• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shpeshal_Nick & Jez Cordez: "Don't be surprised if Halo and Hellblade II releases on Playstation"

Varteras

Gold Member
It doesn’t bother me in the least because I have had heard Phil and Ybarra when he was still with Xbox say it was the goal to be everywhere.

I brought it up here a few times over the years Phil approached Sony about putting their MP games first there and pushed really hard for Halo Infinite to be the first to be on PS

Phil also approached Sony about getting Gamepass on PS in previous years

Personally I like the move because it adds more player pool to MS games eventually

I'm not sure what the future looks like, but I can't help but think it's going to be one where even if consoles still exist, they will be a much smaller segment of the market overall. To where it will be far more important for these companies to produce hit games that are on all, or nearly all, devices. Seeing Death Stranding on mobile devices finally made it click with me where the industry is quite possibly heading. It looks to me like Microsoft is just moving on to where they think the money really will be.

ByWatterson

South Africa Wave GIF by Storyful

Porcile

Interesting to see the end of Xbox. This definitely all started back in the 360 days when they went all in on Kinect trying to force people to engage with gaming exactly how they wanted instead of letting things happen organically. They have tried to strong arm the industry and consumers multiple times since, all attempts failing, and things have just gotten worse and worse for them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It doesn’t bother me in the least because I have had heard Phil and Ybarra when he was still with Xbox say it was the goal to be everywhere.

I brought it up here a few times over the years Phil approached Sony about putting their MP games first there and pushed really hard for Halo Infinite to be the first to be on PS

Personally I like the move because it adds more player pool to MS games eventually
Yup.

Who cares. Xbox games were on PC long time ago even during the 360 days and all the Bethesda and Activision games have been kept on PS and Switch the whole time.

For me, the key thing is keeping GP around for dirt cheap (with the Gold upgrade transfer) and hopefully the next Xbox system having a 4k optical drive so I dont have to buy a dedicated 4k player (unless I keep X, but I always trade/sell my systems like when I sold One X plus some old games and an extra gamepad on Craigslist or Kijiji for $450 CDN!). Some reason 4k players are still lingering around the $300-400 CDN price. Maybe in a couple years they will drop to $200. If this was the DVD/BR days, the 4k players would probably already be down to $100!

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Just waiting on ex Nintendo IP/Rare games to start arriving on Switch/ Switch 2. I would buy KI Anniversary Edition on Switch for the nostalgia alone. As long as I have crossplay like every other version. Rare Replay would be lovely too. Then Pefect Dark 3 and Banjo Threei for Switch 2/XBox/PC would be brilliant too.

Last edited:

Okay, I get this. But help a layman out--if their plan was always to just kind of...go third party, what was Sonys reason for not doing it? I dunno.

bender

What time is it?
Okay, I get this. But help a layman out--if their plan was always to just kind of...go third party, what was Sonys reason for not doing it? I dunno.

Who gets the 30% of game sales, DLC and MTX that spawn from the service. /wild ass guess

I really want to hear from Phil. I want to know if he is the one pushing this or being pushed into it. My theory is it is a little of both. I believe he has pushed for games everywhere but through Game Pass. I am not sure he was wanting to go full multiplatform because he knows it would be the end of the Xbox console. That might explain both his conflicting quotes/actions on the topic over recent years and his recent silence.

I would not be surprised to see Phil announce he's leaving Microsoft. Many will see it as him getting fired, but if it were me it would be a lifeboat. Microsoft is headed in a direction that is going to negatively impact the industry.

Who gets the 30% of game sales, DLC and MTX that spawn from the service. /wild ass guess

Okay, a "what's my pie slice' scenario. But if your competitor is approaching you about putting(in a sense) their mascot, akin to Sonic showing up on Nintendo all those years ago, I mean..

Ybarra said he felt Phil wanted Sony players to log into a free XBL account and he thinks Sony said no to this not wanting to inflate XBL numbers

Will be curious what the new “conditions” are

Who bent the knee type of thing

I feel like this will bring positive results to Xbox. I think it’s as simple as releasing multiplayer games on PS5. Keep the rest for 2-3 years.

This will revive Halo.

Interesting to see the end of Xbox. This definitely all started back in the 360 days when they went all in on Kinect trying to force people to engage with gaming exactly how they wanted instead of letting things happen organically. They have tried to strong arm the industry and consumers multiple times since, all attempts failing, and things have just gotten worse and worse for them.

The Kinect was the start of it, but the real culprit was the XBone and its focus on other media, digital-only gateway to present day Microsoft's subscription focus. The final nail in the coffin was simply interest rates and Microsoft's demand as a public company for growth and short term profits. I think Phil would have been given some more time if easy money was still a thing, but now that ZIRP is done, companies can no longer bankroll loss leading endeavors and play the waiting game. The fact that this decision is coming so suddenly, and in stark contrast to publicly communicated direction as recent as a couple months ago, means this is coming right from the top and is larger than the Xbox division.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Important to remember not day and date so it will launch first on PC and XBX GP then PS5 2/3 months later which isn’t too bad.
It'll launch as soon as the bugs are cleared and the game is beta-tested by other paid players.

Xbox knows to give PlayStation players a polished, refined, bug-free experience that they are used to 😛

AmuroChan

Halo on PlayStation is not a new rumor. Colin from LSM mentioned years ago that there were internal discussions within MS about a potential port of MCC to PS. Now that the floodgates are starting to open, I would expect that rumor to come to fruition in the not so distant future.

skit_data

Jeez, Phils signature on that 20th anniversary controller almost will come off as a cruel joke on some people if all these rumors are true

bender

What time is it?
How does a grown ass man get so attached to a video game platform that this development visibly causes him emotional pain to just hear it? If any of you here are like this, please. Get help.

Maybe it's an age thing and what you grew up with? Sony's shift to focusing on blockbusters was disappointing considering how much I liked them back in the day but was pretty easy to shrug off. You could probably fuck me up with Nintendo going away though.

ElRenoRaven

Needless to say if Halo goes to Playstation I don't just want MCC. I want MCC, Halo 5, and Halo Infinite all on it.

I'd buy them all yet again because I loves me my Halo Campaigns.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So, what's the point in owning an Xbox?
GamePass.

You’ll be paying £10 a month to play on Xbox day one or you’ll (potentially) be paying £70 per game and waiting 6 to 12 months to play it on PlayStation. But the choice will be yours.

If both systems are day one for games then to be perfectly honest, I’m glad I didn’t pay £140 for both Starfield and Forza - for me they were both extremely disappointing so glad I got to experience them with my GP subscription. But if I was just a Sony pony I’d be £140 down on two turds.

But again, the choice will be yours.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I'm happy to be able to play Hellblade 2 on PS5 afterall.

As for the rest of Xbox games, really couldn't care less about em.

Kumomeme

if this really happen, then this is a line that Microsoft/Xbox wont be able to turn back after cross through. especially later once they taste bigger games revenue on their competitor console space than their own due to bigger market base which is something that is come from a fault of their own hands. Eventually this could lead to a situation that Xbox is the one 'need' Sony/Nintendo not the other way around.

and if they expect this would 'forced' Sony or Nintendo to release their games on Xbox,

Suranne Jones Drama GIF by BBC

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
MCC should be theoretically viable for Switch, Right? Just cut the remastered graphics from Halo 2 & leave the OG graphics setting and it should be good to go.
Switch could definately handle it all at 30fps. Personally I’d rather they launched it as a Switch 2 title with 60fps.

Top Bottom