• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serial Season 2 - Focused on Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl - CPM Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

potam

Banned
We basically condition our soldiers to behave in inhuman ways for the sake of "the mission", and we expect them to somehow retain all mental faculties. Despite overwhelming numbers of veterans coming home with PTSD and other debilitatations, as long as they can "keep it together" while out on the field, they're fine - otherwise they get life in prison or the death penalty.

The military can only operate if the troops "keep it together". You can't compare the military world with the real world. They're two different beasts.

If he were really having issues, he could have spoken with his chain of command or his chaplain. It would be ignorant to say it would be easy for him, but he did have channels. Instead, he abandoned his guard position, leaving his friends vulnerable. And then, they had to conduct search and rescue operations to attempt to find him.

There are different standards expected of the military, because they operate under different circumstances. If the military let everyone who just wasn't feeling it quit, it would fucking collapse.

Now, had he been completely fucked in the head upon his return (like babbling nonsense), then maybe we could look at it from a different angle. But as far as I see it, he did something fucking stupid putting his friends at risk. I have no sympathy.

Yeah, I haven't followed it much either, but I feel like the hero fantasy was a much bigger motivator. The part about demonstrating the dangerous incompetence of his superiors seems like a "Oh shit, what I did was bad" rationalization.
He strikes me as a simpleton with fantasies that border on delusion. I don't think it's unlikely that he held those two strange beliefs -- my superior is incompetent and I am a super soldier -- at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a history of mental health issues and only managed to get himself recruited because the army was desperate for bodies. I'm guessing that's where the series will be going. He's a really weird dude.

e: actually, I take back what I said about him being a simpleton. He comes off that way, but I haven't heard enough to tell. But whether he's bright, dull, or somehwere in between, I think he's still a bit off mentally.

jtb

Banned
What's the deal with the sponsors? I could've sworn one of the versions I listened to this morning has the infamous mailchimp ad but the version I downloaded five minutes ago has squarespace and audible? am I hallucinating? lol

This is off to a good start. I'm interested to hear from the Taliban on how they perceived everything and more about the 5 years in captivity.

While I don't think they were intentionally making a hero out of the Adnan Syed in Season 1, I definitely had some moral grey area concerns about the whole thing. Season 2 feels a bit more grounded down the middle, but there has only been one episode so we shall see.

What's the deal with the sponsors? I could've sworn one of the versions I listened to this morning has the infamous mailchimp ad but the version I downloaded five minutes ago has squarespace and audible? am I hallucinating? lol
My copy doesn't have anything about Squarespace or Audible, luckily. Are they read off by any of the Serial staff? It might be the app you're using, I think services like Stitcher force their own ads.

The first episode didn't grab me like season 1 did. Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of mystery here.
Shouldn't you be eating your hat or something. Hehe :>
I know, right? 2015, my ass.

yami4ct

First episode was really interesting to me. It feels like they might be fixing some of the major issues I had with season 1. First of all, it sounds like they've planed this ahead of time. Season 1's make it up as we go along style lead to highly uneven pacing and a last few episodes that were, frankly, kind of bad. I'm also really glad they aren't going true crime/mystery again. The community of internet detectives that sprouted up around S1 just made me extremely uncomfortable all around and made it hard for me to want to be associate with the show. Given the nature of this story, it seems like that should be less of an issue here.

Bergdahl comes off as a real crazy person who's delusions put others at risk, but that doesn't make his story less interesting to me. I'm fascinated to hear what he experienced under capture as well as the circumstances that lead to his rescue. There also should be some stories about the true repercussions of his actions that put what he did in perspective. My only worry right now is that the season might go along and push us to sympathize with Bergdahl, given he's one of our POV characters. Just going on what he said already, that's gonna be really tough to pull off.

Brakke

Banned
I was enamored with season 1 at the beginning but then I majorly soured on it after that inane Let's Take a Field Trip To Best Buy episode. It was an interesting thing to think about but not a very interesting thing to listen to.

This seems like it will be a very different project, which I'm glad for. Interesting subject, too.

This one definitely lacks the appeal that the first one had for me. I sort of wish they had stuck with a murder case, or at least something that a lot of people weren't already aware of, but I understand that Koenig wanted to try something different.

I'm not as immediately enthralled, but I'm still tuning in. Killer cliffhanger for the next episode.

I love documentaries about all kinds of subjects, so having one to listen to at work is great. Especially when it's put together better than most other audio based docs. I enjoyed the first episode, I just wish it was longer.

border

There are different standards expected of the military, because they operate under different circumstances. If the military let everyone who just wasn't feeling it quit, it would fucking collapse.

It seems to me like the military hasn't had any problems since the end of the draft. Most people I talk to seem pretty proud and satisfied with their service. If you've built an organization or institution that would collapse without forced participation, then I'm not sure you've really built a very good organization.

CDX

My copy doesn't have anything about Squarespace or Audible, luckily. Are they read off by any of the Serial staff? It might be the app you're using, I think services like Stitcher force their own ads.

My MP3 I downloaded from the website, earlier today, has Mail Kimp & Squarespace. No Audible.

hank_tree

My MP3 I downloaded from the website, earlier today, has Mail Kimp & Squarespace. No Audible.

I just downloaded it from the site and the first thing I hear is Jon Ronson talking about Audible. Which matches the version I got through iTunes.

MisterR

Not feeling it so far after episode 1. I'd have preferred another murder mystery. I'll stick with it though. Still pretty interesting.

Season 2 is out! Time to make another obviously guilty dude look slightly less guilty!!!

Also, I'm not feeling the intro. I wanted her to stick to the flow of the original:

-Open with a person talking through a recorder
-Same theme music plays
-Have Ira Glass introduce the episode
-Cue Sarah talking

Is that so hard!!!! Instead there is no theme music until 3 minutes in, and then it's a remix?!?!?!? I waited a year for this? lol, I'll still listen to it.

I agree. All i wanted from the second season is starting with the theme i know and love to really get that feeling of starting the new adventure/story.

Maybe it's just me but it doesn't seem to be so interesting as the first.
It could all change off course but i feel the story is already told. He did it for a silly reason to get attention and it all went more wrong. Done.

Really curious where this is going.

I thought this was so boring. For one, there's no real intriguing narrative. It basically starts as "He left his post, let's talk about it" and stays on that note the whole way through. Sarah is better at creating hooks than this.

Second, I am trying but don't give a fuck about this story. I think it's pretty clear that this man is extremely irresponsible and even a criminal. Hearing him say ~"I left to cause a dustwun and wanted to validate that I was what every man wants to be, jason bourne" just makes me think he's an egotistical lunatic and I have no interest in spending multiple hours hearing Sarah trying to guess what makes him tick.

Flop. Rush release season 3!

Here's the transcripts for Episodes 1 and 2 of serial:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tf9zC1atDaClrBt2waYpMQP8UHB034FdxzvhajOFw2A/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cy0p5YZ98oxeIJnkRY5gyu0lGfGv7uz2s8JhG72RPS4/edit

Go ahead and do a "Find" on those pages and search for "solve" and tell me what you find.

The term "figure out" in context of her aiming to figure out the case or spending the last year attempting to figure out the case appears 3 times in transcript 1 so not sure what you're trying to get at. S1 is great, no denying it, but seems clear she aimed to solve/figure out the case?

Lol jesus, after 1 fucking episode.

You must be a blast at parties.

It's not my fault Sarah didn't set the overarching concept and narrative up in episode 1. I'll give it another episode, but this seems like "Berghdal admits to what he did and why, let's talk about it." I'm not that interested to do this for 12 hours. I suppose the topic clicks or doesn't with some people, I'm not saying I doubt she can make any of the episodes amusing.

ultron87

My initial impression on Bergdahl matches what a lot of the rest of you have said. Really does feel like the "prove myself" aspect had a ton to do with it. Especially when he apparently decided he was just gonna trail down some terrorists as a side project of his walk.

I'm initially interested, but it doesn't feel like this has as engrossing as last season. Definitely curious to see where this goes that made the crew decide this was the story they wanted to tell. What his objections were to his current command is the thing I'd most like to hear.

ReAxion

The term "figure out" in context of her aiming to figure out the case or spending the last year attempting to figure out the case appears 3 times in transcript 1 so not sure what you're trying to get at. S1 is great, no denying it, but seems clear she aimed to solve/figure out the case?

And Serial was the journey of trying to get there. You don't just play video games to look at the credits sequence.

http://go.bloomberg.com/assets/content/uploads/sites/2/Bergdahl-03252015-Press-Statement.pdf

His lawyer concedes that he left, but is arguing that it should be AWOL because he intended to return and not pure desertion. He and his attorney are arguing that he only went AWOL as he intended to return and this wasn't pure desertion. The military's report hedges its bets on the AWOL versus desertion distinction.

Hell, his defense attorney doesn't deny that he wrote emails to his parents containing anger and resentment with the entire war.

Why don't you get off your high horse and read the articles available to understand the case rather than just listen to a podcast? I'm not just making shit up, I've actually looked into this topic previously.

Did you listen to the podcast? So far it doesn't contradict any of this. Further they have already brought up the wider ramifications that his desertion had on the safety of other soldiers and the tease for next episode indicates that they will probably start to dive into that in detail.

It seems like people immediately tried to graft a narrative onto this season that it was somehow out to make Bergdahl innocent or at least sympathetic. Maybe that materializes later but it certainly isn't here in the first episode.

And Serial was the journey of trying to get there. You don't just play video games to look at the credits sequence.

We'll agree to disagree. From her comments it seems pretty clear to some that Sarah accepted this, and investigated, in hopes of solving it, and to others that she wanted to explore the material and see what might happen. Is what it is.

Frog-fu

Banned
I just started listening to this a few minutes ago. Had no idea what the topic was going in. I'm apprehensive of the change, but I'll keep an open mind.

Also I kind of liked 'The Staircase'. It's a 10 episode show that gives insight into the defense of a man whose wife died in mysterious circumstances on a staircase. Not as great minute-for-minute as the jinx, but really fascinating in its own right.

Didn't that end up becoming sort of a problem with the first season? Random internet users digging and getting obsessed in ways that were less than ideal.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would like to distance themselves from that kind of thing this time by going with a higher profile case.

Isn't that partly why it's fascinating? Granted, a lot of people won't change their minds no matter what they hear, but many others will think about the military and soldiers in a new light. As the first season showed, few issues are purely black and white. I expect season two to take us down a similar path.

Fair enough.

Just finished it ... that ending is something I didn't expect!

PillarEN

Haven't listened to the episode yet. Uh, who's Mail Kimp? Don't remember this from season 1. Or is this a season 2 thing. Like I didn't notice this meme in the old thread

Edit: listening to ep 1. Oh right. That's Mail Kimp. No wonder I don't remember it.

Plasma

Banned
It's okay though it hasn't hooked me like the first episode of season 1 but I'll stick with it. I've honestly never heard of this guy before though maybe that's because I'm from the UK and it hasn't been covered as extensively over here as I imagine it was in the US. I just get the feeling from the first episode that he's a bit of a moron from the stuff he says about wanting to prove himself and be like Jason Bourne.

Jonnax

The subject is quite uninteresting compared to the grounded in ordinary life feeling that season one had.

It's hard to care about some military protocol being abandoned. Especially if you're not American. Season 1 had worldwide appeal.

Dalek

You're all wrong! I'm listening to it right now. It starts at 20 seconds in.

I wonder if they had two versions up for some reason. Mine was downloaded directly onto my phone in the podcasts app.

US store too. Wonder if that matters.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah I can hear it on the iTunes version right now at the start of the episode, starts @ 0:22 like Dalek said, after the Squarespace bit. Brazilian iTunes here, but I don't think that makes a difference. Mailkimp was there on day one and it's still there.

You're all wrong! I'm listening to it right now. It starts at 20 seconds in.

I wonder if they had two versions up for some reason. Mine was downloaded directly onto my phone in the podcasts app.

US store too. Wonder if that matters.

I'm on the Irish iTunes store and there is no Mail Chimp. The first advertisement is for Audible, followed by CBS Health (CVS Health?), and then Sarah begins talking. It was also downloaded as soon as it was uploaded, so that's not the issue. There are definitely two versions.

Serial ended on such a bummer it made me think it was a gamble that didnt pay off. This seems boring as theres no mystery to unravel. The Jinx is so much better asides from that interviewer. Sarahs inquisitive charm is the main draw to Serial I guess.

Arkeband

Banned
Serial ended on such a bummer it made me think it was a gamble that didnt pay off. This seems boring as theres no mystery to unravel. The Jinx is so much better asides from that interviewer. Sarahs inquisitive charm is the main draw to Serial I guess.

The Jinx is Grilled Cheesus. The only reason it even exists is because of the completely unexpected ending from everyone involved. It's unreasonable to hold any true crime media to that standard unless there's a freaking confession at the end.

Dalek

The Jinx is Grilled Cheesus. The only reason it even exists is because of the completely unexpected ending from everyone involved. It's unreasonable to hold any true crime media to that standard unless there's a freaking confession at the end.

The final episode of that is the most nerve wracking thing I've ever watched. The entire episode you're on edge wondering if they're actually going to be able to get him on film again.

Dalek

breaking news!

Bowe Bergdahl to Face Court-Martial on Desertion Charges

A top Army commander on Monday ordered that Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl face a court-martial on charges of desertion and endangering troops stemming from his decision to leave his outpost in 2009, prompting a huge manhunt in the wilds of eastern Afghanistan and landing him in nearly five years of harsh Taliban captivity.

The decision by Gen. Robert B. Abrams, head of Army Forces Command at Fort Bragg, N.C., means that Sergeant Bergdahl, 29, faces a possible life sentence, a far more serious penalty than had been recommended by the Army’s own investigating officer, who had testified that a jail sentence would be “inappropriate.”

In a terse statement after the decision, Sergeant Bergdahl’s chief defense lawyer, Eugene R. Fidell, said that General Abrams “did not follow the advice of the preliminary hearing officer who heard the witnesses.” Mr. Fidell said that the hearing officer had also previously recommended against a prison sentence. .

The decision followed a recommendation from the Army lawyer who presided over Sergeant Bergdahl’s preliminary hearing in Texas in September that the sergeant face neither jail time nor a punitive discharge and that he go before an intermediate tribunal known as a “special court-martial” where the most severe penalty possible would be a year of confinement.

That recommendation, made by Lt. Col. Mark Visger, came after the Army’s investigating officer, Maj. Gen. Kenneth R. Dahl, testified for the defense that prison would be “inappropriate.”

General Dahl, whose report formed the basis for the Army’s prosecution, also said that no troops died specifically searching for Sergeant Bergdahl and that no evidence was found to support claims that he intended to walk to China or India or that he was a Taliban sympathizer.

Sergeant Bergdahl, 29, was freed in May 2014 after President Obama approved trading him for five Taliban detainees who were being held at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. The exchange drew condemnation from Republicans and widespread claims that the sergeant had been a defector and that a half-dozen or more American troops had died searching for him.

The Army originally charged Sergeant Bergdahl in March with one count of desertion that carried a maximum penalty of five years in prison and one count of endangering the troops sent to search for him, which carried a maximum of life imprisonment.

At the Texas hearing, an Army prosecutor, Maj. Margaret Kurz, described a frantic but fruitless search for Sergeant Bergdahl in the weeks after he disappeared.

“For 45 days, thousands of soldiers toiled in the heat, dirt, misery and sweat with almost no rest, little water and little food to find the accused,” Major Kurz said. “Fatigued and growing disheartened, they search for the accused knowing he left deliberately.”

The prosecution’s witnesses included Sergeant Bergdahl’s former platoon leader and company and battalion commanders, who all recounted the scramble to find the soldier after he was reported missing early on June 30, 2009.

His former platoon leader, Capt. John Billings, testified about his “utter disbelief that I couldn’t find one of my own men.”

border

General Dahl, whose report formed the basis for the Army’s prosecution, also said that no troops died specifically searching for Sergeant Bergdahl and that no evidence was found to support claims that he intended to walk to China or India or that he was a Taliban sympathizer.

So nobody actually died during the search efforts? People in this thread were stating it as though it were uncontested truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom