• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson offered lead role in Ghost in the Shell live action film

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLACKLAC

Every single solitary one of her fight scenes in every movie she stars as Widow suuuucked. They weren't believable in the least. I can't imagine her wrecking a guy convincingly on screen like kusunagi did in the knife fight scene.

Bullshit.

Winter Soldier.

Akahige

I still got a giggle because the first shot of the "skin deflaking" was right at her breast and nipple.

Ah well, and even if it meant getting her naked again, I do consider the part where she's full frontal nude and ripping that hatch off that tank one of the most impressively animated things ever (and probably the most complex shot in the film...which isn't saying much I guess since so much of it was just chat).

This is sort of neither here nor there, but I'd kill to see an anime do the voice acting first and match the animation to the mouth; so few seem to ever do this and when they try it looks awful.

27267ee842b6cb17712928faf38157dd.gif
The only anime movie I remember doing this is Akira.

BLACKLAC

Major performs a lot of acrobatics I don't think ScarJo can convincingly pull off. We've come a long way from the wire-fu in the Matrix, but it's ultimately better to have physically capable actors perform physically "demanding" acting.

Acrobatics really wont play any factor at all when making a pick as the stunt double will be doing the brunt of the work.

See Winter Soldier.

I didn't see it this way. For one, Mamoru Oshii isn't the type of director to put boobs in his films just because. As apologist as it may sound, it actually added to her character that she was willing to run around full nude whenever the situation called for it. It's not like she was looking for excuses to strip (except maybe in that opening shot).
Yeah, the nudity in Oshii's films is tasteful and serves a purpose.

RedSwirl

I'm more alarmed from the other people involves than the actress. A while ago it looked like even getting a female lead at all was going to be a long-shot. I guess there was always a low chance of somebody "big" getting involved wit this.

That's what's kind of depressing about Ghost in the Shell. Under the right circumstances Hollywood could knock it out of the park with this one. I mean, it's a cyberpunk cop story. That basic setup seems like a great fit for Hollywood, but Hollywood could also very easily fuck it up. The Japanese film industry would never have the budget to really do it live action, which is probably one reason the existing movies are anime films in the first place.

Anyway, I'll also say not every anime property completely hinges on a Japanese or even Asian setting. I don't think GitS does. Outside the series it's not often explicitly stated what city the stories take place in.

Applebite

ScarJo is a great actress, anybody that doesn't believe me needs to watch Lost in Translation, Her and Under The Skin. I'd blame script, director or lack of interest if she's acting badly in anything. Her performance as Black Widow has been believable enough for me, but aside from the Winter Soldier it's not like she had a lot of material to work with. Still, as I've never watched Ghost In The Shell, I couldn't tell you if she's a good fit for the main character.

ScarJo is a great actress, anybody that doesn't believe me needs to watch Lost in Translation, Her and Under The Skin. I'd blame script, director or lack of interest if she's acting badly in anything.

I think she's a good actress but that's quite a free pass. Some actors can be good but aren't consistently good and that's sort of where I see her.

Also, why would she act in something if there's a lack of interest?

RedSwirl

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if they wrote some excuse around the cyborg body. She could still be Japanese, but simply at the time be wearing a body that looks like ScarJo. If we're lucky they'll be profound enough to roll that into the character's gender complexities.

On the topic of Ghost in the Shell, is the recent blu ray release of the original, or that ugly 2.0 shit?

I've still got my Special Edition dvd, but would upgrade.

It is the original.

charsace

She is a better actress than Scarlett when speaking English though.

lol no she isn't. I don't think she's a better actress than Scarlett period. I thought Lost in Translation was a fluke and then Scarlett did Don Jon, Her, and Under the Skin. The problem with Scarlett is that she isn't super charismatic so when you throw her into super hero movies that are all about charisma and have her work with RDJ or Chris Evans and the scene calls for her to be charismatic she doesn't look good. The Major is the type of character she does a great job of playing.

Applebite

I think she's a good actress but that's quite a free pass. Some actors can be good but aren't consistently good and that's sort of where I see her.

Also, why would she act in something if there's a lack of interest?
The same reason anyone does anything with a lack of interest: $$$$. I'm not saying she's flawless or anything, but I'm just saying that if her acting is off and nobody else is to blame, I'd assume it's due to a lack of interest and not giving it her all.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Forget the manga and the show. The movie is a completely different breed of beast.

When you consider Oshii's influences (Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman, Michelangelo Antonioni, Jean-Pierre Melville, Jean-Luc Godard, Andrei Tarkovsky, Jerzy Kawalerowicz) you can see the movie for what it really is. Most of it's audience is completely clueless on the subtleties that make it such an amazing work. It demands to be taken seriously, and most people just watch it expecting to be entertained. The anime community in general is a bit clueless about what's being said in the movie.

This is pretenious

Meesh

With Scar Joe in the lead I'll take it for a boot, hopefully it doesn't completely suck.
Edit: I'd prefer Alba but hey, live action anime starve here.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ScarJo is a great actress, anybody that doesn't believe me needs to watch Lost in Translation, Her and Under The Skin. I'd blame script, director or lack of interest if she's acting badly in anything. Her performance as Black Widow has been believable enough for me, but aside from the Winter Soldier it's not like she had a lot of material to work with. Still, as I've never watched Ghost In The Shell, I couldn't tell you if she's a good fit for the main character.

I've seen lost in translation. Her acting there is just as wooden as it is in most her films.

I think the best case scenario is something akin to Macross Plus > Stealth, where you just take the core premise and do something completely different and name it something else entirely, because making a white washed GITS ain't gonna make anyone happy.

Ninjimbo

I've seen lost in translation. Her acting there is just as wooden as it is in most her films.
Watch her in Ghostworld or in some of her Woody Allen films specifically Matchpoint. She has some range and is able to draw empathy with her performances. Under the Skin is great too. Don't judge her on her mainstream stuff. Those films barely have enough story as it is. There's almost nothing there for an actor to truly take a bite off unless it's RDJ playing Iron Man.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I still can't get over the idea of all the characters being white in a GITS movie.

She's overrated in terms of acting ability and attractiveness. (Butterface with a decent ass and mediocre rest).

I'd rather they give it to someone more talented.

P.S. Lost in Translation is one of my favorite films. She only works in it because of the same reasons that Keanu worked so well in The Matrix.

P.P.S. I watched Under the Skin as well, she again pulled off the role because she was being vapid, that's her default setting.

karasu

P.S. Lost in Translation is one of my favorite films. She only works in it because of the same reasons that Keanu worked so well in The Matrix.

P.P.S. I watched Under the Skin as well, she again pulled off the role because she was being vapid, that's her default setting.

She;s the female Ryan Gosling.

I am okay with Scar Jo playing this role. After Lucy and Black Widow, I can totally see her playing the Major. I'm more concerned about the rest of Section 9.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Watch her in Ghostworld or in some of her Woody Allen films specifically Matchpoint. She has some range and is able to draw empathy with her performances. Under the Skin is great too. Don't judge her on her mainstream stuff. Those films barely have enough story as it is. There's almost nothing there for an actor to truly take a bite off unless it's RDJ playing Iron Man.

I've seen all those. She was okay in Ghostworld, decent in Matchpoint. She seems to have gotten worse with her acting though. I find her to be pretty average to bad in general. I dunno. I've never been impressed by her. She was okay in Her, but I found her 'overacting' at times. :/

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
On the topic of Ghost in the Shell, is the recent blu ray release of the original, or that ugly 2.0 shit?

I've still got my Special Edition dvd, but would upgrade.
It is the original.

Oh shit. We finally got a Blu-ray of the original version?! HALLELUJAH!

... *reading up on it* ...

Shame it sounds like the subtitles include some errors, and the Japanese audio track is in puny stereo.

So close, but still a couple steps from ideal.

DOWN

Banned
Didn't realize people don't like 2.0. I didn't think the CGI fit, but I couldn't see much else wrong.

She's pretty average in The Prestige and Iron Man 2. I think she's in a groove recently - but there was a stretch in her career where she was so-so.

Ninjimbo

I've seen all those. She was okay in Ghostworld, decent in Matchpoint. She seems to have gotten worse with her acting though. I find her to be pretty average to bad in general. I dunno. I've never been impressed by her. She was okay in Her, but I found her 'overacting' at times. :/
I honestly don't understand how anyone can consider her performance in Her simply 'okay' when she made the conversations sound completely natural despite not even being present for the filming. I thought it was really good.

RedSwirl

Oh shit. We finally got a Blu-ray of the original version?! HALLELUJAH!

... *reading up on it* ...

Shame it sounds like the subtitles include some errors, and the Japanese audio track is in puny stereo.

So close, but still a couple steps from ideal.

Eh. I stick with the dub anyway.

that would be rage inducing. If they're going to re-adapt it to take place in a western country then they need to no pull some halfass racist bullshit

But they probably will

They probably will do what Godzilla 2014 did. They will throw in some French actors to confuse you internet lots who analyze everything from the racism angle.

s_mirage

I didn't see it this way. For one, Mamoru Oshii isn't the type of director to put boobs in his films just because. As apologist as it may sound, it actually added to her character that she was willing to run around full nude whenever the situation called for it. It's not like she was looking for excuses to strip (except maybe in that opening shot).

Hmm. Possibly, however, seeing as the movie was partially western financed and was released at a time where anime was generally being sold in the west with boobs and explosions, colour me cynical about the purpose of the nudity. Boobs in the trailer = cash in the bank!

Scar Jo as Motoko? Yeah, not sold on that. I can see where they're coming from: they've seen her as Black Widow and can see her in another action role in a skin tight outfit. Bad move IMO, especially if it's not going to be a pure cartoony action film.

wsippel

Banned
The manga was much more lighthearted and Motoko was a more "normal" character.

The film is the one that turned her into a kind of cyberpunk icon.

One of the important parts of her character (from the perspective of the films), is how she was physically sexual, but emotionally asexual . IIRC, this is why Oshii changed her design from this:
Ghost_in_the_Shell.jpg

To this:
ieJ0w0SV2XmBF.png

Her manga design is very clearly feminine, even if you focus only on the face. In the films, however, her face is much more gender neutral. The contrast between her personality and her figure is all meant to imply that Motoko has really moved beyond what sex/gender means in our present day society. This theme is further explored in the series when you learn that
she has a whole stockpile of bodies she swaps in and out to suit her needs. And it's never actually confirmed what her birth gender is, nor does Batou ever look at her as a potential sexual partner despite her walking around with her boobs hanging out all day.

All this is intended to show the potential impact of cyborgs on human society. This is just another dimension you'd lose with an actress like ScarJo, who's is very much a female sex symbol.

But whatever, man. Hollywood gonna Hollywood.
The manga does this as well, but it does it a bit differently - and better in a way. While she's essentially asexual in the movie, which is a bit of a cop-out, in the manga, Motoko is portrayed as a sexually active bisexual. That, in addition to her behavior in general and the fact that she doesn't mind switching to a male body, shows that she has no real concept of gender, but that doesn't mean she doesn't like sex. She's still human and she still has human urges.

The manga does this as well, but it does it a bit differently - and better in a way. While she's essentially asexual in the movie, which is a bit of a cop-out, in the manga, Motoko is portrayed as a sexually active bisexual. That, in addition to her behavior in general and the fact that she doesn't mind switching to a male body, shows that she has no real concept of gender, but that doesn't mean she doesn't like sex. She's still human and she still has human urges.

I really need to read the manga. Can I read it legally online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom