• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto comments on the developers of Metroid: Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I think he's implying that Metroid Prime 4 is made by an external developer here, but since it's not 100% clear, I went with the less strongly worded title.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-23-returning-to-metroid

Metroid: Samus Returns:

How did MercurySteam and Nintendo come to work together? How did that partnership begin?

Yoshio Sakamoto: For some time, I've wanted to take on the challenge of remaking Metroid 2. When considering the development I had to think about which team or partnership would be suitable. Around that time I heard MercurySteam wanted to take on the challenge of making a Metroid game. That's why I decided to meet them and also because, seeing their past work, I knew they had the talent and the knowhow to make a 2D scrolling game.

So I went to Spain and, discussing the project, I felt they really understood the series and that we could build a strong partnership to take on the project together. And, seeing their prototype, they managed to surpass my expectations which were already very high. Even in the very minute details they could get things right without me mentioning anything. I felt safe delegating to them and partnering up for this challenge.

What in particular about the prototype was it that surprised you?

Yoshio Sakamoto: The first thing that surprised me is how well the controls worked. They were smooth, swift - it matched very well to the Metroid gameplay - even surpassing the controls we've had in the past. While this game is based on the level design of Metroid 2, there were many changes made. I was really impressed. I asked the game director, who designs the levels, if he had told them to do this or that. And he said no, it was MercurySteam.

So yes, two factors - a smooth game control which fitted Metroid, and the ability to propose level design which fitted and yet was fresh at the same time. It's something which is really difficult when you think of it, and yet they did it in such a short time.

Metroid Prime 4 Implications:

This is the first Metroid from a truly independent external developer. Will we see this continue?

Yoshio Sakamoto: I don't really think of things as internal or external. What's important for me is we have a good chemistry with whoever develops the game, that they have a good understanding of the series and have the ability to add things which constitute improvements. Of course, when you deal with a partner you're not familiar with, you're not sure at the beginning if things will go well. However, if they go well, they go well. I feel our partnership was meant to be. When you have a team which is external but also from overseas, they have an even more refreshing perspective and the kind of challenges I want to keep my mind open to as well.

For Metroid Prime as well?

Yoshio Sakamoto: For Metroid Prime, I'm not in charge of that series - another producer is handling it. But generally speaking I think they look at their teams from the same basic perspective.

Ridley327

It's good to hear that Mercury Steam gelled well with Sakamoto's team. Considering their artistic talent, they always struck me as a talented bunch that needed a firmer guiding hand to help bring all of their design elements together in a satisfying manner, and they seldom get firmer than at Nintendo..

This quote is more interesting, especially the last sentence
It's Tanabe lol. This isn't some secret.

Also if anything THIS could be considered important.

Nintendo announced two Metroid games at E3 - like busses, you wait for years for one then two come along at once. Do you talk with the developers on Prime 4 since you're in development at the same time on the same franchise?

Yoshio Sakamoto: Firstly I would say that the announcement of both games at the same time was basically a coincidence.

A happy coincidence?

Yoshio Sakamoto: [Laughs] We didn't try to match together, and I think we started earlier than them. But perhaps that producer was influenced to stimulate his own side. Generally he lets me know what he's intending to create - and he did let me know.

The "we didn't try to match together, and I think we started earlier than them.

Did Metroid Samus Returns start in 2015?? If it did and he's not recollecting very well then Metroid Prime 4 could've started since 2015.

Eolz

This sounds weird and mainly comes from eurogamer saying from the start it's an external independent studio.
If that's the case, sure, but Sakamoto doesn't seem to confirm or imply anything.

This sounds weird and mainly comes from eurogamer saying from the start it's an external independent studio.
If that's the case, sure, but Sakamoto doesn't seem to confirm or imply anything.

That's what I read at first, but I believe they are still talking about Samus Returns at that point.

Yukinari

I honestly dont believe that Sakamoto hired them based on their previous work when all theyve done is clive barker's jericho and 3 castlevania games. All of which got middling reception except the 1st lords of shadow.

And the 2D entry on 3DS is painfully mediocre.

When was the last time Tanabe produced an internal game? Unless they've set up a completely new studio like some have theorised, it's likely that Prime 4 is being handled externally.

Neiteio

When was the last time Tanabe produced an internal game? Unless they've set up a completely new studio like some have theorised, it's likely that Prime 4 is being handled externally.
Maybe, but there's nothing in the OP to suggest one way or another

Ridley327

I honestly dont believe that Sakamoto hired them based on their previous work when all theyve done is clive barker's jericho and 3 castlevania games. All of which got middling reception except the 1st lords of shadow.

And the 2D entry on 3DS is painfully mediocre.

Nintendo has a thing for working with developers that don't have the greatest reputation but manage to turn out great results. Look at Next Level Games: can anyone even remember the last time they did some good without Nintendo?

Also important:

I'd prefer more Metroid games [laughs]. Would you like to revisit the kind of storytelling from Other M, which was a lot more character-focused?

Yoshio Sakamoto: That had a different narrative and it's own expression of a Metroid game. Right now we don't have any plans to reiterate the same approach. It's important we keep making something which is new and refreshing to keep the exciting for the series. And to use the past to keep things refreshing rather than get bogged down and simply reproducing the past.

Booyah.

-Setsuna-

I really wanna know what studio is developing Metroid Prime 4...
5RiK3Mw.png

Datschge

I'm somewhat irritated about Eurogamer claiming "This is the first Metroid from a truly independent external developer" when we already had Other M by Tecmo/Team Ninja. Sakamoto even mentions a "game director, who designs the levels" who's very likely Takehiko Hosokawa, so again same setup as Other M

Yukinari

Nintendo has a thing for working with developers that don't have the greatest reputation but manage to turn out great results. Look at Next Level Games: can anyone even remember the last time they did some good without Nintendo?

Yeah but Next Level now exclusively works for Nintendo much like Retro.

I mean hey if they want to use MercurySteam as a dev and turn them around id be all for it.

I'm seriously thinking Next Level Games is making Metroid Prime 4. They made Federation Force and got experience on Metroid (you know Nintendo loves when a group can get experience on something similar to what they make).

Tanabe produced FF and probably fit in comfortably there. Retro Studios is right in America with Next Level Games and can send some people over to help.

Xbro

I wanted to ask you about Rhythm Heaven, another game series you've worked on. There was a recent report there would be no more Rhythm Heaven - is this true?

Yoshio Sakamoto: We generally don't comment on those kind of rumours, but I don't remember us ever saying it was over. Generally speaking, if there's an oppurtunity, a motivation, a need, we consider all opportunities and leave the door open. That's all I can say.

So you wouldn't say it was dead?

Yoshio Sakamoto: No, it's not dead.

thereitis.gif

Xbro

The "we didn't try to match together, and I think we started earlier than them.

Did Metroid Samus Returns start in 2015?? If it did and he's not recollecting very well then Metroid Prime 4 could've started since 2015.

I thought I remember an interview with someone back then saying they were working on a game for both 2D and 3D fans.

I'm seriously thinking Next Level Games is making Metroid Prime 4. They made Federation Force and got experience on Metroid (you know Nintendo loves when a group can get experience on something similar to what they make).

Tanabe produced FF and probably fit in comfortably there. Retro Studios is right in America with Next Level Games and can send some people over to help.

I can say categorically that they are not making prime 4.

Zalman

Next Level Games is definitely possible, but I also think it's more likely they're working on another Luigi's Mansion. Pretty sure LM2 outsold every Metroid game ever made.

Wamb0wneD

Tanabe has a weird fetish with Sylux tho from Prime Hunters.

Hopefully that turns out well.

It's not that weird, he created him and wants him to be a big part of the lore badly. It's more annoying and maybe detrimental to the game than weird. Same shit with his raging Galactic Federation boner... I really hope someone reigns him in on that stuff.

They should do Luigi's Mansion 3 first.

Edit:

NLG should be doing Luigi's Mansion 3, not MP4.

Damn too late.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's going to be Next Level Games, it makes too much sense. They have made quality software with prestige IPs before and they just worked with Tanabe on a Metroid Prime title.

DMONKUMA

Aight is it tales from my ass season or are you guys gonna elaborate on your statements

I know moco at least was hinting at Samus Returns evee since last year before it was announced. They also said that another Metroid game we don't know about is in development.

So I imagine moco does know something.

Top Bottom