• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X|S Parity Clause Changed: BG3 coming to Xbox this year, no split screen coop for Series S

Did they confirm split screen is never coming to xss?

I don't think so. But the again they never gave a date on when it would. My guess would be sometime next year if it's possible.

Also a possibility that if they are not forced to deliver it they might drop it.

Gambit2483

No they didn't. Their marketing clearly said the only change will be the graphics, not content, hence the parity clause.

Look, I'm not arguing for or against parity. It's Microsoft making dumb decisions with little forward thinking that's the issue here.
They KNEW it was weaker hardware. Weaker hardware does not only impact graphics. They were merely lying to themselves just as much as MS was lying to them.

I'm arguing against parity as it was and always will be a stupid decision MS tried to pull in their attempt at getting gamepass into as many households as possible (by selling cheaper/weaker hardware) . Everyone with a rational thinking brain saw this coming 3 years ago including MS.

Last edited:
What kind of content does split screen bring?
Chatgpt:

Split-screen is a feature commonly found in video games that allows multiple players to share a single screen simultaneously, each occupying their own designated portion of the screen. This feature is particularly popular in local multiplayer games where players can play together in the same physical location. The split-screen layout divides the screen into sections, typically horizontally or vertically, giving each player a view of their character's perspective and surroundings.

Split-screen content brings several advantages and gameplay experiences to video games:

1. Local Multiplayer: Split-screen enables friends or family members to play together without the need for multiple gaming consoles or devices. This promotes social interaction and friendly competition in a shared space.
  2. Cooperative Play: Players can work together within the same game world, coordinating their actions and strategies to achieve common goals. This fosters teamwork and communication among players.
  3. Versus Mode: Split-screen is often used for competitive multiplayer experiences. Players can engage in head-to-head battles, races, sports competitions, or other forms of direct competition, enhancing the excitement and intensity of the gameplay.
  4. Shared Exploration: In games with open worlds or expansive environments, split-screen allows players to explore the game world together, discovering secrets and tackling challenges collaboratively.
  5. Synchronous Experience: Split-screen provides a sense of immediacy and shared experience. Players can react to each other's actions in real-time, leading to spontaneous and unpredictable gameplay moments.
  6. Local Tournaments and Parties: Split-screen games are a popular choice for gaming parties and tournaments. Players can gather in the same location for a fun and engaging gaming event.
  7. Customization and Control: Some split-screen games offer customization options, allowing players to adjust the screen layout, choose their preferred perspective, or modify other gameplay settings to suit their preferences.
  8. Nostalgia and Retro Gaming: Split-screen gameplay has a nostalgic appeal, harkening back to the days of classic multiplayer games where players would gather around a single TV to play together.
  9. Balance and Fairness: Split-screen can level the playing field by ensuring all players have the same view of the action. This prevents any advantage one player might have from having their own full screen.
However, split-screen gaming also has its limitations. As the screen is divided to accommodate multiple players, the size of each player's perspective may be reduced, impacting visibility and immersion. Additionally, modern online multiplayer capabilities have reduced the reliance on split-screen for multiplayer experiences, as players can connect from different locations using internet connections.

Overall, split-screen content in video games provides a unique and social way to enjoy multiplayer gameplay, fostering interaction and camaraderie among players.

Cyberpunkd

Chatgpt:

Split-screen is a feature commonly found in video games that allows multiple players to share a single screen simultaneously, each occupying their own designated portion of the screen. This feature is particularly popular in local multiplayer games where players can play together in the same physical location. The split-screen layout divides the screen into sections, typically horizontally or vertically, giving each player a view of their character's perspective and surroundings.

Split-screen content brings several advantages and gameplay experiences to video games:

1. Local Multiplayer: Split-screen enables friends or family members to play together without the need for multiple gaming consoles or devices. This promotes social interaction and friendly competition in a shared space.
  2. Cooperative Play: Players can work together within the same game world, coordinating their actions and strategies to achieve common goals. This fosters teamwork and communication among players.
  3. Versus Mode: Split-screen is often used for competitive multiplayer experiences. Players can engage in head-to-head battles, races, sports competitions, or other forms of direct competition, enhancing the excitement and intensity of the gameplay.
  4. Shared Exploration: In games with open worlds or expansive environments, split-screen allows players to explore the game world together, discovering secrets and tackling challenges collaboratively.
  5. Synchronous Experience: Split-screen provides a sense of immediacy and shared experience. Players can react to each other's actions in real-time, leading to spontaneous and unpredictable gameplay moments.
  6. Local Tournaments and Parties: Split-screen games are a popular choice for gaming parties and tournaments. Players can gather in the same location for a fun and engaging gaming event.
  7. Customization and Control: Some split-screen games offer customization options, allowing players to adjust the screen layout, choose their preferred perspective, or modify other gameplay settings to suit their preferences.
  8. Nostalgia and Retro Gaming: Split-screen gameplay has a nostalgic appeal, harkening back to the days of classic multiplayer games where players would gather around a single TV to play together.
  9. Balance and Fairness: Split-screen can level the playing field by ensuring all players have the same view of the action. This prevents any advantage one player might have from having their own full screen.
However, split-screen gaming also has its limitations. As the screen is divided to accommodate multiple players, the size of each player's perspective may be reduced, impacting visibility and immersion. Additionally, modern online multiplayer capabilities have reduced the reliance on split-screen for multiplayer experiences, as players can connect from different locations using internet connections.

Overall, split-screen content in video games provides a unique and social way to enjoy multiplayer gameplay, fostering interaction and camaraderie among players.
Chat GPT smarter than some posters in this thread.

Gambit2483

So much for it’s the same game with lower resolution and lower frame rate 🤣🤣

The beginning of the end, feel sorry for people duped into buying it
I don't. You get what you pay for. Besides I was led to believe most who bought the Series S don't even care about stuff like resolutions and framerates. I'm sure they won't care about losing a split screen, something most games don't even use anymore.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think you have to give them a bit more credit, they are still chasing thier own top quality exclusives, the fruit of which is just starting to show. Slower pace than they had hoped for sure.....

The only reason switch does so well despite being older hardware is a that its a handheld.
Put that same configuration out as a console and it's a massive flop.
They're buying multiplatform games as exclusives by preventing releases on competitor platforms. Sorry, I have 0 respect for them, especially because they preach the complete opposite.

Bridges

I personally don't see the issue with having certain features not available on S. The distinction is strange in the first place because there are already plenty of games that have performance mode on X but not on S. I guess it's supposed to be for gameplay features and not fidelity features, but as long as the games are still actually playable on both I don't think it should be that big of a deal.

Devil's advocate though, if you bought an S and expected full parity this would probably be pretty shitty. I'd reckon the Venn diagram of Baldurs Gate players on S and players that would use the splitscreen is probably low, but if it happened to say, CoD or Halo splitscreen, that could ruffle some feathers.

I have an X so this is only good news for me.

bender

What time is it?
Rock and a hard place or so to speak. You are bring your audience the opportunity to play one of the years biggest games while eroding the confidence of some of your Series S audience and of development teams of smaller/less popular titles that had the same concerns with the parity clause.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They're buying multiplatform games as exclusives by preventing releases on competitor platforms. Sorry, I have 0 respect for them, especially because they preach the complete opposite.

You don't have to respect them for trying to improve thier portfolio in order to recognize that they are trying to get better games for thier console. That's also ignoring all of thier in house stuff too.

As far as preaching one thing and doing another, I think the Activision information revealed proves both sony and ms are two faced. There's no white knight here, just shades of deceit. Both companies are reaching for profit, not truth and "the best" for gamers.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Rock and a hard place or so to speak. You are bring your audience the opportunity to play one of the years biggest games while eroding the confidence of some of your Series S audience and of development teams of smaller/less popular titles that had the same concerns with the parity clause.
This confuses me a bit because my understanding was that the Series S audience doesn't really care about the technical stuff as long as the game more or less plays, i.e. they are less fickle about what they are and aren't getting.

You can't pay half the price of the console without at least resigning yourself to the fact that you just aren't getting the full exact experience on some level.

Last edited:
That’s more of a feature, no? Unless I’m confused on what content means in gaming.

130-04 Featured Game Modes

Tools Needed:
  • 1 x Xbox One
  • 1 x Xbox One S
  • 1 x Xbox One X
  • 1 x Xbox Series X Dev Kit (using Xbox Series X|S retail console mode)
Test Steps
  1. Sign into an Xbox profile and launch the title.
  2. Locate an access all featured game modes.
  3. Repeat all steps above across the same generation of devices and ensure all game modes are identical on each device.
Expected Result
Identical game modes must be offered across the same generation of devices.
Pass Examples
  1. All consoles from the same generation of devices provide the same set of identical game modes.
Fail Examples
  1. One or more consoles from same generation of devices provides different game modes based on their same generation console type.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
This may have been mentioned already in the last 8 pages that I am too lazy to read, but isn't this a lawsuit waiting to happen? Microsoft advertised parity as a selling point for the Xbox Series S, and now they're being told that one of the biggest game releases of the year isn't going to have feature parity. That seems like a slam-dunk for a false advertisement lawsuit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Hit them with reality but it won't sink in.

As you know, phil made this comment in reference to disabled gamers...but these fanboys use it as their number one bullet of ammunition in the console wars.

Kinda pathetic imo to use a statement that was shouting out disabled players and how developers should work to enable them to play more games is used in the console wars.

But, they will use it so much to rewrite history and create their own narrative. Kinda really pathetic when I think about it.

damidu

This may have been mentioned already in the last 8 pages that I am too lazy to read, but isn't this a lawsuit waiting to happen? Microsoft advertised parity as a selling point for the Xbox Series S, and now they're being told that one of the biggest game releases of the year isn't going to have feature parity. That seems like a slam-dunk for a false advertisement lawsuit.
probably already brewing,
are any of the series s owners around here looking into it?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hit them with reality but it won't sink in.

As you know, phil made this comment in reference to disabled gamers...but these fanboys use it as their number one bullet of ammunition in the console wars.

Kinda pathetic imo to use a statement that was shouting out disabled players and how developers should work to enable them to play more games is used in the console wars.

But, they will use it so much to rewrite history and create their own narrative. Kinda really pathetic when I think about it.
Except even Xbox is running with it being written inside my battery compartment of the 20th anniversary controller (as someone else pointed out)

So I will stop using the Tweet and just use my own picture

JEBkOTP.jpg

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I daren't use mine...it looks too nice lol

That decanter and glasses though! Dude, where did you get that?

Amazon:

I wasn't about to go out into the world when a trillion-dollar company was ready and willing to deliver whatever I need to my doorstep in two days.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I’m confused why these memes about BG3 being exclusive when it was always known to be coming to Xbox.
PS have nothing else for this year and Xbox is making noise with Starfield... AND BG3 happened to also be RPG that is highly acclaimed. Also Sony doesn't have a single RPG apart from FF16 and that one is third party + for a whole different audience.

Basically Sony have nothing to compete with Starfield in the exclusive space so some gotta make for it lol

Incredible that they dropped the parity clause and people still find a way to bitch and moan lol

Now deliver Splitscreen Halo Infinite on Series X and PC.
The point is that there was no way to win. Microsoft created the situation in the first place and they could not resolve it happily, the same way Sony can't resolve how crappy PS3 runs Skyrim.

ulantan

PS have nothing else for this year and Xbox is making noise with Starfield... AND BG3 happened to also be RPG that is highly acclaimed. Also Sony doesn't have a single RPG apart from FF16 and that one is third party + for a whole different audience.

Basically Sony have nothing to compete with Starfield in the exclusive space so some gotta make for it lol

Kataploom

Gold Member

Damn you're right, I've seen so little hype for that game I forgot it's coming out lol

Hopefully a bit if both. If this is what it took for MS to get rid of that stupid clause then so be it
Phil said in a recent interviewed when asked about BG3 that they've been "learning from devs" or whatever, so maybe it's not the only case but won't also mean everyone can remove features from XSS version.

For starter, the XSS is just the XSX version with downgraded graphics (not another version developed for it or so) so removing features might be more work than leaving stuff as they are and tune the graphical settings for the machine. BG3 is the huge exception and it's not that it's impossible, it's that they'd take more time to make it work properly.

Gambit2483

Unless that is how you were marketed the product in the first place.
Less framerates and lower resolution is technically not the same experience, e.g. playing a game @450p 30fps is a different experience from playing @4k 60fps.

They knew from day 1 they were paying less for a lesser experience.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Less framerates and lower resolution is technically not the same experience, e.g. playing a game @450p 30fps is a different experience from playing @4k 60fps.

They knew from day 1 they were paying less for a lesser experience.

And Series S was marketed as such. It being the 1440p little brother to the 4K Series X. Comparing resolutions or other graphical flourishes to missing features like co-op is absurd.

Gambit2483

Damn you're right, I've seen so little hype for that game I forgot it's coming out lol

Phil said in a recent interviewed when asked about BG3 that they've been "learning from devs" or whatever, so maybe it's not the only case but won't also mean everyone can remove features from XSS version.

For starter, the XSS is just the XSX version with downgraded graphics (not another version developed for it or so) so removing features might be more work than leaving stuff as they are and tune the graphical settings for the machine. BG3 is the huge exception and it's not that it's impossible, it's that they'd take more time to make it work properly.
If more and more devs face issues that cause them to delay or just not be able to release on Xbox then I guarantee this won't be a "one off" thing. Especially now that they have set precedence.

Unless MS wants the narrative to be "Series S holds back Xbox, just get PS5"

Gambit2483

And Series S was marketed as such. It being the 1440p little brother to the 4K Series X. Comparing resolutions or other graphical flourishes to missing features like co-op is absurd.
My point exactly, they are not getting the full experience because they didn't pay the full price, whether that's graphically or now, as we all knew would happen one day, otherwise. If you really want to blame someone blame MS for lying to them for the sake of getting as many gamepass subscriptions as possible .

bender

What time is it?
If you really want to blame someone blame MS for lying to them for the sake of getting as many gamepass subscriptions as possible .

Reread my posts. My sights are squarely on the marketing of the Series S and the recent decision to overturn the parity clause. What will be more interesting is the ramifications of this precedent moving forward. If I had invested in a Series S and the Xbox ecosystem, I'd be fairly concerned.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If more and more devs face issues that cause them to delay or just not be able to release on Xbox then I guarantee this won't be a "one off" thing. Especially now that they have set precedence.

Unless MS wants the narrative to be "Series S holds back Xbox, just get PS5"
That won't happen though, if fucking Immortals of the Aveum can run at 60 fps even with graphical cuts, as long as there's no very niche feature that pushes too much the ram like Split screen in an open world game, no dev will need that.

Also we don't know how BG3 works inside and Larian is pretty confident they can make it work with enough time anyway so it's probably a problem very specific to this case.

Also let's be honest, basically no dev out there is pushing game design systems like Larian is, which game is also PC first and foremost, we know nothing about how console versions are, they don't have resources to release those versions same day than PC version, they rushed a lot the final act of the game, so this is probably they biting way more than they can eat with their resources, and the game is very complex, literally the exception that made part of western industry cry on the internet.

There are too many factors that make this case difficult to replicate anywhere else in my opinion.

Top Bottom