• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson offered lead role in Ghost in the Shell live action film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

If there was 1 actress off the top of my head that I could buy as a white Motoko it would be
Faora_MoS.jpg

Hey this could work

pjD4BRb.gif

wildfire

Banned
I have zero hope for this. The Snow White movie was dreadful. And ScarJo is a horrible actress.

The director of SWatH was competent. He managed putting together a sequence of events that could've been a mess but visually ended up working. He even managed to make Stewart look better than she actually is.

Lunar15

I think they should go with an Asian actress myself, but hey, just get Ron Pearlman as Bato (not asian, but come onnnnnn) and I'll probably be excited.

The director of SWatH was competent. He managed putting together a sequence of events that could've been a mess but visually ended up working. He even managed to make Stewart look better than she actually is.

I'll take competent for Snow White, but Ghost in the Shell needs to kick major ass or it's just another wasted anime franchise shat on by Hollywood.

mltplkxr

Ever since the final scenes of The Girl Who Played with Fire, I think Noomi Rapace would be a great casting choice for Battle Angel Alita and now this too.

Kinyou

They should just 100% white wash everything, it works just fine and is less stupid.

Look at All You Need Is Kill, you know Cruisemissile's Edge of Tomorrow.
Whitewashing a remake isn't all that bad IMO when they also change the setting etc. as well. It also works in reverse, just look at the Japanese remake of Unforgiven

Blader

I'm not sure what we're arguing about, honestly.

I'm just saying I don't think how physically built Scarlett or whoever looks really matters here, since the character she's playing doesn't have a real body anyway and her muscle mass (or lack thereof) wouldn't determine her being believable in fight scenes.

Whitewashing a remake isn't all that bad IMO when they also change the setting etc. as well. It also works in reverse, just look at the Japanese remake of Unforgiven

Was that any good? I'd been looking forward to it for a while but it doesn't seem like there are any plans to ever bring it out of Japan

I'm just saying I don't think how physically built Scarlett or whoever looks really matters here, since the character she's playing doesn't have a real body anyway and her muscle mass (or lack thereof) wouldn't determine her being believable in fight scenes.

Clearly fight scenes will depend on a whole crew of people, I agree. We'll see I guess. I can only speculate so much.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

It's not really about that so much as:

1) Major's figure is very imposing in the anime/films. ScarJo just doesn't have that kind of presence on screen. She's like Tom Cruise. They would need to resort to a lot of trickery to make her look bigger than she really is, which opens room for dissonance.

Example (nsfw): http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/a390c16c8786ecfb16d65bb64a73ed65.webm

2) Major performs a lot of acrobatics I don't think ScarJo can convincingly pull off. We've come a long way from the wire-fu in the Matrix, but it's ultimately better to have physically capable actors perform physically "demanding" acting.

Haly

Makoto would be a more convincing Motoko than ScarJo.

Kappo.

Kinyou

It's not really about that so much as:

1) Major's figure is very imposing in the anime/films. ScarJo just doesn't have that kind of presence on screen. She's like Tom Cruise. They would need to resort to a lot of trickery to make her look bigger than she really is, which opens room for dissonance.

Example (nsfw): http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/a390c16c8786ecfb16d65bb64a73ed65.webm
To be fair, Makoto doesn't really look like this all the time either. That was a special moment where every artificial muscle kicked in.

We also see her looking like this:
also nsfw (duh)
which doesn't look particularly bodybuilder like to me.

Was that any good? I'd been looking forward to it for a while but it doesn't seem like there are any plans to ever bring it out of Japan
Unfortunately I haven't seen it either. The trailers looked good though.

How do these no name clown directors land such beloved and cherished franchises on their doorstep. I do not understand.
Depends on how you define cherished. On gaf, yea GITS is cherished but to mainstream audiences? Nope, not really cherished or known about all that much.

Dice//

Banned
i never got why she was naked in the first movie

isnt she a cyborg why even have boobs

it was better in the tv series

HEY. There is some very expensive hardware and processing units packed into her breast plates!

Scar Jo could work I guess, at least she's marketable.

I'm torn because I actually think GitS would be a *brilliant* series to adapt as it feels relevant to both the current trend and media climate (cyber crime? Shit, it fits with lord knows how many crime TV shows there are, and computers could generate some real damn nice effects). But yeah, I'm scared as hell it won't be adapted right and turn just into more shit worth forgetting about a week later.

Her cloaking device doesn't work with clothes.

It did in the 2nd movie and the tv show! I at least some purple leotard.

It just seems so unnecessary. Like hell if people don't like the movie at least they got some anime boobs. I've never read the comic, doesn't that get even more sexual?
Her normal body is actually a mass production model so she can better blend in for spy missions.
That makes sense.

Haly

It did in the 2nd movie and the tv show! I at least some purple leotard.
Well, yeah. Broadcasting standards required her to be actually clothed for long stretches of time.
It just seems so unnecessary. Like hell if people don't like the movie at least they got some anime boobs. I've never read the comic, doesn't that get even more sexual?
I didn't see it this way. For one, Mamoru Oshii isn't the type of director to put boobs in his films just because. As apologist as it may sound, it actually added to her character that she was willing to run around full nude whenever the situation called for it. It's not like she was looking for excuses to strip (except maybe in that opening shot).

Z..

i never got why she was naked in the first movie

isnt she a cyborg why even have boobs

it was better in the tv series

I always love it how clueless people are about GitS (1995). Mamoru Oshii's masterpiece is forever doomed to have wrong audience.

Dice//

Banned
I always love it how clueless people are about GitS (1995). Mamoru Oshii's masterpiece is forever doomed to have wrong audience.

Wasn't the manga about 1,000 times funnier (ie; it actually was funny as opposed to the serious tone of the shows/movies)??

I'm more curious who they'd cast for Batou. You can get a bunch of Hollywood foxes for the Major (of course only so many would suit); but Batou is...way more unique looking.

I'm a bigger fan of the manga than the movie to start with so it's sorta ok with me since in the manga they really don't look THAT Japanese. that said, yeah I would rather have the girl from Pacific Rim being Mokoto, but SJ is an understandable pick so I'm fine with it. (I swear it has nothing to do with my crush on SJ lol)

ps: wasn't the title attached to Steven Spielberg or somebody big for a while? what happened to that? and damn you James Cameron for getting Battle Angel Alita and then sitting on your ass to work on Avatar instead! give it to some one else if you're not gona work on it!!!

Z..

sorry i didnt write a dissertation on it

Wasn't the manga about 1,000 times funnier (ie; it actually was funny as opposed to the serious tone of the shows/movies)??

I'm more curious who they'd cast for Batou. You can get a bunch of Hollywood foxes for the Major (of course only so many would suit); but Batou is...way more unique looking.

Forget the manga and the show. The movie is a completely different breed of beast.

When you consider Oshii's influences (Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman, Michelangelo Antonioni, Jean-Pierre Melville, Jean-Luc Godard, Andrei Tarkovsky, Jerzy Kawalerowicz) you can see the movie for what it really is. Most of it's audience is completely clueless on the subtleties that make it such an amazing work. It demands to be taken seriously, and most people just watch it expecting to be entertained. The anime community in general is a bit clueless about what's being said in the movie.

RCSI

Ron Perlman (Hellboy, Pacific Rim) seems to fit the bill.

Edit: And of course, his name already shown up earlier in the thread.

Forget the manga and the show. The movie is a completely different breed of beast.

When you consider Oshii's influences (Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman, Michelangelo Antonioni, Jean-Pierre Melville, Jean-Luc Godard, Andrei Tarkovsky, Jerzy Kawalerowicz) you can see the movie for what it really is. Most of it's audience is completely clueless on the subtleties that make it such an amazing work. It demands to be taken seriously, and most people just watch it expecting to be entertained. The anime community in general is a bit clueless about what's being said in the movie.
I actually did write a paper on Breathless once though.

I dunno I can watch it again I suppose.

Maxim726X

Because nobody in Hollywood has faith that an anime could be adapted into a successful film. And why would they? When has that ever produced a box office success?

Hypothetically, if this film does well - higher profile directors will start considering adaptations from the medium, as studios would actually consider funding them. Nobody gave a shit about comic books until Spiderman set new records.

Right. I remember reading that Cameron was interested in directing an anime adaptation... Can't remember which one. That could kick start the whole thing, but only something like that.

Haly

The manga was much more lighthearted and Motoko was a more "normal" character.

The film is the one that turned her into a kind of cyberpunk icon.

One of the important parts of her character (from the perspective of the films), is how she was physically sexual, but emotionally asexual . IIRC, this is why Oshii changed her design from this:
Ghost_in_the_Shell.jpg

To this:
ieJ0w0SV2XmBF.png

Her manga design is very clearly feminine, even if you focus only on the face. In the films, however, her face is much more gender neutral. The contrast between her personality and her figure is all meant to imply that Motoko has really moved beyond what sex/gender means in our present day society. This theme is further explored in the series when you learn that
she has a whole stockpile of bodies she swaps in and out to suit her needs. And it's never actually confirmed what her birth gender is, nor does Batou ever look at her as a potential sexual partner despite her walking around with her boobs hanging out all day.

All this is intended to show the potential impact of cyborgs on human society. This is just another dimension you'd lose with an actress like ScarJo, who's is very much a female sex symbol.

But whatever, man. Hollywood gonna Hollywood.

Timeaisis

Well, I just lost all hope for this movie.

I don't get how some guy that directs a sub-par re-telling of Snow White lands a movie like this. It's like Hollywood knows this is gonna be garbage out of the gate. They're probably banking on the star power of Johansson and the cult following of the original to fill the seats.

Kinyou

I didn't see it this way. For one, Mamoru Oishii isn't the type of director to put boobs in his films just because. As apologist as it may sound, it actually added to her character that she was willing to run around full nude whenever the situation called for it. It's not like she was looking for excuses to strip (except maybe in that opening shot).
I always figured it was to show how detached she already is from being human and that she's beyond feeling shame. Similar to the naked Dr. Manhattan.

I always figured it was to show how detached she already is from being human and that she's beyond feeling shame. Similar to the naked Dr. Manhattan.

I think it was all those reasons. She probably doesn't think much about sexuality, or the implications of running around essentially naked, especially when she seems to be somewhere between bisexual and asexual and has probably been in both female and male bodies. I suspect her preference for female bodies is only to remind herself that biologically she was born female

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
She'd be...fine. I wouldn't be unhappy with that choice

I can definitely agree that, in theory, there could be a much better actress for that role, but I can't actually come up with any names right now

The Technomancer

Much like Bayonetta this is another situation where the actual behavior exhibited makes total sense and is even tonally consistent, but there are...camera shots that undermine that

Kinyou

Much like Bayonetta this is another situation where the actual behavior exhibited makes total sense and is even tonally consistent, but there are...camera shots that undermine that
I'd say the movie is actually very tame in that regard. The only part where there's a real focus put on her naked body is during the opening sequence, and even then it's somewhat excused since the whole sequence is about how her body is being made. The movie posters definitely have some of that going on though.

The Technomancer

I'd say the movie is actually very tame in that regard. The only part where there's a real focus put on her naked body is during the opening sequence, and even then it's somewhat excused since the whole sequence is about how her body is being made.

Yeah sorry, was kind of talking about the broader GitS media. The movie is fine

Dice//

Banned
I'd say the movie is actually very tame in that regard. The only part where there's a real focus put on her naked body is during the opening sequence, and even then it's somewhat excused since the whole sequence is about how her body is being made.

I still got a giggle because the first shot of the "skin deflaking" was right at her breast and nipple.

Ah well, and even if it meant getting her naked again, I do consider the part where she's full frontal nude and ripping that hatch off that tank one of the most impressively animated things ever (and probably the most complex shot in the film...which isn't saying much I guess since so much of it was just chat).

This is sort of neither here nor there, but I'd kill to see an anime do the voice acting first and match the animation to the mouth; so few seem to ever do this and when they try it looks awful.
27267ee842b6cb17712928faf38157dd.gif

Tacitus_

Well, yeah. Broadcasting standards required her to be actually clothed for long stretches of time.

I didn't see it this way. For one, Mamoru Oshii isn't the type of director to put boobs in his films just because. As apologist as it may sound, it actually added to her character that she was willing to run around full nude whenever the situation called for it. It's not like she was looking for excuses to strip (except maybe in that opening shot).

No, the nudity for thermoptic camo is only in the movie. Do I have to pull the caps of the manga opening scene (the same scene the movie uses) where she activates fully clothed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom