• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto comments on the developers of Metroid: Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4

Next Level Games is definitely possible, but I also think it's more likely they're working on another Luigi's Mansion. Pretty sure LM2 outsold every Metroid game ever made.
Yeah, it sure did. I'm ready for LM3 on Switch.

or 3DS for meltdowns

Wamb0wneD

It's going to be Next Level Games, it makes too much sense. They have made quality software with prestige IPs before and they just worked with Tanabe on a Metroid Prime title.

It makes way more sense for them to do a Switch game for that series that sold 5 million times on 3DS instead of the one that sold less than 100k and was way better received by critics and fans.
But maybe I'm living in bizarro world.

It's not that weird, he created him and wants him to be a big part of the lore badly. It's more annoying and maybe detrimental to the game than weird. Same shit with his raging Galactic Federation boner... I really hope someone reigns him in on that stuff.

They should do Luigi's Mansion 3 first.

Edit:

Damn too late.

I can't say I have too much opposition to the Galactic Federation nor Sylux -- FF aside the Federation isn't really invasive, and Sylux I can see end up being another "rival" hunter to Samus, and function like the SA X or Dark Samus, without just literally being "Evil Samus (tm)". He'd need some build up (or to fall into a pool of Phazon or some shit), but beyond that?

The Federation mainly acts as a foil to Samus, really -- takes a big army of guys to do anything, is less about saving the day than furthering Federation, and does it more or less in the background. MP3? Okay, could've done with less of them, but their role in MP2 was more or less perfect. Somewhere in between the two would be ideal.

Doorman

It will be be Bandai Namco.

You can mark this post for reference :)
Will do.

I'm surprised by how many people are treating NLG like some sort of slam-dunk call for Prime 4 because they just finished working on another Prime title. Except...are folks overlooking that it was a title that utterly bombed and was almost unilaterally panned by the community from moment one up to its release? I'm not really sure there's been any major Nintendo release with such a hostile reception from beginning to end like that, and I wouldn't be viewing that as a project that Nintendo would want to put them right back onto (nor one that NLG would necessarily want to run right back to). I don't think they should be done with Metroid altogether because of Federation Force, but they could really use a "palate cleanser" game first.

Plus, I may not recall the exact wording, but didn't the info trickle out from E3 term Prime 4 being built by "an exciting new team?" At least the implication then was that it was some internal team, perhaps EPD. Maybe it's actually a new external team but if that were the case I'm not sure why they wouldn't have just said so already.

I was hoping that MP4 would be developed by a new internal division at EPD.

That would help solve one of the problems Metroid's had for awhile: it doesn't have a consistent team backing it up, like how series like Zelda or Animal Crossing do. It's pretty telling Sakamoto has to keep bringing in outside studios like Team Ninja or MercurySteam to help make new Metroid games.

Will do.

I'm surprised by how many people are treating NLG like some sort of slam-dunk call for Prime 4 because they just finished working on another Prime title. Except...are folks overlooking that it was a title that utterly bombed and was almost unilaterally panned by the community from moment one up to its release? I'm not really sure there's been any major Nintendo release with such a hostile reception from beginning to end like that, and I wouldn't be viewing that as a project that Nintendo would want to put them right back onto (nor one that NLG would necessarily want to run right back to). I don't think they should be done with Metroid altogether because of Federation Force, but they could really use a "palate cleanser" game first.

Plus, I may not recall the exact wording, but didn't the info trickle out from E3 term Prime 4 being built by "an exciting new team?" At least the implication then was that it was some internal team, perhaps EPD. Maybe it's actually a new external team but if that were the case I'm not sure why they wouldn't have just said so already.

FF isn't entirely NLG's fault. We didn't have a mainline Metroid in so long and the first Metroid game they announced was some chibi multilayer Metroid game for the 3DS. It had it coming.

Mael

I'm somewhat irritated about Eurogamer claiming "This is the first Metroid from a truly independent external developer" when we already had Other M by Tecmo/Team Ninja. Sakamoto even mentions a "game director, who designs the levels" who's very likely Takehiko Hosokawa, so again same setup as Other M

Oh fuck it's going to suck, isn't it?
Level design was one of the worst aspect of Other M.

Mael

In the interview it said that Sakamoto was surprised by the level design, then learned it was Mercury Stream who did it.

Thank god someone competent is in charge!
The worst thing anyone should want is another disjointed, uncoherent mess like Other M was.

HYDE

Banned
If FROM made Metroid...I can die a happy man after I beat the game. Unless a Team Ninja Sheik game happens, then I'll need to live a while longer.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Can't elaborate much more, I just know development of MSR hasn't been easy.

You can check my messages and draw a line following the spots.

Goddamnit man, you keep teasing what appears to be another 2D Metroid game separate from M:SR, and by God I hope I'm reading you correctly and you're not BS-ing us. I was never a huge fan of Metroid, truth be told, but I would be up for a quality entry that respects the Metroid DNA on Switch. I know you can't elaborate, but still.

Goddamnit man, you keep teasing what appears to be another 2D Metroid game separate from M:SR, and by God I hope I'm reading you correctly and you're not BS-ing us. I was never a huge fan of Metroid, truth be told, but I would be up for a quality entry that respects the Metroid DNA on Switch. I know you can't elaborate, but still.

Just don't expect news about another 2D Metroid any time soon. Give M:SR space to breathe.

Doorman

FF isn't entirely NLG's fault. We didn't have a mainline Metroid in so long and the first Metroid game they announced was some chibi multilayer Metroid game for the 3DS. It had it coming.
While it's true that the reaction wasn't necessarily NLG's fault, they never exactly did much to blow people's doors off or force much change of opinion. Even with fan backlash aside, at best I've only ever heard it's "eh, not bad," as a game. Even just for PR's sake, associating the name with the brand again that soon would raise some dander. Announcing a new Metroid game from Team Ninja a year after Other M's launch wouldn't have gone over well, either, even if they tried to promise it would be better.

It's going to be Next Level Games, it makes too much sense. They have made quality software with prestige IPs before and they just worked with Tanabe on a Metroid Prime title.
Except they were taking 3 years to develop B-tier 3DS games. NLG is talented but I don't see them as being capable of developing MP4. Heck, I'm not convinced they could handle a Luigis Mansion Switch. Dark Moon's campaign was good but not great.

Care to elaborate? Do you know something?

Tales from my ass but they're not going to put NLG on what is arguably the most demanding series they have after they were responsible for the biggest critical flop in the series, even over other m.

They took nearly three years to.make fed force, it would take many more for them to do a full hd not mediocre game. If Nintendo is sensible at all, they're doing Luigi's mansion three.

Wamb0wneD

I can't say I have too much opposition to the Galactic Federation nor Sylux -- FF aside the Federation isn't really invasive, and Sylux I can see end up being another "rival" hunter to Samus, and function like the SA X or Dark Samus, without just literally being "Evil Samus (tm)". He'd need some build up (or to fall into a pool of Phazon or some shit), but beyond that?

The Federation mainly acts as a foil to Samus, really -- takes a big army of guys to do anything, is less about saving the day than furthering Federation, and does it more or less in the background. MP3? Okay, could've done with less of them, but their role in MP2 was more or less perfect. Somewhere in between the two would be ideal.

I agree with Prime 2 Federation being the best. If he has to bring them in (and he will, 100%) then he should let them simply not talk. As you already said Prime 3 was way too much of that stuff and I hope they look at all 3 games and take whats best of them.

Yeah Sylux might as well be the Dark Samus-like antagonist this time around and if they manage to pull it off, even better but until now he's been whatever to me and only worked in hunters because he wasn't the only one. I don't see it yet but who knows...

I have high hopes for Prime 4 after how BotW turned out and how Odyssey looks but I'm hard pressed to think of a studio that is at Nintendo's disposal that can pull of these environments and 3D level design that isn't Retro. Let's hope for the best i guess.

Ridley327

That would be like putting Playtonic on the next Mario game. Not happening. Would be hilarious though, true.
And right after laughing for one hour straight I'd be really really sad.

Not really. The developers at Playtonic have never worked on a Mario game, while the leads at Armature are intimately familiar with the Prime series.

That being said, it would be nice to get a Prime game that doesn't have some kind of key hunt in it, so I would prefer Armature not being on it since it's clear that Mark Pacini has a fetish for them.

Wamb0wneD

Not really. The developers at Playtonic have never worked on a Mario game, while the leads at Armature are intimately familiar with the Prime series.

That being said, it would be nice to get a Prime game that doesn't have some kind of key hunt in it, so I would prefer Armature not being on it since it's clear that Mark Pacini has a fetish for them.

True but ReCore was kinda mediocre just like Yooka, that's where I was coming from. And judging by ReCore and Tropical Freeze I'm not really sure that he was the main talent behind the Prime games. Not to say he wasn't also responsible for their quality but... yeah.

And yeah the key hunts seem to be his favourite way of padding the game lenght. I found the Prime 3 one alright though, nothing too aggravating.

Was there a key hunt in the Batman game they made?

How would a space pirate be samus's brother? That literally makes no sense. Unless Samus's mom was doing some....really bad and weird things in secret from her dad.

Sylux isn't a Space Pirate.

He's just a pirate. Who operates in space.

Two totally different things in the Metroid universe

Toxi

Banned
Sylux isn't Samus's brother and isn't a Space Pirate (as far as we can tell).

Sylux is just Sylux.

Prime 3's key hunt was perfectly fine though.

rekameohs

Banned

Perhaps the most important designer on Metroid Prime was Mark Haigh Hutchinson - worked on the camera system allowing for first person platforming and the integration of the morph ball - who died of cancer.

Ridley327

Sylux isn't Samus's brother and isn't a Space Pirate (as far as we can tell).

Sylux is just Sylux.

Prime 3's key hunt was perfectly fine though.

It was, especially since they hand you most of the ones you need for a bare minimum to unlock Phaaze through the story, including putting one right at the entrance to the Valhalla. It made it all the more strange that Armature went out of control on their original games since then in that regard.

KingBroly

Banned
It's so obvious Sakamoto want people to forgive him for Other M since years, it's almost sad in a way.

It's so obvious that it won't happen, either. He keeps talking like it's the best thing he's ever done when it's obvious that it was shit from top to bottom.

The art style of Samus Returns looking a lot closer to Prime than Other M says something about what they (Nintendo) want to do with the series more than anything if you ask me.

I don't think the quote really says much of anything in that regard.
I'll be shocked if it's actually an external developer that's been around making games. "A Talented New Development Team" doesn't sound like an independent external dev to me. Like, it might not be internal in Nintendo proper, but a new first party studio

Zero-ELEC

Banned
It's so obvious that it won't happen, either. He keeps talking like it's the best thing he's ever done when it's obvious that it was shit from top to bottom.

The art style of Samus Returns looking a lot closer to Prime than Other M says something about what they (Nintendo) want to do with the series more than anything if you ask me.

He never talks about Other M unless prompted and never really sings it's praises in any way, what are you on about?

Garlador

He never talks about Other M unless prompted and never really sings it's praises in any way, what are you on about?

Yeah... Sakamoto's mum on Other M. He's BEEN mum on it since launch, pretty much. The game has problems, but let's not go making stuff up here.

I don't think the quote really says much of anything in that regard.
I'll be shocked if it's actually an external developer that's been around making games. "A Talented New Development Team" doesn't sound like an independent external dev to me. Like, it might not be internal in Nintendo proper, but a new first party studio
When you have a team which is external but also from overseas, they have an even more refreshing perspective and the kind of challenges I want to keep my mind open to as well.

Yeah the fact that Nintendo advertised it as a new team makes me think they assembled a new team specifically for this. Sounds like it is a new team assembled from overseas. Although it could always be a 3rd party dev that has assembled a new team for Metroid Prime instead of a first party developer.

yuoke

Banned
Yeah the fact that Nintendo advertised it as a new team makes me think they assembled a new team specifically for this. Sounds like it is a new team assembled from overseas. Although it could always be a 3rd party dev that has assembled a new team for Metroid Prime instead of a first party developer.

I really feel like if it wasn't inhouse, they would have at least announced who the third party was at e3.

I feel like Sakamoto wasn't actually hinting that the Prime team was external, but that he's approaching how he feels about the Prime team in the same few as he saw MercurySteam; a team he is unfamiliar with but if it goes well it goes well.

This can either mean an external development team or a new internal dev team he's not that familiar with as a producer.

Ranger X

Well, outsourced Nintendo games have been quite consistently worse over the years compared to in-house games. Just that is telling alot. His answers are purely politics and worth the same as my poo-poo

Top Bottom