in H2

GT8 + Naughty Dog in 2027

Horizon 3 + Spidey 3 in 2028 + PS6 announcement/release in H2

Sony said no major AAA games coming out before or during Q1 2025. So Venom would have to be in April 2025 at the earliest.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Returnal, Demons Souls Remake, and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart were flops.

nial

Gold Member
I’d hope so as they took this year off.
As far as internal studios are concerned, no? Firewalk and SIE Team Asobi are shipping new games this year; Firesprite did in 2023; Guerrilla, Polyphony Digital and SIE Santa Monica Studio did in 2022; Housemarque did in 2021; Insomniac did in 2020, 2021 and 2023; SIE San Diego Studio does every year.
Sony only has 14 console studios, you're only lacking SIE Bend Studio, Media Molecule, Haven, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog (which did make TLOUP1, but I'm not really counting it).
This is literally why XDEV projects are so important, otherwise you wouldn't have stuff like Death Stranding 2 or Rise of the Ronin.

Top Bottom