• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuneScape |OT|

Arthea

My account is 10 years old now. The game is definitely worse than it was. Not because of the new combat or the new game mechanics, but just because of the dying economy. Because of bots, skilling costs money now, rather than making it. The entire game is a juggle of making money to raise skills, then skilling, then raising money to raise skills, etc.

It was the same when I left, some 5 years ago or so. Even then, RS still had the best quests in any MMO ever, ya. It was worth to pay $5 for quests alone, not sure how now things are. I did some questing couple of years ago again, for a month, just to remember how good they are.
My accounts must be really really old, as I can't even remember how old!

t-ramp

Decided to go with fishing... started at 65 a couple days ago and just got to 73 and broke 1 million xp yesterday.

rCIZZLE

I remember spending so much time playing this game between 02-04. Pking in the old version was amazing. Too bad they drove people away from it towards the new, much worse HD game.

moka

Been really busy lately so I haven't been on in a while but hoping to start playing again soon and finally get 99 mining.

SmokeMaxX

There's a poll up now regarding rare items in Old School RuneScape. If you have 100 total level or greater and care, check it out. As of now the results are expectedly lopsided in favor of bringing rare items back and keeping tradeable rares (party hats, etc.) able to be traded.

I might pop into the old version and check it out, but the whole starting over thing really turns me off.

As someone who's been out of the game for a LONG time but has rare items that I want to sell (party hats/halloween masks) can you explain what's going on? Can I still sell my items right now? I mean like someone gives me cash and then I trade them the items in game. Is that still possible? And what does this poll mean for that above scenario?

How does Runescape 07 work? Do you have to start a new game from scratch with your account or do things carry over?

Strangely enough, I recovered my account and it seems to have been hijacked somehow. My character now has 99 str, 99 def, and 99 hp (before they were in the 80s and 90s).

moka

How does Runescape 07 work? Do you have to start a new game from scratch with your account or do things carry over?

Strangely enough, I recovered my account and it seems to have been hijacked somehow. My character now has 99 str, 99 def, and 99 hp (before they were in the 80s and 90s).
You have to start over but you can log on with your current username and password.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Aaah runescape was the shit back in the day
Sometimes I consider getting a membership just to go play castle wars again

Zocano

Uuugh. Seeing this thread was a giant nostalgia bomb. I had a level 87, spent my days fishing and woodcutting (82 fishing and 70 woodcutting iirc) and the rest of my other stuff was fairly high, too. There has not been a single MMO to date that has matched the uniqueness and the variety of quests that Runescape has had. It is a shame because they were all quite fantastic (Legends Quest was particularly memorable and the Underground Pass is still the best memory I have. Uuugh so good). Just a huge nostalgia bomb.

Sadly, I don't remember the e-mail that is associated with the account anymore. If I did I'd be able to hunt it down most likely. I remember my username but I don't remember my password at all. Bummer. Maybe I'll ask a few friends from long ago if they remember any accounts that could have been associated or maybe I can e-mail support and see if they can help me out (they probably won't but I suppose it's worth a shot).

t-ramp

As someone who's been out of the game for a LONG time but has rare items that I want to sell (party hats/halloween masks) can you explain what's going on? Can I still sell my items right now? I mean like someone gives me cash and then I trade them the items in game. Is that still possible? And what does this poll mean for that above scenario?
The poll is about the Old School version of the game. As of now, I don't think there are any rares in that version. If you have some party hats and masks in the regular game, though, you can definitely sell them in-game. For a few years RuneScape severely limited lopsided trades due to major real-world trading concerns, but if you're not concerned about breaking the rules you ought to be able to sell your items for cash now.

moka

Uuugh. Seeing this thread was a giant nostalgia bomb. I had a level 87, spent my days fishing and woodcutting (82 fishing and 70 woodcutting iirc) and the rest of my other stuff was fairly high, too. There has not been a single MMO to date that has matched the uniqueness and the variety of quests that Runescape has had. It is a shame because they were all quite fantastic (Legends Quest was particularly memorable and the Underground Pass is still the best memory I have. Uuugh so good). Just a huge nostalgia bomb.

Sadly, I don't remember the e-mail that is associated with the account anymore. If I did I'd be able to hunt it down most likely. I remember my username but I don't remember my password at all. Bummer. Maybe I'll ask a few friends from long ago if they remember any accounts that could have been associated or maybe I can e-mail support and see if they can help me out (they probably won't but I suppose it's worth a shot).
Legends quest was good but Underground Pass was horrible along with Regicide.

SmokeMaxX

The poll is about the Old School version of the game. As of now, I don't think there are any rares in that version. If you have some party hats and masks in the regular game, though, you can definitely sell them in-game. For a few years RuneScape severely limited lopsided trades due to major real-world trading concerns, but if you're not concerned about breaking the rules you ought to be able to sell your items for cash now.

Awesome thanks! As for rules, I don't really care if someone takes my account after I get rid of those items haha. I just have some rare stuff that I'd like to help my wallet out. Which reminds me... if anyone here is looking for those kinda things... let me know lol.

I remember back in the day when all my classmates used to play Runescape. They always hyped it up and made it sound awesome but I never got into it. I was too excited for this weird new game called "World of Warcraft" that was coming out in a few months. But no one was interested.

I played WoW for a month and then quit cause I had no one to play with and it didn't seem worth the $15 a month... and then it exploded, and everyone started talking about WoW instead.
Untitled-1.jpg

t-ramp

Awesome thanks! As for rules, I don't really care if someone takes my account after I get rid of those items haha. I just have some rare stuff that I'd like to help my wallet out. Which reminds me... if anyone here is looking for those kinda things... let me know lol.
It would be pretty cool to have one, but the going price is probably more than I'd like to spend.

Wait... there is new Runescape? Like a new game? Or are you talking about 2002? years new?
Well, it's evolved, but as of now it's still based on the 2004 version of the game. There's also a 2007 version that Jagex put out recently for people who want to relive those days.

I think there might be a significant rework of the engine underway, but I'm not certain.

I haven't done any quests in ages. Still just doing a bit of fishing every now and then.

I remember maxing combat and being in clans and shit before I quit. Right before I went off to college I killed off all of my gaming addictions and just kept my ps3. Haven't played since then come to think about it..I guess theres a new combat system I'm not sure how it works but on the old system I was 122 out of 126, good times indeed.

moka

I remember maxing combat and being in clans and shit before I quit. Right before I went off to college I killed off all of my gaming addictions and just kept my ps3. Haven't played since then come to think about it..I guess theres a new combat system I'm not sure how it works but on the old system I was 122 out of 126, good times indeed.

The new combat system is way more complicated than it needs to be and max combat level has since increased to 136 and now it's 200 with the EoC update.

Dec

It would be pretty cool to have one, but the going price is probably more than I'd like to spend.

Well, it's evolved, but as of now it's still based on the 2004 version of the game. There's also a 2007 version that Jagex put out recently for people who want to relive those days.

I think there might be a significant rework of the engine underway, but I'm not certain.

I haven't done any quests in ages. Still just doing a bit of fishing every now and then.

Runescape 3 is coming and as you say, it is mostly a quality improvement to the overall game.

moka

Runescape 3 is coming and as you say, it is mostly a quality improvement to the overall game.

Yeah, it's being ported to HTML5 for increased browser and system compatibility and so they can take further advantage of users' hardware.

moka

Mind boggling. I should sign on but, naaaaaaaaaahhhhh lol.

Just do it. The game is still good, the new combat system is going to take some getting used to though but they do have a nice tutorial.

RuneScape would actually look pretty nice if the render distance wasn't so darn small.

RS3 is going to increase the render distance by taking better advantage of hardware. :)

Arthea

I logged in yesterday. Damn... it looks like a different game altogether. Interface is different, world looks different, character models look different and a game informed me that combat changed too. whoa
I don't mean to play it, too many games to play, just kinda an curious how combat changed? is it worse, better, the same?
I must have been on more then couple of years ago... (><)

TheMink

Just do it. The game is still good, the new combat system is going to take some getting used to though but they do have a nice tutorial.

RS3 is going to increase the render distance by taking better advantage of hardware. :)

Wait they announced RS3??

Nebula

I logged in yesterday. Damn... it looks like a different game altogether. Interface is different, world looks different, character models look different and a game informed me that combat changed too. whoa
I don't mean to play it, too many games to play, just kinda an curious how combat changed? is it worse, better, the same?

Depends on who you speak to. The community seems to be pretty split at the moment on whether the change to combat was good. I personally don't like it all that much. I liked the mindlessness of the old combat, and that it was simple. Now everything has a specific weakness, you have to do typical MMORPG abilities to be more effective in most combat situations and PvP seems to be dead.

07, even with the clean slate, is a better game in my opinion. I thought I'd have an issue with redoing quests because I don't tend to like doing them, but I've enjoyed myself thoroughly. It's also great being able to level up and make money consistently because of the knowledge I have.

Wait they announced RS3??

Yeah it's using HTML5 or something. Look up a trailer on YouTube.

Arthea

Depends on who you speak to. The community seems to be pretty split at the moment on whether the change to combat was good. I personally don't like it all that much. I liked the mindlessness of the old combat, and that it was simple. Now everything has a specific weakness, you have to do typical MMORPG abilities to be more effective in most combat situations and PvP seems to be dead.

07, even with the clean slate, is a better game in my opinion. I thought I'd have an issue with redoing quests because I don't tend to like doing them, but I've enjoyed myself thoroughly. It's also great being able to level up and make money consistently because of the knowledge I have.

Yeah it's using HTML5 or something. Look up a trailer on YouTube.

Mindlessness of RS combat was kinda boring part, but it was good because it was different. I'm not sure I would like a new one.
Quests are the best parts of this game, you are weird, you know? :)
So if you start a new game's beta now, nothing form the old games carries on? Why have they done that? If I remember correctly going from original game to Runescape 2 account carried on something, may be not all levels. Damn, can't remember...
But I'm sure people won't be happy about it.

Nebula

Mindlessness of RS combat was kinda boring part, but it was good because it was different. I'm not sure I would like a new one.
Quests are the best parts of this game, you are weird, you know? :)
So if you start a new game's beta now, nothing form the old games carries on? Why have they done that? If I remember correctly going from original game to Runescape 2 account carried on something, may be not all levels. Damn, can't remember...
But I'm sure people won't be happy about it.

If you decide to play the 07 servers you get an account in your name, but it is separate from the live game (EoC servers) and starts from a clean slate. Your account, stats and items should carry over when RS3 is released just like RS2.

Sorry for the confusion.

Also my favourite story lines are the Cave Goblin and Dwarven ones. I'm just not a fan of questing is all.

Arthea

If you decide to play the 07 servers you get an account in your name, but it is separate from the live game (EoC servers) and starts from a clean slate. Your account, stats and items should carry over when RS3 is released just like RS2.

Sorry for the confusion.

Also my favourite story lines are the Cave Goblin and Dwarven ones. I'm just not a fan of questing is all.

oh, well that's different story. Might try a new game then.

Dwarven ones are hilarious, I remember that much. I played RS for years for a new quest every week. They still do that? Jagex I mean.

moka

Sorry for the confusion.

The Dwarven story line is definitely in my top 3. I like the Elven storyline as well but Regicide was a terrible quest.

Arthea

I just noticed that now member fee is $7,5. When did that happen?
Did they already told how much it will be for a new RS?

moka

I just noticed that now member fee is $7,5. When did that happen?
Did they already told how much it will be for a new RS?

Heh, I pay £4.95/month which is equivalent to $7.60/month so you're getting a deal man! Damn game is built in Britain but we still have to pay more for it than the Yanks!

Dec

They have increased the price over the years but if you never unsubbed you kept the same price. I still was paying $5 a month until I stopped subbing like 3 months ago.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I am very upset.
Just tried to log in and my account needs to be recovered.
But the email I used for it was my first ever one that I stopped using years ago, and Microsoft being the dicks they are, have since deleted it from existence.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Does anyone else have a clan or private chat channel we can talk in? I'm in the Reddit clan and such, but I don't chat too much. I've just been trying to level my Fletching and Ranged and pretty much AFK trees while I work.

Cj70

I played this from 01 to 06 and still keep in touch with my clan. Don't think I could get back into it though, so much has changed.

I'll probably check it out when the HTML5 version comes out, is there a more exact ETA on that other than Summer?

moka

Does anyone else have a clan or private chat channel we can talk in? I'm in the Reddit clan and such, but I don't chat too much. I've just been trying to level my Fletching and Ranged and pretty much AFK trees while I work.
We don't have a NeoGaf chat or clan but you can add me as a friend: doodyhead and join the clan I'm in if you want.

Dec

Having some Gaffers to chat with might be what I need to give the new combat a chance. Grabbed a month.

Edit: Oh I forgot I hate java. Gotta either get a 32bit java or use Waterfox to play which is spotty with Java.

HTML5 can't come soon enough...

freddy

Banned
Having some Gaffers to chat with might be what I need to give the new combat a chance. Grabbed a month.

Edit: Oh I forgot I hate java. Gotta either get a 32bit java or use Waterfox to play which is spotty with Java.

HTML5 can't come soon enough...

I can log in and don't have java installed. As far as I know the game client has been java free for a couple of years now.

Edit: Apparently it uses an open source version of java but ,regardless, you don't need any java installed on your machine. Just install the client.

The combat is 10x better. It takes much more skill than the old runescape.

Dec

I can log in and don't have java installed. As far as I know the game client has been java free for a couple of years now.

Edit: Apparently it uses an open source version of java but ,regardless, you don't need any java installed on your machine. Just install the client.

It said I didn't have Java when I tried, but an update must have fixed Waterfox or something cause it's running 60 fps strangely.

Edit: It definitely uses Java, I can see Java running in my task manager and the process links to my Java installation folder. ----- Nevermind I see you're using the client, not playing in a browser.

Anyways, my name on there is Declarius, working on the dungeoneering imp.

Nebula

So A Freind has released a video showing an early Beta of RuneScape 3 (HTML5 version of RuneScape) and it looks pretty much like current RuneScape, but the draw distance has been massively improved. The only issue at the moment is that it kills your FPS, even on a good gaming PC. Chances are it's just some coding issue or lack of optimization.

Video here for those who want a look.

In other news, I've not played RuneScape all week. I've been at work (recently started) and it has drained all the energy out of me. I did however complete 12 quests on the weekend, some ones required for RFD(Recipe for Disaster) and some of the RFD subquests. I'm on Adamant gloves and looking to get Rune. I need 48 agility and 70 cooking I think for Awowogie (the monkey king) and then I'll start on requirements for Legends to save Sir Amik Varze and finish the boss battles for Barrows gloves.

Long trip which I hope to knock a chunk out of this weekend when I'm not feeling so drained. After this it'll be Slayer. Need to make dat roonscape monay.

Dec

Html5 looks pretty great, just hoping they are quick about improving the performance. In the above video with the way he edited the footage when cut to other parts of the game he cut out the really bad slow loading objects and framerate dips. Either way it does look nice, just performs bad.

Runescape got it's teeth in me. Been back like a week and got 99 summoning and firemaking.

Also if anyone is able to do The World Wakes, do it... that quest is awesome.

Xanadu

Banned
Html5 looks pretty great, just hoping they are quick about improving the performance. In the above video with the way he edited the footage when cut to other parts of the game he cut out the really bad slow loading objects and framerate dips. Either way it does look nice, just performs bad.

Runescape got it's teeth in me. Been back like a week and got 99 summoning and firemaking.

Also if anyone is able to do The World Wakes, do it... that quest is awesome.

i cant bring myself to play the main game, that god damn 2007 nostalgia never lets go

Top Bottom