• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar blade demo on PS5 (revoked from PSN as mistake)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuji

this game doesnt have any collectors edition?

I really dislike paying 80€ for a plastic case these days. rather pay 100-110€ for a deluxe edition ...

Aenima

this game doesnt have any collectors edition?

I really dislike paying 80€ for a plastic case these days. rather pay 100-110€ for a deluxe edition ...
I dont think so. I only see the standard edition in physical format.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So just like God of War? Or Final Fantasy XVI? It even has the flashy finishers God of War uses. GoW Ragnarok has optional boss fights harder than most soul bosses and i dont remember ppl calling it a souls game.
Even Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has dodging and parrying......Its seems like people forget that there were other action combat looong before Demon's Souls came along.

Even Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has dodging and parrying......Its seems like people forget that there were other action combat looong before Demon's Souls came along.
I read someone say it has a bonfire type system with respawning enemies like Souls games. The combat is obviously very different, but so are the Nioh games and everybody calls those souls type games

Aenima

If im gonna list all action games that use parry and dodge i dont stop typing. Even Assassins creed games use dodges and parry.

GHound

maxresdefault.jpg

put the demo back up nerds or you're going in a locker

The design docs for Demon's Souls were sent back in time to 1982 and as a result Demon's Souls inspired every 3D action game that ever released. This is the true story they don't want you to hear.

Aenima

Looking back at the interview with the game director, he does say that Sekiro is one of the inspirations, as well as Bayonetta and others, being Nier the main inspiration.
But even using some mechanics Sekiro uses, that dosent make it a souls game. Souls game are punishing and challenging by design that try to kill the player all the time, either with ambushes, enviromental traps and hard bosses.

Stellar Blade has dificulty modes and assessibility options, its not trying to be a souls game. From the extended gameplay i saw, Nier was the only game i could relate more compared to Stellar Blade, and even so Stellar Blade seems to be using alot of inspirations from many diferent games.

Last edited:

Aenima

unless it has a bonfire type mechanic, I don’t consider the game souls-like. Don’t think this one has that.
It has a camp where you rest that respawn the enemies. But you dont lose your exp points when you die like in souls games. And plz dont tell me souls games also invented checkpoints.

Last edited:

Crayon

There's no more souls influence in there than you'd find in almost any arpg now.

I like how fast the locked-on stepping is. And then unlocked running, too. Also like the stubby dodge. I could go the rest of my life without another mile-long invincible summersault.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Ummmm…you do know most action games have dodging and parrying…right? I mean MGR is all about parrying enemies but that doesn’t make the game “Souls-like”.
Exactly
Resident Evil 4 and Callisto Protocol have blocking and parrying and countering, too.

Shift Up admitted that Stellar Blade is not like a Souls game but more like DMC

stickkidsam

There's no more souls influence in there than you'd find in almost any arpg now.

I like how fast the locked-on stepping is. And then unlocked running, too. Also like the stubby dodge. I could go the rest of my life without another mile-long invincible summersault.
How did ya feel about Lords of the Fallen’s dodges/steps?

It has a camp where you rest that respawn the enemies. But you dont lose your exp points when you die like in souls games. And plz dont tell me souls games also invented checkpoints.
Yea. Too me it needs the same high difficulty and losing your stuff/bonfire mechanic to be souls like. I don’t think this will do either. More like devil may cry final fantasy remake game to me. Even has the bench and vending machine

maxresdefault.jpg

put the demo back up nerds or you're going in a locker

The design docs for Demon's Souls were sent back in time to 1982 and as a result Demon's Souls inspired every 3D action game that ever released. This is the true story they don't want you to hear.

Don't worry a neogaf terminator will be sent back in time to correct the timeline.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

stickkidsam

Never seen it.
It’s pretty neat. It has Bloodborne sidestepping (so tighter than dodges) but there is also a dodge roll more akin to Souls games by double tapping the sidestep.

Guess I should’ve led with asking if ya enjoyed Bloodborne’s sidestep lol

GymWolf

A Korean. Karina from Aespa has that kind of face, and ample bosom for her small frame.
1072298_3040850_karina2_updates.jpg

With bangs for better reference:
mykLenz.jpeg
Yeah but tbf her face is probably a product of a 6 hands make up operation that last 3 hours, she probably looks absolutely nothing like those pics, we know how heavy koreans go with make up and shit to look dolly-ish.

Last edited:

Crayon

It’s pretty neat. It has Bloodborne sidestepping (so tighter than dodges) but there is also a dodge roll more akin to Souls games by double tapping the sidestep.

Guess I should’ve led with asking if ya enjoyed Bloodborne’s sidestep lol

I should say, when I say "stepping", I mean normal movement when you are locked on. I call it that from fighting games. 3d ones in particular. Everyone knows those have sidesteps, but "stepping" is when you get into a state where you freely walk your character around in 3d. Soul Calibur has stepping so fast and free that it's the most similar to a souls game.

I do. I like those dishes that are a shunt like that. The are much like a roll, which works as both a defense and a movement. My issue is that when the roll is so strong, it becomes a really easy option to pick. If you have a little dash instead, it is not as effective and you need to choose something else in some situations. Nameley, a block or parry for your defense, or stepping for movement and spacing.

My wife would only ever roll to get out of the way of an attack in ds. She saw me playing and how sometimes (just sometimes), stepping out of the way is enough to dodge an attack and you can step back in to counterattack faster than waiting for your roll to finish. Save stamina, too. You can play quite a bit and never notice that's an option though, because the roll is such a strong option.

Eiknarf

Banned
Maybe the focus on parrying/dodging but that's standard action stuff.

I know that when you rest, enemies respawn so that's kinda Soulslike.
Right

But the fact that there’s an EASY MODE SETTING also lets us know it won’t have brutal difficulty if you don’t want it to.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Right

But the fact that there’s an EASY MODE SETTING also lets us know it won’t have brutal difficulty if you don’t want it to.
If it's anything like DMC, I will absolutely need to play on an easier setting. I'm no slouch either with difficult games and I love a challenge but I am absolute trash at DMC combos. I will unintentionally gate keep myself due to lack of skills. Happened in DMC4 on PS3. 😅

Eiknarf

Banned
I hope there’s an option to play with normal clothes cause all these skimpy outfits are so cringe.
When it comes down to it, these types of outfits (whether it’s a lack of clothes, or revealing outfits) have been in music videos, movies and TV shows for decades and people called it brave, liberating and empowering.

So why is it a problem when it’s in games like this?

bender

What time is it?
The Souls influence in the demo was pretty obvious. Bonfire analogue that refills an Estus Flask analogue while resetting enemies and allowing you to spend currency (either upgrading your skill tree or buying items at a vending machine). That's not a bad thing and it certainly has other influences from character action games, but there is definitely Souls DNA within. I'd also argue the general feel of the combat has a lot in common with Souls games with the heft and how methodical it is which came as a surprise as I was expecting something more along the lines of DMC/Bayo.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
When it comes down to it, these types of outfits (whether it’s a lack of clothes, or revealing outfits) have been in music videos, movies and TV shows for decades and people called it brave, liberating and empowering.

I get both perspectives.

It's personally cringe for me but I'm not against it at all. These days I'm 1000% even more in favor of it than I ever have in the past due to how absurd modern gaming has become with forcing a narrative/censoring things. Anime in general is cringe to me but I don't say that as a slight, it just gives me that reaction even if I'm trying to learn how to appreciate the medium. I've never been big into anime as a whole.

At the end of the day it seems no more sexualized than something like Bayonetta.

Something about Stellar Blade just commands attention and now that Sweet Baby is on full blast, Stellar Blade is an immediate Day 1 purchase without question. Probably the deluxe version too for me.

Last edited:
I get both perspectives.

It's personally cringe for me but I'm not against it at all. These days I'm 1000% even more in favor of it than I ever have in the past due to how absurd modern gaming has become with forcing a narrative/censoring things. Anime in general is cringe to me but I don't say that as a slight, it just gives me that reaction even if I'm trying to learn how to appreciate the medium. I've never been big into anime as a whole.

At the end of the day it seems no more sexualized than something like Bayonetta.

Something about Stellar Blade just commands attention and now that Sweet Baby is on full blast, Stellar Blade is an immediate Day 1 purchase without question. Probably the deluxe version too for me.
this. a game featuring 'nude climax finishers'?! it's telling what media these folks just kinda quietly exempt from criticism...

All comes down to intentionality.

You're correct this type presentation has been present in all walks of media for decades.

The difference, which you've you pointed out but missed, is that while people have "called" it brave, liberating, and empowering...

Doesn't mean it is.

This, and similar games like Bayonetta, are intentionally designing the characters to be "sexy" or some skewed idea of it, that all of you non-pussy getting mofos subdcribe to.

Shit is not sexy. Not in the least.

They should take notes from CPDR...women don't have to be in ridiculously skimpy and over-the-top outfits to be sexy.

Cp77 Think GIF by Cyberpunk 2077

Last edited:

kevm3

Why did the fighting noises become so much more obnoxious in the American version? In the korean version they are much more subdued

Eiknarf

Banned
All comes down to intentionality.

You're correct this type presentation has been present in all walks of media for decades.

The difference, which you've you pointed out but missed, is that while people have "called" it brave, liberating, and empowering...

Doesn't mean it is.

This, and similar games like Bayonetta, are intentionally designing the characters to be "sexy" or some skewed idea of it, that all of you non-pussy getting mofos subdcribe to.

Shit is not sexy. Not in the least.

They should take notes from CPDR...women don't have to be in ridiculously skimpy and over-the-top outfits to be sexy.

Cp77 Think GIF by Cyberpunk 2077
Hey, don’t call me “non-pussy-getting”
I’m married with kids

Mk8UJ0j.jpg

I’m genuinely wondering why things are the way they are in video games

Last edited:
I mean Stellar Blade is Eve fighting alien creatures with over top action, so the character going have over the op design.

I dont play this game or most games for "realism" I enjoy over top designs in my games.
19625.gif
I mean the way you cherrypicked that sentence out of what I said leaves me a bit confused...

Are you saying that women do or don't have to be in ridiculously over-the-top outfits for you to find them sexy?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean the way you cherrypicked that sentence out of what I said leaves me a bit confused...

Are you saying that women do or don't have to be in ridiculously over-the-top outfits for you to find them sexy?
I'm saying I dont care for realism in video game and enjoy over top designs more....You say they should learn from CPDR how design characters and disagree.

Have a feeling like Lies of P, SB will probably be the best of its class of immitators but the 2nd game is gonna be some goty level shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom