• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law |OT| A Lawyer Show

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Just finished
Anyone still watching this?
4 episodes in and im getting a weird vibe from the show. Its almost like the actors have this weird look on their faces "i know this show is terrible and im embarassed to be in it but hey what can you do?"
The new episode... I liked it A LOT! It was funny and fun. Light hearted like every episode so far. Mid credits scene was cute. Love Wong!

They look like they're having fun... Not sure how you got that take but ok. LoL

Last edited:

ManaByte

“Everyone loves Wong. It’s like giving the show Twitter armor for a week.”

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

sol_bad

Man, episode 4 was fun and silly. Magicians tampering with potentially world ending powers and they take it to court. LMMFAO!

Wong is so great in this, so was Madisynn.

And what a jack ass at the end, who would run out like that on the real Jen. Both versions of Jen are hawt.

Will be interesting to see Titania next episode, that actress is hawt as well.

pramod

Banned
Its not even featured on the Disney plus front page anymore. If they are so proud of this great show why do they seem like they are hiding it?

pramod

Banned
Also i just find it weird that Jen would NOT want to just stay in Hulk form the whole time.

I mean sure shes tall and green. But seems like Hulk females unlike males actually become more beautiful and not uglier/more savage. What is the downside? I mean the last episode made this plainly obvious.

Maybe eventually she does, just like in the comics.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Man, episode 4 was fun and silly. Magicians tampering with potentially world ending powers and they take it to court. LMMFAO!

Wong is so great in this, so was Madisynn.

And what a jack ass at the end, who would run out like that on the real Jen. Both versions of Jen are hawt.

Will be interesting to see Titania next episode, that actress is hawt as well.
Totally agree. Really enjoyed this episode.

Madflavor

Bruh.

Come on!

Nothing wrong with being a 6 -7. A 7 is above average in looks, and I cannot say Tatiana is higher than above average.

And btw, I'm not saying I wouldn't bang. I'm just being realistic about her looks. We used to rely on TV, Movies and Magazines to see beautiful women. Now they're everywhere thanks to social media. There are random Twitch and Instagram girls that blow most "beautiful" Hollywood actresses completely out of the water.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Nothing wrong with being a 6 -7. A 7 is above average in looks, and I cannot say Tatiana is higher than above average.

And btw, I'm not saying I wouldn't bang. I'm just being realistic about her looks. We used to rely on TV, Movies and Magazines to see beautiful women. Now they're everywhere thanks to social media. There are random Twitch and Instagram girls that blow most "beautiful" Hollywood actresses completely out of the water.
*Canada will remember this.*

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
It's interesting to see so many positive takes on the last episode.

Episode 4 almost lost me. It was entirely pointless and most of the plot elements felt forced and unnatural.
  • Jen not getting matches + going on a date with a sleazeball who didn't even pay for drinks... That's... Not how dating is right now. Even as a 6 -7 (which IMO, she's better looking than that) -- she'd have droves of guys lining up to pay for her drinks. For a show that's supposed to be making social commentary, the writers are pretty detached from reality
  • The "perfect man" cliche (buff, attractive, prestigious job, reads feminist books, not threatened by a woman that's 10X stronger, sensitive etc.) was super lazy writing for some cheap laughs and unrealistic character drama
  • The entire magician plot was pointless and felt like a lazy set up to get Wong in another episode
Wong was pretty much the only thing I enjoyed about this episode -- and even then, I would honestly just rather watch a comedy series about Wong's adventures. The only thing She-hulk added to this entire episode was flat humor and feminist commentary. And this is coming from someone who thinks Tatiana is a phenomenal actress...

Last edited:

AlphaDump

Gold Member

Episode 4 almost lost me. It was entirely pointless and most of the plot elements felt forced and unnatural.
  • Jen not getting matches + going on a date with a sleazeball who didn't even pay for drinks... That's... Not how dating is right now. Even as a 6 -7 (which IMO, she's better looking than that) -- she'd have droves of guys lining up to pay for her drinks. For a show that's supposed to be making social commentary, the writers are pretty detached from reality
  • The "perfect man" cliche (buff, attractive, prestigious job, reads feminist books, not threatened by a woman that's 10X stronger, sensitive etc.) was super lazy writing for some cheap laughs and unrealistic character drama
  • The entire magician plot was pointless and felt like a lazy set up to get Wong in another episode
Wong was pretty much the only thing I enjoyed about this episode -- and even then, I would honestly just rather watch a comedy series about Wong's adventures. The only thing She-hulk added to this entire episode was flat humor and feminist commentary. And this is coming from someone who thinks Tatiana is a phenomenal actress...

I am totally with you. Episode 4, at least for me, was by far the weakest one yet.

Everyone is kind of a dumbass, and the marvel humor is all over the place at the expense of its "messaging". It's just all kind of weightless.

I feel bad for the lead bc with competent writing she would have knocked it out of the park. I'd like to see her in other stuff.

wondermega

My reception to this has been pretty lukewarm (from my earlier posts) given episodes 1-3, but I legitimately enjoyed #4.. Doesn't fix some major issues I have with the show, but finally getting to some of her "slice of life stuff" even if cheesy/poorly written is still fun to watch. The humor is actually getting kind of enjoyable. I still have to laugh that this show is so expensive with the constant CG shots but she is literally just walking or sitting for 90% of them so even that, to me, is pretty hilarious. But it works well for what it is. Still looking forward to at least some kind of interesting action, hopefully, with a powered-up Wrecking Crew but in the meantime I am gonna still be happy with whatever else comes next so long as they keep up this pace.

The show isn't fantastic on anything but the characters (for the most part) are endearing and I like how different this is from what else is on order. So long as I am not expecting any kind of actual Hulk action then it is not bad. Madisynn (or whatever) was just literally dumb fun to watch.

RAÏSanÏa

6 drops of blood seems reasonable to escape a lava pit. Opening a portal specifically to Wong with a still bleeding beating heart and setting off a chain of events. Maybe there's evidence of more going on.

FireFly

Well, the writers also tried to establish that Jen is really bad at dating. I mean using your LinkedIn profile picture is hardly a good start... So I doubt that she can be trusted to match with the right people. And the "perfect" guy just told her everything she wanted to hear and only seemed to care about getting with She-Hulk.

The magician plot wasn't super deep but did raise the issue of how real "magic" is seen in the MCU and potentially sets up Mephisto and hints at Secret Wars with the dimensional incursions.

MastaKiiLA

This show is best when it's in the courtroom IMO. I find the cases this season to be funny and interesting. I'm not a fan of the relationship stuff, but I just don't like it in anything I watch.

The latest episode was great. Wong continues to be a great feature.

RAÏSanÏa

651px-Francisco_de_Goya_y_Lucientes_-_Witches%27_Sabbath_-_WGA10007.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more of this folk horror element turned urban in the MCU.
A conversation between Madisynn and Agatha almost writes itself.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Well, the writers also tried to establish that Jen is really bad at dating. I mean using your LinkedIn profile picture is hardly a good start... So I doubt that she can be trusted to match with the right people. And the "perfect" guy just told her everything she wanted to hear and only seemed to care about getting with She-Hulk.

The magician plot wasn't super deep but did raise the issue of how real "magic" is seen in the MCU and potentially sets up Mephisto and hints at Secret Wars with the dimensional incursions.

I understand they're trying to establish that she's bad at dating. But again, it's just lazy writing / crappy self-insertion of the writers. Not only is the whole "tinder-dating" trope super low-hanging fruit and been done to death for half a decade, it just doesn't land. Any moderately attractive girl, no matter how bad she is at dating, would have a hard time relating to this.

It's clear what the purpose of this setup was. Again, as you say, partly to illustrate that she is bad at dating. And also, to create a juxtaposition between the sketchy disinterested guy and Mr. Perfect before pulling the rug out from under Jen. But ultimately, I think the entire purpose of this subplot was to make Jen question whether people like her for her or because she's a Hulk... And that would be a moderately interesting emotional struggle if the setup wasn't so contrived, forced, and lazy.

As far as the magic thing... Agreed, it was funny to see how "magic" is viewed in MCU post Avengers... For about 15 seconds. That joke did land (empty seats, people falling asleep, etc.) -- but the plot-line beyond that is once again contrived, lazy, and unnecessary. Who cares if they're hinting at Secret Wars? I never understood this from MCU fans. Fan service like cameos or references are not sufficient to making something enjoyable, IMO. They're nice little cherries on top -- but if you put cherries on top a of a shit sandwich it's still a shit sandwich.

They could've done something way cooler to do accomplish both, hinting at the future and create an interesting legal case. You want to play with dimensional incursions AND make an interesting legal case for Jen? There's a million creative, fun ways to this. You could have an interdimensional smuggler that smuggles beings / objects from other dimensions into the USA. You could have a property dispute where a giant block of vibranium fell through a portal between two properties -- and no one can move it or split it but everyone wants it. You could have a mystery episode with impossible evidence, where the crime was actually committed by a doppelganger from another dimension.

Instead, we got a failing magician who trained under Wong accidentally open a portal into hell to keep his audience from falling asleep -- and the legal case is a "cease and desist" because...? Because they wanted Wong in another episode? Just trash.

FireFly

I understand they're trying to establish that she's bad at dating. But again, it's just lazy writing / crappy self-insertion of the writers. Not only is the whole "tinder-dating" trope super low-hanging fruit and been done to death for half a decade, it just doesn't land. Any moderately attractive girl, no matter how bad she is at dating, would have a hard time relating to this.

It's clear what the purpose of this setup was. Again, as you say, partly to illustrate that she is bad at dating. And also, to create a juxtaposition between the sketchy disinterested guy and Mr. Perfect before pulling the rug out from under Jen. But ultimately, I think the entire purpose of this subplot was to make Jen question whether people like her for her or because she's a Hulk... And that would be a moderately interesting emotional struggle if the setup wasn't so contrived, forced, and lazy.

As far as the magic thing... Agreed, it was funny to see how "magic" is viewed in MCU post Avengers... For about 15 seconds. That joke did land (empty seats, people falling asleep, etc.) -- but the plot-line beyond that is once again contrived, lazy, and unnecessary. Who cares if they're hinting at Secret Wars? I never understood this from MCU fans. Fan service like cameos or references are not sufficient to making something enjoyable, IMO. They're nice little cherries on top -- but if you put cherries on top a of a shit sandwich it's still a shit sandwich.

They could've done something way cooler to do accomplish both, hinting at the future and create an interesting legal case. You want to play with dimensional incursions AND make an interesting legal case for Jen? There's a million creative, fun ways to this. You could have an interdimensional smuggler that smuggles beings / objects from other dimensions into the USA. You could have a property dispute where a giant block of vibranium fell through a portal between two properties -- and no one can move it or split it but everyone wants it. You could have a mystery episode with impossible evidence, where the crime was actually committed by a doppelganger from another dimension.

Instead, we got a failing magician who trained under Wong accidentally open a portal into hell to keep his audience from falling asleep -- and the legal case is a "cease and desist" because...? Because they wanted Wong in another episode? Just trash.
Well a friend of a friend had a Tinder date where at the end of the date, the other guy reached in for the expected kiss, only to start licking her face. And if you search for nightmare Tinder dates, you can find plenty of stuff that makes what is in the show seem tame. But yeah, it's not expected in the sense that it's not what 99% of the users are going to see. So yeah, if the show was intending to put realistic situations into a comedic light, like say Master of None, I think it would be out of place. But to me this show is closer thematically to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia than it is to Daredevil. Or Deadpool for a superhero property. Like how can you take a character like Madisynn remotely seriously? Likewise, the "cease and desist" thing is the kind of legal case you would expect to see in It's Always Sunny, where it's not even expected to make sense. And Charlie Cox himself had this to say about his appearance:

"What was fun about being in She-Hulk for this one episode is... obviously the tone of this show is radically different, and in order for it to be appropriate for me to be in that show, I had to adapt a little bit my Matt Murdock so he was in a place in his life where he’s having fun,"
https://www.ign.com/articles/darede...he-hulk-what-to-expect-from-the-disney-series

So basically the serious Matt Murdock simply wouldn't work on the show, because it has a certain level of ridiculousness that doesn't fit in a serious legal drama. I agree that this doesn't give the show a free pass, and it needs to be comic in an interesting and entertaining way. In that regard I can see that if the jokes didn't land for you, there isn't really much of the episode left to stand on its own. Arguably unlike other episodes which had more connective tissue to the rest of the MCU and the plot as a whole. Another analogy is a capsule episode of Star Trek where they try and do a period drama via the Holodeck. If you're not into Star Trek's characters, that's probably going to seem like 40 minutes of complete garbage.

Last edited:

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
a million creative, fun ways to this. You could have an interdimensional smuggler that smuggles beings / objects from other dimensions into the USA. You could have a property dispute where a giant block of vibranium fell through a portal between two properties -- and no one c

Well a friend of a friend had a Tinder date where at the end of the date, the other guy reached in for the expected kiss, only to start licking her face. And if you search for nightmare Tinder dates, you can find plenty of stuff that makes what is in the show seem tame. But yeah, it's not expected in the sense that it's not what 99% of the users are going to see. So yeah, if the show was intending to put realistic situations into a comedic light, like say Master of None, I think it would be out of place. But to me this show is closer thematically to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia than it is to Daredevil. Or Deadpool for a superhero property. Like how can you take a character like Madisynn remotely seriously? Likewise, the "cease and desist" thing is the kind of legal case you would expect to see in It's Always Sunny, where it's not even expected to make sense. And Charlie Cox himself had this to say about his appearance:

"What was fun about being in She-Hulk for this one episode is... obviously the tone of this show is radically different, and in order for it to be appropriate for me to be in that show, I had to adapt a little bit my Matt Murdock so he was in a place in his life where he’s having fun,"
https://www.ign.com/articles/darede...he-hulk-what-to-expect-from-the-disney-series

So basically the serious Matt Murdock simply wouldn't work on the show, because it has a certain level of ridiculousness that doesn't fit in a serious legal drama. I agree that this doesn't give the show a free pass, and it needs to be comic in an interesting and entertaining way. In that regard I can see that if the jokes didn't land for you, there isn't really much of the episode left to stand on its own. Arguably unlike other episodes which had more connective tissue to the rest of the MCU and the plot as a whole. Another analogy is a capsule episode of Star Trek where they try and do a period drama via the Holodeck. If you're not into Star Trek's characters, that's probably going to seem like 40 minutes of complete garbage.
I don't mean to say that the show needs to be realistic -- I'm just pointing out that the writing in this episode was lazy and contrived. I agree there are lots of Tinder horror stories -- so why not do something truly interesting and awful then? It would make for much better television.

As far as the tone of the show -- I totally agree. I like the laid back comedic tone of the show (and why I'm still watching). That's why it bothered me how contrived and unnecessary everything in this episode was. It all just felt so forced and out of place. You don't need cameos and phase 5 references being shoehorned into every episode. I'm also fine with a show taking a political stance -- but it also feels super disingenuous to trumpet feminism while lazily misrepresenting the reality of something like modern dating nearly every episode. It was present in the previous episodes, but maybe I've just had enough.

I would have no issues with this show, even as a female-empowerment narrative (which, it kind of has to be given the whole "She" of it all), if it had better writing.

But hey, maybe I'm not the target audience for this.

RAÏSanÏa

I looked up quotes from Bad Feminist and it was funny. The sort of thing a hot doctor would read to avoid minefields. From his perspective it would sort of be like dating a reverse werewolf.

Top Bottom