• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuneScape |OT|

Dec

i cant bring myself to play the main game, that god damn 2007 nostalgia never lets go

I haven't actually tried it yet. That was the point where I was most into RS ever so I'm afraid I'll fall in the same hole, but also I don't want to restart my character.

ohlawd

shiet I actually want to play this game again.
but lol my comp can't even handle this shit even on the lowest settings hahahah.

Then again I kinda don't want to since I haven't played in nearly 3-4 years and there's a ton of content now probably. Letting those 99 skills (I didn't like combat much, only 99 combat skill I have is Magic, Range is close at like 94 I think) go to waste :/

All in all.... this just might be my secret favorite game of all time. Too many hours spent, too many hours of fun.

This RS3 business... I'm scurred. What if I can't use my RS2 account anymo? :(

Dec

shiet I actually want to play this game again.
but lol my comp can't even handle this shit even on the lowest settings hahahah.

Then again I kinda don't want to since I haven't played in nearly 3-4 years and there's a ton of content now probably. Letting those 99 skills (I didn't like combat much, only 99 combat skill I have is Magic, Range is close at like 94 I think) go to waste :/

All in all.... this just might be my secret favorite game of all time. Too many hours spent, too many hours of fun.

This RS3 business... I'm scurred. What if I can't use my RS2 account anymo? :(

You'll never lose your RS account. That would be the worst idea they could ever have. When RS3 comes out you can use your old account, the world is still the same, the skills are the same. It's just that the graphics, sound, and camera are better, and there is more content.

t-ramp

500k xp left till 99 Mining. So close!
Nice.

I think my membership might be running out today. Not a big deal, since I suppose I can just keep on fly fishing if I decide to keep going. Haven't been playing much at all for a while...

moka

Nice.

I think my membership might be running out today. Not a big deal, since I suppose I can just keep on fly fishing if I decide to keep going. Haven't been playing much at all for a while...

My membership runs out tomorrow so I plan on getting 99 today and then leaving the game for a bit. :)

I need a fucking job. Summer is here and I don't wanna be sitting on my ass for 5 months.

Scuderia

I think i stopped playing around 5 years ago (when they took out p2p if anyone knows when that was?). I invested way too much time into the game though... 99 Att, Str, Def and HP.

Logged in just to see if i could remember my password and i do, i don't even recognise where i was stood or anything. Still have a blue Halloween mask too.

Wish i could sell my account -.-

Nebula

I think i stopped playing around 5 years ago (when they took out p2p if anyone knows when that was?). I invested way too much time into the game though... 99 Att, Str, Def and HP.

Logged in just to see if i could remember my password and i do, i don't even recognise where i was stood or anything. Still have a blue Halloween mask too.

Wish i could sell my account -.-

I don't think they ever took out Pay 2 play, you could be talkign about the ability to trade whatever you wanted. Blue H'ween is worth a bit of money now, and if you did sell your account, you'd get a decent amount for it, but it is against the rules of the game.

My members is up in 4 days and I'm not sure if I want to renew. Lasted 2 months which is great though.

This game educated me when I was younger in the ways of being scammed on the internet.
Shared my password with a guy who had been my ingame 'friend' for weeks who promptly cleaned me out of everything I had on me. Following that while trying to recoup what I lost I had my first and thus far only run in with a virus/hacker when I downloaded an exe that was supposed to give me gold or something. Cleaned out everything that remained in that account. So I ended up formatting that pc and I never looked back :D

It's truly mindblowing that this game is still around. It was my first mmorpg and it was such a learning experience in the ways of the internet.

moka

This game educated me when I was younger in the ways of being scammed on the internet.
Shared my password with a guy who had been my ingame 'friend' for weeks who promptly cleaned me out of everything I had on me. Following that while trying to recoup what I lost I had my first and thus far only run in with a virus/hacker when I downloaded an exe that was supposed to give me gold or something. Cleaned out everything that remained in that account. So I ended up formatting that pc and I never looked back :D

It's truly mindblowing that this game is still around. It was my first mmorpg and it was such a learning experience in the ways of the internet.

I remember one time some guy I met in-game trusted me enough to let me log on to his account. He had some mad stacks and I could've cleaned that sucka out but I felt bad and didn't touch a penny.

moka

Looks good, doesn't it?

pKwdo8y.png

Assault

Sorry i meant PvP, not sure why i said that. I seem to remember at some point they stopped player killing.

Yep, it was towards the end of 2007. There was a HUGE backlash from the players; the forum thread for that 'update' is probably the fastest moving thread I've ever seen, it was insane.

I personally stopped at the start of 2008 and after I picked up my PS3 I never looked back. That said, I did hop on a couple of times recently - the game is completely different to what it was 5 years ago, visually at least.

ohlawd

Looks good, doesn't it?

pKwdo8y.png

That looks nice, congrats.

How did you get it? Back then, the best method was mining and dropping Granite at that desert. Eventually, they released this place underneath Falador (I think that's where it was) with huge gold rocks that don't go away after one ore and there's a bank nearby.

VXLbeast

Playing with three of my friends online at the same time was amazing. As was going to the wilderness with them to "hunt demons". Hehe. The back-handed dealings and broken alliances. When I quit, I used to say, "Runescape still owes me two years of my life back!" But not anymore. Those were good times. Everybody played it. It was like COD in that sense. Knowing where all the cool spots in the world were, and the mystique that surrounded "the wildy". Yah, those were good times.

moka

That looks nice, congrats.

How did you get it? Back then, the best method was mining and dropping Granite at that desert. Eventually, they released this place underneath Falador (I think that's where it was) with huge gold rocks that don't go away after one ore and there's a bank nearby.

You're right, I power-mined granite for a while then I went to the Living Rock Caverns. There are slow-depleting coal and gold rocks there. I did coal until I could do gold.

At the end I was left with around 60m worth of gold ore.

Congrats.

Nice work Moka.

Thanks.

Might go for fishing next. 87 at the moment.

Scuderia

Yep, it was towards the end of 2007. There was a HUGE backlash from the players; the forum thread for that 'update' is probably the fastest moving thread I've ever seen, it was insane.

I personally stopped at the start of 2008 and after I picked up my PS3 I never looked back. That said, I did hop on a couple of times recently - the game is completely different to what it was 5 years ago, visually at least.

Yeah that sounds about right for me then. I started playing around 2003.

I'll see if i can log into my old photobucket account, i had loads of screenshots there.

freddy

Banned
Here's a few screenshots I found on this PC.

I was making about 4 million an hour at one point till I got bored, doing things like this on the GE.
5wcVNKm.jpg

So I decided to get my herblaw up a bit.
jh6auhf.jpg

These are pretty rare now.
pjFodcP.jpg

And these apparently cost a lot now, lol
D6uvJIc.png

Dec

You're right, I power-mined granite for a while then I went to the Living Rock Caverns. There are slow-depleting coal and gold rocks there. I did coal until I could do gold.

At the end I was left with around 60m worth of gold ore.

Thanks.

Might go for fishing next. 87 at the moment.

Mining then Fishing, that's a lot of grind. I'm closing in on 2300 total but skilling is by far my least favorite part of the game. Combat has always been what I enjoy most, I think I have nearly 100m xp in just melee stats.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I was huge into this back in the day.... must've been about 12 or 13 years ago. I played off and on for years. Was huge into mining and fishing. I had a friend who played up until the grand exchange thing everyone keeps talking about. That concept is terrible... the best part of the game was merchanting.

Dec

I was huge into this back in the day.... must've been about 12 or 13 years ago. I played off and on for years. Was huge into mining and fishing. I had a friend who played up until the grand exchange thing everyone keeps talking about. That concept is terrible... the best part of the game was merchanting.

As you can see by the pictures above, you can still merch. It isn't as much fun though.

moka

Mining then Fishing, that's a lot of grind. I'm closing in on 2300 total but skilling is by far my least favorite part of the game. Combat has always been what I enjoy most, I think I have nearly 100m xp in just melee stats.

Yeah man, I actually like skilling, especially AFK ones. I just watch TV shows while getting my levels up and earning money.

Dec

I dunno but that's what I paid for a couple just after they came out so it doesn't look like they're going to explode any time soon.

They went up to 6-8m about when they were being removed from the squeal but after people realized the demand was low because they were ugly as hell they dropped right back down.

Nebula

IGN just tweeted that Jagex are looking into getting Runescape on Tablets, Smart TVs and possibly Consoles.

I'd love it on Console.

freddy

Banned
IGN just tweeted that Jagex are looking into getting Runescape on Tablets, Smart TVs and possibly Consoles.

I'd love it on Console.

They tried to get them on PS360Wii but the platform holders wouldn't budge on cross platform play and either would Jagex.

Dec

I'd love it on Console.

Yea consoles wont happen for the same reason it hasn't happened yet, they couldn't play with everyone else because of the closed online systems.

As for the tablets and things, Jagex has said they are not focused on getting RS3 working on them, but if when they switch to html5 it works, then it's a happy coincidence. Their effort is 100% on the RS3 PC client.

Could focus on fixing any bugs tablets have when running the desktop engine later on though.

Dec

Anyone tried the interface beta yet? Thing feels really wonky, not sure if I like it. Everything is super blocky and I feel a tightly designed non customizable interface is a lot better than this super blocky, module based thing. Certain things don't allow you to change the size so you just have to build around them, making it a little awkward looking. I actually just think the old interface system is much better in terms of usability.

On the plus side, moving and zooming the camera is better, full fledged options menu. Bout it I guess.

Rashid

Banned
It's a good f2p game. Played it for 4 years, getting close to my first 99. I'm at level 94 magic. If anyone wants to add me my RSN is King Ras, I'm f2p at the moment and will be probably till the summer. Level 172 combat.

Dec

It's a good f2p game. Played it for 4 years, getting close to my first 99. I'm at level 94 magic. If anyone wants to add me my RSN is King Ra's, I'm f2p at the moment and will be probably till the summer. Level 172 combat.

Added :) Name on there is the same as here.

Since it comes up sometimes here's the official statement about tablets and other devices from yesterday:

While technically the HTML5 client can be played on some mobile devices, the game hasn't been updated to be played on touch screens.

Our next big project after RuneScape 3 is to work on a tablet version of RuneScape which is customised for touch control and smaller screens, but this this is a very large and long term effort which we'll talk more about at the end of the year.

Dec

Sorry for double post. Is anyone playing currently? Planning on starting up a clan for when more gaffers try the game after the RS3 launch but need one more person to start it.

o DeathCubeK o

Neo Member
I haven't played in close to a year and don't have mems, but if some gaffers are down to play I might start up again. Name is Rolo Tomassi. I don't really remember my stats but I was alright.

I have absolutely no clue how combat works now or how to make cash moneys. Just a fair warning!

Dec

I haven't played in close to a year and don't have mems, but if some gaffers are down to play I might start up again. Name is Rolo Tomassi. I don't really remember my stats but I was alright.

I have absolutely no clue how combat works now or how to make cash moneys. Just a fair warning!

Got 3 gaffers playing atm. Added you.

o DeathCubeK o

Neo Member
I'm at a friends house at the moment so I might be on later tonight. What do you all usually do on RS and what skills are you folks working on? I have no clue how to do much of anything anymore.

Is dungeoneering any better? I hated it when it first came out, felt like a cop out of a skill but I don't really anymore. Have they released what the new skills are going to be that are coming out this year? There are two coming out, right?

Thanks for the add! I'll be around later.

Dec

I'm at a friends house at the moment so I might be on later tonight. What do you all usually do on RS and what skills are you folks working on? I have no clue how to do much of anything anymore.

Is dungeoneering any better? I hated it when it first came out, felt like a cop out of a skill but I don't really anymore. Have they released what the new skills are going to be that are coming out this year? There are two coming out, right?

Thanks for the add! I'll be around later.

Working on mining in the Living Rock Cavern atm. and unlocking more islands to journey to with my ships.

Dungeoneering has had mainly just convenience updates like better solo xp and a toolbelt to hold all tools.

One of the new skills has been announced the other not. "Divination", only description we know thus far is "Old school skilling, new school rewards" or something to that effect.

o DeathCubeK o

Neo Member
There are ships now? Whaaaaaaaaaat? Are they still talking about that Far East Continent or was that always just speculation? I don't really recall.

LRC still the way to go, eh? I think I'm 88 or so? Do GAFFers have a home world? Most of my friends have moved on mostly so I'm totally open to hopping worlds.

After looking it up, seems like Divination will be a raw material gathering skill, sounds good to me. People can't just buy their way there.

Sorry for all the questions, just relearning it all!

Nebula

There are ships now? Whaaaaaaaaaat? Are they still talking about that Far East Continent or was that always just speculation? I don't really recall.

LRC still the way to go, eh? I think I'm 88 or so? Do GAFFers have a home world? Most of my friends have moved on mostly so I'm totally open to hopping worlds.

After looking it up, seems like Divination will be a raw material gathering skill, sounds good to me. People can't just buy their way there.

Wow the Far East threads on the forums. That takes me back. Stuff was very interesting to read, and learning about all the ties some of the lore has to other lands is pretty damn fascinating.

I've not played in a few months myself now so I can't help there. Got bored of 07 and I'm not a fan of EoC :(

Dec

Yea there are player own ports. You get a random 10 or so missions a day (reset 8PM EDT) and you can change out hulls, cannons in place of food crates since some missions don't have combat, and crew that have expertise in certain things to increase your chances of a successful mission.

After unlocking the later islands you have chances to get ancient recipes and workshop plans. You can learn to make Rocktail Soup, the best food in the game. The best defensive armor in the game for melee, mage, and range. Plus Scrimshaws to put in your pocket slot that function like a second aura.

East content isn't in yet. They said they want to finish off all the black edges on the current map first.

LRC is still the best for mining, yea. But with the new action bar it's really easy to superheat and drop the bars. It can all be set to hotkeys. Been watching the Giantbomb P4 Endurance run while I do it :D.

We don't really have enough people for a home world, but could set one up I suppose. I just go where the best ping is for me.

Yea Divination is gathering, the other unannounced skill is a crafting skill like smithing etc.

Don't worry about the questions. There is a ton of content in this game and more added all the damn time. This is why I want to have a clan ready, I'm expecting some people to try the game again or for the first time and have no idea at all what to do, and it'll be easier to help in game.

o DeathCubeK o

Neo Member
Holy smokes, my stats are so much better than I remember. Pretty jacked. With this new EoC, what're your guys' preferences on combat gear? I already have bandos and what not, but what about weapons? I guess whips suck now?

Dec

Holy smokes, my stats are so much better than I remember. Pretty jacked. With this new EoC, what're your guys' preferences on combat gear? I already have bandos and what not, but what about weapons? I guess whips suck now?

I think mainhand whip with enhanced excalibur offhand is the best for low cost dual wielding. Saradomin Godsword for two hand though that's 32m.

If you're willing to put the time in, Chaotics are the second best in the game for melee. Drygores are the best but cost a bit over 100m for a set.

Edit: Don't price check your Bandos :p crashed so hard after EoC

Rashid

Banned
Just thought I'd show some of my flips for GAF. Making at least an easy 200-250k a night if (I remember) buying and selling green d'hides.

SfTFfGX.png

Does anyone want me to do a flipping guide for the OP? It's a great money making scheme and puts you in a good position for skilling if you do it with raw materials. Could also do a high alchemy guides for people training magic.

Top Bottom