• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure | PC Version Thread

Holammer

9764C7E11A66B95BB1D10432B105B6BDCCADE607

Knocked down Dynamic Shadows & Anti-Aliasing a notch to High and it gave me a solid 1440/60. Not bad for a humble GTX1080.
As others mentioned, the game drops frames during cut scenes, but it's no biggie as VRR sorts it out.

Plays great and it gave me good chills.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Seems like it is good port aside from ULTRA ray tracing and it seem high rt runs great.
PS5 version don't have any RT?
And I've seen some reports about pc version having no HDR. is it true or ps5 version also don't have hdr ?

I am still deciding which version to get. This game looks cute as fuck and music is funky. I regret not getting it 2 years ago now that I look at some videos

Midn1ght

Seems like it is good port aside from ULTRA ray tracing and it seem high rt runs great.
And I've seen some reports about pc version having no HDR. is it true or ps5 version also don't have hdr ?

I am still deciding which version to get. This game looks cute as fuck and music is funky. I regret not getting it 2 years ago now that I look at some videos
You can't go wrong with either version, the game looks and runs great on PS5 as well.
Regarding HDR, it seems it's missing on both version but I could be wrong.
No RT on PS5 I believe.

Last edited:

Fabieter

It has RT just on reflection u think

Holammer

No HDR options in-game, turned it on in display settings and tried windowed fullscreen with no effect.
If you get in PC, you can play it on the Deck too.

5EE6309DEEB11630E3918BB5362B73B9C9CAEDCF

Steam Screenshots get fucked up colors when you have HDR enabled, a problem for Elden Ring for example. No such problem here, but the colors and presentation are (dare I say?) fabulous.

E8880220311CEF80603BCB7BB1616021354A7A79

Example of missing HDR metadata.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
  • 720p@60fps on base PS4 and PS4 Slim
  • 1080p@60fps on PS4 Pro
  • Dynamic resolution on PS5, averages around ~75% of 4k, 60fps as other versions

Much appreciated

If my friends are down playing through this again I just might get it then

Edit: man watching the video on Steam with all of the features, Sony really goes all out with these PC ports. They don't fuck around. Love to see it.

Last edited:

sainraja

I wish Sony would put their games on GOG again. After Horizon, they haven't done so and I can't understand why. I would totally double dip on every release if they did so. I might pick this up on EGS but.....please get them on GOG.com! Outside of Horizon, the only other game I bought on PC has been Uncharted (fav series). I like God of War also but had been hoping for a GOG release but will probably pick that up soon.

I'm buying it just to support Sony's porting efforts. I have no interest in actually playing it.
It is a good game, you should play it. Some levels are pretty easy (specially the earlier ones) but it does have some challenging levels too. Some levels also require co-op play.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

It runs at 35-40 FPS on a Ryzen 9 5950X and a RTX 3080 Ti with DLSS on Quality Mode at 4K @ Max Settings. It's not even CPU limited. It just needs an RTX 4090 to play it at 60 FPS with everything maxed out. Poorly optimized if you ask me.

Some 4K screenshots on my website: https://www.pcmrace.com/2022/10/27/...a-big-adventure-en-4k-con-detalles-al-maximo/

Sackboy-Win64-Shipping-2022-10-27-17-11-05-534.jpg

Sackboy-Win64-Shipping-2022-10-27-18-01-48-286.jpg

Sackboy-Win64-Shipping-2022-10-27-19-53-23-629.jpg

Ray Traced Reflection on Ultra is ridiculously taxing even on a 4090. putting it down one notch seems to do the trick. A video I posted shows the game running at 1440p60 with RT and DLSS on Quality on a 3060 Ti (Even reach 4K60 with DLSS on Performance). It's just that particular "Ray Tracing Ultra" setting that seems to tank performance.

It also seems like there's shader compilation at the beginning (but no visual indication to confirm so don't quote me on that). Port seems fine, hopefuly DF gets a look at it.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Literally the least desired port, just why lol
Also sending this out in a middle of a busy holiday season. I guess some parents will buy it to play with kids...except that's not how PC works

Stuart360

Also sending this out in a middle of a busy holiday season. I guess some parents will buy it to play with kids...except that's not how PC works
It looks like a silly port on paper but i have the feeling they released this just to show PC gamers that Playstation also make other types of games other than third person action games lol.

Anyway is this worth playing my Sony guys?, i'm not against giving the game a try.

OverHeat

« generous god »
It looks like a silly port on paper but i have the feeling they released this just to show PC gamers that Playstation also make other types of games other than third person action games lol.

Anyway is this worth playing my Sony guys?, i'm not against giving the game a try.
Game is awesome give it a go!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Alright, a bunch of people in my favorite Steam group bought it so I am in. I'll let you know my experiences with performance. RTX 3080 (10 GB), i9-11900KF, 32 GB DDR 4, some super fast NVM.e drive, 4K 144hz display, should be fun

Ray Traced Reflection on Ultra is ridiculously taxing even on a 4090. putting it down one notch seems to do the trick. A video I posted shows the game running at 1440p60 with RT and DLSS on Quality on a 3060 Ti (Even reach 4K60 with DLSS on Performance). It's just that particular "Ray Tracing Ultra" setting that seems to tank performance.

It also seems like there's shader compilation at the beginning (but no visual indication to confirm so don't quote me on that). Port seems fine, hopefuly DF gets a look at it.
Wonder if ultra rt is doing the cyberpunk overdrive mode technique

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
OK, I played the first three levels (edit: two, I guess the first doesn't really matter as it's an intro) with Steam friends. All max settings aside from that "extra raytracing" option or whatever it is - so 4K, ultra, and I am getting between 57-59 fps and the HDR looks amazing. With that option enabled I get 50-52 fps.

So if anyone is getting poor performance with a RTX 3080, might wanna look into if you have other processes eating up compute or something.

Oh and the Windows support for the DualSense is commendable. Feels the same as when playing on the PS5 as far as I can tell

Edit: ugh I got a Gingerbread crash twice in a row while joining an online session. Good news is the game is super active now, finding sessions instantly. Just hope you don't crash

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Another PC port missing HDR? I hate that. PC version should be the definitve one but once again it's missing something important.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Shader compilation stutters are pretty bad. I wish it compiled shaders in the main menu like Uncharted and HZD does.
I've seen a few reports saying the stutters almost completely vanish after a couple levels. Might be a case of shader compiling in the background without any visual indication it does. Don't know if it's a one time thing or doing it every time you restart the game (or if it does at all).

Regarding performance, yeah, seems like they went balls out with RT so native + RT will test any system. The game will run well without RT even on older systems. So refreshing to see Sony delivering the complete package on PC, just wish they would figure out the pricing as well.

Md Ray

Purely testing ray-tracing performance impact on CPU (3700X) in this game. All RT effects such as AO, reflections, shadow were enabled/set to max in the "RT: On" run. Huge performance impact here, you lose -38% of perf going from no RT to max RT from a CPU perspective.

GPU/RAM used: RTX 3070/DDR4-3200

FgJiXvTaUAAm-Xv

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Yah too many games releasing on Steam recently. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and RE Village DLC today.

Midn1ght

Purely testing ray-tracing performance impact on CPU (3700X) in this game. All RT effects such as AO, reflections, shadow were enabled/set to max in the "RT: On" run. Huge performance impact here, you lose -38% of perf going from no RT to max RT from a CPU perspective.

GPU/RAM used: RTX 3070/DDR4-3200

FgJiXvTaUAAm-Xv
Thanks for sharing your results!

Hope someone could run the same test with Reflections on "Ray Tracing" instead of "Ray Tracing Ultra", curious about the difference between the two. The few videos I've watch shows that Ray Tracing Ultra is extremely demanding. Also wonder what's the visual difference between the two.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Downright retarded to have shader cache issues in 2022. Every dev should call playground games to be shown how it's done.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Alright, a bunch of people in my favorite Steam group bought it so I am in. I'll let you know my experiences with performance. RTX 3080 (10 GB), i9-11900KF, 32 GB DDR 4, some super fast NVM.e drive, 4K 144hz display, should be fun
Almost my system except I have a 3090 and 64GB of ram and I’m playing at 1440p 240hz all setting max out and DLSS balance and never do it dip below 60 average 90-100fps

Sony's been weird with this from the start. Almost never goes on sale (unless I missed it) and really should be on their PS+ thing by now. Price on PC is ridiculous, as others have said.

Guilty_AI

Although I agree the rrp is way too much, $10 is a bit low huh?! I'll get it when it's £20ish myself, cos I have a back catalogue to get through and I'm a patient man!
i'm a cheapo, what can i say

...but i am converting my regional pricing into dollar so what i'm actually saying is i'll wait for a 75% discount or something

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
i'm a cheapo, what can i say

...but i am converting my regional pricing into dollar so what i'm actually saying is i'll wait for a 75% discount or something
Hey I'm not judging, I never pay full price for games unless I anticipate they will be excellent, so the only game I paid full price for several years was Elden Ring and it was worth every penny! Otherwise, get in line and in sale (unless it's indie I suppose)!

Top Bottom