• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Single Play or Multiplayer? Your primary?

Do you play primarly Single or Mutliplayer games?

• Single Player mostly

Votes: 253 91.3%
  • Multi-Player mostly

Votes: 24 8.7%

• Total voters

StueyDuck

I say multiplayer... but the good old days mp. The ps2/xbox/GameCube gen and prior gens multiplayer

Where it was the same single player campaign but they just copy pasted the hero twice for co-op.

I miss that. Now gamers need an in world reason for co-op and seperate characters and skins and loot blah blah blah. Just give me two marine dudes and let me blast aliens with a mate

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Single player. No exceptions. Wasted too many years on stressful online only stuff like Overwatch and I'm not going back.

Duchess

I'm 99.999999% a single player gamer.

I did have a lot of fun playing Elden Ring co-op for a short period where I had PS+; I requested some assistance in taking down the final boss, then spent a few more days helping others do the same. Otherwise, I'm not really into online multiplayer stuff.

magnumpy

I play multiplayer games but purely in offline single player mode. the specifics vary by the game, some will offer simulated multiplayer with AI bots while some multiplayer games allow you to play in an offline single player story mode (think halo infinite, this is ideal).

multi player over the internet is gutter trash and I refuse to lower myself to the standards of ping and lag pretend gaming. couch co-op games worked out ok back in the 90s but in the hell-scape future we currently live in there is only pain and suffering and simulated gameplay. may the lord have mercy on our souls :(

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I haven’t played multiplayer in years. Did CSS for like 2-3 years non stop and I think it killed my compeitive drive.

Neolombax

If I play a lot of Destiny 2 but as a solo PvEplayer, and I also join matchmade activities but without mic/chat, does that still count as MP? Haha. I have never raided, no plans to do so. I sometimes dabble in PvP but not often. I've recently got quite into BF2042 when it became free on PS+. I find it to be quite a chill game. Just recently finished Wolfenstein The New Collosus, and on the way to complete Doom Eternal, which is proving to be a strenuous experience thus far.

Vick

Last Multiplayer (both local and online) I recall playing and enjoying were Battlefront 2015 and Uncharted 4.
Always been a single player guy, some consistent exceptions were made during the 360/PS3 era, such as Gears, Modern Warfare, Uncharted, Killzone and Factions, but nowadays 100% single player.

Usually single player but I would play more well made co ops and multiplayers online...like the Wii U had all kinds of experiences on it, single players, asymmetric local multiplayers, co op, online multiplayer for free, etc.

Rayderism

I'm truly a single player gamer. In fact, during my entire 49 year history of gaming, I've only ever played three online MP games, and they were racing games where it just randomly matches you up and you race, no talking to anyone. I've never played MP on PC ever, just two on console, and one on a handheld.

Now, if you mean the type of MP where I have a friend with controller 2 in their hands, that's a different story.....

To be fair, I'm not totally against the prospect of playing MP games, I'm just not into FPS games at all, which seems to be the type that dominate MP gaming. (I'd get my ass handed to me if I tried to play one of those...I suck at FPSs) And I like to be able to pause a game when necessary.

Single player but my best gaming experiences were when I was playing Splinter Cell Spies versus Mercenaries mode in Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory.

MikeM

Main single player but still play COD CW and MW2 enough. Somehow manage a 1.16 kd on MW2 and 1.38 on CW, so still decent.

Last edited:

Guwop

Neo Member
Definitely multiplayer. I love playing against actual live players not some stupid computer controlled AI.

Also Single player is just flat out boring.

Fbh

These days probably 70% Single player 30% multiplayer.

Most of my multiplayer playtime is spent with some friends on Rocket League, though occasionally we play some Co-op games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Good 90% of my time is spent in online games.

When I had my Xbox Gears 5 was a massive time sink for me, as was MCC. eFootball was a huge time sink for me too.

Dropping in for 20-40 minutes before bed to play a few games on Rocket League, Smash Ultimate, FIFA 23 or Splatoon 3.

I’ll play a quality single player game, but it’s really only 1-2 a year on average. Played Elden Ring last year. Currently playing TotK.

That being said, I like single player games that are big on game play and not narrative that also lend themselves to short play sessions. Descenders, Tony Hawks, Hades being prime examples.

For me it is just easier and much less daunting to play 30 minutes of self contained online games rather than slowly progress a 100 hour long game by 30 minutes at a time.

I used to play a lot of mutiplayer, until I got addicted for like 6 months and realize MP it's a fucking waste of time, especially PVP, where your stress levels goes to the moon and they offers nothing but stress. Right now I'm 100% in single player games. I've been playing a lot of SP, specially old games that I missed. Co-op games can be fun, but I'm not into them either. :messenger_poop:

ZoukGalaxy

Single player. exclusively.
Multiplayer/Co-op. Never. Ever.
Excited Lets Go GIF

ungalo

I always leaned more on the single player side because of personal tastes, of what interests me in gaming but i still really liked multiplayer, even online multiplayer in the 360 era. I'm becoming more and more allergic to it as time passes, don't know why exactly.

I'd say it's partly because it's repetitive and time consuming by essence, you can be so flexible in your gaming sessions when you play solo games.

Plus i don't feel the same atmosphere i liked in online games back then.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Damn, I thought I was kinda unique being a single player mostly. I am shocked how many people are mostly single player. You go online all you hear about is e sports and live action games. Glad to see the single player lives on strong!

Lupin25

Mostly single-player.

That’s not because I’m adverse to mp, that’s just because most modern mp games have not held my interest up until now. Maybe Counterstrike 2 or The Finals later this yr?

Without sp I would not be gaming right now.

Rockondevil

Used to be majority of my gaming was multiplayer.
These days I don’t know anyone that games really so I just play single player.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I finish a decent amount of single player games, but I spend more time playing multiplayer games, as genres like MMOs, MMORPGs, Online Co-op, and multiplayer FPSs are major time sinks.

Paasei

I finish a decent amount of single player games, but I spend more time playing multiplayer games, as genres like MMOs, MMORPGs, Online Co-op, and multiplayer FPSs are major time sinks.
Multiplayer games also intend to have you committed for a long time. Not that it’s necessarily a bad thing, though. Some are just really fun.

I still like CoD4 because of Promod. That game is from 2007 or 2008. Same with WoW, which I played for a very long time.

I also like R6 Siege. And that covers about the all the significant multiplayer games for me that I still commit to.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is what I find baffling about this industry.
Every time there is a thread like that, we all answer single player and maaaybe tiny bit of mp or none at all.
But then, a single gaas game profit is worth it so much, that studios crap out gaas until they crap out something that earns money....
... so apparently, there is whole other world out there of people playing gaas. And we are like 0,0001% of gamers. This is crazy because I have never met any of these gaas players. I only met few wow players in my life... and I know one bf5 dude.

If You looked at the industry as I do and many of you, it would seem that nobody plays gaas. Yet it's the most popular, biggest form of gaming. I don't get it. There is a conspiracy here somewhere

I played alot of multiplayer when it first started taking off during the ps3 and 360 era. I was 17- 21 years old during that period and we all had alot of free time. During the ps4 era I became single player only and have been since.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Almost exclusively single player. Competitive games don't really interest me, but I do occasionally play cooperative games (been playing Grounded with a friend for a while).

I probably would do more multi-player of I had more friends interested in games beyond CS, League, etc.

Gandih42

This is what I find baffling about this industry.
Every time there is a thread like that, we all answer single player and maaaybe tiny bit of mp or none at all.
But then, a single gaas game profit is worth it so much, that studios crap out gaas until they crap out something that earns money....
... so apparently, there is whole other world out there of people playing gaas. And we are like 0,0001% of gamers. This is crazy because I have never met any of these gaas players. I only met few wow players in my life... and I know one bf5 dude.

If You looked at the industry as I do and many of you, it would seem that nobody plays gaas. Yet it's the most popular, biggest form of gaming. I don't get it. There is a conspiracy here somewhere
I think a big part of that is because most people who follow and talk about the game industry aren't the ones playing mainstream MP/GaaS type games. And I think the younger generation makes up a lot of the MP/GaaS segment.

My girlfriends little brother is one of them. His attention is almost solely on Warzone along with his friends, aside from big mainstream releases like Hogwarts.

Top Bottom