• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Shinobi says Sony currently has multiple big games from first party teams scheduled for 2025

Venom Snake

The most inside information ever!

True, it almost feels like i was there.. I'm sure i saw a Japanese guy in a suit, doing publishing stuff and all..

qxvuf4.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Returnal, Demons Souls Remake, and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart were flops.
Except for ratchet (that is arguably a minor saga of games) those are not the big first party sony games i was talking about.

One is a remake of the arguably less famous fromsoft game made by a studio that wasn't even first party by the time they made the game, they were acquired after that if i remember well, and the other is a roguelite made by a team at their first big game on console, these are the risky games that sony make every gen to have more genres in its portfolio, you can bet your ass that ratchet\returnal failing and gow\tlou failing are 2 different things for sony because expectations are wildly different.

Those are are not sucker punch\nd\santa monica\guerrilla\insomniac\bend big titles, and you know it.

As you can read in my previous post, i didn't suggested ND to make tlou3 and a new jak and daxter or sucker punch to make tsushima 2 and a new sly raccoon because i know those are games that don't sell much on a sony console, we all know what are the big first parties i'm talking about dude:

Tushsima did well
tlou2\unchy4 did well
both horizon did well
days gone did well (not aswel as the others but way better than rift apart)
the gows do well
Spiderman does well

You are partially right that not every single player game made by sony sell a lot, but there is a clear distinction between A projects and B projects.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
None of these are flops
"Among the documents leaked in the recent Insomniac data breach was a chart of budgets and sales figures for the last few Insomniac-developed games. According to this chart, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart sold 2.2 million units worldwide, with $73 million in revenue. Sadly, this falls short of breaking even with the game’s supposed $81 million budget - making it a loss for Insomniac by roughly $8 million."

Demons Souls and Returnal sold considerably less than Rift Apart.

jm89

"Among the documents leaked in the recent Insomniac data breach was a chart of budgets and sales figures for the last few Insomniac-developed games. According to this chart, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart sold 2.2 million units worldwide, with $73 million in revenue. Sadly, this falls short of breaking even with the game’s supposed $81 million budget - making it a loss for Insomniac by roughly $8 million."

Fake news.

Killjoy-NL

Are people really going to act like Sony has nothing in the works rn?

I'd get it if you're 14yo and this gen is your "first", but the majority of posters know what the deal is and are acting like morons. Lol

I didn’t realize Ratchet is no longer being sold.

DS and Returnal cost less than Ratchet to make

Furthermore, they helped sell PS5s so even if they weren’t profitable they may have successfully served a utility to fill out early gen gaps in software

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I didn’t realize Ratchet is no longer being sold.

DS and Returnal cost less than Ratchet to make

Furthermore, they helped sell PS5s so even if they weren’t profitable they may have successfully served a utility to fill out early gen gaps in software

EA jumped off the Mass Effect series (10 years earlier) because they weren't happy with 4 - 6 million in sales.

Days Gone 2 never happened after 8 million in sales.

Rocksteady jumped off Batman because they weren't happy with 12 million in sales.

I think it's safe to say 4 million (where did this number even come from) is likely a flop for a 2022 game.

Last edited:
EA jumped off the Mass Effect series (10 years earlier) because they weren't happy with 4 - 6 million in sales.

Rocksteady jumped off Batman because they weren't happy with 12 million in sales.

I think it's safe to say 4 million (where did this number even come from) is likely a flop for a 2022 game.

Mass effect and Batman cost a lot more to make than Ratchet

80M is a small budget

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Mass effect and Batman cost a lot more to make than Ratchet

80M is a small budget

Google said Mass Effect 3 cost 40 million. Mass Effect Andromeda cost 73 million and sold similar numbers to Rift Apart. Can't find the budget for Arkham Knight (2015) but I bet it was ballpark what Rift Apart (2022) cost.

I'm just not picturing a reality where Rift Apart was anything other than a disappointment.

Google said Mass Effect 3 cost 40 million. Mass Effect Andromeda cost 73 million and sold similar numbers to Rift Apart. Can't find the budget for Arkham Knight (2015) but I bet it was ballpark what Rift Apart (2022) cost.

I'm just not picturing a reality where Rift Apart was anything other than a disappointment.

1. 2012 dollars are not the same as 2021 dollars

2. Google isn’t accurate unless it’s a legit source

3. Marketing costs not likely included in ME3 number

4. If Ratchet was a disappointment, why are they making another one?

Last edited:

graywolf323

Never forget:

I kinda agree with him about Andromeda though, it didn’t get a fair shake & is a great example of how a narrative overtakes everything (the stupid facial animation glitch from the early access preview) plus on top of that it was being compared to the entire original trilogy

it’s a real shame we never got the planned DLC with the other arks

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Of course they have games. It's just this guy is always there to spread the positive Sony news whenever it's needed.

I own two PS5s and a pro later this year. I want the big Sony games. You guys should be demanding more from them, not defending them or attacking others.
I thought it's quite recent that you said you jump to pc and told us your son is not interested in console and will jump to pc or something like that ?

diffusionx

Gold Member
No problem in considering it 'AAA', it's just that I wouldn't put it at the same budget level as God of War Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West. It's not even close.
Maybe not $250 million like Spiderman 2 but probably not as far behind as you think.

nial

Gold Member
Maybe not $250 million like Spiderman 2 but probably not as far behind as you think.
While I do believe that it's the most expensive SIEJ-produced game not made by Polyphony Digital or Kojima Productions (and proooobably The Last Guardian), I still think it's not close to that level.
Around $81M like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, do you take it?

Top Bottom