• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sand Land demo just dropped for PS4, PS5, Steam and Xbox

StereoVsn

w7kc23sashn61.jpg

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The demo is bare bones and just shows the vehicle combat with 3 vehicles, but that was enough to sell me on it. I can see this being a good time, and a nice change of pace type game. Plays surprisingly smooth for a vast open world. I didn’t see any pop in, and it feels solid 60fps, even in fairly heavy vehicle combat.

Also, feels like the vehicle customization options are going to make this fun.

Last edited:
Cautiously optimistic on this one after that 9 minute gameplay overview a few weeks ago. But still want to see the general consensus from reviews in April.

Vehicle combat is…fine. But it’s not the main selling point to me.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I like the art and the world seems interesting, but the main character looks meh and melee combat in trailers just looked like a chore.

bender

What time is it?
Weird demo as it really doesn't tell you much about the game. I explored the entire zone and repaired the Ubisoft tower. Exploring can be somewhat interesting (there is a underground temple entrance in the center of the quicksand area with the large alligators, there was a broken bridge in a temple that you needed to use the motorcycle to jump across, and I enjoyed platforming to the top of one of the cliffs for resources). Visually it is nice and it controls well enough, but the zone presented doesn't really offer any type of challenge and the enemies respawn far too quickly. Since you can summon any vehicle anywhere, I'm not sure what the benefit of fighting on foot is and if I'm honest, bypassed the mech as well in favor of the tank (combat) or motorcycle (speed of traversal). It seems like gathering materials is a focus of the game as that's how you repair the Ubisoft tower and hopefully you can upgrade you vehicles as well but I do think it is odd that enemies (bandits or creatures) don't drop materials. NPC chatter also repeats far too often. I get that this is a vertical slice but I came away from it with more questions than I went into it with.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Yeah I dont think the demo is doing the game any favors.

+ Like the art style
+ I can see where collecting & customizing vehicles could be fun

- Combat seems very simplistic
- Big field of random enemies feels basic and pointless to kill them, I guess youd get xp but they dont drop nuthin
- Small dungeon area I found feels equally basic
- Repetitive and lame idle chatter

Seems like a game for the kiddos.

Last edited:
Gonna have to agree with the complaints about the demo, it really is bare bones and hasn't done anything to make me want to buy it on day one.

I liked the demo. I mean this with the most praise possible: It feels like a fully realized dream of a Playstation 2 game developer. There are multiple parts of this game that has that PS2 charm to it, but it controls buttery smooth like a modern game would(and thank goodness for that).

Negatives and Positives:

+Art style and environments both have their moments of looking great. It almost crosses into gorgeous territory but there would need to be just a bit more done for it to wow me when driving through the desert listening to the nice music.

-Character dialogue repeated way too much in this demo. I'm assuming there would have been more lines but they simply weren't present. I ended up turning the dialogue volume to zero to experience the ambience of the music and sounds.

+Speaking of music, this game has some great, tranquil exploration tracks. Turn the music level up to 100 and thank me later. The default setting is too low to really experience it. There is one very similar to this and it definitely sets a mood:

The night time track was also incredible when riding around. When someone eventually uploads it on youtube I will share it here.

-The battle music is too distracting and detracts from the greatness of the exploration music due to it starting up even when you're driving past an enemy and they barely spotted you. A part of me feels that they should just remove it(or at least give the option to), and treat the exploration music as just the main track when doing everything, to set a mood.

+The gameplay felt polished and only a slight, slight bit of jank can happen when deploying a vehicle inside of a dungeon. On foot combos were nice and responsive, the bike/tank both controlled really well and at times reminded me of games like Mad Max and Twisted Metal when in combat. The mech felt nice and responsive, not too slow not too fast. Boss fights no matter which way you decided to tackle them, felt fun, responsive, and engaging.

-Exploration(Small Caves) need something better in terms of rewards. The only real cool part of exploring is finding hidden bosses or a chest, but the items in the chest aren't really put into play too much in this demo. Hopefully the full game fixes this.

+The larger dungeons felt better to explore. You can also deploy your vehicles inside of dungeons and it can lead to fun moments.

There are two paths for this game: Either it's going to fall short of being good enough for audiences, or it's going to be that gem that people will be upset they didn't buy when they should have, due to the sequel or studio or Bandai Namco simply moving on. My hope is that BN is looking at this game for what it will make lifetime-wise, and not day 1 sales as a barometer.

The price of this game makes it a rather large uphill battle to convince people to give it a chance. I look forward to reviews and impressions of the main game.

Reactions: Isa
The demo is bare bones and just shows the vehicle combat with 3 vehicles, but that was enough to sell me on it. I can see this being a good time, and a nice change of pace type game. Plays surprisingly smooth for a vast open world. I didn’t see any pop in, and it feels solid 60fps, even in fairly heavy vehicle combat.

Also, feels like the vehicle customization options are going to make this fun.
I’m excited to see how the ps5 pro runs it as well I suspect upscaled 8k or a 120fps mode

Stafford

I really want to love this game because it looks great, the real-time combat is quite fun both on foot and in vehicles. But the map, or well the part of the map they let you explore is rather boring? There was one temple I was able to enter, but nothing seems to be there? What am I missing?

The older man in the game says if I get stuck I should check the map, there doesn't seem to be a lot to do here? Objectives? If this game has fun exploration, reasons to explore it could be great. But in regards to that the demo is not selling me on it.

Also, the little chats get repetitive very fast.

Last edited:

Stafford

I need some feedback on the melee combat guys.

A lot of fun. There's the normal attack, heavy attack, you got jumping attacks and with LB + Y a cool special attack. Very enjoyable. There's something very satisfying about kicking the shit out of those raptors, lmfao.

I probably shouldn't be too worried about the game. One of the trailers showed cities, quests, stuff beyond the desert even. This demo is more like a combat showcase demo.

Last edited:

Stafford

Just watched this again. If this is how the game indeed is, it looks like a day one buy and in this case the demo really gives the wrong impression.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Not much to this demo, but it was decent. You just drive around, or run around and fight continually respawning enemies. It gives a nice taste of the combat which felt good. Music also is pretty awesome. Can't say much about the graphics since you are only in a bland desert but it looked sharp. Character VO repeated way too much, and the VO quality didn't seem that great (no emotion, like they had the guy that sweeps the cafeteria floor do the VO).

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I really want to love this game because it looks great, the real-time combat is quite fun both on foot and in vehicles. But the map, or well the part of the map they let you explore is rather boring? There was one temple I was able to enter, but nothing seems to be there? What am I missing?

The older man in the game says if I get stuck I should check the map, there doesn't seem to be a lot to do here? Objectives? If this game has fun exploration, reasons to explore it could be great. But in regards to that the demo is not selling me on it.

Also, the little chats get repetitive very fast.
Based on the message at the beginning of the demo, it sounds like they made the majority of things inaccessible just in the demo. They wanted people to experience the combat more than anything.

Stafford

Based on the message at the beginning of the demo, it sounds like they made the majority of things inaccessible just in the demo. They wanted people to experience the combat more than anything.

Yep. The gameplay overview video definitely made it clear how much there is in the game and this brand new trailer shows some more. I'm definitely still paying attention to this game.

Top Bottom