• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X|S Parity Clause Changed: BG3 coming to Xbox this year, no split screen coop for Series S

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Wii u was almost a full generation behind, and yes the message was confusing. It didn't offer people a compelling reason to buy it over other consoles.

For the switch, It's not just the content, it's the one two punch of the content and mobility. Switch sells 20 million units if it's a standard home console. (If your lucky)
Plz, it has Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, Pokemon, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing.

The ability to have it on the go is def a seller, but it would have sold nothing if not for content.

Content is always king, and you can see that with Xbox and PS offering same gfx but one has content and the other doesn't.

I didn't say that, don't make things up.

I originally said I hadn't seen that it was outright cancelled and that it may be just a launch thing to get the Xbox versions out. Then Xbox confirmed they are still going to be working on it, which is good news.

Good at least your confirming that you didn't say that.

At least we agree that it may or may not come to the Series S. I'm sure that if it does Larian will share that with us. At the moment they are trying to make it happen. But of course everyone has their limits.

laynelane

We haven't seen this either....
44fpEVW.png

That takes me back. The FUD about the "weak" PS5 was really out of control back then.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Plz, it has Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, Pokemon, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing.

The ability to have it on the go is def a seller, but it would have sold nothing if not for content.

Content is always king, and you can see that with Xbox and PS offering same gfx but one has content and the other doesn't.

It would have launched on already weak hardware with one great game, and 2 regurgitated wii u games, it would not have been enough to give it momentum to attract 3rd party developers and any casual fans, especially after the wii u. Game over before pokemon, Smash, and animal crossing even come out. It would have been doa just like the wii u. It's critically flawed without being portable.

Last edited:

Fatnick

Is the Switch a portable console or a dockable hand held though? :messenger_open_mouth:

Also, if BG3 was on Gamepass, do you think MS could get away with achieving parity via just streaming the SX version?

Arachnid

I remember back during current gen launch, tons of posters here on Gaf defended the S and kept arguing specs to support the argument that the S would in no way hamstring the X. It's as easy as dropping some graphical settings, right? Those posters argued tooth and nail despite the fact that multiple devs voiced their concerns looooong before launch.

I wonder how they're doing. The S was always a stupid console.

Last edited:

sachos

Yeah ign still has it up. Wouldn't be surprised to see it suddenly dissapear.

Yeah i thought it would be that video, i remember how they made it seem you would get exactly the same graphics just at lower res. I think i remember another marketing video, more snappy with green text talking about the 1440p target res, it may be from the console reveal tweet iirc.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One could wonder if the parity clause was..............anti-consumer this whole time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Bodes even worse for the Series S. Pretty crazy how much the resolutions have dropped.

I always look at the series s and get it though. The thing is tiny, it's onky 4tf...you expect it to be worse. Its literally the size of like 5 or 6 dvd cases piled on top of each other.

Thr pa5 and series x are such monoliths I expected more. I can't believe we are at 720p on new release next gen games.

I always look at the series s and get it though. The thing is tiny, it's onky 4tf...you expect it to be worse. Its literally the size of like 5 or 6 dvd cases piled on top of each other.

Thr pa5 and series x are such monoliths I expected more. I can't believe we are at 720p on new release next gen games.

I guess the best question is which one will last the entire gen.

Katatonic

Well in BG3 case it would have meant a delay to the Xbox versions. That's not exactly beneficial to the consumer. So in a way the parity clause can be bad for consumers.
In this case, the consumers are Xbox owners. If the majority of them are on Series S, then then this is actually horrible for consumers.

Not to mention this scenario was promised by MS and their influencers to not happen.

Montauk

MS and their magical engineers couldn’t foresee any possibility of this, really?

They had such a rough ride last gen and they decided to complicate things with a second platform.

In this case, the consumers are Xbox owners. If the majority of them are on Series S, then then this is actually horrible for consumers.

Not to mention this scenario was promised by MS and their influencers to not happen.

Better than not having the game at all which is the worst option. Series S owners can wait for features. Missing out on the game is much worse IMO.

Montauk

This thread was a beaut.

“To be clear, my overall opinion of the console and its performance has not changed - Series S works but there's still the sense that the cutbacks to spec were a little too severe. Specifically, I still think it should have shipped with more memory and a wider interface for more bandwidth."

"It's still early days in the generation and in terms of how gaming will play out in the long term, it's still difficult to judge to what extent Series S will be able to keep up in a world where technologies like Unreal Engine 5 are already placing serious demands on Series X and PlayStation 5 hardware."

That’s Richard from DF, who is supposedly sent black sacks full of cash from Redmond every month according to lots of people here.

Sounds like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom