• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sackboy A Big Adventure and Returnal for PC screenshots reportedly leaked.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
sad wilfred mott GIF

Lol wtf is this a joke??

Holammer

I’m glad that more people can enjoy Returnal :).

Awesome game and please use a Headset !
Are there any PC users that don't use headset nowadays? It's not representative of course, but everyone in my circle of friends have sony or sennheiser headsets and yeti mics.
Have to go back 20 years to find anyone with these beauties again.

4wb99lo5jdk31.jpg

PhaseJump

Banned
I think I'm going to look into and get Sackboy if it shows up on Steam. If it is more Mario than LBP in how it plays.

Lol wtf is this a joke??

Probably not a joke. Guy is a console warrior, now with apparently a few delusions of grandeur around who he is, and what he means to Sony.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Weird, never had any problems in my win 10 laptop. Bluetooth was integrated and not a dongle tho, dunno if that matters.

Btw, using Windows 11 already? Is there a reason to switch from 10?
It's about the same for me to use as 11. It does not add anything special. Just hides some windows more.
But it looks nice and changes things up a bit, if not for just a sake of it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably not a joke. Guy is a console warrior, now with apparently a few delusions of grandeur around who he is, and what he means to Sony.
Personally I always thought his anti-Jim Ryan crusade was just a farce to balance out his pro-PS views.

I might be wrong though. The guy might be super serious after all.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
who says they wont? a new title update could bring RT to ps5 version and then realease on PC with all the bells and whistles...

Eh i don't see how they can push any sort of RT for PS5 version. The game seems to pushed to the max based on 1080p internal resolution. Even if they somehow found additional headroom, I would think upping resolution would take priority over RT features.

This does make me wonder what PC requirements will be.

This doesn't really affect my plans for a PS5 ATM since Sackboy's almost two years old at this point and Returnal is over a year old (plus that one could be 2023), and the bigger 1P games like Rift Apart and Miles Morales (and Spiderman in general) are still MIA on PC.

But if it means those bigger 1P games come to PC a year or less after PS5, and that's a regular pattern for the non live-service games, then it might be something other people consider. Me? It still won't do too much since I also want PS+ Extra or Premium and there's stuff in the PS Collection I need to play, so I have a sizable backlog in that case and the 1P games are still going to come and I can buy those on the console as I see fit.

What I do hope is that they don't do PC Day 1 for the non live-service games or shorten the release window because I actually feel pushing console & PC Day 1 is why some of Microsoft's 1P games have had ongoing issues. Halo Infinite and even Forza Horizon 5 seem to have issues related to certain technical performance (quite a few with Halo obviously, but FH5 having some big LOD pop-in issues) that I don't think they'd have if the teams weren't split between XBO, Series S, Series X, and a multitude of PC configs on top of that. That might also be why content updates have been rather slow for them.

I don't want Sony's 1P games to suffer those same issues and even though HFW looks fantastic and runs great while being cross-gen I also saw the issues it had performance-wise at launch that, were probably exaggerated for sure, but usually aren't there with big Sony 1P releases. I don't want to see that grow into a bigger issue if they have to start considering a wider net of platforms to optimize for on Day 1 or within a few months of each other. I don't think the trade-offs there are worth it.

So if they can optimize better by focusing on a single platform spec, make sure performance is tight and content where it should be, then worry about porting (if they're going to port) to PC a year or so later, cool. Ideally they could do more content expansions for non live-service games and time those out like 1.5 - 2 years after initial release and release that and a PC port with the original & expanded content simultaneously Day 1, if they really want to do Day 1 for non live-service games in a way that won't potentially negatively impact their console sales and revenue.

But, those are just my thoughts.

Eh i don't see how they can push any sort of RT for PS5 version. The game seems to pushed to the max based on 1080p internal resolution. Even if they somehow found additional headroom, I would think upping resolution would take priority over RT features.

Didn't Spiderman get RT added for PS5 with a RT mode?

Last edited:

Banned
RT reflections in Returnal, nice, seems like more than just a 1 to 1 port then

also, maybe this State of Play will finally actually start the era of simultaneous or close PC releases for Sony

Last edited:
I wonder if Returnal will be too easy if the mouse controls are good. Maybe best played with a controller for the genuine experience?

nikos

Sackboy is really good, play it if you skipped it on PS5.

I'm definitely in on Returnal. Played it for a bit but I held out for a PC version.

I’m selling my PS5. What’s the point anymore.
But you won't be able to play Astro's Playroom! The one game they will never port.

e: Talking of selling consoles I sold my PS5 days ago and replaced the controller with a new PS4 one and I've gotta say, it's night-and-day with how well I can play some more demanding games when I don't have to contend with the cushioned face buttons on the PS5 controller

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Look Im no Bryank and Im glad Sony isnt just doing a bare minimum job porting these games, but they shouldve offered something. maybe a 40 fps mode? I paid $500 to Sony for a PS5. $70 for the game on Day one. One of the few 500k players to do it. And now they go above and beyond for PC users? Meanwhile Im sitting here with my $600 trying to arm chair engineer an RT solution for this ray traced capable console.

I mean the game isnt even pushing any graphical boundaries. Why is it even 1080p? It almost never drops frames so its likely running 80-100 fps like Ratchet. Why not release a VRR patch like insomniac did? Why not offer a 40 fps mode with ray traced reflections and skip shadows if thats too expensive?

I can see why some people might feel a bit disappointed by how much effort Sony is putting into their PC ports because the same effort isnt being put into PS5 versions.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Look Im no Bryank and Im glad Sony isnt just doing a bare minimum job porting these games, but they shouldve offered something. maybe a 40 fps mode? I paid $500 to Sony for a PS5. $70 for the game on Day one. One of the few 500k players to do it. And now they go above and beyond for PC users? Meanwhile Im sitting here with my $600 trying to arm chair engineer an RT solution for this ray traced capable console.

I mean the game isnt even pushing any graphical boundaries. Why is it even 1080p? It almost never drops frames so its likely running 80-100 fps like Ratchet. Why not release a VRR patch like insomniac did? Why not offer a 40 fps mode with ray traced reflections and skip shadows if thats too expensive?

I can see why some people might feel a bit disappointed by how much effort Sony is putting into their PC ports because the same effort isnt being put into PS5 versions.

Who knows if Housemarque is even doing the port. Could be Nixxes or Iron Galaxy or Jetpack or anyone else. Also nothing stopping them from adding things now. Didn't they just release a multiplayer patch?

Belthazar

who says they wont? a new title update could bring RT to ps5 version and then realease on PC with all the bells and whistles...

Yeah, that's the only way I see then doing that as I doubt them wanting the comparisons to be too harsh on the PS5 version.

Stuart360

I dont think its always a casre of Sony going 'above and beyond' for PC users. I mean maybe PS5 just couldnt do ray tracing, the game is already at 1080p internal resolution right?.
There is also the posibility that Sony maybe thinking of going back and updating PS5 games whenever PS5 Pro comes out.

Swift_Star

Banned
This doesn't really affect my plans for a PS5 ATM since Sackboy's almost two years old at this point and Returnal is over a year old (plus that one could be 2023), and the bigger 1P games like Rift Apart and Miles Morales (and Spiderman in general) are still MIA on PC.

But if it means those bigger 1P games come to PC a year or less after PS5, and that's a regular pattern for the non live-service games, then it might be something other people consider. Me? It still won't do too much since I also want PS+ Extra or Premium and there's stuff in the PS Collection I need to play, so I have a sizable backlog in that case and the 1P games are still going to come and I can buy those on the console as I see fit.

What I do hope is that they don't do PC Day 1 for the non live-service games or shorten the release window because I actually feel pushing console & PC Day 1 is why some of Microsoft's 1P games have had ongoing issues. Halo Infinite and even Forza Horizon 5 seem to have issues related to certain technical performance (quite a few with Halo obviously, but FH5 having some big LOD pop-in issues) that I don't think they'd have if the teams weren't split between XBO, Series S, Series X, and a multitude of PC configs on top of that. That might also be why content updates have been rather slow for them.

I don't want Sony's 1P games to suffer those same issues and even though HFW looks fantastic and runs great while being cross-gen I also saw the issues it had performance-wise at launch that, were probably exaggerated for sure, but usually aren't there with big Sony 1P releases. I don't want to see that grow into a bigger issue if they have to start considering a wider net of platforms to optimize for on Day 1 or within a few months of each other. I don't think the trade-offs there are worth it.

So if they can optimize better by focusing on a single platform spec, make sure performance is tight and content where it should be, then worry about porting (if they're going to port) to PC a year or so later, cool. Ideally they could do more content expansions for non live-service games and time those out like 1.5 - 2 years after initial release and release that and a PC port with the original & expanded content simultaneously Day 1, if they really want to do Day 1 for non live-service games in a way that won't potentially negatively impact their console sales and revenue.

But, those are just my thoughts.

Didn't Spiderman get RT added for PS5 with a RT mode?
I don’t really care since I have no desire for a pc.

nowhat

I wonder if Returnal will be too easy if the mouse controls are good. Maybe best played with a controller for the genuine experience?
One (quite essential in Returnal) thing is being able to dash/dodge into a certain direction, and no, WASD doesn't offer that. So while mouse aiming will help, in other aspects a controller is probably better. And if Sony/Housemarque ports all of the DualSense features over... yeah, it's the genuine experience. Not many games so far really have taken advantage of the controller fully, but Returnal certainly is one of them.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Go ahead, Sony doesn't care. You're one out of 120+ million PlayStation console owners. Insignificant, even more so now due to titles coming to even more users on PC. Sony stays winning while you throw a temper tantrum over exclusivity.
Wish you'd say this to Bryank, poor guy seems to be losing his mind over some ports. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

And of course there are reasons to own a PS5. Some exclusives might never get ported, and it's cheaper and easier to use than a PC.

I'll always prefer playing on PC, but consoles still hold their value imo.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Go ahead, Sony doesn't care. You're one out of 120+ million PlayStation console owners. Insignificant, even more so now due to titles coming to even more users on PC. Sony stays winning while you throw a temper tantrum over exclusivity.

Good, because I don’t care about Sony too. At least with Series X I have a good reason to keep it as it’s an excellent BC machine that allows me to play great games that never was released on PC (like SSX3 for example). I just hope that Sony will continue to release their games on PC. If GT7 is announced for PC, I’m selling my PS5 the same day.

DukeNukem00

Banned
One (quite essential in Returnal) thing is being able to dash/dodge into a certain direction, and no, WASD doesn't offer that. So while mouse aiming will help, in other aspects a controller is probably better. And if Sony/Housemarque ports all of the DualSense features over... yeah, it's the genuine experience. Not many games so far really have taken advantage of the controller fully, but Returnal certainly is one of them.

Of course you can do that on m/kb. Dont forget that m/kb is a combo. Its not sepparate. You use the mouse if you want to have very granular change in dirrection, but its 100% not necessary. You can dash in any dirrection just with wsad. The main dirrections plus diagonal ones cover the entirety of 360. But no pc player plays like that anyway, you always use the mouse in combination with wsad. You dont play like console players do on pads where the movement is mainly used. On PC the camera is mainly used. Theres not gonna be a single thing that wont be 10 times better on m/kb than pads in this game

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Good, because I don’t care about Sony too. At least with Series X I have a good reason to keep it as it’s an excellent BC machine that allows me to play great games that never was released on PC (like SSX3 for example). I just hope that Sony will continue to release their games on PC. If GT7 is announced for PC, I’m selling my PS5 the same day.
Good for you I guess? Go sell your ps5 already. We don’t care lmao.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who knows if Housemarque is even doing the port. Could be Nixxes or Iron Galaxy or Jetpack or anyone else. Also nothing stopping them from adding things now. Didn't they just release a multiplayer patch?
Does it matter? Sony is funding the dev. Sony should be funding both PS5 and PC enhancements.

My issue isnt with Housemarque here. Imagine if Forza Horizon 5 shipped with RT on PC only even though the Series X is perfectly capable of RT. You dont think people would be miffed about it?

Good for you I guess? Go sell your ps5 already. We don’t care lmao.

How old are you people lol throwing a tanty because the guy said he was going to sell a console because exclusives are going to PC. Why take personal offence at someone selling something they no longer get value from?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How old are you people lol throwing a tanty because the guy said he was going to sell a console because exclusives are going to PC. Why take personal offence at someone selling something they no longer get value from?
Hey, welcome to NeoGAF, you'll get used to it sooner or later.

Swift_Star

Banned
How old are you throwing a tantrum over a person saying they don’t care about what the other said?
Why take personal offense of something that isn’t directed at you?

Top Bottom