• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X|S Parity Clause Changed: BG3 coming to Xbox this year, no split screen coop for Series S

S0ULZB0URNE

So much for it’s the same game with lower resolution and lower frame rate 🤣🤣

The beginning of the end, feel sorry for people duped into buying it

images

All the expected tittering out of the peanut gallery for an objectively good decision is not surprising. I'm going to love the arguments when Nintendo brings out PS4-power hardware next year, and sells too many of the things for the industry to ignore.

Anyway, good for everybody, I'm still not going to get to it for a number of months thanks to Starfield.

Thus far Microsoft has reconsidered splitscreen co-op parity only. That is more likely for fidelity reasons than being unable to make something work. Some here are acting like the sky is falling.

Gambit2483

Reread my posts. My sights are squarely on the marketing of the Series S and the recent decision to overturn the parity clause. What will be more interesting is the ramifications of this precedent moving forward. If I had invested in a Series S and the Xbox ecosystem, I'd be fairly concerned.
I read it and my comment still applies. I know exactly how it was marketed and as I said, anyone with a brain would know that by using weaker hardware there was a high chance that MORE than graphics would be affected 4-5 years into the generation. If you bought a Series S really thinking that for 5+ years you were guaranteed the exact same experiences (minus res/fps) for HALF the price of the real console then you were only fooling yourself. If you were unfortunate enough to not know how CPU and RAM limitations work then blame MS for making you think the Series was future proof (or yourself for being that naive).

But the people who actually bought the Series S don't really care about that kinda stuff as long as the game plays, or so I'm told.

Gambit2483

That won't happen though, if fucking Immortals of the Aveum can run at 60 fps even with graphical cuts, as long as there's no very niche feature that pushes too much the ram like Split screen in an open world game, no dev will need that.

Also we don't know how BG3 works inside and Larian is pretty confident they can make it work with enough time anyway so it's probably a problem very specific to this case.

Also let's be honest, basically no dev out there is pushing game design systems like Larian is, which game is also PC first and foremost, we know nothing about how console versions are, they don't have resources to release those versions same day than PC version, they rushed a lot the final act of the game, so this is probably they biting way more than they can eat with their resources, and the game is very complex, literally the exception that made part of western industry cry on the internet.

There are too many factors that make this case difficult to replicate anywhere else in my opinion.
Judging by what many devs are saying behind closed doors I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Series S royally screws another games development....or maybe they will begin dumbing down development to accommodate Series S?

Like you said, there are many factors. I'm only saying "If" it comes to it, devs are either going to drop the Xbox version or Xbox will drop parity. What other options would there even be in such a situation?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
If you were unfortunate enough to not know how CPU and RAM limitations work...

You mean like the overwhelming majority of consumers who purchase these systems? Beyond price, aesthetics, disc drive differences and the lack of supporting 4K, they aren't going to be able to tell you what differentiates these devices. They also deserve zero blame for thinking they'd get the same experiences on the Series S as on the Series X minus the resolution as that is what Microsoft promised and marketed. So no, your comments really don't apply.

Three

You think MS is going to deny other exceptions after this very public change? It's not good business to give special privileges to certain developers over others.
Probably. You've got to realise that they have done this before. There was another "parity clause" during the 360 era which had to do with time of release. It basically said release at the same time or never release on xbox. However MS made very specific exceptions if the developer had decided to listen to the clause and release on PS3 to become a very popular game.

It's basically "this is still the rule but if we see it's hurting us more than it's hurting you for abiding by it we might offer a waiver"

Last edited:

Soltype

I'm not very privy to the strength of these new consoles, what exactly was the sticking point on getting this on the S, how much weaker is it compared to the X?

BoxFresh123

Because it had a very real chance of being GOTY and not being on Xbox at all this year would have looked terrible. If it was scoring 6's and 7's it probably still releases next year.

Lets see if these compromises are made for more games.

SABRE220

So Microsoft finally realized the reality of the situation, now the question is will this open the floodgates for S users as the gen go,s on and games become extremely demanding, to the point they start throttling the base consoles. I fear this might end badly for the Series S users.

Also Microsofts own very best went to support the developer and they still couldnt optimize the features to acceptable levels here, so can we stop with the bullshit excuse of lazy devs and incompetence every time devs actually make arguments against the series S being a roadblock? Every time a dev said something against the S they got dogpiled by xbox fans and even some journalists.

Last edited:
Yeah ign still has it up. Wouldn't be surprised to see it suddenly dissapear.

It was a cool ad at the time, ngl, except it was built on a foundation of lies. Really feel bad for Series S owners for getting duped and also X owners for being hamstrung by the aforementioned SKU (this especially stings as this is going to be a long generation). Having a digital and disc Series X would've been a much better choice for everyone, including the devs.

Gambit2483

You mean like the overwhelming majority of consumers who purchase these systems? Beyond price, aesthetics, disc drive differences and the lack of supporting 4K, they aren't going to be able to tell you what differentiates these devices. They also deserve zero blame for thinking they'd get the same experiences on the Series S as on the Series X minus the resolution as that is what Microsoft promised and marketed. So no, your comments really don't apply.
And that's exactly why they went with Series S, because most of them frankly don't even care. Why are you protesting so hard for a group of consumers where most of them don't even care?

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but the social media guy handling the Twitter Xbox account has said that they'll continue working on exploring the addition of split-screen on Series S post launch.

Well, now that the dust is clearing a little...the game didn't release in any console yet.
So, if September 6th is the day for PS5, when will it be for Xbox? One more month? Two...?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, now that the dust is clearing a little...the game didn't release in any console yet.
So, if September 6th is the day for PS5, when will it be for Xbox? One more month? Two...?
I think in November. Maybe a week or two after Call Of Duty.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
you mean like how the Wii flopped while being so underpowered?

We all know the only reason the wii didn't flop was the motion control gimmick. Once that fever died down and Nintendo tried another underpowered console with the wii u, well we all know how that went.

VulcanRaven

As a Series S owner I'm a bit worried about this. I hope this doesn't lead to other developers leaving more important features from the Series S version.

Last edited:

Right again.

He said explore.

Edit:

I saw that Topher Topher said Larian. That tweet wasn't from them.

So basically Xbox will continue to work with Larian to bring split screen to the Series S. However Larian didn't guarantee that it would have split screen. Unless it's comfirned I would wait and see if it actually happens. Remember they said the game would get delayed but it didn't happen.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
We all know the only reason the wii didn't flop was the motion control gimmick. Once that fever died down and Nintendo tried another underpowered console with the wii u, well we all know how that went.
The WiiU flopped because it was a 180 from the Wii. While Wii had a simple concept, easy to pick up and play controls, and a great library of games, the WiiU had the kitchen sink, confusing marketing pitch, and a good library of games that weren't as impactful.

Switch is doing amazing in it's 7th year because of the content is has, that is very different than PSXX. IIRC According to Nintendo it's an almost even split between those who play docked and handheld.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The WiiU flopped because it was a 180 from the Wii. While Wii had a simple concept, easy to pick up and play controls, and a great library of games, the WiiU had the kitchen sink, confusing marketing pitch, and a good library of games that weren't as impactful.

Switch is doing amazing in it's 7th year because of the content is has, that is very different than PSXX. IIRC According to Nintendo it's an almost even split between those who play docked and handheld.

Wii u was almost a full generation behind, and yes the message was confusing. It didn't offer people a compelling reason to buy it over other consoles.

For the switch, It's not just the content, it's the one two punch of the content and mobility. Switch sells 20 million units if it's a standard home console. (If your lucky)

Riky

$MSFT
He said explore.

Edit:

I saw that Topher Topher said Larian. That tweet wasn't from them.

So basically Xbox will continue to work with Larian to bring split screen to the Series S. However Larian didn't guarantee that it would have split screen. Unless it's comfirned I would wait and see if it actually happens. Remember they said the game would get delayed but it didn't happen.

They're going to continue working on it as it says, which is what I suspected. Spencer has managed to get the Xbox versions out this year and I expect split screen will come later to Series S as was going to happen anyway. Good news and a win for everyone.

They're going to continue working on it as it says, which is what I suspected. Spencer has managed to get the Xbox versions out this year and I expect split screen will come later to Series S as was going to happen anyway. Good news and a win for everyone.

Well that only happened because Spencer apoligized for his mistake by reversing the policy. There's no guarantee from the dev that split screen will come to the Series S. Since Spencer reversed the policy they don't have to deliver split screen if it isn't possible.

But at least both Series S and Series X owners can play the game which is the most important thing. Something that wasn't certain when Spencers policy was still in effect.

Riky

$MSFT
Well that only happened because Spencer apoligized for his mistake by reversing the policy. There's no guarantee from the dev that split screen will come to the Series S. Since Spencer reversed the policy they don't have to deliver split screen if it isn't possible.

But at least both Series S and Series X owners can play the game which is the most important thing. Something that wasn't certain when Spencers policy was still in effect.

Xbox won't confirm something definitely on behalf of a third party, but saying "stay tuned" seems they are pretty confident to me.

Great news.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Given the PS5 release date in relation to Starfield the Xbox date should be the same as Spiderman 2 for the sheer lulz.
That would be funny.

I think with the xbox team continuing to work on the split screen patch. That's the best way to do it.

Launch on series x feature complete vs ps5 then look to add missing couch co op to S later with no promises. Then everyone is happy.

Xbox won't confirm something definitely on behalf of a third party, but saying "stay tuned" seems they are pretty confident to me.

Great news.

He said explore which isn't a confirmation. Here fix the content of the tweet for you.

" Were working with Larian on the addition of split-screen on Series S, stay tuned! "

Now it's 100% confirmed. Feel better now?

What I difference one word makes right Parity Riky?

:p

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
He said explore which isn't a confirmation. Here fix the content of the tweet for you.

" Were working with Larian on the addition of split-screen on Series S, stay tuned! "

Now it's 100% confirmed. Feel better now?

What I difference one word makes right Parity Riky?

Don't be upset. I just said that Xbox aren't going to confirm something for a third party. However work is obviously ongoing, which is good.

I already acknowledged that Larian very well may try and get this to work, but Larian factually did not say what you said they did. So no....not "right again" about that at all. This tweet was hours after the fact. Weird flex my man.

I think its good that Larian isn't making any promises with this. If they achieve it that's great if they don't then that's fine at least they spent a long time trying to get it to work.

I don't expect Larian to do anything crazy to make this work but we have to wait and see what happens. They do have their limits on how much work they will put into this.

Riky

$MSFT
Nah I'm not upset I'm just in love with you.

Just don't like you telling people it's coming when that hasn't been confirmed. That's up to Larian to decide not Xbox.

I didn't say that, don't make things up.

I originally said I hadn't seen that it was outright cancelled and that it may be just a launch thing to get the Xbox versions out. Then Xbox confirmed they are still going to be working on it, which is good news.

Riky

$MSFT
We've only seen confirmation they are allowing the disparity at launch, have we seen a statement saying that the feature will not appear later? I haven't seen that myself.

I already acknowledged that Larian very well may try and get this to work, but Larian factually did not say what you said they did. So no....not "right again" about that at all. This tweet was hours after the fact. Weird flex my man.

I didn't say Larian had said anything. I was talking about Xbox allowing the disparity at launch.

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but the social media guy handling the Twitter Xbox account has said that they'll continue working on exploring the addition of split-screen on Series S post launch.

Exploring != Adding. You can explore all you want, but if you don't add anything it's just that. I think it'll probably never be added in the end, just like some other Xbox games that had the same promises which were never kept.

Top Bottom